2020-2021 Arkansas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
R today.

OOS

Members don't see this ad.

does anyone know the chances of getting off the waitlist for an in state student? first time applying...

does anyone know the chances of getting off the waitlist for an in state student? first time applying...
Chances are good, comparatively. Consider rural health program. I have heard they usually pick from the WL with students expressing interest in joining rural health program. I would reach out and inquire, if interested.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know how many alternates are typically accepted from year to year that don't do the rural health program?

Does anyone know how many alternates are typically accepted from year to year that don't do the rural health program?
I think the office typically says 50-60 on the alternate list. Good luck.

Reactions: 1 user
Has anyone heard if they have started accepting people off the waitlist yet?
Trafficking deadlines for AAMC will impact waitlist movement. I wouldn’t expect anything until after April 15 at the earliest. It also depends if you signed up for the Rural Practice Scholarship since those awardees are prioritized.

Does anyone know when we have to have the FAFSA completed?
Looks like the priority deadline is May 15, but it's probably best to do it asap.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has there been any waitlist movement for those that are not apart of the rural medicine program?

I applied for the scholarships but haven’t heard back. Does that mean I wasn’t offered anything?

Question for current students: how often are TBLs in 1st year? Or just how often are we required to physically show up on a weekly basis?

Has anyone started looking for apartments yet? I'm wondering if it would be feasible to get a 1br with only the amount in the COA from the loans. There was supposed to be some information about housing posted in the Facebook group, but it seems pretty quiet recently.

Question for current students: how often are TBLs in 1st year? Or just how often are we required to physically show up on a weekly basis?
TBLS start in your Molecules to Cells class which starts in October, and after that they occur pretty sporadically but at least once a week. However, UAMS has been doing them all online this year. Your class may be different but last I heard they are trying to do a hybrid in-person/online with TBLS being online! Hopefully they will tell you all more soon!

When will we get instructions on sending transcripts and other docs? I assume they are waiting for the semester to end. I can see an accept/decline admission on my GUS account, but I haven't received any emails about doing anything through GUS yet (other than financial aid).

Has anyone heard any waitlist news after the April 30th commitment deadline?

does anyone know how many have gotten in off the waitlist so far? also how many have they usually accepted off the waitlist in past years?

does anyone know how many have gotten in off the waitlist so far? also how many have they usually accepted off the waitlist in past years?
I believe they have between 30-50 applicants on the waitlist. I assume most of the waitlist movement will happen after April 30, since thats when applicants with multiple acceptances need to commit to one. However, the bigger question is how quickly UAMS can identify and/or notify which applicants they are pulling off the waitlist. This also complicates things since applicants who are accepted into the rural program are given preference. Those who don’t opt for the rural practice program, like myself, may have to wait longer. The first AAMC trafficking deadline was on April 15th, but there wasn’t any waitlist movement until a few days leading up to the next deadline. My point is that the admissions committee seems to take their time. I assume this can either be strategic or a sign that they are unprepared.

I believe they have between 30-50 applicants on the waitlist. I assume most of the waitlist movement will happen after April 30, since thats when applicants with multiple acceptances need to commit to one. However, the bigger question is how quickly UAMS can identify and/or notify which applicants they are pulling off the waitlist. This also complicates things since applicants who are accepted into the rural program are given preference. Those who don’t opt for the rural practice program, like myself, may have to wait longer. The first AAMC trafficking deadline was on April 15th, but there wasn’t any waitlist movement until a few days leading up to the next deadline. My point is that the admissions committee seems to take their time. I assume this can either be strategic or a sign that they are unprepared.
Actually, those accepted into the Rural Practice would have already been notified. Placement on the alternate or wait list was already determined by the ADCOM in February. The list is not revisited or shuffled to rank again. Once a seat becomes available, Mr. South triggers the process for the next alternate on the list to be made the offer. This part of the process is run by the Office of Admissions since waitlist ranking has already been determined. There is absolutely no manipulation whatsoever in the process. The next deserving applicant is usually notified within 24 hours. The Admissions Office is very diligent and invested in making this process as painful as possible for the applicants still waiting to hear of their outcome. I hope this helps a bit in understanding the process.

Reactions: 1 users
Actually, those accepted into the Rural Practice would have already been notified. Placement on the alternate or wait list was already determined by the ADCOM in February. The list is not revisited or shuffled to rank again. Once a seat becomes available, Mr. South triggers the process for the next alternate on the list to be made the offer. This part of the process is run by the Office of Admissions since waitlist ranking has already been determined. There is absolutely no manipulation whatsoever in the process. The next deserving applicant is usually notified within 24 hours. The Admissions Office is very diligent and invested in making this process as painful as possible for the applicants still waiting to hear of their outcome. I hope this helps a bit in understanding the process.
Thank you, it does!

...duh...that should be as "painLESS"as possible...lol...but that was funny.