2020-2021 Yale

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Are you guys including awards earned in high school (state level stuff)? Under "Achievements and Distinctions"

I included a state and national level four year scholarship. Don’t know how they will view it though.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Someone apparently got an II on 8/13 according to the II tracker
Don't buy that for 2 reasons: 1) the person in the tracker said they were complete on 7/12 but the Yale secondary wasn't sent out until 7/13, and, 2) n=2 but someone also got a Harvard II according to the tracker but Harvard has clearly stated they won't send any out til September, so clearly there are mistakes in the tracker

Reactions: 8 users
Don't buy that for 2 reasons: 1) the person in the tracker said they were complete on 7/12 but the Yale secondary wasn't sent out until 7/13, and, 2) n=2 but someone also got a Harvard II according to the tracker but Harvard has clearly stated they won't send any out til September, so clearly there are mistakes in the tracker
Oo good catch

The interview tracker is often full of trolls :/

Reactions: 10 users
Members don't see this ad :)
LM 83 OOS
This is my only interview so far though lol, are other people getting multiple interviews already or is it still pretty early in the cycle?
Extremely early. A small minority of schools have been sending out IIs and very few of them at that.

Reactions: 5 users
I'm a little confused on the "communities and populations" aspect of the second prompt, if anyone's able to give input. How does somebody take care of a community, exactly, apart from taking care of individuals within that community? All my volunteering dealt with helping individuals. They often shared common characteristics, like age (ex after-school program), or residence, but I feel like that's not sufficient.

How specific did people get with the dates in the snapshot?

How specific did people get with the dates in the snapshot?

n=1 but mine were fairly nonspecific - I basically just did what they showed in the example; ie mostly years (2017-2020), or specifying the semester/season if it was a less than a year-long activity (ie summer 2019)

Reactions: 1 users
n=1 but mine were fairly nonspecific - I basically just did what they showed in the example; ie mostly years (2017-2020), or specifying the semester/season if it was a less than a year-long activity (ie summer 2019)
okay that's how I wrote it out, so I'll keep it that way ty! I just have a clinical experience that started after I submitted my primary, so I wasn't sure if I should be specific on the month in case they wondered why it wasn't on my application, but I might as well keep everything uniform

I received complete email just now even though I submitted 7/13? I received a completed email then so I’m a little confused lol
EDIT: Nvm it was because I submitted an update

I received complete email just now even though I submitted 7/13? I received a completed email then so I’m a little confused lol
EDIT: Nvm it was because I submitted an update
Just out of curiosity, what are you sending an update of this early in the cycle?

Reactions: 2 users
Just out of curiosity, what are you sending an update of this early in the cycle?

I was some missing personal info that I didn’t put on the portal because I missed the drop down menu :( They went back to manually input that info in, and my guess is the automated system detected the change and sent me the “complete” email

Is anyone "under review"? I feel like I've had my complete status for a while now

Is anyone "under review"? I feel like I've had my complete status for a while now
I just took a look at my complete email and it says my application is complete and in review. Check yours, it probably says the same thing.

interview invite just now!!!! complete 7/14 OOS

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Anyone else waiting for their schedule to be sent for tomorrow's interview?

@Lawlify Man from what I can tell you are having an absolutely absurd cycle thus far. Can't complain myself but just congratulations and good to hear you're killing it!

• Love
@Lawlify Man from what I can tell you are having an absolutely absurd cycle thus far. Can't complain myself but just congratulations and good to hear you're killing it!

thank you so so much!!! Best of luck to you and everyone else reading this :):)may all your dreams come true!

has anyone gone to the pre-interview dinner/discussion? i would love to go but it conflicts with my work hours (PST) :( but I would love to know what it was like/what was talked about!

has anyone gone to the pre-interview dinner/discussion? i would love to go but it conflicts with my work hours (PST) :( but I would love to know what it was like/what was talked about!
There was a short presentation on diversity/inclusion initiatives at YSM and then some time to ask questions. Most of it was geared towards diversity and community engagement but you could ask whatever you want. It was obviously nice to chat with current students and see the other applicants interviewing with you, but definitely not necessary if you have a conflict! A lot of it kind of confirmed the culture of Yale that I already had in mind. Just make sure to ask your questions during the student panel on your interview day - everyone was amazing and gave out contact info so it's definitely not hard to find students to talk to

