2020-2021 Tufts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I chose to leave it blank and I just submitted (RIP). I saw some people in last year's thread who left it blank and they got interview invites so yeah. I really dislike BS'ing "why this school" (I struggle to write them) so I chose to leave it blank.

Okay great. Am definitely considering leaving it blank

Members don't see this ad.

Okay great. Am definitely considering leaving it blank

In hindsight I could have potentially used my adversity essay here, but I already talked about the experience in my personal statement. I doubt it'll make or break my app so I'm going to forget about it.

Reactions: 1 user
In hindsight I could have potentially used my adversity essay here, but I already talked about the experience in my personal statement. I doubt it'll make or break my app so I'm going to forget about it.
Plus it might be hard to fit it in 1000 char. I wouldn't worry!

Members don't see this ad :)
Received a secondary today and I am OOS. I submitted to AMCAS on 7/12/20 and have not been verified yet. My committee letter and MCAT have been completed so maybe that's why I got a secondary? My last name starts with T.

For coursework, did you guys put future courses (like the English-intensive courses) or only courses you've completed?

In the Prerequisites section, they ask for "one semester" of a certain course, such as physics. Semester and quarter hours aren't equivalent but is one quarter of physics coursework the same as one semester? Thanks!

Received mine yesterday night. OOS. Name at pretty much the absolute end of the alphabet

In the Prerequisites section, they ask for "one semester" of a certain course, such as physics. Semester and quarter hours aren't equivalent but is one quarter of physics coursework the same as one semester? Thanks!

Not typically. Unless you go to a school like Dartmouth, which has its own weird system.

Hour conversions may be found on your transcript or by contacting your registrar.

Reactions: 1 users
Is anybody having issues uploading their picture? Mine just won't load, using Google Chrome as my browser

Hey guys, long time SDN lurker here but never posted before. I am working on my Tufts secondary right now and have a question for a current Tufts student (or anyone who knows really).

I have strong connections and family in Maine, and I think mentioning that in an essay may help my application. I realize there is a "Maine Track", but I am worried that doing the Maine Track would limit my opportunities to specialize in something other than primary care. I am not sure what I want to specialize in, but I don't want to limit my opportunities to be exposed to various specialties and options.

Does anyone know if doing the Maine Track will severely limit my exposure and opportunities to pursue certain specialties? Thank you so much!

Members don't see this ad :)
Secondary received late 7/17, complete email received 1min after submission.

For the "What courses have you taken that fulfill this prerequisite?" for each subject (let's say Biology), are you guys listing, for example, only a full year worth of biology courses, or ALL the biology courses you have taken in undergrad, including upper-year bio courses

For the "What courses have you taken that fulfill this prerequisite?" for each subject (let's say Biology), are you guys listing, for example, only a full year worth of biology courses, or ALL the biology courses you have taken in undergrad, including upper-year bio courses

Just the courses used to fulfill the prerequisites. Under competency, I imagine you can include other courses too, as well as research, if pertinent.

So my primary application has yet to be verified. I submitted it on June 23 due to paper transcripts taking forever. Should I wait to submit my secondary application until that is verified, or will that make any difference? I already have everything done for the secondary application, but I just wanted to see what y'all think.

So my primary application has yet to be verified. I submitted it on June 23 due to paper transcripts taking forever. Should I wait to submit my secondary application until that is verified, or will that make any difference? I already have everything done for the secondary application, but I just wanted to see what y'all think.

There’s no harm in submitting now if everything’s ready, but I don’t believe they’ll review your application til all material is in. So, if there’s a chance you would rethink a few of your answers, you might consider waiting.

Current students...

1. Can you expound a bit on the preclinical curriculum? What is the typical weekly schedule like? What is the division between PBL & lecture? How many mandatory sessions / hours are there per week?

2. Any thoughts on the facilities for the school (preclinical) or affiliated hospitals?

3. How is Boston? What are some misconceptions about it? What are some of the negative aspects about it? Is it possible to live outside the city in the suburbs?

4. What is research like there? More clinical or basic emphasized? Competitive?

I just listed coursework for all the sections except the lab section- I wrote about my research (and listed lab coursework)
So even though it says, "In the sections that follow, we list our prerequisites and ask you to indicate how you have met these prerequisites or their equivalent," you think just listing the courses and their names is sufficient?

I got injured in college and need to explain some of the resulting grades. I'm currently doing a post bac and will be sending new grade updates during the cycle (already got my grade in biochem back and it was an A woo!). But the question is for the extra space do I use this as room to explain some of this stuff or use it for why tufts?

I got injured in college and need to explain some of the resulting grades. I'm currently doing a post bac and will be sending new grade updates during the cycle (already got my grade in biochem back and it was an A woo!). But the question is for the extra space do I use this as room to explain some of this stuff or use it for why tufts?

