2020-2021 Yale

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
II received on 9/23, officially sent secondary on 9/5.
Stats: OOS, 75 LM, 3.69 GPA, 521 MCAT, URM

Good luck to everyone on their II's so far

- As an edit so people get a sense of Yale's timeline, their interview availability was super limited by the time I got a chance to schedule. There were only days/slots in October left (around 8 maybe?). It seems like the latest dates in January and February were poached, as students believed that being interviewed closer to the deadline release would make them more memorable/fresh in the MD committee's mind?

Yale's not rolling, I presume?

Members don't see this ad.

II received on 9/23, officially sent secondary on 9/5.
Stats: OOS, 75 LM, 3.69 GPA, 521 MCAT, URM

Good luck to everyone on their II's so far

- As an edit so people get a sense of Yale's timeline, their interview availability was super limited by the time I got a chance to schedule. There were only days/slots in October left (around 8 maybe?). It seems like the latest dates in January and February were poached, as students believed that being interviewed closer to the deadline release would make them more memorable/fresh in the MD committee's mind?
Is it possible they just haven't opened dates beyond October yet?

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Is it possible they just haven't opened dates beyond October yet?

When I initially got to open it, there was a date or two free in November. I made my decision the next day, and when I checked then, there were no more November slots, only October.

II just now! Complete 9/14, LM 77, ORM. There were multiple dates for the second half of October.

Reactions: 10 users
Holy forking shirtballs. MSTP II! 3.99/526, OOS, complete 07/21

Reactions: 14 users
II 30 min ago! LM: ~74 ORM non-trad submitted secondary on 8/4, interviewing on 10/30

First II and I am so relieved

Reactions: 9 users
II 30 min ago! LM: ~74 ORM non-trad submitted secondary on 8/4, interviewing on 10/30

First II and I am so relieved
Congratulations, now knock 'em dead in your interview!

Reactions: 1 user
I finished my secondary 9/23 for MSTP and am super worried that it might be too late for II. Do people have a sense that interview slots are all taken up at this point?

Members don't see this ad :)
I finished my secondary 9/23 for MSTP and am super worried that it might be too late for II. Do people have a sense that interview slots are all taken up at this point?
I got an interview invite last week and there were spots in November and December. They're non-rolling so I wouldn't worry about it!

I agree with @kittensneezes. It seems like most of the T10's are much slower it sending out II's this year, and since @kittensneezes has confirmed that interview spot are available in Nov. and Dec., I would not worry too much just yet.

The conventional wisdom was that you'd want to have II's by Thanksgiving, and by the way it looks this year, seems that it's closer to Christmas/New Year's for this year than Thanksgiving.

I agree with @kittensneezes. It seems like most of the T10's are much slower it sending out II's this year, and since @kittensneezes has confirmed that interview spot are available in Nov. and Dec., I would not worry too much just yet.

The conventional wisdom was that you'd want to have II's by Thanksgiving, and by the way it looks this year, seems that it's closer to Christmas/New Year's for this year than Thanksgiving.
Yale isn't T10, it's #15 on USNews, but I think your point still holds true in T20

Thank you! I'm honestly freaking out because I'm still submitting secondaries and probably won't get them all in until end of October loll *cry but we'll see how it goes!

Yale isn't T10, it's #15 on USNews, but I think your point still holds true in T20
well, people always joke that there are 20 schools in the T10, 30 in the T20, with many schools that could trade places between T10 and T20 depending on one's opinion.

Thank you! I'm honestly freaking out because I'm still submitting secondaries and probably won't get them all in until end of October loll *cry but we'll see how it goes!
Submitting late may hurt your chances, but won't be a deal-breaker if you are a competitive applicant (depending on how competitive). Best of luck to you!

