2020-2021 University of the Incarnate Word School of Osteopathic Medicine (UIWSOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thank you so much!!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
For anyone who's interviewed. Would you mind if I PM you for questions about the interview day?

Reactions: 1 user
Did anyone else here interview on Friday 8/21? I interviewed that day and I’m really excited about hearing back from UIWSOM!

Did anyone else here interview on Friday 8/21? I interviewed that day and I’m really excited about hearing back from UIWSOM!

I have mine this Friday! Can you share anything about what the experience was like?

I have mine this Friday! Can you share anything about what the experience was like?
Yes, of course! Overall, I had a really positive experience with UIWSOM. It was my first time ever doing a MMI so I was a bit anxious at first, which is pretty normal . However, all of the interviewers and staff were very welcoming and friendly. This def allowed me to be more relaxed and comfortable. I was expecting the process to be a bit more stressful, but it wasn’t at all. I really enjoyed answering the questions and going from station to station! It also goes by so fast that it’s over before you know it lol. Besides that, I also really enjoyed seeing so much diversity in the applicant pool!

Anyways I wish you the best of luck with your interview!

Reactions: 4 users
Yes, of course! Overall, I had a really positive experience with UIWSOM. It was my first time ever doing a MMI so I was a bit anxious at first, which is pretty normal . However, all of the interviewers and staff were very welcoming and friendly. This def allowed me to be more relaxed and comfortable. I was expecting the process to be a bit more stressful, but it wasn’t at all. I really enjoyed answering the questions and going from station to station! It also goes by so fast that it’s over before you know it lol. Besides that, I also really enjoyed seeing so much diversity in the applicant pool!

Thank you so much, that’s great to hear! Hope you get good news from them soon!

I interviewed 8/21. I enjoyed the experience as well, the staff, student ambassadors, and other interviewers were kind and welcoming. I felt the questions and stations were clear and fair. This has definitely become my #1 choice if accepted.

Reactions: 2 users
I interviewed 8/21. I enjoyed the experience as well, the staff, student ambassadors, and other interviewers were kind and welcoming. I felt the questions and stations were clear and fair. This has definitely become my #1 choice if accepted.
Gonna mirror this response as well. I was very impressed by the whole experience and I walked out feeling good! It was actually kinda fun and the station interviewers were all very nice and easy to talk to.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also interviewed 8/21! Everyone was super kind and welcoming! They are truly very passionate about their mission which I think was awesome! I had never done an MMI before but I actually enjoyed it cause like if I felt one question I didn’t answer super amazing the next question would be like a do-over since each station is a different person!

Also interviewed 8/21! Everyone was super kind and welcoming! They are truly very passionate about their mission which I think was awesome! I had never done an MMI before but I actually enjoyed it cause like if I felt one question I didn’t answer super amazing the next question would be like a do-over since each station is a different person!
Hello! How was the MMI "virtual?" I have been researching the school and watching the tours and it looks like an awesome school. I'm nervous about the virtual process, as I feel like I am a good "in-person" interviewer. Do you have any tips for the virtual process? Thanks in advance. So excited to interview here.

How long is each interview station? I know there are 9, but didn't see how long each one was.

Hello! How was the MMI "virtual?" I have been researching the school and watching the tours and it looks like an awesome school. I'm nervous about the virtual process, as I feel like I am a good "in-person" interviewer. Do you have any tips for the virtual process? Thanks in advance. So excited to interview here.

it was definitely different they do like zoom breakout rooms For the MMIs. But honestly the actual interview part didn’t feel all that much different from in person ones. (I had a couple interviews last year) but I just treated it like a normal interview and it helped me calm down! I get really stressed by technology but it’s good to remember that it’s a big transition for them too not just us. And look at the camera when your talking! :)

Reactions: 1 users
it was definitely different they do like zoom breakout rooms For the MMIs. But honestly the actual interview part didn’t feel all that much different from in person ones. (I had a couple interviews last year) but I just treated it like a normal interview and it helped me calm down! I get really stressed by technology but it’s good to remember that it’s a big transition for them too not just us. And look at the camera when your talking! :)
Thank you!! I have been preparing by just reading and practicing the sample MMI questions on various websites like BeMo, would you say this is an OK way to prepare?

Thank you!! I have been preparing by just reading and practicing the sample MMI questions on various websites like BeMo, would you say this is an OK way to prepare?

honestly that’s what I did! Lolol n i finally had an appointment with a career counselor from my university today and I answered practice questions with them (I still have a few interviews left) n she said I did great so I guess the BeMo helped:laugh:

But hey i won’t know for sure until a few weeks if it works and UIW gives me an acceptance! If you have a university with a career center I definitely recommend a mock zoom interview just to be more comfortable! :)

Was there a traditional interview station where they ask usual questions like Why DO? Why UIWSOM? etc.?