I would just explain that stuff. It’s only 1000 characters, which isn’t really enough for a good why tufts, in my opinion

I would just explain that stuff. It’s only 1000 characters, which isn’t really enough for a good why tufts, in my opinion
omg I just have to say, your profile pic and username made me laugh lmfao

Would also love input. I was going to use it as a diversity but now can’t since I’m using it for the second question. It’s so short I feel like a why tufts would be so brief.
I answered it as a "why tufts" question, pretty short but still tried to answer it as best as I could

does anyone know when they start sending IIs based on last year?

For those who got secondaries, was your primary application verified?
I received a secondary before my AMCAS was verified and before I took the MCAT. According to the updates on AMCAS, my primary application is still “ready for review” (???) last name starts with O

Struggling to decide if I should respond yes or no to the "do you consider yourself someone who contributes to diversity" question.

As the wise Goro would say, introspection is a key trait for doctors.

• Okay...
There’s no harm in submitting now if everything’s ready, but I don’t believe they’ll review your application til all material is in. So, if there’s a chance you would rethink a few of your answers, you might consider waiting.

Hi all! Re-applicant here from last cycle but first time applying to Tufts. I added them to my primary on Sunday (Submitted Primary on July 1st with verification pending) and was about to begin working on their Secondary, however, the language of the email is throwing me off a bit.

"Please remember to submit your application once all your information is complete and finalized. Applications will not be considered complete and will not move into the review process until your Secondary application has been submitted, your AMCAS application has been "Verified", the minimum required letters of recommendation are received and a valid MCAT score is recorded by AMCAS. Also note that we are not able respond to requests to put applications on hold to wait for updated MCAT scores or additional letters so you should only submit your TUSM secondary application after all your preferred data is in AMCAS."

From my understanding, are they saying that they do NOT want me to submit my Secondary until my updated MCAT and LORs have been received by them? (currently scheduled for MCAT retake on August 14th and I have 3 LORs on my AMCAS but waiting on 6 more LORs)

OR

Are they just given me a heads up that even if I submit Secondary now, I will just be chilling in the cue until everything else is in?

The reason why I am asking about this discrepancy is because to my knowledge, you can technically submit the Secondary now but you wont be considered "complete" for consideration to interview until everything else is in *excluding LORs*. From my experience, some schools do not review your LORs until AFTER you interview because at that point your file is complete in its entirety...

If the above is true, then what is stopping us from submitting the Secondary now and waiting for everything else to make its way (new MCAT and LOR receipts) on its own later on as it auto-populates onto our AMCAS vs. sitting on submitting the Secondary for additional 4-5 more weeks and then suffer a post-marked date that is 4-5 weeks from the receive date?

I am not sure if this has always been the norm and I just never noticed, specific to Tufts, and/or if this is something new because of COVID-19?

Sorry if this Q is kind of Noob, I am just not trying to sit on the Secondary for 4-5 weeks and thus make it look like I am not interested in Tufts as it is now one of my top choices.

Thanks in advance y'all, I appreciate your time and feedback!

So all of my letters of recommendation are in, and my primary is verified, but it still says that they don't have my letters. Is anyone else having this problem?

Hi all! Re-applicant here from last cycle but first time applying to Tufts. I added them to my primary on Sunday (Submitted Primary on July 1st with verification pending) and was about to begin working on their Secondary, however, the language of the email is throwing me off a bit.

"Please remember to submit your application once all your information is complete and finalized. Applications will not be considered complete and will not move into the review process until your Secondary application has been submitted, your AMCAS application has been "Verified", the minimum required letters of recommendation are received and a valid MCAT score is recorded by AMCAS. Also note that we are not able respond to requests to put applications on hold to wait for updated MCAT scores or additional letters so you should only submit your TUSM secondary application after all your preferred data is in AMCAS."

From my understanding, are they saying that they do NOT want me to submit my Secondary until my updated MCAT and LORs have been received by them? (currently scheduled for MCAT retake on August 14th and I have 3 LORs on my AMCAS but waiting on 6 more LORs)

OR

Are they just given me a heads up that even if I submit Secondary now, I will just be chilling in the cue until everything else is in?

The reason why I am asking about this discrepancy is because to my knowledge, you can technically submit the Secondary now but you wont be considered "complete" for consideration to interview until everything else is in *excluding LORs*. From my experience, some schools do not review your LORs until AFTER you interview because at that point your file is complete in its entirety...

If the above is true, then what is stopping us from submitting the Secondary now and waiting for everything else to make its way (new MCAT and LOR receipts) on its own later on as it auto-populates onto our AMCAS vs. sitting on submitting the Secondary for additional 4-5 more weeks and then suffer a post-marked date that is 4-5 weeks from the receive date?

