2020-2021 Chicago Med at Rosalind Franklin

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did anyone else get an email from Zachary Rowe about the student ambassadors and virtual tours?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Did anyone else get an email from Zachary Rowe about the student ambassadors and virtual tours?
I did also. The email makes it seem like it’s for accepted students, but I haven’t been accepted yet. Is this ur situation too, and does this mean something?

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
+n to the pre-II R, LM 69, OOS, complete......sometime in August probably.

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
I just saw the email and I am on WL and I was so excited and I logged into my portal and saw no change and nearly threw up.

Reactions: 5 users
I emailed Zach about the email. If it was just poor wording then I am going to be so upset.

What does the email say? I just got the II about a week ago

Here's the part that is poorly worded (I italicized it below):

"Dear [First Name],

Welcome to the Chicago Medical School (CMS) at Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science (RFU). Due to the online format of interviews this year, we are excited to be offering two new ways to connect with our current students!

CMS Student Ambassador
CMS candidates that are accepted have the opportunity to be assigned a student ambassador. This will allow you to connect with a current CMS student who will be your mentor and provide support throughout the matriculation process."

Reactions: 1 users
Here's the part that is poorly worded (I italicized it below):

"Dear [First Name],

Welcome to the Chicago Medical School (CMS) at Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science (RFU). Due to the online format of interviews this year, we are excited to be offering two new ways to connect with our current students!

CMS Student Ambassador
CMS candidates that are accepted have the opportunity to be assigned a student ambassador. This will allow you to connect with a current CMS student who will be your mentor and provide support throughout the matriculation process."
I got an II completed the Vita late Oct but didn’t receive this email. Not rejected but not accepted, wondering what’s going on.

The CMS Student Ambassador assignments are only for accepted students. I'm assuming the the virtual tour and "ask me anything" panel are also only for accepted students?

Hot take- this may just be their way of organizing the mentor program/tours and determining how many people, either admitted or waitlisted, would potentially want to participate in this so they can then recruit an appropriate amount of mentors/add more tours if they need to. I definitely think it could have been worded with a little more care, but I have already lowered my expectations significantly in regards to schools making an effort to care about applicants. sigh.

Hot take- this may just be their way of organizing the mentor program/tours and determining how many people, either admitted or waitlisted, would potentially want to participate in this so they can then recruit an appropriate amount of mentors/add more tours if they need to. I definitely think it could have been worded with a little more care, but I have already lowered my expectations significantly in regards to schools making an effort to care about applicants. sigh.
So are you saying that you think the tours and ask me anything is available for waitlisted students?

So are you saying that you think the tours and ask me anything is available for waitlisted students?
I'm saying they could be just trying to gauge how many potential incoming students would be interested in doing the mentorship program (purely speculation). I think the tour is available to anyone though... I was able to sign up for both (only will be in the mentorship program if I'm accepted of course) and I am still on the alternate list. But the tours offered were in March, so it's likely just to get a sense of the school even if on the waitlist (there's obviously still a good chance we'll be accepted, and by that point they would like you to have a favorable view of the school so you will matriculate if given the chance). Those are my thoughts, and they could be totally wrong haha

Just withdrew my application. Hope the seat can go to one of you all!

Reactions: 5 users
I got an II completed the Vita late Oct but didn’t receive this email. Not rejected but not accepted, wondering what’s going on.

I'm on the alternate list and got the email. The uproar is that the email makes it sound like it's just for accepted students though several waitlisted students got it too without a change in admission status.

Not sure if anyone would know the answer to this, but did RFU ever give any reasoning as to why they're only using VITA and not actual interviews? I mean it's easier on our end for sure to only have to submit a VITA, but even if I was given an A after my VITA, it'd be difficult for me to prioritize RFU over schools that have real interviews/seem more involved in the admissions process. It just seems a little half-baked in my opinion to admit an entire medical class without formal interviews, but maybe I'm overthinking it. What do y'all think about it?

Not sure if anyone would know the answer to this, but did RFU ever give any reasoning as to why they're only using VITA and not actual interviews? I mean it's easier on our end for sure to only have to submit a VITA, but even if I was given an A after my VITA, it'd be difficult for me to prioritize RFU over schools that have real interviews/seem more involved in the admissions process. It just seems a little half-baked in my opinion to admit an entire medical class without formal interviews, but maybe I'm overthinking it. What do y'all think about it?

Saves money while not prioritizing applicants :)

Reactions: 4 users
This is actually why I withdrew. I later attended an “info” session given by an M1 who has barely spent time on campus due to COVID restrictions. An admin was logged into the session but didn’t even introduce themselves and their camera was off from start to finish. I couldn’t tell you if I liked the program or not (because I still don’t know enough about it) but I wasn’t impressed that the M2 in the session couldn’t answer my questions about the clinical years grading scale or if accommodations will be made for a step 2 dedicated period for our class since step 1 is p/f. I wouldn’t expect the student to know the ladder but an admin should have been there to answer questions. If they held virtual interviews like most other schools, my questions would have been answered.

Reactions: 6 users
I'm on the alternate list and got the email. The uproar is that the email makes it sound like it's just for accepted students though several waitlisted students got it too without a change in admission status.
Also crazy because they only sent it to some waitlisted students so its honestly just confusing as to their logic with most of these decisions regarding communication.

Also crazy because they only sent it to some waitlisted students so its honestly just confusing as to their logic with most of these decisions regarding communication.
I think they sent it to all waitlisted people.