2020-2021 Indiana

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know exactly what kinds of information we should be putting on the graduate school application? It says in the form NOT to upload any additional materials but not sure what stuff they DO want us to fill out. I think in order to even submit it we have to fill out the personal information section at least right?? E.g Do we still put "colleges attended" and "GPA entries"?

I filled out the personal info and colleges attended. I am not sure if I have to fill out the GPA entries :/

Members don't see this ad.

I filled out the personal info and colleges attended. I am not sure if I have to fill out the GPA entries :/

I am just selecting "I don't have a GPA to add" because I don't have that information. I'm hoping it's not a big deal.

Question for you all. For the Dean's of Students Evaluation form, am I supposed to send this form to whomever handles this at my main institution, and then have them mail it to the address on the bottom of the form?

Members don't see this ad :)

Any OOS not get a secondary yet? Was really looking forward to Indiana and the mid-west.

Reactions: 1 users
Any OOS not get a secondary yet? Was really looking forward to Indiana and the mid-west.

They don’t do secondaries. You only get invited to do the grad school app if you get offered an interview

Reactions: 1 user
Question for you all. For the Dean's of Students Evaluation form, am I supposed to send this form to whomever handles this at my main institution, and then have them mail it to the address on the bottom of the form?

Not sure but my school is only doing electronic submissions. Tried to call the number on the applicant portal but the line was disconnected

Not sure but my school is only doing electronic submissions. Tried to call the number on the applicant portal but the line was disconnected

I can't get into contact with anybody at my school either. I'm also hoping I don't have to do this for every school that I attended because with the combination of junior college, summer school, post bacc, I attended 5 schools. That's going to be a challenge. Especially during a pandemic. I'm just trying to go with the school I obtained my degree from.

Has anyone figured out where to include your AAMC ID in the Graduate School Application?

Went to My Application --> Program Materials --> Medicine MD --> Questions

Then it asks the question, "Did you include your AMCAS on the Graduate School Application?" Followed by "please include your AMCAS ID."

Is this the only place that we need to include our AMCAS ID or is there another place in the application that we needed to include it?
lol I'm wondering the same thing. Do we click "no" and then add the AMCAS ID? or click "yes"? so confusing

I can't get into contact with anybody at my school either. I'm also hoping I don't have to do this for every school that I attended because with the combination of junior college, summer school, post bacc, I attended 5 schools. That's going to be a challenge. Especially during a pandemic. I'm just trying to go with the school I obtained my degree from.
i have the same issue. three schools listed on my primary. i emailed them asking what was up. i don't even know who to contact for the school i actually got my degree from.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm also hoping I don't have to do this for every school that I attended

It says your undergraduate institution so I dont think we need to do postbacc/graduate schools...I also took a few summer undergrad credits at a local college so I hope that doesn't count :/

It says your undergraduate institution so I dont think we need to do postbacc/graduate schools...I also took a few summer undergrad credits at a local college so I hope that doesn't count :/

Yea I finally got into contact with a person who completed the form at my main undergraduate institution. Let's hope we're right. :highfive:

lol I'm wondering the same thing. Do we click "no" and then add the AMCAS ID? or click "yes"? so confusing

i have the same issue. three schools listed on my primary. i emailed them asking what was up. i don't even know who to contact for the school i actually got my degree from.

I got into contact with the Director of Advising at my institution, who just filled it out. Maybe that person who has that title at your school can do it for you as well.

I got into contact with the Director of Advising at my institution, who just filled it out. Maybe that person who has that title at your school can do it for you as well.
Were you able to get them to mail it back to IU? My school is only doing electronic submissions

Now it’s in current!
Screen Shot 2020-08-05 at 9.22.49 PM.png

Actually I still don't see it either, as it has traveled back to the past -_-

1596677064126.png

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 2 users
View attachment 315108
Actually I still don't see it either, as it has traveled back to the past -_-

You're looking at the 2020 entering class (see right side). I just solved this mystery - but not before I sent a now pointless email to tech support and the MD admissions office, *facepalm*. To find the 2021 program you need to go back to the log in page and look and the bottom. It will say "click here" for specific semesters - one of them is Fall 2021. Log into that application instead of the one you're in now. Then it will show up!

