2020-2021 Emory

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I think the II's are a troll. Someone spammed Emory, Dartmouth, Vanderbilt, and Case Western and there is a secondary complete entry of 6/26 :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Some of the Vandy ones are likely real, based on people reporting IIs on SDN.

Can someone comment on curriculum at Emory? How much of it is lecture-style vs active learning? Would love to hear from a current student.

Reactions: 1 user
Would it be ok to use the "any updates" secondary question as a covid essay?

Would it be ok to use the "any updates" secondary question as a covid essay?

Not sure what you mean by "covid essay" but I left that blank bc I already talked about my gap year plans in the first question and how it has been affected by covid

More like how covid affected my timeline since I sent in my primary i.e. got COVID so my projected hours for work/volunteering are off and I had to postpone mcat until July

oh gotcha, yeah I think that is relevant info to include in the updates question

Someone is entering fake II into the tracker (I think....or at least I hope)

I was just in an Emory PHA meeting with an MD who has insider information on med school admissions. He said that Emory Med isn't starting interviews until September 13.

And... There's quite a few submissions in the II tracker that say their interviews are before September 13. So yeah, they're fake dw. Emory also tends to send their II later than most med schools

Reactions: 11 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I was just in an Emory PHA meeting with an MD who has insider information on med school admissions. He said that Emory Med isn't starting interviews until September 13.

And... There's quite a few submissions in the II tracker that say their interviews are before September 13. So yeah, they're fake dw. Emory also tends to send their II later than most med schools
It is unfortunate that there are such blatant examples of people submitting false information on this tracker. Emory is only one example. I wouldn't be surprised if 10% of those entries are made up.

Reactions: 2 users

On the bright side, IIs are definitely coming out soon if the first interview date is Sept 13.

Reactions: 1 users
On the bright side, IIs are definitely coming out soon if the first interview date is Sept 13.
lol septmeber 13th is a sunday-- they'll come out when they come out it doesn't really matter if the tracker is real or not

At this point I don’t necessarily believe anything I hear on this site haha — everyone else is a clueless pre med jsut like me. I just check for memes and to see what the general consensus about things are

Reactions: 6 users
I just realized I took more than 2 weeks to complete the secondary. Will this penalize me?
Yeah dude I've heard they take 18% of your future salary for the rest of your life if you take 15+ days to turn it in

• Haha
Reactions: 14 users
I just realized I took more than 2 weeks to complete the secondary. Will this penalize me?
I'm sure you're find. I think the 2-weeks timeline is more of a general guideline that you should aim for, but I'm still working on some secondaries that I received 4 weeks ago. Unless of course the school requires it to be returned within a certain time--then it's an issue.

Reactions: 3 users
too late to submit here?
Lol it's always interesting to me when folks ask this question on here bc we are literally all just other students whose opinions mean nothing. We know basically nothing about how different schools do their application processes.

You're a little bit late, but I say go for it if you really like them. They're probably more lenient this cycle, anyway. What I can say for a fact is you have a 0% chance if you don't apply lol

Reactions: 3 users
Lol it's always interesting to me when folks ask this question on here bc we are literally all just other students whose opinions mean nothing. We know basically nothing about how different schools do their application processes.

You're a little bit late, but I say go for it if you really like them. They're probably more lenient this cycle, anyway. What I can say for a fact is you have a 0% chance if you don't apply lol
Completely agree with you on your statement, just wanted to put out another perspective on why people ask for advice (or if they are late) on SDN,Reddit, etc: Not everyone has the same knowledge base. Like someone might have heard something from adcom, or read something on a website, or got advice from a current med student, etc. For that reason, its completely fine to ask that kind of advice because maybe someone might say that, "no this school's timeline is pretty accelerated and the chances aren't good (e.g. Tulane)." Given that, OP can then make a more informed decision to apply based on their financials, desire to actually attend, etc. Just my two cents.

Reactions: 9 users
Completely agree with you on your statement, just wanted to put out another perspective on why people ask for advice (or if they are late) on SDN,Reddit, etc: Not everyone has the same knowledge base. Like someone might have heard something from adcom, or read something on a website, or got advice from a current med student, etc. For that reason, its completely fine to ask that kind of advice because maybe someone might say that, "no this school's timeline is pretty accelerated and the chances aren't good (e.g. Tulane)." Given that, OP can then make a more informed decision to apply based on their financials, desire to actually attend, etc. Just my two cents.

