2020-2021 Emory

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone sent in more than 1 update? My 1st update is submitted but the text is still in the text box, so I'm wondering if I should delete the text and add in my 2nd update to the box?
I have no idea what the right way to go about this is but I submitted a second update and just shortened my original a bit and added on my new update below it and re-saved it. There is an area where it says last update entered XXX but I didn't want to risk it because I was nervous if I cleared the first one and wrote a second if it would be deleted. Probably not too helpful but just my two cents!

Members don't see this ad.

I have no idea what the right way to go about this is but I submitted a second update and just shortened my original a bit and added on my new update below it and re-saved it. There is an area where it says last update entered XXX but I didn't want to risk it because I was nervous if I cleared the first one and wrote a second if it would be deleted. Probably not too helpful but just my two cents!

I did the same, as well. Lol.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey, I just received an email saying financial aid application received from this school and it shows a school ID and everything inside the email. Is this something everyone receives? Just wondering if it could possibly be a hint at a future interview, but I also just could be getting way too ahead of myself lol.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, I just received an email saying financial aid application received from this school and it shows a school ID and everything inside the email. Is this something everyone receives? Just wondering if it could possibly be a hint at a future interview, but I also just could be getting way too ahead of myself lol.
I got it too, also waiting on an II. I'm not reading too far into it for my sanity's sake. 😬

Reactions: 1 users

I got it too, also waiting on an II. I'm not reading too far into it for my sanity's sake. 😬
I didn't get this, so it might mean something for you. Good luck

I got the same thing as you all. I would not read into it at all, I think it is meaningless. They are not trying to play mind games and give out interview hints. They will give you an interview if they want to interview you. I know the cycle is stressful, but not everything is a sign of good or bad fortune.

Reactions: 3 users
I got the same thing as you all. I would not read into it at all, I think it is meaningless. They are not trying to play mind games and give out interview hints. They will give you an interview if they want to interview you. I know the cycle is stressful, but not everything is a sign of good or bad fortune.
Exactly why I'm not reading into it. I just think it can be helpful to report on the nuances involved in this process as a resource for others who may be in the same position now or in a future admissions cycle.

Last edited:
  • Care
Assuming if I haven't had a portal change yet then I have been pushed to the next round?

Did y’all submit fafsa to Emory?
I did! I only applied to 10 schools so I just went ahead and put all 10 in when I did my FAFSA. I've only gotten emails regarding the FAFSA from Emory (where I have not heard from at all so far) and UNC (where I have interviewed but have not heard back from yet) though.

I did! I only applied to 10 schools so I just went ahead and put all 10 in when I did my FAFSA. I've only gotten emails regarding the FAFSA from Emory (where I have not heard from at all so far) and UNC (where I have interviewed but have not heard back from yet) though.
That’s probably why you got the emails and those of us who didn’t submit fafsa to Emory didn’t.

That’s probably why you got the emails and those of us who didn’t submit fafsa to Emory didn’t.
I wouldn't doubt it. There were plenty of people in the UNC thread who said they had sent in their FAFSA but never received the email, though. There seemed to be no rhyme or reason as to why some people received it and others didn't, hence why I came to this thread to suggest not to think anything of the email from Emory.

Last edited:
II today! LM 69.5, OOS, complete late July! So excited!!!

• Love
Reactions: 21 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats that's awesome!! Can you see how many dates are left by chance?
Thank you so much!! When I was selecting all I could see was February 19th and 26th! I can't see the calendar right now, but I didn't check to see if there were any in March so I am not sure if there are any or not! Hope this helps :)

II today! LM 69.5, OOS, complete late July! So excited!!!
Congrats. Did you send an update recently? Also - ORM or URM? (Don't forget to include your shoe and shirt sizes as well :p )

• Haha
  • Care
Reactions: 4 users
Congrats. Did you send an update recently? Also - ORM or URM? (Don't forget to include your shoe and shirt sizes as well :p )
Thank you so much! I sent an update at the end of December! And I am ORM. Shoes are a solid 7.5 and shirt is a small! lol!

