2019-2020 Rocky Vista University College of Osteopathic Medicine (RVUCOM-Colorado)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Do any current students know if research is pretty hard to do? or just not that emphasized?

Members don't see this ad.

You are close to Denver and a lot of hospitals so there are research opportunities. There are also research opportunities through the tracks

Reactions: 1 user
Hello to all considering attending RVU-Colorado, and congratulations to everyone who has accepted their offer of admission!

If you've familiarized yourself with Rocky Vista you've probably heard of the Tracks offered on either campus. If not, Tracks are supplemental opportunities to the regular curriculum which you can use to pursue specific interests in the world of medicine. In 2020, both campuses added a Digital Health track, pioneering the way for RVU to become first in the nation to give its students the opportunity to be on the forefront of this field. Opportunities like this are exactly what I looked for when I was applying to medical schools, and I am thrilled to feel as supported as I have been in my interest in Digital Health through administration, the course directors, and my fellow Digital Health Tribe.

Check out this video that was just released, share it, and feel proud to call RVU home.

Have questions? Ask away!

Luke
OMS-I
RVU-CO

Members don't see this ad :)
Do any current students know if research is pretty hard to do? or just not that emphasized?
There are absolutely opportunities for research! You can pursue something independently of the Tracks, or use the Tracks to find opportunities, or even apply to a Track specifically for academic medicine (Colorado campus only). Here's a link to the Tracks offered on both campuses.

There are absolutely opportunities for research! You can pursue something independently of the Tracks, or use the Tracks to find opportunities, or even apply to a Track specifically for academic medicine (Colorado campus only). Here's a link to the Tracks offered on both campuses.
Thanks, just thinking bc with the USMLE Pass/Fail, i think research will play a bigger part now

Does anyone know how the APS status works with AACOM traffic guidelines? If we don't know which class we will enter prior to May 15th do we risk losing other acceptances if we hang on to this one, even though the acceptance may not be for this years entering class?

Does anyone know how the APS status works with AACOM traffic guidelines? If we don't know which class we will enter prior to May 15th do we risk losing other acceptances if we hang on to this one, even though the acceptance may not be for this years entering class?
have you paid deposits for the schools you are interested in?

You do not risk losing other acceptances. Your position on the APS list is not reported to AACOMAS as an acceptance until you are offered a seat in the current year class.

Does anyone know when the wait list movement for this school usually starts?

Hey all! Attending Utah campus this July.
Question for current students. I’m in the market for a new laptop. Any reason BESIDES personal preference or pricing to pick between Windows and Apple at RVU? Any software issues with course material or anything? Thx!

Does anyone have any info on the anatomy fellowship? I have a few acceptances but I'm really interested in the anatomy fellowship at rvucom. I think learning more about it might make my decision a little easier. Thanks!

Can any current/former students comment on how much OMM is emphasized here? We won’t have an OMM rotation, will we? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Can any current/former students comment on how much OMM is emphasized here? We won’t have an OMM rotation, will we? Thanks!
No required OMM rotation. Heavy OMM curriculum during pre-clinicals which is why I think we do so well on COMLEX.

Does anyone have any info on the anatomy fellowship? I have a few acceptances but I'm really interested in the anatomy fellowship at rvucom. I think learning more about it might make my decision a little easier. Thanks!
What would you like to know?

Is anyone going to second look day on March 27th? This is open to students APS right? It said on the post card received during interview day that more information was TBD but I haven't received anything in the mail

When is the deadline for financial aid? Still have not done it yet.

Thank you! What's the OMM schedule like? T/Th 3 hour labs?
Not sure if it has changed but I believe it was like once a week 2 hour labs, nothing crazy. OMM is a semester long course that has lectures sprinkled in.

Timeline, structure, advantages/disadvantages?
It adds an extra year, but I believe you get a year without paying tuition. 3rd-5th year are spaced between rotations and teaching. It’s great if you plan on doing something that’s anatomy heavy, but I think a disadvantage is a year of lost attending salary without giving an application boost. It wasn’t worth it for me going into IM though.
Edit: I checked the application pdf and it said tuition is waived for years 3-5 (pretty significant).

Not sure if it has changed but I believe it was like once a week 2 hour labs, nothing crazy. OMM is a semester long course that has lectures sprinkled in.

