2020-2021 CA University of Science and Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
The SDN police are going to come take you away for that last part
Sorry! I didn't know it would be a problem because SDN actually asks and posts them on their website. Didn't mean to cause any troubles :D

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-01-26 at 4.35.15 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-01-26 at 4.35.15 PM.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 135
Reactions: 1 user
Sorry! I didn't know it would be a problem because SDN actually asks and posts them on their website. Didn't mean to cause any troubles :D
Oh oopsies, maybe I’m just being too wary. It’s just that at a different interview they had us sign an NDA so I am just applying that same strict vibe to this school too. Thanks for understanding!

Reactions: 1 users
A current M1/M2 can probably get a little more specific than I can but here's somewhat of an answer.

Exams are both NBME and in-house with each being worth a different percentage of your overall grade for the block/system. Usually the in-house has been worth a little more than the NBME.

A lot of students live right next to the school in the surrounding neighborhoods, Redlands and Loma Linda. As far as finding roommates shooting a message in the CUSM general student group is probably the best idea. I think people usually drop invites to the page here on SDN a little closer to Spring/Summer for accepted students.
Yep, current M2 and the above is still valid. I'll just add that more students will probably shift to living a bit westward (Colton, Grand Terrace, Rancho Cucamonga) now that we have the new building right next to ARMC. Also a good number of my classmates live in Riverside/Chino/more toward Orange County and the beach (which is about an hour away from ARMC). The school usually sends out a list of ways to find housing.

• Love
Has anyone who interviewed on 1/15 heard back yet? I forgot to ask them how long they take for decisions........

Has anyone who interviewed on 1/15 heard back yet? I forgot to ask them how long they take for decisions........
I'm still waiting from 12/4 and someone earlier said they are still waiting from October so I'm not sure how they decide lol

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Also interviewed on 1/15, but I haven’t heard anything back :(
I just saw on their website that it says expect 3 or so weeks for decisions, so I guess we shouldn’t freak out yet!

Hi friends, after the stress of the interview faded I realized I never asked some important questions LOL. Does anyone know if the exams are NBME-based or in-house? What area do most students currently live in and what’s the best way to find roommates? :) Also just out of curiosity, is there gonna be a FB page or groupme for people later?
Current m2 here. This maybe subject to change but to answer your questions about exams.

The in house exam is worth 40% of the final grade for each block, and usually some questions are dropped or adjusted based on psychometrics of each questions (pretty much unfair/screwed questions are usually dropped which raises everyones grade for the most part)

The NBME exam is worth 20% of the final grade for each block and is curved to 80% with standard deviation of 5. Most of the time the class average is below 80% so the curve will mostly help those who did below average (those that do above average will see a slight drop [well that's curving'] but the curve is mostly used to help more students pass the course. (in the really rare case if the curve ends up hurting more people that helping then usually the school will keep the raw scores). so even if you did 2 standard deviations below average on the NBME you would get a 70% for this section which still secures you a good amount of % points towards the 70% threshold to pass the class (we have P/F system).

From what i've heard our school is thinking about doing a 1.5 years preclinical instead of 2 years but regardless I believe preclinical grades will not factor into class ranking.

• Love
been waiting for a while now, interviewed 11/6.

Reactions: 4 users
Waitlisted today post interview. Feeling pretty bummed honestly. How’s the waitlist movement here?

• Care
Just got the acceptance email!! Interviewed 1/8, IS applicant

• Love
got the A too! interviewed 1/8 IS. Waitlist movement is great here!

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Also waitlisted today. Interviewed 1/15. IS.

• Care
Got the acceptance earlier this afternoon! My only acceptance this cycle, so I'm absolutely ECSTATIC. Interviewed 1/15, IS

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
Any people still waiting since october interviews? I feel like I'm just going to get ghosted until the end...