• Care
There was a short presentation on diversity/inclusion initiatives at YSM and then some time to ask questions. Most of it was geared towards diversity and community engagement but you could ask whatever you want. It was obviously nice to chat with current students and see the other applicants interviewing with you, but definitely not necessary if you have a conflict! A lot of it kind of confirmed the culture of Yale that I already had in mind. Just make sure to ask your questions during the student panel on your interview day - everyone was amazing and gave out contact info so it's definitely not hard to find students to talk to

This was super helpful, thank you so much!

Why is Yale lower ranked than some of the similar Ivy league medical schools? What differentiates it from the Harvard, NYU, Columbia group of schools at the top?

Why is Yale lower ranked than some of the similar Ivy league medical schools? What differentiates it from the Harvard, NYU, Columbia group of schools at the top?

Yale is fantastic by any measure. However, I do feel that the Yale-New Haven hospital system is quite small & patient population is small because it is situated in New Haven. This affects ranking, bc I believe ranking largely considers how much funding affiliated hospitals get — HMS consistently ranks first because the Partners health system is massive.

But this doesn’t take into account how good the school actually is in terms of teaching & culture. Also I would say research at Yale is comparable to every other top place.

Reactions: 5 users
Dude the rankings are literal trash. Nothing valid differentiates them from other similar schools...and NYU is tremendously overrated in my opinion. A 10ish position jump within 1 year simply due to tuition becoming free should tell you how useless these rankings are. Divest from them, I beg lol

@almostinder That’s completely the vibe I got from the rankings, but just wondering what I should use to determine differences in resources available/prestige of the school. Not that it’s a determining factor but it’s nice to have that factor when weighing schools against each other. Are the residency director rankings more useful?

@almostinder That’s completely the vibe I got from the rankings, but just wondering what I should use to determine differences in resources available/prestige of the school. Not that it’s a determining factor but it’s nice to have that factor when weighing schools against each other. Are the residency director rankings more useful?

I think director rankings are marginally better, but functionally not much different than USNWR, tbh. Unfortunately, you have to do a lot of extra work to see if a school has what you're looking for. If you're huge on research, look at funding and publications (US Global rankings is actually pretty decent at this bc it is quantitative and takes into account funding, publications, citations, and collaboration).

If you're only interested in prestige, USNWR is not too bad bc a huge portion of their calculation is opinion-based.

But for actual clinical opportunities, you have to talk to folks at the schools. In my opinion, UCSF is probably the best, most well-rounded school out there. Excellent research, specialty exposure, primary care (this is big because a lot of "top" schools are mediocre here), etc. Some of the best schools are a bit underrated imo because the rankings favor private schools.

Also the corresponding hospital is a big factor in my opinion. Perfect example is NYC and Chicago are huge cities with lots of diverse patient populations and interesting cases, but there are also MANY medical schools in those cities. In contrast, Atlanta is not quite as large as NYC and Chicago, but Emory only has competition with one other med school and it wasn't established until like 1975.

I am a firm believer that you just gotta try schools out and see how you personally like them and how they fit you..and I don't think you can go wrong that way.

Are all 3 of the interviewers faculty members or is there a student interview?

II last week! Complete 9/9

LM 70, URM

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
anyone else unable to see interview questions ppl were asked on the SDN interview feedback page for yale? i can see it for other schools but not yale

Having the same issue. If you browse by individual responses, the questions show up

II received on 9/23, officially sent secondary on 9/5.
Stats: OOS, 75 LM, 3.69 GPA, 521 MCAT, URM

Good luck to everyone on their II's so far

- As an edit so people get a sense of Yale's timeline, their interview availability was super limited by the time I got a chance to schedule. There were only days/slots in October left (around 8 maybe?). It seems like the latest dates in January and February were poached, as students believed that being interviewed closer to the deadline release would make them more memorable/fresh in the MD committee's mind?

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users