Reactions: 2 users
Dude they just sent me a recruitment/information session link...it's like, hey you know what's a good recruitment event? An INTERVIEW lol. Why do schools do that? Is it some sort of test to see if you attend? I already attended their last one!

Was there a traditional interview station where they ask usual questions like Why DO? Why UIWSOM? etc.?

I haven’t had my interview yet, but on the SDN page for UIWSOM, someone mentioned they also asked traditional interview questions during the MMI.

Question:
In the portal Status tab/Communication Status sidebar, all of my LORs are received but with red circles with an exclamation point. in the Status sidebar, I have green checks for each Application Category, but the LOR has a blank Notes field, while the others either have "Complete", "Submitted", or "Paid". Is this normal for a completed app?

Where do you guys think UIWSOM ranks in terms of best osteopathic schools, and what is your thinking on the matter? Thank you anyone for your input, it is valued.

Question:
In the portal Status tab/Communication Status sidebar, all of my LORs are received but with red circles with an exclamation point. in the Status sidebar, I have green checks for each Application Category, but the LOR has a blank Notes field, while the others either have "Complete", "Submitted", or "Paid". Is this normal for a completed app?

This happened to me. I emailed them and they were quick to respond and corrected the status in my portal

Where do you guys think UIWSOM ranks in terms of best osteopathic schools, and what is your thinking on the matter? Thank you anyone for your input, it is valued.

We can only be subjective at the moment. They have a unique curriculum for one, everyone I have spoken to raves about the positive environment. I have also seen the majority of the students appear to be really happy. To me, these are a telltale sign of an excellent school and quality program. We do not have COMLEX stats or match percentages because of their first-class graduating next year. Personally, this is enough for me, it may not be for you. You will have to be the judge of what school is the "best" for your medical education and will set you up to be successful in the future.

We can only be subjective at the moment. They have a unique curriculum for one, everyone I have spoken to raves about the positive environment. I have also seen the majority of the students appear to be really happy. To me, these are a telltale sign of an excellent school and quality program. We do not have COMLEX stats or match percentages because of their first-class graduating next year. Personally, this is enough for me, it may not be for you. You will have to be the judge of what school is the "best" for your medical education and will set you up to be successful in the future.
How is the curriculum unique? Thanks.

Thank you for your input!

I have not had an MMI either. So how it works? They let you go one station to another station in Zoom (I think it is kind of difficult in zoom), and also how they give you a picture and you have to tell your partner how to draw it in zoom without speak it out. Finally you have chance to chat with students before your interview or after your interview?

negative but I’ve got a good guess.
Did they formally reject you through email? Or did you contact them to find out? I’m a pretty low stat applicant and haven’t heard back after the primary. Wondering if it’s a silent R

I have not had an MMI either. So how it works? They let you go one station to another station in Zoom (I think it is kind of difficult in zoom), and also how they give you a picture and you have to tell your partner how to draw it in zoom without speak it out. Finally you have chance to chat with students before your interview or after your interview?
They use breakout sessions in zoom. It's really smooth. They have a student you can chat with while you're in the small group breakout room, and a student Q&A session at the beginning of the week. You can ask questions during the info sessions w/ administration on Monday as well.

so the MMIs is the situational/ethics questions, correct? Not just MMI structure with a closed/open file conversation?

so the MMIs is the situational/ethics questions, correct? Not just MMI structure with a closed/open file conversation?

It is a closed file MMI with situational and ethical questions. No acting stations. Most were very conversational and the prompts were easy to discuss. Anyone interviewing should anticipate a good experience here!

It is a closed file MMI with situational and ethical questions. No acting stations. Most were very conversational and the prompts were easy to discuss. Anyone interviewing should anticipate a good experience here!
Was there a station where you will give instructions to someone to draw picture?

How long does UIWSOM take to come out with decisions post interview?

8/31 interview date. Awesome staff and the president is totally WOKE :clap:. I appreciate UIWSOM's commitment to social justice and they made it clear that they were community service oriented (a very good thing). The MMI was totally smooth!

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
I recently got verified by AACOMAS today. Do you guys know how long it would take to recieve a secondary around this point in the app cycle?

What kind of societal questions were there?
I would like to remind all of you that applicants agree not to share the content of MMI style interviews. The whole point of them is your spontaneous reaction.
You may share information about how many minutes at each station and how many stations.
Thanks for helping keep an even playing field for everyone.

Reactions: 7 users
Took almost a month and finally received my secondary. Thought I was getting a pre-Secondary R. Weird that some people get it within a day. To anyone waiting, don’t give up hope!

Reactions: 3 users
Interviewed here last week, loved the school. Jw, is anyone sending post interview thank you emails? If so, who are you sending them too? I've heard mixed reviews on whether post interview thank you emails/letter are appropriate for MMI's