2021-2022 Case Western

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Sounds like there's a good amount to do! It sounds like a lot of summer activities, how about in the winter though? What do people do in the winter for fun? Don't want to just be stuck at home the entire winter haha.
With all due respect, we've been used to being stuck at home during COVID, so I wouldn't worry about it.

That said, be forewarned, the last few winters (except the current one) have been much more mild. Also, school won't close unless it's going to be a super-bad blizzard.

Lots of young people flock over to the art museum for their monthly MIX socials (including during the winter), and CWRU students can take advantage of a lot of discounts including to the Cleveland Orchestra concerts (last I checked). I also agree that the metropolitan area has become more bike-friendly. It's not central California, and some of the hills are killer (to me), but you don't have the congestion of a big city endangering you.

Besides when it comes to concerts, more people will fly to Cleveland because you can probably afford the tickets here vs. in larger cities. Granted, this means we get invaded whenever the Blue Jays or the Raptors play in Cleveland (Canadian invasion... at least when the border was open pre-COVID) during those sports games. When the Rolling Stones played downtown years ago for their stadium tour, people came from everywhere because they either couldn't get seats in their home cities, or they found it more convenient just to book a hotel room and walk to the stadium AND it was cheaper overall.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Have people received WL’s of post interview R’s yet? Does CWRU send out all A’s before dishing those out?
Have you taken a look at some of the earlier pages in this thread before asking? :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I was looking at the 2021 accepted central and they mentioned this so I assumed we would get it as well but idk

Screen Shot 2022-02-27 at 1.05.57 PM.png

• Hmm
Anyone know what type of iPad they give their students?
They gave this year's M1s a 7th generation iPad + apple pencil. Not a pro or air.

It was part of a pilot program and given to students because some pharmacology lecture videos are done using Notability. They said that the M1s will have to return the iPads at the end of this year, but I've also heard rumblings that we will actually get to keep them.

I don't know if its a certainty that the pilot program will continue but I'd think that it probably will.

Reactions: 1 user
They gave this year's M1s a 7th generation iPad + apple pencil. Not a pro or air.

It was part of a pilot program and given to students because some pharmacology lecture videos are done using Notability. They said that the M1s will have to return the iPads at the end of this year, but I've also heard rumblings that we will actually get to keep them.

I don't know if its a certainty that the pilot program will continue but I'd think that it probably will.
So there’s no need to buy an iPad before starting med school here? Because I was considering buying an iPad soon because it makes it easier to take notes on it but may not now if they give us our own iPads.

Alt email just now. Interviewed mid-feb. Super disappointed to say the least as Case was my top choice. Congrats to everyone accepted!

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
Does anyone know how many people get waitlisted? And eventually, get off?

Members don't see this ad :)
Is the Financial Aid portal down for anyone else? When I try to log in it says "An error occurred: ExternalAuthenticationException"

Does anyone know how many people get waitlisted? And eventually, get off?
Apparently, everyone who interviews and is not accepted. As far as getting off, that will vary year to year based on their yield.

From my observation in prior cycles, it's a non-trivial amount, since people with As tend to have other good choices. Their merit aid is non-existent, and need-based aid has disappointed some in the past as compared to other options. Nothing to do but send your LOI and hope for the best. :)

• Care
Their merit aid is non-existent, and need-based aid has disappointed some in the past as compared to other options.
Just to add on, I think they used to have a cap between $30-40k for total institutional aid received, whether merit-based or need-based. Merit-based scholarships have been discontinued since COVID to open up more money for need-based aid. They have a bit more students than some other schools, so they try to spread out their limited funds to as many people as possible. Not sure if there is still a soft cap on total institutional aid received!

Just to add on, I think they used to have a cap between $30-40k for total institutional aid received, whether merit-based or need-based. Merit-based scholarships have been discontinued since COVID to open up more money for need-based aid. They have a bit more students than some other schools, so they try to spread out their limited funds to as many people as possible. Not sure if there is still a soft cap on total institutional aid received!
I have no first hand knowledge about any caps. I just know that in prior cycles some people were very happy with what they received, and others much less so.

Spreading money around sounds great in the abstract, until Case is going to end up costing you $20K+ more per year than an alternative. Mark my words -- based on your post history, you are a prime candidate to end up doing much better elsewhere, and to find yourself posting in 6 weeks or so that it is with a very heavy heart that you are tossing your Case A back into the sea, because it was really one of your faves, and that you hope it goes to one of the gang on SDN. :cool:

This is the very activity that is going to create the WL movement @peacepro is asking about, and plenty of people will be doing it!

Is the Financial Aid portal down for anyone else? When I try to log in it says "An error occurred: ExternalAuthenticationException"
Also not working for me!

Dont go through the email. Go through the Accepted Central site.

Even still. I dont think CWRU has activated your account yet so you cant even log in. You need a CWRU ID

I have no first hand knowledge about any caps. I just know that in prior cycles some people were very happy with what they received, and others much less so.

Spreading money around sounds great in the abstract, until Case is going to end up costing you $20K+ more per year than an alternative. Mark my words -- based on your post history, you are a prime candidate to end up doing much better elsewhere, and to find yourself posting in 6 weeks or so that it is with a very heavy heart that you are tossing your Case A back into the sea, because it was really one of your faves, and that you hope it goes to one of the gang on SDN. :cool:

This is the very activity that is going to create the WL movement @peacepro is asking about, and plenty of people will be doing it!