I am not sure if this has always been the norm and I just never noticed, specific to Tufts, and/or if this is something new because of COVID-19?

Sorry if this Q is kind of Noob, I am just not trying to sit on the Secondary for 4-5 weeks and thus make it look like I am not interested in Tufts as it is now one of my top choices.

Thanks in advance y'all, I appreciate your time and feedback!

Hey, bud! So I am still waiting for verification and whatnot as well but went ahead and submitted my secondary here! I think it’s saying you just won’t be marked complete until they receive all of those things even if you submit the secondary today. That was my interpretation of it at least!

I think this is what they're trying to say! Since you technically have the required LORs and an MCAT score, your application would be marked as complete soon after you submit the secondary and the committee might end up reviewing it with your old score + without your additional LORs - it is probably in your best interest to wait until they have your new MCAT score + LORs since those are such an important part of your application.

So I received the secondary invite on 7/13, but at the rate the AAMC is reviewing applications, I will probably not be verified until 8/6. I just have the secondary questions to submit before my application is "complete" (except LoRs, which I think you guys are saying don't need to be completed yet before an interview?), but do you think it matters if I submit the secondary 2 weeks (after I got the invite) vs. in 3 weeks (the day I'm predicting my application will be verified?), in terms of timing of when the secondary is sent back from time of invite?

So I received the secondary invite on 7/13, but at the rate the AAMC is reviewing applications, I will probably not be verified until 8/6. I just have the secondary questions to submit before my application is "complete" (except LoRs, which I think you guys are saying don't need to be completed yet before an interview?), but do you think it matters if I submit the secondary 2 weeks (after I got the invite) vs. in 3 weeks (the day I'm predicting my application will be verified?), in terms of timing of when the secondary is sent back from time of invite?

My pre-health advisors have advised me to ignore the two-week turnaround recommendation. Did I listen to them? No, but I'd already begun "pre-writing."

I think this is what they're trying to say! Since you technically have the required LORs and an MCAT score, your application would be marked as complete soon after you submit the secondary and the committee might end up reviewing it with your old score + without your additional LORs - it is probably in your best interest to wait until they have your new MCAT score + LORs since those are such an important part of your application.

This is how I interpreted that too TBH. I'm not verified yet, and my MCAT is next weekend so I'm waiting until after I've taken it to submit this secondary. I received it the day I submitted on 7/10 and *some* schools do look at your turnaround time to see if you "prioritized" them but they wouldn't even get my app or my MCAT until the second or third week of August anyway, so I'm not going to lose too much sleep over it. Also I don't want them to use my 2016 MCAT to make a decision because this one is going to be SO much better lol.

Hey, bud! So I am still waiting for verification and whatnot as well but went ahead and submitted my secondary here! I think it’s saying you just won’t be marked complete until they receive all of those things even if you submit the secondary today. That was my interpretation of it at least!

This is how I interpreted that too TBH. I'm not verified yet, and my MCAT is next weekend so I'm waiting until after I've taken it to submit this secondary. I received it the day I submitted on 7/10 and *some* schools do look at your turnaround time to see if you "prioritized" them but they wouldn't even get my app or my MCAT until the second or third week of August anyway, so I'm not going to lose too much sleep over it. Also I don't want them to use my 2016 MCAT to make a decision because this one is going to be SO much better lol.

Thanks for the feedback y'alll!!!!! You are all a godsend!

As of right now I think my essays on the secondary are strong enough to submit because so much of Tufts aligns with my personal and professional experiences and the physician I aspire to be. However my MCAT is still uncompetitive (<500) and hence why I am retaking in two weeks. Additionally, I know 9 LORs (since there is no limit) vs. 3, will only make me a stronger candidate in the consideration. They are all meaningful quality letters I've build with professors, mentors, and physicians.

But I am going to email them and see if they recommend I wait until close to my MCAT date to submit. I just find it all odd because they will see on my AMCAS that I’m have a future date pending, so i doubt that they will say "no sorry, only MCAT scores from historical dates. Tough luck"

If I submit now, I might have a chance. But if I wait, I know I will only be stronger.

Thanks for the feedback y'alll!!!!! You are all a godsend!

As of right now I think my essays on the secondary are strong enough to submit because so much of Tufts aligns with my personal and professional experiences and the physician I aspire to be. However my MCAT is still uncompetitive (<500) and hence why I am retaking in two weeks. Additionally, I know 9 LORs (since there is no limit) vs. 3, will only make me a stronger candidate in the consideration. They are all meaningful quality letters I've build with professors, mentors, and physicians.