• Haha
Thank you so much!! When I was selecting all I could see was February 19th and 26th! I can't see the calendar right now, but I didn't check to see if there were any in March so I am not sure if there are any or not! Hope this helps :)
Anyone know if this statement on their website mean that once February is over, they will no longer be sending IIs?

1612209085291.png

Does that mean emory’s done sending out II?
Not necessarily. If they interview through February, that means they could still potentially send out II's over the next week or two for interview spots later in the month. But by the time mid-February rolls around, it's probably a safe bet that II's are done.

What date are they sending out acceptances in Feb and March? I want to say it was Feb 16 and March 9 but I don't think I wrote them down. I interviewed 12/21 and did not receive an A during the Jan 25th wave... Just want to know when to get anxious again

What date are they sending out acceptances in Feb and March? I want to say it was Feb 16 and March 9 but I don't think I wrote them down. I interviewed 12/21 and did not receive an A during the Jan 25th wave... Just want to know when to get anxious again
haha so close. feb 15 and march 8th

Thread seems kind of empty, nothing reported this month yet. Hopefully we see a huge II influx in the upcoming weeks!

• Care
Reactions: 5 users
just got an II!! complete late july and i saw 3 dates open in february

• Love
Reactions: 22 users
for those who have interviewed -- how long are the group and individual interviews? is one longer than the other?

It seems that Emory doesn't take updates too seriously -- I've submitted 2 updates (October and December) that include my recent projects/research publications and just found out another one of my publications has been approved. I don't want to be ~annoying~ and keep adding all these "I got published again" updates, especially since I got the sense on my interview that updates were more of a hassle than help for applicants. Just want to give it my all since Emory is my top choice.

Can anyone comment on their experience? Sorry this is a weird/annoying question
I’m not sure anyone on here can really give you a definitive answer, as I’m sure how much updates factor in their decision depends on what kind of updates they are and how they view you as an applicant. FWIW I received a II not long after an update but again not sure if it was because of the update necessarily.

I don’t think you should worry about “annoying” admissions with updates. If you think you have a meaningful update, by all means I would go for it. I’m would think they want to see as full a picture as they can in reviewing applications

It seems that Emory doesn't take updates too seriously -- I've submitted 2 updates (October and December) that include my recent projects/research publications and just found out another one of my publications has been approved. I don't want to be ~annoying~ and keep adding all these "I got published again" updates, especially since I got the sense on my interview that updates were more of a hassle than help for applicants. Just want to give it my all since Emory is my top choice.

Can anyone comment on their experience? Sorry this is a weird/annoying question
I feel like they get so many apps it is just difficult to get noticed at this point in the cycle. Since you have another meaningful update to send, I think that your update will help remind them to notice you; I would say go for the update!

for those who have interviewed -- how long are the group and individual interviews? is one longer than the other?
group interview was a little longer than the individual interview (individual was around 30 min if I remember correctly!)

When were you complete? And stats? And did you send an update? Lol Congrats and sorry for the bombardment of questions
Complete 12/1, Undergrad GPA 3.0, Grad GPA 4.0, MCAT 507...so needless to say I was very surprised lol!!!

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
Complete 12/1, Undergrad GPA 3.0, Grad GPA 4.0, MCAT 507...so needless to say I was very surprised lol!!!
Congrats! If you don’t mind sharing were you in state or out of state? Not sure if it really matters for Emory, just wondering though.

????? Is asking if they’re URM a bad thing or something? Whoops.

Dude don't worry, its a valid question and some people just like to hate lol.
I'm a Non-trad with thousands of pt contact hours as a 911 EMT, hundreds of volunteer and research hours with an NIH grant to boot. Asking someone if their URM is offensive. It suggests that their stats (personal accomplishments) aren't enough to have gotten their foot in the door without factoring in their skin color. So if you hadn't guessed I am URM and I do actually find that rude. A better question would have been "what are your extracurriculars?" ...but if you're upset you didn't get an interview and need to blame it on my skin color, that's fine too.