Thank you for being so helpful! I appreciate it!

Do any current students have any more insight about the Accepted Pending Space status? RVU is my top choice, but at the same time, I am getting anxious about the possibility of having to wait an extra year before starting medical school. What are our actual chances of matriculating this year, and if so, when do you guys think we will find out? Thanks in advance :D

Reactions: 1 users
Just got accepted to my #1 and withdrew my A. Hope someone else’s day was made and they got a call! Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 3 users
Hello to all considering attending RVU-Colorado, and congratulations to everyone who has accepted their offer of admission!

If you've familiarized yourself with Rocky Vista you've probably heard of the Tracks offered on either campus. If not, Tracks are supplemental opportunities to the regular curriculum which you can use to pursue specific interests in the world of medicine. In 2020, both campuses added a Digital Health track, pioneering the way for RVU to become first in the nation to give its students the opportunity to be on the forefront of this field. Opportunities like this are exactly what I looked for when I was applying to medical schools, and I am thrilled to feel as supported as I have been in my interest in Digital Health through administration, the course directors, and my fellow Digital Health Tribe.

Check out this video that was just released, share it, and feel proud to call RVU home.

Have questions? Ask away!

Luke
OMS-I
RVU-CO

I have heard that RVU let’s people with families have priority on rotation sites. Is that true?

I have heard that RVU let’s people with families have priority on rotation sites. Is that true?

Also interested in knowing this. I hope so! I really don't want to spend so much money moving to CO and then get sent off to NM or WY and uproot my family again only 2 years later.

Also interested in knowing this. I hope so! I really don't want to spend so much money moving to CO and then get sent off to NM or WY and uproot my family again only 2 years later.
That’s my biggest fear and what I’m struggling with. I got into wvsom and lmu but had to decline since there are basically no jobs in my wife’s field. Do you have kids?

That’s my biggest fear and what I’m struggling with. I got into wvsom and lmu but had to decline since there are basically no jobs in my wife’s field. Do you have kids?

I have three kids. And my wife is a teacher. She'll take a drastic pay cut of about $20,000/yr (along with difficulties even transferring her teaching credential) from CA to CO. So it's going to be pretty brutal. What's your wife's field?

• Sad
I have three kids. And my wife is a teacher. She'll take a drastic pay cut of about $20,000/yr (along with difficulties even transferring her teaching credential) from CA to CO. So it's going to be pretty brutal. What's your wife's field?
Sucks sorry to hear that. Mines an occupational therapist. I spoke with a current student on here and RVU does not give any priority to families. However, I am told you should get one of your top two rotation choices.

Sucks sorry to hear that. Mines an occupational therapist. I spoke with a current student on here and RVU does not give any priority to families. However, I am told you should get one of your top two rotation choices.

Oh man. That's scary. :/

Hey guys im hoping someone can answer this, but i doubt it. At this point should i assume that if im on the waitlist im not getting in? Im super stressed because ive. been on the waitlist since november and i feel like thats a really really long time ot be on there. I sent in a letter of intent, but i feel like they are just prolonging my rejection. Any insight?

Hey guys im hoping someone can answer this, but i doubt it. At this point should i assume that if im on the waitlist im not getting in? Im super stressed because ive. been on the waitlist since november and i feel like thats a really really long time ot be on there. I sent in a letter of intent, but i feel like they are just prolonging my rejection. Any insight?
I don't think you have anything to worry about right now. Most medical schools don't start pulling people from the waitlist until May. They have not yet started pulling people off their APS list here yet, its still very early for waitlist and APS list right now!

You don’t need to get the stuff before school starts, but they should have a day where you order a bunch of it. MSK is the first class now, so you may need scrubs early on? Just get them from walmart, you’re gonna burn them when anatomy is over.
The first block is no longer cardiovascular? its MSK?

Unless they changed it again, but I may be wrong. When I started it was biochem -> immunology -> MSK, but I believe for the class after us they started doing MSK first.

Does anyone know when the school distributes our loan money to us? Trying to figure out my budget for the move/first month of school.

Does anyone know when the school distributes our loan money to us? Trying to figure out my budget for the move/first month of school.

