2019-2020 Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine (Harlem Campus)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just submitted! How long do they usually take to send the complete email and then the interview invite (if I can get one)? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Just submitted! How long do they usually take to send the complete email and then the interview invite (if I can get one)? Thanks!
I submitted on 8/9 and got the complete email on 8/12, no II yet though

Reactions: 1 user
I submitted on 8/9 and got the complete email on 8/12, no II yet though
Thanks! So it does take a bit for the complete. I have chosen the Middletown campus and I am Canadian, don't know if it makes any difference, but prolly harder to get an invite if anything lol

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you supposed to send separate thank you emails to both interviewers, even though it was a single interview?

For anybody that has recently gotten an interview, can you tell us about the interview format and the types of questions they might ask? I have my interview coming up next week and would really like some advice. I will give my timeline of my interview (I am a low stat applicant, so IDK how I even got an interview)

AACOMAS app submitted: Aug 1
Secondary invite: Aug 8
Complete email: Aug 9
Interview invite: Aug 28

Withdrew my II. Hopefully, it goes to someone here! Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
I interviewed here yesterday and can share my experience with those wondering or with upcoming interviews.

They split you into 2 groups and the first group interviews while the other takes a tour/watches presentation videos. The interview for me was a traditional 2:1 open file format. There were no curveballs questions, but you may get a good cop bad cop interview in which you should just relax and not crack under pressure. Definitely know your application well as they will ask you to elaborate on certain activities, grades, scores etc.

The rest of the day was very relaxed. I really appreciated how Touro went out of their way to make us feel comfortable and were very open about their strengths and shortcomings. They are fully aware about the appearance of the school that sdn infamously and mercilessly loves to bash them for but the interior is a complete 180 difference. It is a huge building with a decent sized library (most DO libraries are broom closets), spacious and new OMM and Anatomy labs, and study rooms. They are big on community involvement and have plenty of opportunities to give to Harlem such as through the health fair, student run clinic, mission trips. They have many plans to expand within the next 3-5 years with more opportunities for scholarships and establishing more clinics around the area. Clinical rotations are mostly outside Manhattan with most of them in Staten Island, Southhampton, Upstate, and one in NJ so you will likely have to move after 2 years.

The part that really impressed me the most was the great faculty. They introduced us to the the 3 Deans who spent an entire hour just to answer our questions about the school. Everyone from the admissions director, student ambassadors, to the security guards were extremely friendly and I did not get a shady vibe from any of them at all unlike some schools (lookin at you Lecom- B).

The location is one of the school's best selling points especially if you have a big city or bust attitude. Tourocom is in the heart of NYC and although the school is one building, Manhattan is essentially your campus. West 125th street is extremely gentrified and is in a very safe area as long as you are aware of you surroundings.

Overall, I was very impressed with the interview and could definitely see myself attending. They seemed to really have their ish together this year despite whatever may have happened in the past. They did not try to cover anything up and were very open about whatever questions you have.

Btw they give you some goood breakfast and lunch. Breakfast consisted of pastries, bagels, fruit and lunch was catered sushi and italian food for those that can't do sushi. Am I the only one that puts alot of weight on interview food?

Reactions: 8 users
I interviewed here yesterday and can share my experience with those wondering or with upcoming interviews.

They split you into 2 groups and the first group interviews while the other takes a tour/watches presentation videos. The interview for me was a traditional 2:1 open file format. There were no curveballs questions, but you may get a good cop bad cop interview in which you should just relax and not crack under pressure. Definitely know your application well as they will ask you to elaborate on certain activities, grades, scores etc.

