2020-2021 Chicago Med at Rosalind Franklin

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I think they sent it to all waitlisted people.
I know someone posted a response from them saying they did, but I am on the WL and did not receive this email. I also saw a couple people that posted above that also did not get the email. Based on how they review people post vita it appears like they do everything in batches so they may send it to the rest of us next week or something, but as of right now I did not get the email.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
I know someone posted a response from them saying they did, but I am on the WL and did not receive this email. I also saw a couple people that posted above that also did not get the email. Based on how they review people post vita it appears like they do everything in batches so they may send it to the rest of us next week or something, but as of right now I did not get the email.
Thanks. I didn’t know:)

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know anything about RFUs process? Do they send out rejections? Going on four months post VITA.

Members don't see this ad :)
POST-II R: Damn I guess I bombed vita? I didn't think it went that bad but ok. good luck everyone LM ~75 VITA October.

• Care
Same just added to the alternate list, sent in my VITA in December. ~LM 68

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey All, keep your heads up. App complete 8/31, II early Oct. Vita sent end of Oct. Acceptance today. MCAT 509, GPA 3.8, non-trad. This was my only II, so feeling good. Sending good vibes because so many of you kept me positive throughout the wait.

• Love
Reactions: 17 users
Just got the A email a few hours ago, my first A! Complete 10/23, II 2/1, VITA completed 2/9. IS too. Best of luck to everyone else, this process sucks lol

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
placed on alternate list. Is this a waitlist? Also says in the update they’ll start reviewing alternate lists in early December that mean next cycle or is it just a recycled letter?

placed on alternate list. Is this a waitlist? Also says in the update they’ll start reviewing alternate lists in early December that mean next cycle or is it just a recycled letter?
I think it’s an automated letter for this cycle, so it’s referring to Dec 2020.

yeah this is a waitlist, there seems to be a lot of movement between March and May based on previous threads so hopefully we’ll squeeze in :)

Reactions: 3 users
Hey y'all. I haven't read this thread at all.

I'm a current M4 at CMS and it would be pretty hard for them to keep me from graduating at this point. Gonna tag @kraskadva for the same reason.

If you have any questions about going here, I'll give you the no BS answer. I think she will too.

Just throwing this out there. Good luck this cycle everyone.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users

I'm a current M4 at CMS and it would be pretty hard for them to keep me from graduating at this point. Gonna tag @kraskadva for the same reason.

If you have any questions about going here, I'll give you the no BS answer. I think she will too.

Hey, thanks for doing this! I have a few questions.

What would your overall impression (admin, classmates, quality of education, etc.) of your time at CMS be? Did you feel well-supported over your 4 years?
Sense that I got from a M1 here earlier and the student session is that the environment is pretty supportive within classmates but the admin may be a bit out of touch.

Extending on the question about the administration. From the outside, at least it seems the AdCom may be a bit all over the place (last year's letter saying they rejected applications without reading them, this year switching to VITA only, etc.), is the overall admin also like this? Are the other departments notably better, worse, or about what you would expect for a med school?

How was your experience with rotations given that CMS doesn't have a teaching hospital? Was it difficult to secure rotations for the specialties you wanted? How were the quality of the sites that you rotated at?

Thanks again for your time.

Oooh, is this the current applicant thread? Cool beans.

Yeah, hi everyone, I'm a salty M4, feel free to ask away

• Love

What would your overall impression (admin, classmates, quality of education, etc.) of your time at CMS be? Did you feel well-supported over your 4 years?
Sense that I got from a M1 here earlier and the student session is that the environment is pretty supportive within classmates but the admin may be a bit out of touch.
This is a mid to low tier US MD school, i.e. it meets all the minimums and turns out ~200 fairly well qualified docs each year. Are they gonna hold your hand and pat you on the head all the way through? No.
For the average to above average student, there will be sufficient support for whatever you need. The flaws in this school show up for those who are below average or have some specific issue that pops up, and then you see everyone from the admin on down drop the ball and not give them the extra help they need. Most of those make it through anyway (whether by spite, help from classmates, or other support systems) but some do not.
Extending on the question about the administration. From the outside, at least it seems the AdCom may be a bit all over the place (last year's letter saying they rejected applications without reading them, this year switching to VITA only, etc.), is the overall admin also like this? Are the other departments notably better, worse, or about what you would expect for a med school?
I don't interact with the AdCom at all and procedures have changed a bit since I was in your shoes, so can't speak to that directly, but they did just hire a new Dean of Admissions, who looks promising.
This last year of COVID confusion has, like in many other arenas, highlighted the problem areas pretty strongly. Before this year I would have said "about what you would expect from a med school" and it wouldn't have been a lie at all. Every school has their issues and admin that are better or worse. But I've spent a lot of time this past year talking with friends at other schools and comparing the responses of their admin in the face of pandemic upheaval to ours does not reflect well on CMS. Most of this comes out in ways that are more annoying than harmful, but the admin here have a real head-in-the-sand approach to real crisis that has negatively affected a number of students in serious ways.
How was your experience with rotations given that CMS doesn't have a teaching hospital? Was it difficult to secure rotations for the specialties you wanted? How were the quality of the sites that you rotated at?