I read somewhere that it is usually 1-2 weeks after the start of the semester. I was at an interview somewhere else yesterday and they stressed that refunds are not disbursed before the start of the term. I imagine it's the same at RVU.

So my postbacc was on a trimester system and I just got an email from RVU (mind you I've paid $1000 of my deposit) that my Ochem classes don't count as the 8 credits listed on my transcript, but only as 6.67 credits since it is a trimester system... WTF. They are now saying I will lose my acceptance if I don't take another ochem class, even though I took both semesters! Anyone run into this problem? Any success appealing? I can't take any more classes because I have exhausted my undergrad financial aid eligibility.

So my postbacc was on a trimester system and I just got an email from RVU (mind you I've paid $1000 of my deposit) that my Ochem classes don't count as the 8 credits listed on my transcript, but only as 6.67 credits since it is a trimester system... WTF. They are now saying I will lose my acceptance if I don't take another ochem class, even though I took both semesters! Anyone run into this problem? Any success appealing? I can't take any more classes because I have exhausted my undergrad financial aid eligibility.

Awe man I'm sorry to hear that. That sucks that they're just now telling you. There's no time left to take a class, is there? School starts in like 3.5 months. I had to take biochemistry at my undergraduate institution without financial aid as well and it was $2.5k for the one class. I put half of it on a credit card, unfortunately. If you can do that and this is your only acceptance, that may be all you can do. :/

I don't know about that but they say that most people get their 1st or 2nd choice. There are probably 2 rotations sites you could do without moving
MSK>Biochem>Immunology
Unfortunately a week or two after the semester starts

I would talk to them about it. It might be a AACOMAS thing and not so much a problem on their end. I would find your course catalog to send it to them

I have the same issue at another school. University of Wisconsin online has online Orgo classes without labs. It is around $800 or so. Cheapest I have found.

I have the same issue at another school. University of Wisconsin online has online Orgo classes without labs. It is around $800 or so. Cheapest I have found.

Western Texas college does also

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

I contacted financial aid and they said that they will send us our financial aid awards approximately 30 days before school starts

I contacted financial aid and they said that they will send us our financial aid awards approximately 30 days before school starts

I just e-mailed Student Financial Services and this is what they told me:

"
Hello Retro.viridae,

Loans will be disbursed during your first week of classes. Any funds left over after tuition and fees have been paid will be refunded to you within 14 days from the date of disbursement. I wouldn’t expect to receive those funds until the beginning to middle of August.

At this point, there isn’t anything else you need to do for Financial Aid. We are currently reviewing FAFSA’s and will let you know if we require additional documentation. Your MPN’s and Entrance Counseling will need to be completed prior to your matriculation, but I suggest waiting until June to complete that. We will notify you of any other requirements.

Let me know if you have any other questions."

Does anyone know if this year's residency match list is publicly available?

I just e-mailed Student Financial Services and this is what they told me:

"
Hello Retro.viridae,

Loans will be disbursed during your first week of classes. Any funds left over after tuition and fees have been paid will be refunded to you within 14 days from the date of disbursement. I wouldn’t expect to receive those funds until the beginning to middle of August.

At this point, there isn’t anything else you need to do for Financial Aid. We are currently reviewing FAFSA’s and will let you know if we require additional documentation. Your MPN’s and Entrance Counseling will need to be completed prior to your matriculation, but I suggest waiting until June to complete that. We will notify you of any other requirements.

Let me know if you have any other questions."
so what if we need the loan money to purchase a laptop? are we suppose to just wait?

you get the award which is how much money you will get. You don't get your refund until 1-2 weeks after school starts
so what if we need the loan money to purchase a laptop? are we suppose to just wait?
Credit cards or as SFS calls it, planning accordingly

Yeah, I think you'll have to put it on a CC and then pay it off once you get your loan money. Get a 6/12 month no interest credit card if you do that, though!

Personally, I have to pay for a move from CA for my family of 5 (at least $4000), then the first month and security deposit at a new place in CO, so I understand the pain of not getting that money ahead of time.

Question for accepted students. The prerequisite coursework on the rvucom website says that you need 12 credits of general biology. My undergrad institution only provides 10 credits. Would that be an issue. Any of accepted students have less than 12 biology credits?