The rest of the day was very relaxed. I really appreciated how Touro went out of their way to make us feel comfortable and were very open about their strengths and shortcomings. They are fully aware about the appearance of the school that sdn infamously and mercilessly loves to bash them for but the interior is a complete 180 difference. It is a huge building with a decent sized library (most DO libraries are broom closets), spacious and new OMM and Anatomy labs, and study rooms. They are big on community involvement and have plenty of opportunities to give to Harlem such as through the health fair, student run clinic, mission trips. They have many plans to expand within the next 3-5 years with more opportunities for scholarships and establishing more clinics around the area. Clinical rotations are mostly outside Manhattan with most of them in Staten Island, Southhampton, Upstate, and one in NJ so you will likely have to move after 2 years.

The part that really impressed me the most was the great faculty. They introduced us to the the 3 Deans who spent an entire hour just to answer our questions about the school. Everyone from the admissions director, student ambassadors, to the security guards were extremely friendly and I did not get a shady vibe from any of them at all unlike some schools (lookin at you Lecom- B).

The location is one of the school's best selling points especially if you have a big city or bust attitude. Tourocom is in the heart of NYC and although the school is one building, Manhattan is essentially your campus. West 125th street is extremely gentrified and is in a very safe area as long as you are aware of you surroundings.

Overall, I was very impressed with the interview and could definitely see myself attending. They seemed to really have their ish together this year despite whatever may have happened in the past. They did not try to cover anything up and were very open about whatever questions you have.

Btw they give you some goood breakfast and lunch. Breakfast consisted of pastries, bagels, fruit and lunch was catered sushi and italian food for those that can't do sushi. Am I the only one that puts alot of weight on interview food?

Thanks for responding Pstar9

Are the students who apply to Touro all Jewish?

Members don't see this ad :)
Is that a serious question?
Actually it is. I've never been there so I don't know if they consider applicants with other religious beliefs. I was looking at the school website and all the Jewish holidays were listed so I wondered if they would even look at my application or if they ask about my personal beliefs during the interview. I know that unlike LUCOM, we didn't have to talk about our personal faith and beliefs in the secondary application essay but I wasn't sure if they are open to applicants with different backgrounds.

Actually it is. I've never been there so I don't know if they consider applicants with other religious beliefs. I was looking at the school website and all the Jewish holidays were listed so I wondered if they would even look at my application or if they ask about my personal beliefs during the interview. I know that unlike LUCOM, we didn't have to talk about our personal faith and beliefs in the secondary application essay but I wasn't sure if they are open to applicants with different backgrounds.

Hand in the face emoji inserted

Thank you:) Do you remember what was the character/ word limit for the secondary essay?

It was just a one(ish) page essay. They give you a word doc and you can paste your essay in there. They take up a little less than a quarter of the page with the prompt, so beware of that!

It was just a one(ish) page essay. They give you a word doc and you can paste your essay in there. They take up a little less than a quarter of the page with the prompt, so beware of that!
Thank you for taking the time to answer my question.

Got my II! I am interviewing on Nov 25th. I am nervous and excited. Any tips? I saw some mention about "things happening in the past" and tried to find some information on it. Anyone care to elaborate? Is there something I should be concerned about with this school?

Thank you, and good luck to everyone who has applied!

Reactions: 2 users
I interviewed yesterday, so I can give you an idea on what to expect. Pstar9 was right on the ball about the whole interview day. I had a 2 on 1 open file interview where they asked me general questions like (tell me about yourself, why medicine and why osteopathic medicine, tell me about your most meaningful activity, etc). They also gave me a pseudo-ethics question in a way where they asked me "how would you handle a situation if a patient did not want to undergo a certain treatment/procedure)". But other than that, the whole day was very smooth and relaxing. The admissions office gives you a schedule in your folder, which we seemed to follow for the most part. The breakfast and lunch were the same as Pstar9 mentioned.

The only thing I have to disagree with Pstar9 is regarding the library size. I actually thought that the library looked small in comparison to other medical schools. The school itself does not give me a "campus" vibe if you were looking for that. I also did not know that the school was shared by the pharmacy students. Other than that and the bad vibe from SDN, I feel that the school has a lot to offer.