Thanks again for your time.
Personally I liked going around the city and seeing different approaches/different populations. Some sites are better, some are worse, but this (as opposed to a mothership hospital) is not going to affect education and opportunities for the majority of students. Where it becomes a difficulty is if you want to go into something super specialized/competitive, since you have to find those mentors/rotations yourself.
As far as securing rotations, for M3 year they are assigned/guaranteed for you, you don't have to arrange those yourself. For M4, this past year was widely variable, between what you were looking for and what was available in the midst of a pandemic, but that is not an issue that was isolated to CMS. In the past, and likely in the future, people are generally able to get the rotations they want/need.

All that said, if this ends up being your one acceptance, then you're gonna take it, no discussion.
If you have other options to choose from, then it's time to start weighing pros v cons, and at the CMS price point you can probably find a more supportive/better ranked/better admin school for equal or less money.

And as with all responses here, I am one salty M4, so take any opinions with that in mind.

Reactions: 11 users
This is a mid to low tier US MD school, i.e. it meets all the minimums and turns out ~200 fairly well qualified docs each year. Are they gonna hold your hand and pat you on the head all the way through? No.
For the average to above average student, there will be sufficient support for whatever you need. The flaws in this school show up for those who are below average or have some specific issue that pops up, and then you see everyone from the admin on down drop the ball and not give them the extra help they need. Most of those make it through anyway (whether by spite, help from classmates, or other support systems) but some do not.

I don't interact with the AdCom at all and procedures have changed a bit since I was in your shoes, so can't speak to that directly, but they did just hire a new Dean of Admissions, who looks promising.
This last year of COVID confusion has, like in many other arenas, highlighted the problem areas pretty strongly. Before this year I would have said "about what you would expect from a med school" and it wouldn't have been a lie at all. Every school has their issues and admin that are better or worse. But I've spent a lot of time this past year talking with friends at other schools and comparing the responses of their admin in the face of pandemic upheaval to ours does not reflect well on CMS. Most of this comes out in ways that are more annoying than harmful, but the admin here have a real head-in-the-sand approach to real crisis that has negatively affected a number of students in serious ways.

Personally I liked going around the city and seeing different approaches/different populations. Some sites are better, some are worse, but this (as opposed to a mothership hospital) is not going to affect education and opportunities for the majority of students. Where it becomes a difficulty is if you want to go into something super specialized/competitive, since you have to find those mentors/rotations yourself.
As far as securing rotations, for M3 year they are assigned/guaranteed for you, you don't have to arrange those yourself. For M4, this past year was widely variable, between what you were looking for and what was available in the midst of a pandemic, but that is not an issue that was isolated to CMS. In the past, and likely in the future, people are generally able to get the rotations they want/need.

All that said, if this ends up being your one acceptance, then you're gonna take it, no discussion.
If you have other options to choose from, then it's time to start weighing pros v cons, and at the CMS price point you can probably find a more supportive/better ranked/better admin school for equal or less money.

And as with all responses here, I am one salty M4, so take any opinions with that in mind.
That was really helpful. Thanks for taking the time to write all of this out!

current medical student at RFU as well. Not as salty yet hahah:rofl:

willing to answer any questions you guys may have as well.

feel free to private message me as well if you would prefer that

current medical student at RFU as well. Not as salty yet hahah:rofl:

willing to answer any questions you guys may have as well.

feel free to private message me as well if you would prefer that
How has your experience at RFU been so far? How connected are you with your classmates? Is it a collaborative environment or more competitive?

I suspect I might be slightly less salty than Kras, so I'll answer theses too.

The bolded is correct. My class is (mostly) amazingly supportive and collaborative. I'm a nontrad student and wouldn't have done well in a cut throat environment. Our students are very supportive and you will find "your people" here, whoever that is.

I do think the admin is a bit slow to respond and for the 5% or so that may struggle, I think they deserve a bit better support.

Still, most of us do well. We typically punch above our weight in the match.

Adcom has been a weak point.

I say that as someone who has worked with admissions all four years.

The good news is you will never see anyone from Adcom again after you are admitted unless you decide to work with them. The school is aware that there have been mistakes, and I do think the current leadership would like to improve it.

The switch to VITA was mostly due to COVID. Hopefully it won't be permanent.

I loved my clinical rotations. I was really worried about it when I was deciding where to go. I typically got the location I wanted for 3rd year. I'm very interested in public health so I enjoyed the exposure to both posh suburban hospitals and resource strapped county hospitals. We don't have our own hospital, but surprisingly I think our clinical years are far better than our preclinical years.

