2019-2020 SUNY - Downstate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
Received an II today. In-State Student. App was complete 9/4.
Interview scheduled for 11/18

To people applying later than "normal", there is still hope. STILL SUBMIT YOUR APPLICATIONS ANYWAY.

Reactions: 1 users

To people applying later than "normal", there is still hope. STILL SUBMIT YOUR APPLICATIONS ANYWAY.
ESPECIALLY since they’re not sending any decisions until February. Might as well shoot your shot while you can.

Reactions: 1 user
ESPECIALLY since they’re not sending any decisions until February. Might as well shoot your shot while you can.

wait what? lol i applied to this school and didn't know this.

are decisions not rolling?

wait what? lol i applied to this school and didn't know this.

are decisions not rolling?
When I talked to someone at my interview the other day they said that it’s a “modified rolling admissions schedule” and that the first round of decisions will be in February, rolling after that until May? Something along those lines. Not everything on the website is appropriately updated though, some brochures say rolling and others mention mid-February.

Any idea when they reject people. Kinda sad I haven't heard back yet as an IS applicant. Do I lose hope?

Last edited:
Any idea when they reject people. Kinda sad I haven't heard back yet as an IS applicant. Do I lose hope?
I applied and was completed on 7/11. In state as well. I'm losing hope

Does SUNY Downstate accept update letters? I have a manuscript that was recently accepted and published in a mid-impact journal. I'm a little confused, because the "Application Complete" email they send to us says to not submit additional documents unless requested, yet they have the typical update letter tab in the portal. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad :)

Would you be willing to share stats?

Did anyone reach out to admissions about staying overnight in the residence hall, or has already stayed there for their interview? I just had a few questions before I set that up!

Anyone else get an email requesting more information about my US clinical activites... what this mean?

Has anyone received an interview since Sept 4th? Do they typically take long breaks in the waves of interviews they send out?

This was my first II, received today 9/16. IS, complete 9/12. Interviewing 10/15.

Reactions: 6 users
I am pretty impressed with how quickly peer interviews are going this year! Just had my interview last week and I have been contacted by a student already.

Peer interviews ? Is the interview format one faculty and a student ?

The official interview is with faculty, but they also have a peer interview. Downstate has students contact you after the regular interview for a video chat or phone call. I saw from previous years that some people had to wait a long time before their peer interview, so I was pleasantly surprised.

Anyone who recently got an II, what dates are available? Anyone complete early July? I know they review apps in a non-chronological order but this wait is ridiculous.

Reactions: 2 users
Anyone who recently got an II, what dates are available? Anyone complete early July? I know they review apps in a non-chronological order but this wait is ridiculous.

iirc, i saw a post on here that someone submitted early august and they didn't review them until january or something

I'm also a mid July complete with nothing haha.

Anyone interview here? What’s the interview day like? Just wondering how I should schedule transportation to return home. I’m scheduled for a morning interview.

II today! earliest date I saw was 1/21. Did anyone else who got an II today see any earlier dates?

Reactions: 5 users
i do share your frustration, just look at my app already downstate

I mean, at this point, idk if it is even worth it. Complete in July and nothing from them so far. They release their decision in Feb and seeing that interviews are well into January already, what is the point of getting an interview. I'd say we'd be competing for mostly waitlist spots imo

I mean, at this point, idk if it is even worth it. Complete in July and nothing from them so far. They release their decision in Feb and seeing that interviews are well into January already, what is the point of getting an interview. I'd say we'd be competing for mostly waitlist spots imo

thats true :/ , damn they sure did fill up quick

Not true, it’s just a delayed rolling admissions structure. They talked about it a little bit at the interview. The FIRST acceptances go out Valentine’s Day, not all of them. Further acceptances will be sent out periodically after that.

they also give interviews out later on to early time slots. For example if you look at last years thread, people hearing back much later in the cycle had november and december interviews. This probably happens once ppl start withdrawing October 15th.

Interviewed on 9/3
Peer-peer conversation on 9/23

Both were incredibly chill. Seems like an awesome institution with amazing people. I heard that they won't make decisions until February, though. Can anyone confirm/deny?

I remember being in your position so I know that advice like this doesn’t make you feel any better, but don’t give up hope in September! I was complete in July, got an II in February, was placed on the alt list, saw many waves of people accepted off of it before me, and finally came off the alt list well after the commit to enroll deadline, close to June. I also had “higher” stats so I remember thinking that they must have looked at my app and would have invited me if they were interested. Hang in there guys! I know things change year to year and that last year was weird for various reasons, but DS does see a lot of waitlist/alt list “movement” compared to others.

Interviewed on 9/3
Peer-peer conversation on 9/23

Both were incredibly chill.

Hey congrats! Just wondering... do I need to do anything for the peer-peer conversation pre interview? Like set anything up??

Hey congrats! Just wondering... do I need to do anything for the peer-peer conversation pre interview? Like set anything up??
The student will email you with some available times a few days before they’re ready.

Nope! The student will email you a few weeks after your interview to set up a time to speak.

where are people hearing that they will announce acceptances in february? is it from the interview day?

also does anyone know whether downstate provides any merit aid to accepted students? ty!