• Wow
You're looking at the 2020 entering class (see right side). I just solved this mystery - but not before I sent a now pointless email to tech support and the MD admissions office, *facepalm*. To find the 2021 program you need to go back to the log in page and look and the bottom. It will say "click here" for specific semesters - one of them is Fall 2021. Log into that application instead of the one you're in now. Then it will show up!

giphy.gif

why

also thank you <3

• Haha
Is anyone else's application portal taking a while to show that the fee was paid?

Is anyone else's application portal taking a while to show that the fee was paid?
Since we had to manually enter our AMCAS ID numbers, I'd bet they have to manually change our application statuses as well. I'd give it a few days

Does anyone know where all you have to report any institutional action (non academic and no probation or suspension or anything) on this application. Figured it would be only having to worry about the deans evaluation but I can’t tell if I have to hit “yes” on the legal disclosure form and then on the grad application not sure if I have to fill out yes for the behavior report

did you guys put "no" for the is ur AMCAS ID in the graduate application?
I put 'yes' since I included it in the next question which is technically a part of the graduate application :lol:

Who knows what that question means. As for me, I'm stuck waiting for anyone to respond to me from Indiana about this Dean's evaluation. I attended 2 undergrad institutions so I need to know if I need to do it twice, plus no one anywhere is responding to emails today, including my primary undergrad institution.

I also wish they would shoot me an email to confirm they got that virtual interview acknowledgement. I don't have a pdf program so I had to scan it and use a website to convert the png to a pdf :lame:

I put 'yes' since I included it in the next question which is technically a part of the graduate application :lol:

Who knows what that question means. As for me, I'm stuck waiting for anyone to respond to me from Indiana about this Dean's evaluation. I attended 2 undergrad institutions so I need to know if I need to do it twice, plus no one anywhere is responding to emails today, including my primary undergrad institution.

I also wish they would shoot me an email to confirm they got that virtual interview acknowledgement. I don't have a pdf program so I had to scan it and use a website to convert the png to a pdf :lame:

Awesome thank you!! same here. And yeah, I hope they don't need the Dean's eval before assigning an interview date

Okay, just got word back from IUSOM.

They only require the Dean's Evaluation from the Bachelor's Degree-granting institution, not from any additional institutions. Thank god!

Awesome thank you!! same here. And yeah, I hope they don't need the Dean's eval before assigning an interview date

On the Supplemental Information page, it does say you have to have it submitted before the date is scheduled, unfortunately.

Could someone else email them and ask how they would like the dean's evaluation submitted? I don't want to keep flooding them with emails, I think there might be just one guy working there today. I'm wondering if they require it to be mailed directly from your undergrad school or if you can mail it yourself, and if they accept it electronically somehow (email? fax?)

Man, three messages in a row, but just thought you guys should know that the Virtual Interview Acknowledgement form appears in your document upload tab on the application portal once they've received it. Good to see it there to keep the neuroticism down.

When will be able to schedule the interview?
Could someone else email them and ask how they would like the dean's evaluation submitted? I don't want to keep flooding them with emails, I think there might be just one guy working there today. I'm wondering if they require it to be mailed directly from your undergrad school or if you can mail it yourself, and if they accept it electronically somehow (email? fax?)
I have emailed them this question and the response I got this morning was "what undergrad did you go to?" and no other responses after that yet. Ill keep you posted.

When will be able to schedule the interview?

I have emailed them this question and the response I got this morning was "what undergrad did you go to?" and no other responses after that yet. Ill keep you posted.
Yikes. Communication doesn't seem to be IU's forte, huh? I feel bad, it seems like they're super understaffed.