At the end of the day, I had other options. I made the right choice in coming to CMS. If you offered me an acceptance to a T20 school or a state school for a third of the price, I would probably take it. But, I think CMS does a good job in preparing 90% of students for the career they want. I would make the same choice again.

How has your experience at RFU been so far? How connected are you with your classmates? Is it a collaborative environment or more competitive?

I have enjoyed RFU so far and recommend the school. If you get into a cheaper and well-established MD school go there, rfu wont offer anything more than a cheaper school can provide. gotta watch out for the debt. but if you get an acceptance and end up attending here you can have a good time and the school will give you the tools you need to be a good doctor. Its a smaller school that is a little "out of the way" kind of in that its a small city and stuff. Fits my personality well, I am a pretty chill person and don't care much about prestige and all of that. RFU obviously isn't a Harvard or U of Chicago. its a small not very well known MD school that can help you get to where you need to be and match into any specialty you want. if interested in very competitive specialties (derm, surgery subspecialties) you will have to grind a little harder coming from RFU cause there just aren't as many opportunities or resources

I am not super connected with my classmates, but that is more due to personal choice, I have always been quiet. I have a lot of family in the area and stuff and spend time with them. COVID basically shut everything down too so that has made it harder to be connected with classmates. Haven't really seen any of them for a while. So Im probably not the best person to ask about this. but I have made a few really good friends and the class is so large you will find people to chill with

environment is very collaborative. class is P/F with mostly NBME exams and there isn't much incentive to be competitive and beat out others. people were always sharing notes and study guides and stuff.

Reactions: 7 users
Withdrawing my acceptance here. Best of luck everbody!

Reactions: 8 users
How longs does CMS take to get back to you after you submitted the VITA to them?

Has anyone else on the waitlist registered for the virtual tour and "ask me anything" panel. I know 1 person on this thread has, but trying to figure out if it is appropriate to sign up if you are on the waitlist?

Has anyone else on the waitlist registered for the virtual tour and "ask me anything" panel. I know 1 person on this thread has, but trying to figure out if it is appropriate to sign up if you are on the waitlist?
Yes I have. I have received emails from two student ambassadors since. Still on waitlist.

Yes I have. I have received emails from two student ambassadors since. Still on waitlist.
Also on the WL but have not been contacted by student ambassadors

I am on the waitlist but never got the email about the virtual tour. How would you guys recommend I sign up??

I did.

Post-rejection masters program advertisement.

V classy, RFU.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
I am on the waitlist but never got the email about the virtual tour. How would you guys recommend I sign up??
I am also on the WL and did not get the email where they were offering the tour and what not. Seeing as they do most things in batches I imagine they will slowly reach out to everyone on the WL.

Any updates on post-II decisions?? Are they done with II season?

current rfu student here

I dunno how it will be different with Covid, but in past years interview season is generally done by mid-march (so in the next couple of weeks). People are pulled off the waitlist up until the day of class, with most movement in May and June

Last edited:
current rfu student

I dunno how it will be different with Covid, but in past years interview season is generally done by mid-march (so in the next couple of weeks). People are pulled off the waitlist up until the day of class, with most movement in May and June
Thank u!! :)

Question for a current student: how necessary is it to have a car at RFU? Worried about having a car in the Chicago winters if it is not necessary.

Question for a current student: how necessary is it to have a car at RFU? Worried about having a car in the Chicago winters if it is not necessary.
It's pretty necessary. You can make it through the first 2 years on campus without one - there's a shuttle to the grocery store and friends will give you rides, but for the clinical years you are going all over Chicagoland for rotations and a car is by far the easiest way to do that. I know a couple of classmates that did public tran for everything, but it tripled their daily commutes, which is brutal with a lot of rotations.
Also, Chicago winters are not nearly as bad as everyone makes them out to be.

Current M1 who did BMS and lived near campus last year. I agree with what @kraskadva said. Car is not an absolute necessity, but having one will make your life exceedingly easier. Med school is hard enough, and harder if you have to worry about making sure you catch the grocery store shuttle at the proper time and it eats up time you could use for studying/exercise/relaxing.

yea ill just add my similar opinion...I would highly, highly recommend having a decent reliable car if you come here. maybe look for like a solid, older, used Toyota Camry or Honda Civic, just your basic car that wont break the bank. M1 and M2 year wouldn't be as important and could be done pretty easily without a car, especially if you have friends to help out.

M3/M4 Could be done without a car I guess but it would honestly be straight up awful and a huge time suck to be relying on public transportation and stuff like that. It would make what many say to be the hardest year of med school even worse

Last edited:
ZomboMeme 15032021124130.jpg

• Haha
  • Care
Reactions: 26 users