Oh for sure...to be clear, I'm not trying to say that folks shouldn't questions on here. I am not the question police haha. Totally ask whatever is on your mind. This particular question is just interesting bc, while I totally agree that different students have different amounts of knowledge wrt this process and different schools, I think it's pretty safe to assume that we don't know the intricate details of the admissions process to the point where we can give valid advice about whether somebody should apply or not...esp. during a time like this.

Honestly, I just find that people on here can be a bit ridiculous sometimes (like speaking as if they have authority and telling people not to submit a secondary if it's a day later than two weeks...stuff like that, lol).

I don't think I really conveyed what I was meaning to say, which is that I believe that if somebody is really into a school, don't let other folks on here tell you it is too late to apply. Go for it! And sorry for not conveying that properly lol @babygreenbeans

hahahah ur good. just wanted to see what people thought. not too serious

Oh for sure...to be clear, I'm not trying to say that folks shouldn't questions on here. I am not the question police haha. Totally ask whatever is on your mind. This particular question is just interesting bc, while I totally agree that different students have different amounts of knowledge wrt this process and different schools, I think it's pretty safe to assume that we don't know the intricate details of the admissions process to the point where we can give valid advice about whether somebody should apply or not...esp. during a time like this.

Honestly, I just find that people on here can be a bit ridiculous sometimes (like speaking as if they have authority and telling people not to submit a secondary if it's a day later than two weeks...stuff like that, lol).

I don't think I really conveyed what I was meaning to say, which is that I believe that if somebody is really into a school, don't let other folks on here tell you it is too late to apply. Go for it! And sorry for not conveying that properly lol @babygreenbeans
Haha youre gucci. Completely agree that no information online is 100% accurate unless its from adcom directly and should not be taken as end all be all. I am an advocate for fostering discussion within the community and since this is my #1 choice, I really wanted to play an active role in encouraging questions and vocal if I notice condescending messages. Sorry I misinterpreted your intent, but glad that we're on the same page :)

Haha youre gucci. Completely agree that no information online is 100% accurate unless its from adcom directly and should not be taken as end all be all. I am an advocate for fostering discussion within the community and since this is my #1 choice, I really wanted to play an active role in encouraging questions and vocal if I notice condescending messages. Sorry I misinterpreted your intent, but glad that we're on the same page :)
Lol no need to apologize, after re-reading my message I can totally see why you felt that way. I really like Emory too, I hope we all get IIs!

Not that I hold too much value on it, but it appears someone reported an II for Emory yesterday, so either we'll start seeing more pop up or its just another fluke.

Current student here, will pop in from time to time when I can to see if there's any questions I can help answer about the program! Best of luck to everyone :)

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
anyone with an II sign up for the "virtual overnight host" and not heard anything yet? I requested a week ago and haven't heard anything, wondering if I should resubmit, reach out about it, or keep waiting? My interview is Monday so wondering if it's supposed to only come out the day before (tomorrow) but the way the info makes it seem is someone would've contacted me already and I am definitely hoping to speak with a current student since this is one of my top schools! Wondering if anyone else has any input/advice! Thanks

Edit* also, my II email says the interview begins at 12 noon, the admissions portal says Monday interviews begin at 11:30am - I know this is minor but wondering if anyone has info on this too. Might just reach out for clarification if not.
I haven’t heard back yet, but I signed up for it on Friday so it makes sense. In your case, I would try contacting them bc it’s supposed to be tonight, correct?

Yeah I assume its supposed to be tonight. Just not entirely sure who would be available to contact on a Sunday. May try sending an email in the next couple hours if I still don't hear anything.
Just curious, what was in that package they said they would send a week before? My interview is on 10/9

I thought Emory doesn’t reject any applicants until the very end...
"No completed applicant is rejected during the interview season. Please note that there is no change in the status of your completed application unless you are invited to interview. Please do not call the Office of Admissions to check on the status of your application. If you are selected for an interview, we promise to contact you immediately. We conduct interviews from September through February."

Straight off their website!

Edit: maybe they didn't meet the requirements or something? @sleepytimes any more info?

Last edited:
"No completed applicant is rejected during the interview season. Please note that there is no change in the status of your completed application unless you are invited to interview. Please do not call the Office of Admissions to check on the status of your application. If you are selected for an interview, we promise to contact you immediately. We conduct interviews from September through February."

Edit: maybe they didn't meet the requirements or something? @sleepytimes any more info?
My guess is it was pre-secondary and the rejection statement only applies to applicants post-secondary. They do screen pre-secondary.

Oh yes, I took the MCAT more than 3 times, so I didn't even get a secondary!

Here...
"As our Admissions Committee will not review applications from those who have taken the MCAT exam more than three times, we regret to inform you that your application is ineligible for further review and has been removed from consideration".