It doesn't say anywhere with certainty, but based on the big red 'Steps 1-5 must be completed before interview' thing on the supplemental info page, my best guess is that once those steps are completed they send you another email? But then I'd also wonder why they would want to schedule an interview without CASPer results, which is step 6 on that page.

All that to say I think you have to have the grad app fee paid; the virtual acknowledgement, dean's evaluation, and legal disclosure forms completed; and your letters of rec in before they schedule an interview.

Last edited:
They got back to me and said that since my undergrad was only doing electronic submissions I could send it to their email, otherwise it’s supposed to be done when you’re school sends it to them by mail

For the Dean's Evaluation Form, who at your undergraduate school did you guys decide to send this to? Im pretty lost wondering who I should be emailing.

For the Dean's Evaluation Form, who at your undergraduate school did you guys decide to send this to? Im pretty lost wondering who I should be emailing.

I just googled the dean of students at my school and found the office of student conduct and conflict resolution, and emailed them through the "contact us" box haha. Turns out they do these kinds of things all the time and gave me a link to a website where I could submit our form.

Has anyone figured out where to include your AAMC ID in the Graduate School Application?

Went to My Application --> Program Materials --> Medicine MD --> Questions

Then it asks the question, "Did you include your AMCAS on the Graduate School Application?" Followed by "please include your AMCAS ID."

Is this the only place that we need to include our AMCAS ID or is there another place in the application that we needed to include it?
That is the only place to include it. I asked already the office. Super confusing thought. Just say yes and enter your AMCAS ID.

For anyone invited to interview, when you submitted the application and fee, did your portal update yet?

II this morning! 3.8/516/OOS with no ties/half URM. Complete on 7/23

II this morning! 3.8/516/OOS with no ties/half URM. Complete on 7/23
When you say complete, do you mean that is when you submitted it? I have not gotten any email but I also submitted this day.

Should we reach out to the admissions team if we still have not received any communications from Indiana about them getting our application?

When you say complete, do you mean that is when you submitted it? I have not gotten any email but I also submitted this day.

So I submitted my primary on 5/29 and it was verified sometime in mid June (I'd have to check). I got an email from Indiana saying they received my primary application on 7/23.

I just googled the dean of students at my school and found the office of student conduct and conflict resolution, and emailed them through the "contact us" box haha. Turns out they do these kinds of things all the time and gave me a link to a website where I could submit our form.

Thank you so much I'll try that right now !

For anyone invited to interview, when you submitted the application and fee, did your portal update yet?
Mine still has not updated. I submitted the fee 2 days ago.

Geez, the '7 days or app cancelled' thing is stressing me out. I'm sure they wouldn't cancel apps based on their own processing speeds, but everything about this cycle is killing me

I still haven’t received an email from indiana that my app was received? My app was transmitted on the first day and I got secondaries for all other schools by now. OOS/MD applicant.

Reactions: 3 users
I still haven’t received an email from indiana that my app was received? My app was transmitted on the first day and I got secondaries for all other schools by now. OOS/MD applicant.

+1

edit: crazy to think I spent the past month submitting 30 seconaries and the school I’ve been waiting to hear from doesn’t send secondaries in the first place lol

Last edited:
For IU, what constitutes a personal letter? Would a PI be considered personal if I never took any classes with them?
Also I know in the past IU has required shadowing of three physicians, does that requirement still apply this year? (I’ve only shadowed two)

Thanks!

For IU, what constitutes a personal letter? Would a PI be considered personal if I never took any classes with them?
Also I know in the past IU has required shadowing of three physicians, does that requirement still apply this year? (I’ve only shadowed two)

Thanks!
They list supervisors, mentors, academic advisors, research assistants, etc. on their supplemental info form, so a PI would almost certainly work. I've heard of people getting accepted with subpar shadowing, but I wouldn't bank on it if possible.