Reactions: 1 users
well, people always joke that there are 20 schools in the T10, 30 in the T20, with many schools that could trade places between T10 and T20 depending on one's opinion.
And they're totally right, bc the USNWR is full of crazy with pointless metrics. Within the top 20 schools, the best schools entirely depends on what the applicant wants/needs imo

Does anyone know/have a guess at the acceptance rate for the MSTP program after the II? Got an II a couple weeks ago but I have very weak stats for this program. Not sure how to feel at this stage! LM ~69 but URM strong app aside from relatively low MCAT

Does anyone know/have a guess at the acceptance rate for the MSTP program after the II? Got an II a couple weeks ago but I have very weak stats for this program. Not sure how to feel at this stage! LM ~69 but URM strong app aside from relatively low MCAT

I'm not sure how low your MCAT is, but given the URM status, if you are above their 10th percentile, you should be competitive. Plus, you've already received an II which likely means that they think your stats are good enough to accept you. I would just focus on your interview if you haven't done it yet. Knock 'em dead!

complete 8/31 for MSTP and still waiting. Radio silence

Those who have interviewed already, what was it like?

Three one-on-one interviews — two longish ones with faculty or student, and one shorter one with director of admissions. There are info sessions in between.

Interviews are pretty structured, but interviewers were all very warm and encouraging. Admissions staff were super nice and flexible to any tech difficulties. Just practice as you will for any other school interview, and you will be fine!

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
I'm not sure how low your MCAT is, but given the URM status, if you are above their 10th percentile, you should be competitive. Plus, you've already received an II which likely means that they think your stats are good enough to accept you. I would just focus on your interview if you haven't done it yet. Knock 'em dead!

Thank you!!! I really appreciate you saying that. We'll see how it goes!

First interview!
Completed secondary 10/20/20, interview invite today 10/22/20. super fast turnaround!

Stats: OOS, 3.55 GPA, 522 MCAT, black URM

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 22 users
Does anyone know the timeline for MD/PhD interview invites? I'm OOS 3.75GPA, 516 MCAT, Asian ORM and submitted 8/8/20
Just want to see how hopeful I should be or not esp with my mediocre stats

Last edited:
Does anyone know the timeline for MD/PhD interview invites? I'm OSS 3.75GPA, 516 MCAT, Asian ORM and submitted 8/8/20
Just want to see how hopeful I should be or not esp with my mediocre stats
Hey! In case you hadn't already found it, many MD/PhD programs use this Google calendar to list when their interviews will be held. Looks like Yale's season is a bit later than most, with interviews from Nov-Feb, so I would expect them to also have a later timeline than other programs for giving out IIs! Hope that helps!

Historically the Yale thread is usually very quiet, since we have non-rolling admissions most interviews are sent out by the end of November and everyone hears back in March. That's when the thread is most active.
So the last II will be sent by the end of November?

The website's timeline says applicants will be invited to interview through mid-February. Should we trust this?
I would trust the website! I was just speculating but that seems more legit. Thanks for that info!

Just when I had given up all hope here, got a II! Complete 7/28

• Love
Reactions: 10 users
Congrats!!

I was completed in mid august, looks like I got passed over :( ....
They will want to go through the entire applicant pool, and likely are handing out II's to the most qualified applicants first until the submissions end. Once they stop accepting more apps, I am sure they will go back and review everyone else again to fill the rest of the II spots. Plus, it's still early in regards to the Thanksgiving rule, or the Christmas rule of this year (depending on the school)!

Reactions: 2 users
The website's timeline says applicants will be invited to interview through mid-February. Should we trust this?
I don't know the answer to the original question, but just chiming in to note that when they say "applicants will be invited to interview through mid-February," it's not clear necessarily if that means they'll be sending IIs through February, or conducting interviews through February. My hunch is that it means they'll conduct interviews through Feb, meaning they'd stop sending IIs some time before that. But again, I have no idea.

In peoples opinions is it too late to apply here? Had some circumstances surrounding COVID stuff that prevented me from this but have everything done right now!

Shoot your shot
There is an "Additional Information" section of the Secondary for you to explain your situation. Yale's deadline has not yet passed, so apply if you want to go there. This cycle is like no other, so I would apply if I were in your shoes even though it's later if you have everything ready to go.

Until what dates have interview dates been filled up?