Aid caps!? :cryi::cryi: noooooooooooooooooooo

I can't find where I saw it for the life of me, but I'll try to keep searching! Like I mentioned previously, absolutely no idea if those are still a thing this cycle, but we should find out sometime in the next two weeks since financial aid awards should be distributed soon.

Edit: cap is $40k total institutional aid according to previous years' sdn thread.

Spreading money around sounds great in the abstract, until Case is going to end up costing you $20K+ more per year than an alternative. Mark my words -- based on your post history, you are a prime candidate to end up doing much better elsewhere
Haha I wish. Depending on financial awards from Case, it'll probably be one of the cheaper options (god bless!). Hope you're having success this cycle @KnightDoc !

Reactions: 2 users

I can't find where I saw it for the life of me, but I'll try to keep searching! Like I mentioned previously, absolutely no idea if those are still a thing this cycle, but we should find out sometime in the next two weeks since financial aid awards should be distributed soon.
Looking back to the past couple of years’ threads, it seems there was a cap at 40k. This is the only place I’ve ever seen a cap referenced. Unfortunate, considering COA is 100k/ yr 😅

• Sad
Looking back to the past couple of years’ threads, it seems there was a cap at 40k. This is the only place I’ve ever seen a cap referenced. Unfortunate, considering COA is 100k/ yr 😅
100k COA???

*sigh*

*digs HPSP recruiter email out of Gmail trash bin*

@CWRU.Sman any chance you can comment on whether or not this cap is still in effect?

100k COA???

*sigh*

*digs HPSP recruiter email out of Gmail trash bin*
That's going to be the number at just about any private school, +/-, since tuition will be $60K+ and living costs ~$30K including rent, food, transportation, healthcare, etc., etc., etc. You can always find ways to save a little here or there, but most private schools will quote a $90K+ COA. This is a reason IS state schools are a popular option for people not otherwise eligible for financial assistance, need based or otherwise. It's also a reason a lot of people dump Case when push comes to shove, in spite of how awesome it is.

How many get off the alternate list each cycle. And how many are on it each cycle?

are there lectures everyday? and are lectures mandatory?

Lectures are usually 3-4x a week. They are usually held 10-12 after IQ. They are not mandatory and are recorded. I would say 60-70% of people don't attend lecture regularly, and they are not necessary to succeed in the curriculum with prep from Boards&Beyond, Amboss, UpToDate, other resources.

@CWRU.Sman is there any update on financial aid? My financial aid application complete email said that award letters would be sent out at the end of February. Just want to make sure I did not miss it somewhere

@CWRU.Sman is there any update on financial aid? My financial aid application complete email said that award letters would be sent out at the end of February. Just want to make sure I did not miss it somewhere
The first batches are coming out probably today! I just checked in the fin aid team about 30 minutes ago. They are doing some final checks before letters start to go out and are updating a page on Accepted Central that provides "how to read" details and next steps. Keep an eye on your CWRU email as that is where the fin aid update will be sent.

The first batches are coming out probably today! I just checked in the fin aid team about 30 minutes ago. They are doing some final checks before letters start to go out and are updating a page on Accepted Central that provides "how to read" details and next steps. Keep an eye on your CWRU email as that is where the fin aid update will be sent.
Oo that’s exciting! I wish you all abundant zeroes (several each, not one zero for each of you 😅)

Awesome, thanks for the update! I was complete about a month ago so fingers crossed I am in the first batch. :)

If we submitted it last week, will we get notified this week? Or is it first come first serve?

Trailing zeroes, that is :p
No i prefer leading zeros.

because i'm a leader. right, Case Western? right? you'll withdraw my rejection and accept me if I take 0 fin aid right ? im a leader btw

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Guys my MSAR expired last week. Can someone share that one stat on there that describes how many people were waitlisted last year and how many come off the waitlist? Not down to pay 40 bucks again for that one thing

Guys my MSAR expired last week. Can someone share that one stat on there that describes how many people were waitlisted last year and how many come off the waitlist? Not down to pay 40 bucks again for that one thing

Waitlist Information​

Typical number of waitlist positions per cycle:

Variable from year to year for each of our MD programs. Each MD program welcomes pertinent updates or letters of interest/intent from waitlisted applicants if they are truly interested in attending.

Number of acceptance offers granted to applicants on the waitlist:

Not Provided

Waitlist procedures and information:

Interviewed applicants will be notified if they are accepted, waitlisted, or rejected shortly after their interview. Waitlisted applicants will be provided with additional updates and instructions.

Last edited:
Hello hello just dropping in to say I don’t know if theres is a cap, but $40k is not it unless my financial aid package is wrong so I wouldn’t worry about it too much!!

Financial aid award went to my spam folder in my CWRU email account just fyi for those looking for their award letter

Let me check in my spam folder... just in case their acceptance went in there.

• Haha
Im sure I could look this up in Accepted Central but does anyone remember if our scholarships will renew all four years?

Hello hello just dropping in to say I don’t know if theres is a cap, but $40k is not it unless my financial aid package is wrong so I wouldn’t worry about it too much!!
+1, I can corroborate this for those who have financial need! Incredibly surprised by how generous the CWRU scholarship is. I had originally thought that CWRU would be out of the question due to finances, but they've become my most affordable option!