But I am going to email them and see if they recommend I wait until close to my MCAT date to submit. I just find it all odd because they will see on my AMCAS that I’m have a future date pending, so i doubt that they will say "no sorry, only MCAT scores from historical dates. Tough luck"

If I submit now, I might have a chance. But if I wait, I know I will only be stronger.

Update. They told me I could submit now and be considered complete with historical MCAT and current LORs. If I got an interview, then the new MCAT and further LORs would be included in my final consideration for admissions after the interview. So just passing this along. I got a lot to think about.

Additionally, I know 9 LORs (since there is no limit) vs. 3, will only make me a stronger candidate in the consideration. They are all meaningful quality letters I've build with professors, mentors, and physicians.

Good luck on your exam! I hope you crush it.

However, I'm a little skeptical that using nine letters of recommendation would help you. I feel like the letter cap is high mainly to accommodate people who need letters to explain certain stuff like IAs, have extensive research with multiple PIs, or have a plethora of really unique extracurriculars. Not necessarily to have multiple analogous professor letters, physician letters, etc. Anyone else have any thoughts?

Reactions: 3 users

However, I'm a little skeptical that using nine letters of recommendation would help you. I feel like the letter cap is high mainly to accommodate people who need letters to explain certain stuff like IAs, have extensive research with multiple PIs, or have a plethora of really unique extracurriculars. Not necessarily to have multiple analogous professor letters, physician letters, etc. Anyone else have any thoughts?

Tbh , same. I doubt they're going to read 9 for any applicant so if you're sure all 9 are strong or if each one is unique and really expands on you as a person, then go for it but I've maxed out at 6 anywhere that will take unlimited and I'm pretty sure they're only going to read 3 or 4. I could be wrong.

But also that update is good to know! I will not be submitting until my new MCAT score is released then lol. Tbh that's my fear with the UC's right now - if they look @ my app before my new MCAT to determine if I get a secondary. But c'est la vie.

Tbh , same. I doubt they're going to read 9 for any applicant so if you're sure all 9 are strong or if each one is unique and really expands on you as a person, then go for it but I've maxed out at 6 anywhere that will take unlimited and I'm pretty sure they're only going to read 3 or 4. I could be wrong.

But also that update is good to know! I will not be submitting until my new MCAT score is released then lol. Tbh that's my fear with the UC's right now - if they look @ my app before my new MCAT to determine if I get a secondary. But c'est la vie.

Hi thanks for the well wishes and honest feedback!!

And I 100% agree! 9 seems mad cringe but they truly are all meaningful to different parts of my journey:

1 10-Year Mentor/Director of Summer program that planted the seed to this journey and made me believe the inconceivable dream was possible, 2 Science Professors, 2 MD (clinical paid and clinical volunteering), 2 from MS (PI and Graduate Director), 1 supervisor not MD (clinical paid), and 1 service letter for 10-year long initiative.

This might be a stupid question because no one else has asked it... but I'm totally confused by indicating how I've acquired the English competency.. I mean I'm a native English speaker and went to an English speaking college.. am I literally just supposed to write "went to an English speaking college"? Or are they looking for specific courses I took

This might be a stupid question because no one else has asked it... but I'm totally confused by indicating how I've acquired the English competency.. I mean I'm a native English speaker and went to an English speaking college.. am I literally just supposed to write "went to an English speaking college"? Or are they looking for specific courses I took
I literally wrote “I graduated with a BA from X College”

On the question about withdrawals or repeated coursework on transcript- I took a bunch of AP/IB and consequently they show up as repeats on my transcript. Does that mean I answer yes to that question even though I didn't really repeat any coursework?

Can anyone comment on the Research Concentration Program? What kind of person are they looking for/what can you accomplish with this that you couldn't do with just normal dedication to research during med school?

Can anyone comment on the Research Concentration Program? What kind of person are they looking for/what can you accomplish with this that you couldn't do with just normal dedication to research during med school?

To my understanding from the All Access Podcast: all students have a Scholarly Project that doesn't necessarily have to be wet lab bench research. But for those who want to pursue something more, but not do MD-PhD, can pursue the Research concentration which is essentially a full gap year in between clerkships. I strongly recommend listening to it. Anyone else please correct me if I am wrong.

What are people putting for the first essay? I've read a lot of different things about it, but I'm still not sure what to write/if I should include anything at all. Does anyone have any thoughts on that?

What are people putting for the first essay? I've read a lot of different things about it, but I'm still not sure what to write/if I should include anything at all. Does anyone have any thoughts on that?
What was the first question again?

For Maine track people, how many characters roughly are you using to describe your connections? I grew up in Maine...and that's my connection. I don't know how to elaborate very much on this and don't think writing a whole story about my identity as a Mainer is what they're looking for