Hi guys, will submitting a secondary this week be worth it or will it be too late? And what is the difference between the Middletown and Harlem campus? 508 OOS. Thanks.

Hi guys, will submitting a secondary this week be worth it or will it be too late? And what is the difference between the Middletown and Harlem campus? 508 OOS. Thanks.
I think DO cycle runs longer, so submitting secondaries in October isn't late. From what I hear December-January is too late.

Sooo, any updates from anyone lol!! This thread has been quite silent

Has anyone submitted recently and not gotten a complete email? I submitted on 9/28 and received a submission email, but not a complete email. I appreciate any insight.

Has anyone submitted recently and not gotten a complete email? I submitted on 9/28 and received a submission email, but not a complete email. I appreciate any insight.
I submitted on 8/16 and received an email titled "Supplemental Application and Essay received" on 8/22. In the email, they said that "your application will now be considered for a personal interview by the Interview Committee at the campus indicated on your supplemental application". I assume that was the complete email, but I have not heard from them since.

I submitted somewhat recently too and have been waiting too. I'm just assuming it's because this the time of the High Holy Days are and they have several days off. The email I received listed their closed dates which include several in the last few weeks. They should be back to normal business hours beginning soon.

Accepted today. Very happy to be able to go to med school in the city I grew up in! Interviewed 9/25

Accepted today, interviewed 9/25. So amazing to be able to have an early acceptance at a fantastic school in the city I have grown to call home!

II after sending them an update letter yesterday will be this coming Monday, Oct 28

Rejected post II via email. Interviewed 10/2.

I haven't heard anything back from Touro...I wonder if they do silent rejections...not even a secondary invite :/

Did you check your spam?? I got a secondary instantly after verification (about 2 weeks ago).

Also, does anyone know about the average MCAT and GPA for Touro?

I’m wondering what’s going on as well. Really want to live in NYC, I’ve been complete here since 9/5

I would suggest calling them tomorrow. It seems not many are even active on this particular thread, so it has me questioning if they even send bulk amount of secondaries like other schools do. Many threads have like 7-11 pages on sdn filled with comments, but this one doesn't. So I am highly confused LOL

I’m wondering what’s going on as well. Really want to live in NYC, I’ve been complete here since 9/5

Oh I see!! Do you mind sharing your stats/EC's. You can DM me if you want (if you dont mind sharing that is). I know they send interviews, but I'm not sure how many they may be sending, doesn't seem like they send a lot...

Oh I see!! Do you mind sharing your stats/EC's. You can DM me if you want (if you dont mind sharing that is). I know they send interviews, but I'm not sure how many they may be sending, doesn't seem like they send a lot...

517, 3.74

I think they started reviewing applications around Aug 20. Also October had a lot of holidays so they weren't open, which may have contributed to the inactivity.

Are u instate?

Nope not instate or even in the area, but I think I wrote one hell of an essay! I would really like to live in NYC or even driving distance for family/relationship reasons, so I'm hoping either this school or NYIT/NYMC give me a shot

Nope not instate or even in the area, but I think I wrote one hell of an essay! I would really like to live in NYC or even driving distance for family/relationship reasons, so I'm hoping either this school or NYIT/NYMC give me a shot
Did you hear anything from NYITCOM?

When I asked a current student, they told me the MCAT average was a 508. However, when I called around June, I spoke to the administration staff and they said the MCAT average was 503.
I saw the stats somewhere 3.5 and 512 MCAT.......

They really want to see underserved and primary care experiences as well idk if you have those, but honestly, I interviewed in both NYITCOM and Touro NY. I would choose NYITCOM over Touro for sure even though it is kinda rural

Yes I saw 512 as well somewhere online, which is why I called administration staff to confirm. They told me it was 503 when I called sometime in June, feel free to recall to see if it has changed or I was lied to

I've seen 505 everywhere.

Just called, was told the average is a 506.