2019-2020 SUNY - Downstate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Was anyone able to put in labs for the prerequisite courses section?

Members don't see this ad.

So I'm worried because I submitted four letters of recommendation before reading that they requested no more than two. It does say that if you send more than two it will delay processing, but is this going to be a major problem? It's silly that if there's 4 in a packet they're fine, but four individuals are too much. I'd hate that to be the deciding factor..

Reactions: 1 user
Was anyone able to put in labs for the prerequisite courses section?
It doesn't appear as though there is a place for them at first, but if you drag your lab course to the lecture section, it'll automatically make a new lab section and pop it in there. It's a strange tool.

Members don't see this ad :)
Around when do they start sending out interviews historically?

If you have a specific reason why you wish to attend SUNY Downstate or a medical school in New York City, please explain.

did you guys talk about one reason or turn it into a why this school essay?

So I'm worried because I submitted four letters of recommendation before reading that they requested no more than two. It does say that if you send more than two it will delay processing, but is this going to be a major problem? It's silly that if there's 4 in a packet they're fine, but four individuals are too much. I'd hate that to be the deciding factor..

I phoned them and they said they take up to 10 so I sent 7 lol

For the "If you have a specific reason why you wish to attend SUNY Downstate or a medical school in New York City, please explain." secondary, did you keep the word count down to 150 or did you go over? I didn't see a word limit but i know in past years it's been 15 words

For the "If you have a specific reason why you wish to attend SUNY Downstate or a medical school in New York City, please explain." secondary, did you keep the word count down to 150 or did you go over? I didn't see a word limit but i know in past years it's been 15 words
I went a little over since it didn't have a word count like the other essays

I went a little over since it didn't have a word count like the other essays

Lol i wrote like 200-220 words, figured if theyre not gunna limit me ill get it all on there for them to see.

Submitted 7/25, marked complete 7/30

Last edited:
Verified 7/18/19
Secondary received 7/19/19
Secondary submitted 7/31/19

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know to what degree of detail we should go into for the "Please describe your activities for the period of September 15 to July 1" question?

Should we be listing out our responsibilities in our jobs/volunteering or just write that we'll be working/volunteering at X and Y?

Any insight would be helpful!
You only have 150 words. I had two main activities I mentioned, and I really only had enough room to give a blurb of what I was doing and why I was doing it, along with 1-2 sentences of reflection.

You only have 150 words. I had two main activities I mentioned, and I really only had enough room to give a blurb of what I was doing and why I was doing it, along with 1-2 sentences of reflection.
Amazing, thank you!

I will say that it does not have a world limit listed for that passage. Unless I am missing it.

Also, is anyone here from a quarter system school? I can't fit all three of my classes within their individual spots. Does anyone have a solution to this? I am planning on calling tomorrow morning and will update if I get an answer!

Amazing, thank you!

I will say that it does not have a world limit listed for that passage. Unless I am missing it.
Well **** me, I thought it was 150 words. Oh well, I hope they appreciate the brevity of my response lol. I think I summed everything up quite nicely, and I'm honestly not a fan of fluffing up responses to this type of prompt anyways.

Also, is anyone here from a quarter system school? I can't fit all three of my classes within their individual spots. Does anyone have a solution to this? I am planning on calling tomorrow morning and will update if I get an answer!
I am! I actually called them when I first received my secondary. Just match two classes that fit each prerequisite and they'll manually go through and match the rest on their end. The guy I spoke to over the phone made that suggestion, and he made it seem like it was a common thing.

I am! I actually called them when I first received my secondary. Just match two classes that fit each prerequisite and they'll manually go through and match the rest on their end. The guy I spoke to over the phone made that suggestion, and he made it seem like it was a common thing.

Ahh you are amazing! I mean it must be a common issue because not all schools are semester based...

I also agree with you about the fluff--it just seems unnecessary.

Ahh you are amazing! I mean it must be a common issue because not all schools are semester based...

I also agree with you about the fluff--it just seems unnecessary.
Ugh, I had the same issue with MCW. Lady I spoke to gave pretty much the same answer, saying that the adcom would be able to immediately tell I was on the quarter system and match my courses on their end. Although, she did say that it was a "glitch" in the system they plan on "fixing" for next year's cycle lmao.

Secondary Submitted 7/31/19
Complete 8/1/19

Ugh, I had the same issue with MCW. Lady I spoke to gave pretty much the same answer, saying that the adcom would be able to immediately tell I was on the quarter system and match my courses on their end. Although, she did say that it was a "glitch" in the system they plan on "fixing" for next year's cycle lmao.
Yeah the guy I spoke with today mentioned the same thing, but he also just said to write-in the courses that I couldn't add in the box at the bottom of that section. Even though that box was meant for classes that are in progress or to be taken in the future.

Yep, same with me, at least we aren't alone. I'm going to email if it stays that way after a day or two.

Were you able to find out if there was an issue on their system? I also just noticed I have my LOR and MCAT marked incomplete even though they've received it

Were you able to find out if there was an issue on their system? I also just noticed I have my LOR and MCAT marked incomplete even though they've received it

I got an email the following day saying I was complete, so I never contacted them

Last year interviews came out today I think so I was expecting something :/

Reactions: 1 users
Last year interviews came out today I think so I was expecting something :/

I've been refreshing my email/portal/this thread all day! all fingers and toes are crossed for downstate! Best of luck :)

Reactions: 3 users
hey! would you guys think its too late to submit an application here? for reference: 3.86 (3.8 sgpa) // 516 // have a social justice focus on my app?

hey! would you guys think its too late to submit an application here? for reference: 3.86 (3.8 sgpa) // 516 // have a social justice focus on my app?
No interviews have come out yet, so why not?

A top choice school for me. Lets get it

How long does it take for MCAT scores and letters to be marked as received after the secondary has been submitted? It's been a while since I submitted and it hasn't been received yet so I'm starting to worry. :oops:

Mine got updated the next day, but im not sure how long it usually takes

tfw getting ghosted by all three SUNYs

Your stats getting them shook. It's like when there's a super hot person youre too intimidated too approach. The SUNY's are just fanning their faces and blushing. Maybe the 4th SUNY can pull through with that quick II and show all the others whose boss.

• Haha
Your stats getting them shook. It's like when there's a super hot person youre too intimidated too approach. The SUNY's are just fanning their faces and blushing. Maybe the 4th SUNY can pull through with that quick II and show all the others whose boss.

This is why I spent significant time on my secondaries for schools where my stats were way above their medians. You need to convince them that you will go if you get in.

Anyone know if this school is receptive to in the area requests?

II! LM 80 or something, Complete within a couple hours of receiving secondary(Around July 3 or so).

II, Monday-Thursday dates available
complete second week July

Anyone else having trouble choosing an interview date? I already submitted my dietary preferences

II, IS, LizzyM 68, Complete 7/8, dates were only on Wednesdays for me so it must be person-specific.