2020-2021 Yale

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What did you end up doing for this?

I ended up making a list of all my Spring courses with the name as it appears on my transcript and designating that this was online for Spring 2020 due to COVID-19, didn't include the course number because I figured this could be cross-checked with my transcript. I didn't have any other online courses besides last semester, but I included both science and non-science courses.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Secondary Prompts 2020-2021:

Yale School of Medicine values diversity in all its forms. How will your background and experiences contribute to this important focus of our institution and inform your future role as a physician?

MD applicants: Please answer either one of the following questions
MD/PhD applicants: Please answer question 2 as it pertains to your proposed PhD research.

While there is great emphasis on the physician-patient relationship, Yale School of Medicine also emphasizes the importance of training future physicians to care for communities and populations. Describe how your experiences would contribute to this aspect of the mission of the Yale School of Medicine.

Research is essential to patient care, and all students at Yale School of Medicine complete a research thesis. Tell us how your research interests, skills and experiences would contribute to scholarship at Yale School of Medicine

Hi, folks. There's chatter in this thread about there being an optional prompt, but it's not listed above. For those who've received the secondary from Yale, can you please confirm whether or not there's an optional question in addition to the ones above, and if so, what it is and what the word/character limit is?

Hi, folks. There's chatter in this thread about there being an optional prompt, but it's not listed above. For those who've received the secondary from Yale, can you please confirm whether or not there's an optional question in addition to the ones above, and if so, what it is and what the word/character limit is?
This section is optional. It should be used to bring to the attention of the Admissions Committee any important information (personal, academic, or professional) not discussed in other sections of your Yale Secondary Application. (500 words)

Reactions: 1 users
This is the first school I'm submitting my secondary to, so I haven't really thought about what to put for the "Anything Else?" section.

Would it be appropriate to put in my adversity essay? It was about a significant hardship that happened during the end of high school. It didn't really affect how I did in college though (i.e. there are no huge discrepancies in GPA/MCAT or anything else that I need to explain).

On the other hand, I don't want them to think I just copy-pasted. Currently debating on putting a "Why this school?" essay in there instead.

Wanted to know what my fellow applicants or admitted/current students think about this :)

This is the first school I'm submitting my secondary to, so I haven't really thought about what to put for the "Anything Else?" section.

Would it be appropriate to put in my adversity essay? It was about a significant hardship that happened during the end of high school. It didn't really affect how I did in college though (i.e. there are no huge discrepancies in GPA/MCAT or anything else that I need to explain).

On the other hand, I don't want them to think I just copy-pasted. Currently debating on putting a "Why this school?" essay in there instead.

Wanted to know what my fellow applicants or admitted/current students think about this :)
If you think the adversity essay puts your application into context better, I think an adversity essay would be great here, since they ask for important personal/academic/professional information. You could also talk about your gap year (if you're doing one), or do a Why Yale essay. All depends on what you think would be most important to your unique application!

What do you guys think about adding gap year essay in the optional essay section? I'm going into my 2nd gap year (first time applying here tho) and will be starting a new clinical job thats not on amcas. I'm thinking of maybe even tying into why Yale somehow if i can too

What do you guys think about adding gap year essay in the optional essay section? I'm going into my 2nd gap year (first time applying here tho) and will be starting a new clinical job thats not on amcas. I'm thinking of maybe even tying into why Yale somehow if i can too
sounds like a good idea to me!

Does anyone know why they're asking for a snapshot of activities? Will they not be reading the AAMC activities description?

Members don't see this ad :)
This will be my first secondary, so forgive anything obvious in questions to follow, as I'll know going forward.

- diversity: being that I am white, I want to clarify a few things.
• background: is this often taken to refer to things other than race? For example, religious or cultures particular to US regions? If these are not particularly rare, is it a bad look to elaborate upon them?
• experiences: I don't know that I understand the sense that experience is being related to diversity. Does this refer to interaction with people of many backgrounds, or very specific things that affected your development and could potentially allow for your better relating to patients (ex. trauma, family member with disability)?

- physician-patient relationship: is this essentially just asking if I have clinical experience among diverse populations, or is there something mission-specific I should understand? I sense subtext - this phrasing is a bit confusing. Insight welcomed.

- Yale mission: I have attempted to find a short summation of what this is without success. I see reference to individuality, self-directed learning, and contribution to future development within the field. Could someone please briefly summarize the mission statement and perhaps how it relates to the chosen questions.