Any people still waiting since october interviews? I feel like I'm just going to get ghosted until the end...
Not October but I've been waiting since the first week of December and I'm getting the same feeling

Got the acceptance earlier this afternoon! My only acceptance this cycle, so I'm absolutely ECSTATIC. Interviewed 1/15, IS
Congrats! I also got my acceptance last week. I am wondering if anyone else has signed their acceptance documents - I am worried because I'm waiting to hear back from other schools I interviewed at, and since this document says it's a "Binding contract" I'm worried that if I sign it and decide to go somewhere else, there will be big consequences? Also, if I sign saying I plan to enroll with CUSM while waiting to hear back from other schools, will those other schools somehow see that I've planned to enroll at a different school? This is separate from the AAMC Choose your medical school so I don't think so but I worry about these things. Obviously I'm going to sign at the end cause I'm going to medical school! Hooray! Also I apologize as I know people may be reading this thinking I'm holding up a spot that could be theirs, but I gotta do what I gotta do and until I hear back from other schools, this is where I'm at, sorry!

Current med student here, to those of you who have interviews coming up, make sure you know your app well. It's 1-on-1 and they'll ask the traditional questions (why medicine? why this school? etc.) and they'll ask about stuff on your app. Half of my interview was just talking about my research projects even though I don't like research that much lol. Good luck everyone!
Hi! Thanks for the fyi. I'm interviewing here in 2 weeks and it's my first (and only) interview for this cycle. I did research in the past, but it was mostly bench work. Didn't publish since I graduated before my PI published (~3 yrs later). Do you have any advice on how I should talk about my research experience? TIA

I guess this would depend on who your interviewer is, but mine was really chill and somewhat converstional. I think they just want to get to know more about you and your experiences and why you're a good fit for their school.
Just curious, did they tell you who you were interviewing with before hand. Heard that some med schools tell you in advanced. Thanks!

Just curious, did they tell you who you were interviewing with before hand. Heard that some med schools tell you in advanced. Thanks!
They didn’t officially tell me but they sent a one on one interview invite with me and my interviewer so I was able to find out the name and do some research on them. I think that was helpful honestly cus I could hear my questions in the interview better.

They didn’t officially tell me but they sent a one on one interview invite with me and my interviewer so I was able to find out the name and do some research on them. I think that was helpful honestly cus I could hear my questions in the interview better.
Awesome! Thanks for the info. Did they ask you a lot of questions about your application? My undergrad gpa is subpar, but did much better in my post bacc. Kinda worried they'll ask me about it. Same with my mcat (took it twice). How long was your interview?

Awesome! Thanks for the info. Did they ask you a lot of questions about your application? My undergrad gpa is subpar, but did much better in my post bacc. Kinda worried they'll ask me about it. Same with my mcat (took it twice). How long was your interview?
Yea it was super conversational in mine but they generally recognize the postbac gpa. they didn’t really ask about the undergrad gpa (mine was also lower with a higher postbac) but I addressed the reason pretty clearly in my application so I may not have had those questions cus I’d answered it already? Idk.
But my interview was around 45 min a little longer than most others cus me and my interviewer were both pretty chatty. But I think generally you can expect 35 min.
Pm me if you have more questions

Not October but I've been waiting since the first week of December and I'm getting the same feeling
I was part of the first group to interview back in October. I haven’t heard anything from them since then regarding their decision. I’ve asked if they accept update letters, letters of interest/intent and they do not. At this point I am assuming that no correspondence from them is a rejection. We will probably receive an official rejection email sometime in March/April

• Care
There are a ton of mock interview questions online. I'd recommend going through those to prepare! Besides that, know your application and essays and you'll do great. good luck!

Just withdrew my interview for 2/26. Hope it goes to someone here! Good luck everyone!

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
Anyone here considering the MBS program? I got an email about it and its been absolute radio silence with CUSM since completing my secondary for the MD program. This place is still my number one choice and I'd honestly be more than down to spend an extra year of time/tuition assuming there's a solid chance it can turn into an A.

Anyone here considering the MBS program? I got an email about it and its been absolute radio silence with CUSM since completing my secondary for the MD program. This place is still my number one choice and I'd honestly be more than down to spend an extra year of time/tuition assuming there's a solid chance it can turn into an A.
Do you know what the matriculation rate is?

I'm in the same boat as you. I'm considering the MBS program. Haven't heard anything from the school thus far. There's no interview for the MBS program. They will just review your application and determine if you are accepted or not.

Any idea why ghosting post interview is a thing? Are ghosted people just on an invisible wait-list and if so why not just put them on the wait list? Interviewed here a few months back and nothing back.