• Care
Reactions: 18 users
I am URM too (black female). It’s really not a big deal and you didn’t have to answer the question if you didn’t want to. Bye.
This is very much giving “I’m black and cool if my friends say it” energy. OP clearly stated their perspective and was valid in doing so. There was no purpose to you giving this response other than to try to invalidate that point which is incredibly counterproductive and offensive.

• Dislike
  • Inappropriate
Reactions: 16 users
Let's keep this thread civil please. If y'all need to attack each other, please do it via DM. Ty.

• Haha
  • Inappropriate
Reactions: 10 users
Let's keep this thread civil please. If y'all need to attack each other, please do it via DM. Ty.
I thought OP was raising a valid point since URM applicants are obviously a point of contention to the rest of the premed community. It’s not really a discussion we can (or should) run away from on a premed applicant forum lol but if anyone felt “attacked” by my input that was not my intention

Also SN: the point to chime in would have probably been when people were calling URM applicants “sensitive” and “haters” above. It’s important to not just come in to silence people when they speak their truth.

• Care
Reactions: 8 users
I thought OP was raising a valid point since URM applicants are obviously a point of contention to the rest of the premed community. It’s not really a discussion we can (or should) run away from on a premed applicant forum lol but if anyone felt “attacked” by my input that was not my intention

Also SN: the point to chime in would have probably been when people were calling URM applicants “sensitive” and “haters” above. It’s important to not just come in to silence people when they speak their truth.
All I'm saying is, if a discussion (civil or not) regarding URMs wants to be brought up, someone can start one on the pre-medical threads page instead of taking up space on this thread. When I saw my notifications blow up on this thread, I thought something crazy happened for this school this cycle.

But I would also like to remind everyone of the infamous rejection letter from Emory (1959) that has been circulating recently where the Dean stated in the letter that the applicant could not be accepted due to their race (Black). That was not that long ago. Anyone who thinks it's unfair that URMs have a slight edge now in admissions should really read up on the history of this profession.

• Care
Reactions: 11 users
I'm a Non-trad with thousands of pt contact hours as a 911 EMT, hundreds of volunteer and research hours with an NIH grant to boot. Asking someone if their URM is offensive. It suggests that their stats (personal accomplishments) aren't enough to have gotten their foot in the door without factoring in their skin color. So if you hadn't guessed I am URM and I do actually find that rude. A better question would have been "what are your extracurriculars?" ...but if you're upset you didn't get an interview and need to blame it on my skin color, that's fine too.
LMAO dude chillax... i never said youre getting an interview solely based off of your skin color. Being URM or ORM is a component of a med school application and is solely up to you if you want to answer your question. Some people ask for MCAT scores... doesn't mean I have to feel offended cuz a 528 (completely made up so chill if you think im trying to flex, I obviously got a 541 ;) ) is the reason I got an interview which, in fact, inherently diminishes the rest of my app including experiences. To each their own. Your last sentence was definitely uncalled for and I would hope that is not the kind of mentality you are bringing to med school. Out of the thousands of med school applicants, your skin color is not the defining factor that got you in compared to other applicants and no one is blaming you for taking their interview spot haha.

@depaysement ... point of clarification- me saying "haters" was never directed to URM applicants... it was directed to those who were introducing negativity without offering a civil discussion into their personal opinions.

• Dislike
  • Inappropriate
Reactions: 11 users
I didn’t know what I said was gonna shake the table like this. I was trying to just gauge my chances of hearing back based on what I read on here. Let’s go back to reporting interview invites and acceptances and what not. 😁

• Haha
  • Hmm
Those of you accepted by the office of multicultural affairs, I’m assuming you selected to meet with them on interview day right?