Thanks for any input

Do we have to indicate which prompt we are answering for the second required essay question? Or do you think they can tell what its gonna be about. Mine is pretty clearly about the communities and populations one, but idk if i should still indicate this at the start? Like:

I am answering question 1:
Bla bla bla

Or even just
1: bla bla bla

Would I be able to add an additional LOR even if my secondary is complete?

Is anyone else getting an error page when trying to login for the secondary saying "Server Error in '/' Application."?

• Hmm
  • Inappropriate
Reactions: 2 users
Is anyone else getting an error page when trying to login for the secondary saying "Server Error in '/' Application."?

Yes! Mine says "string error." and I tried logging in from multiple computers and browsers

Yes! Mine says "string error." and I tried logging in from multiple computers and browsers

Same; I emailed the Zap technical support to see what's up. I'm not sure if the Admissions Office should be contacted re:this as well.

Did anyone else not get the secondary yet? I was verified before 7/10 and still haven't gotten it D:

Hey guys, apologize if it has been answered but what is the character/word limit for the secondary essays? Thanks!

Anyone else not being able to log-in to the Secondary Application for some reason?

Guessing it's down for maintenance or something. Guess I'll submit my app tomorrow

Does anyone else have a broken link for the YSM secondary? I am having trouble logging into mine but not sure if it's just me

Guessing it's down for maintenance or something. Guess I'll submit my app tomorrow
Checking in from tomorrow. It's still down. Do you think they'll have it up by Monday? I'd hate if my submission was unnecessarily delayed due to this technical difficulty

Checking in from tomorrow. It's still down. Do you think they'll have it up by Monday? I'd hate if my submission was unnecessarily delayed due to this technical difficulty

Should be up by Monday evening; combination of IT being out for the weekend and them probably being shortstaffed by corona.

Silly question but I'm wondering what people consider Achievements & Distinctions? Are people listing only awards in this space, or other accomplishments (research pubs) as well?

Silly question but I'm wondering what people consider Achievements & Distinctions? Are people listing only awards in this space, or other accomplishments (research pubs) as well?
I put pubs in the activities since they did in the example given

I'm a little confused about the "Academic and Research Positions" section. Are we supposed to just relist our research again? If I did research full-time over the summer and part-time during the school year, how would the #hours/week be calculated? What counts as an academic position?

Last edited:
I'm a little confused about the "Academic and Research Positions" section. Are we supposed to just relist our research again? If I did research full-time over the summer and part-time during the school year, how would the #hours/week be calculated? What counts as an academic position?
Is this for MSTP? I don't recall seeing that specifically for MD.

Hiya fellow MSTP applicant! I split up my positions to make it really clear how the hours/week are different. So mine looked kind of like:

Research in Y lab - 40 hr/week
Research in X lab (school year) - 10 hr/week
Research in X lab (summer) - 40 hr/week

Note sure if that's exactly what they were going for but it got the point across for me!

Any EDP (or regular) applicants here with an II?

Also, probably a stupid question but when people say their “complete“ date does that include all references being submitted or just full primary/secondary/MCAT?

Last edited:
Any EDP (or regular) applicants here with an II?

Also, probably a stupid question but when people say their “complete“ date does that includes all references being submitted or just full primary/secondary/MCAT?
IS, complete 7/13, no II - I think complete includes LORs

Hiya fellow MSTP applicant! I split up my positions to make it really clear how the hours/week are different. So mine looked kind of like:

Research in Y lab - 40 hr/week
Research in X lab (school year) - 10 hr/week
Research in X lab (summer) - 40 hr/week

Note sure if that's exactly what they were going for but it got the point across for me!

Ahhhh thanks, that makes so much sense.. I ended up submitting and just putting it as one position and just averaging the whole thing lol (I said part time/full time in description though). Oh well, it is what it is haha

Did anyone else not get the secondary yet? I was verified before 7/10 and still haven't gotten it D:
I received it an hour after I submitted the primary which is still not verified, so I feel like you definitely should have it. I'm sure you have already, but maybe just double-check your spam folder?

I received it an hour after I submitted the primary which is still not verified, so I feel like you definitely should have it. I'm sure you have already, but maybe just double-check your spam folder?
Thanks! Yeah, I ended up emailing adcom and they sent it to me again. Was weird, they said they sent it like 2 weeks before but I couldn't find it anywhere

Are you guys including awards earned in high school (state level stuff)? Under "Achievements and Distinctions"

Are you guys including awards earned in high school (state level stuff)? Under "Achievements and Distinctions"

No, only stuff after high school graduation and onward. I included activity during summer after high school though.

Reactions: 1 users