2021-2022 Boston University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know if I can use AP calculus credit to fulfill the math requirement? I know on their website they prefer 1 full year of math but I haven't taken any math courses beyond 1 statistics class... wondering if I can double dip physics since it included math haha

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know if I can use AP calculus credit to fulfill the math requirement? I know on their website they prefer 1 full year of math but I haven't taken any math courses beyond 1 statistics class... wondering if I can double dip physics since it included math haha
Yes use AP calc, don't use physics. I don't think any schools care much for anything beyond statistics and calculus

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes use AP calc, don't use physics. I don't think any schools care much for anything beyond statistics and calculus
This is from their website: We generally prefer that applicants take these courses at a 4-year undergraduate institution rather than utilize advanced placement credits. Unless you have absolutely no way of fulfilling this requirement otherwise, I recommend reading "prefer" as "do not use AP."

Reactions: 1 user
This is from their website: We generally prefer that applicants take these courses at a 4-year undergraduate institution rather than utilize advanced placement credits. Unless you have absolutely no way of fulfilling this requirement otherwise, I recommend reading "prefer" as "do not use AP."
Yes but for math it's not as important. They list in their website their main core competencies. Then, they say "In addition, course work in Mathematics (particularly statistics)." I think they really just want you to take statistics, and if he took AP Calc he can add that too because it doesn't seem like an official prerequisite just an add on. If it was like using AP physics and not taking any other physics courses, that's a different story.

So I filled out the pre-registration form, it said it was completed and the button was grayed out, but I did not receive any of the follow-up emails. I emailed the help email, but it looks like I'll get a response after the 24-hour window; any advice? Or if anyone had similar issues, when should I expect a reply from the [email protected] address?

Yes but for math it's not as important. They list in their website their main core competencies. Then, they say "In addition, course work in Mathematics (particularly statistics)." I think they really just want you to take statistics, and if he took AP Calc he can add that too because it doesn't seem like an official prerequisite just an add on. If it was like using AP physics and not taking any other physics courses, that's a different story.
Yes I'll probably just put down AP calc hope for the best. Thank you!

Does anyone know how BU looks at CASPER scores?

I got a secondary 2 weeks ago, but I still havent completed it bc ya know life. yesterday they sent me an email notifying me I havent completed it yet... should I be worried? Do I really need to rush this secondary?

I got a secondary 2 weeks ago, but I still havent completed it bc ya know life. yesterday they sent me an email notifying me I havent completed it yet... should I be worried? Do I really need to rush this secondary?
Worried? About what? They want their money.

If they really cared about how fast you turn it around, they could do what UCLA does and close your window to submit after a certain number of days. OTOH, if you really cared about what they thought, you'd have gotten it in already.

No, you don't need to rush. Take your time. I really don't think schools place weight on so-called levels of enthusiasm as demonstrated by submission speed. They want them in to manage workflow, but most schools not only understand about life, they also understand that only around 70% of secondaries are returned.

• Dislike
Reactions: 4 users
Does anyone's portal show that their CASPER has been received?

Members don't see this ad :)
I received this secondary before my AMCAS was verified, but my primary has been verified for 4 days now and the BU portal still won't let me submit the secondary. It says wait 24-48 hours for the AMCAS verification to process but it's been longer than that now- anybody else have this problem?

So sorry to hear this, I'm sending positive energy for your other schools!! Would you mind sharing if you got the news via email or portal?
I got an email saying “information was added to your portal” and then followed that with the info that was added: basically a very very nice rejection email.

so I guess the answer is both?

Trying not to be neurotic but do you all remember how long it took for your CASPER status to be updated in the portal? I sent my results to BU on 7/22 (after it was scored)

Also just got my first R :( That hurted…

• Care
I got an email saying “information was added to your portal” and then followed that with the info that was added: basically a very very nice rejection email.

so I guess the answer is both?
Thanks for sharing- good luck to you! 🥰

y'all are making me nervous, what do you think were weak points in your app that led to an R?

y'all are making me nervous, what do you think were weak points in your app that led to an R?
No research but my app is fairly strong in other areas (516/3.9X and interesting ECs/story). I think part of it is just the vast amount of apps they receive…in the email they said they receive 100 apps per seat /:

• Wow
Reactions: 4 users
No research but my app is fairly strong in other areas (516/3.9X and interesting ECs/story). I think part of it is just the vast amount of apps they receive…in the email they said they receive 100 apps per seat /:
I have the same stats and extensive research so I agree, I think it has a lot to do with volume of apps (I hope)

Same story, maybe BU is t20-phobic?
You mean for undergrad? Not sure why that would be the case. I mean I just re-read my secondaries and I barely mentioned any specifics about why I would actually pick BU so I'm pretty sure that was what F'd me.

You mean for undergrad? Not sure why that would be the case. I mean I just re-read my secondaries and I barely mentioned any specifics about why I would actually pick BU so I'm pretty sure that was what F'd me.
Yea I've noticed that there are some schools that are like this for whatever reason. My undergrad has sent zero people in the past three years to Mayo Clinic, but thirty-one to Pritzker.

Yea I've noticed that there are some schools that are like this for whatever reason. My undergrad has sent zero people in the past three years to Mayo Clinic, but thirty-one to Pritzker.
I mean....is your school U of C? Becuase that would make sense :p

been under review for two weeks now. no word. not yet rejected??

I think we just have to be patient haha

Got an R today with a 522 MCAT, sad. Completed 7/5.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Wow
Reactions: 3 users
omg via email? im sorry dude :/
Yeah got an email that with the subject "Boston University School of Medicine; Application Review" then there was a rejection note in the body. The portal also says "Regretfully, we are unable to offer you an interview." BU was a reach for me but still stings

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
Yeah got an email that with the subject "Boston University School of Medicine; Application Review" then there was a rejection note in the body. The portal also says "Regretfully, we are unable to offer you an interview." BU was a reach for me but still stings
Same.

• Care
Got II's from many higher ranked schools than BU so not sure. Maybe my secondaries were too general.
Nope. It's easy for me to say, but don't feel bad. BU is notorious for being "low yield," and, if you are receiving multiple IIs this early in the cycle, the very likely reason for this early R is that you are being "resource protected" out by them, rather than there being any deficiency in your application. Congratulations??? :)

Reactions: 1 users
Joining the R gain, this one hurts. Have lived in Boston for 5 years now, 4.0/520+ , but that first quartile Casper thoooooooo

• Care
Reactions: 6 users
Joining the R gain, this one hurts. Have lived in Boston for 5 years now, 4.0/520+ , but that first quartile Casper thoooooooo
Damn...maybe they filtered using CASPER, since they are also super high volume. :( that sucks if true, sets a pretty **** precedent for the process

wtf interesting. 509/3.8 here, SES disadvantaged, FAP recipient. Big mission fit and have lived in Boston for 7 years. fourth quartile casper. not yet rejected????