2019-2020 Midwestern University, with campuses in (Glendale, Arizona) AZCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
what is the interview type like for this school? is it MMI, traditional, or a combination? My interview is may 12th so its going to be online

Members don't see this ad.

what is the interview type like for this school? is it MMI, traditional, or a combination? My interview is may 12th so its going to be online
Traditional, very relaxed interview, don't worry

Hi! Good luck on your interview! Just curious, when did you submit your application?

Members don't see this ad :)
How long does it take for a decision to come through? If accepted, does the "accepted student checklist" pop out the day after interview?
I received an accepted email 3 weeks after my interview but have friends who heard back within a couple days.

For any current students, how often do you have to wear dress clothes? Like once a week, every other week, etc..?

The HOME project is awesome (though it’s been going through some changes this past year). Currently there are two shelters (Central Arizona Shelter Services - CASS which is an adults shelter and Vista Colina which is a family shelter). The HOME students are multidisciplinary from programs across campus including dental, psych, OT, PT, etc and have a weekly clinic at each location free to clients. We also have a fairly well stocked pharmacy. Student teams see the patients. Each clinic has at least one PA or Physician preceptor who the student teams present the patients to. Then they determine treatment. They are working on opening another clinic at another shelter focusing on preventative health services. Students used to go only on a volunteer basis but now there is a requirement for some programs to go.

As for the multi-specialty clinic, the school is developing new electives all the time that give you exposure over there during M1&2 but currently exposure is not part of the main curriculum.

School-life balance: depending on what type of learner you are, most classes are recorded and not mandatory attendance so you can handle your schedule however you need to.

The exam schedule: honestly, it’s obviously not super enjoyable but you get used to it. It keeps you very on top of the material which is a plus. I also liked that it meant your grade was not based on just one or two exams each quarter because frankly it’s not uncommon to be off your game for an exam. (The fact that there is still grade is another discussion but doesn’t seem to be going away anytime soon.) it’s worth mentioning though that this years class (2023) is the first class to benefit from lecture hours being reduced by 17% — we will see how that changes things.

The desert: it’s hot. People say it’s a dry heat, but so is your oven and you wouldn’t want to live in there. Lol just kidding (mostly). Honestly, depending on the climate that you are used to, in the summer it’s just going from AC to AC. Not any different from going from heater to heater if you are used to snow. You can live anywhere for two years. After that, you can do rotations in AZ, CA or IL.
Could you please tell us more about the One Health initiative? Is it simply a course that osteopathic students can take as an elective?

Could you please tell us more about the One Health initiative? Is it simply a course that osteopathic students can take as an elective?
One Health is more like a holistic principle that MWU uses to make students aware of how the health of humans is connected to and affects the health of animals and the environment. It also emphasizes interdisciplinary work between health and science professions which makes sense considering that the school offers so many programs. Idk how it’s incorporated into the osteopathic curriculum so a current student can answer that better than me but when I was in the masters program, professors would sometimes mention a One Health objective or make a connection to the lecture, that was about it though.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
One Health is more like a holistic principle that MWU uses to make students aware of how the health of humans is connected to and affects the health of animals and the environment. It also emphasizes interdisciplinary work between health and science professions which makes sense considering that the school offers so many programs. Idk how it’s incorporated into the osteopathic curriculum so a current student can answer that better than me but when I was in the masters program, professors would sometimes mention a One Health objective or make a connection to the lecture, that was about it though.
Great, thank you for letting me know.

Those of you who had multiple acceptances but still chose AZCOM, could you please share with us why you made that decision? Those who visited the campus in person, could you also tell me about your experience? How did you find the school environment? Where the current students happy? Some of us are doing the interviews online so it's hard to make an informed decision. Thank you!

Those of you who had multiple acceptances but still chose AZCOM, could you please share with us why you made that decision? Those who visited the campus in person, could you also tell me about your experience? How did you find the school environment? Where the current students happy? Some of us are doing the interviews online so it's hard to make an informed decision. Thank you!
Staying in AZ was important to me. The campus has a more collegiate feel than some small DO schools. They also have a decent amount of research going on campus vs. other DO schools, especially vs other one in Arizona.
The match list is pretty good as well.

I’m also an AZ resident and I mainly chose MWU over my other acceptances to stay close to family as well. Having that support and also being able to live at home for clinical years made the tuition difference from other schools worth it to me. The campus is really nice! It’s huge and always busy with students from all different programs. I’ve had friends go through the DO school here, and while there are plenty of things to gripe about (tuition, testing frequency, A/B/C grading, bigger class size, etc.) they have a good rep in AZ and prepare you to do well on boards. They have research and volunteer opportunities available more so than a lot of other DO schools I interviewed at and that was important for me too. Hope some of this helped and let me know if there is anything else I can answer for you! Good luck in making your decision!!

Staying in AZ was important to me. The campus has a more collegiate feel than some small DO schools. They also have a decent amount of research going on campus vs. other DO schools, especially vs other one in Arizona.
The match list is pretty good as well.
I’m also an AZ resident and I mainly chose MWU over my other acceptances to stay close to family as well. Having that support and also being able to live at home for clinical years made the tuition difference from other schools worth it to me. The campus is really nice! It’s huge and always busy with students from all different programs. I’ve had friends go through the DO school here, and while there are plenty of things to gripe about (tuition, testing frequency, A/B/C grading, bigger class size, etc.) they have a good rep in AZ and prepare you to do well on boards. They have research and volunteer opportunities available more so than a lot of other DO schools I interviewed at and that was important for me too. Hope some of this helped and let me know if there is anything else I can answer for you! Good luck in making your decision!!

Thank you so much guys. I truly appreciate your taking the time to answer my questions. I'm an international applicant, and have never been to Arizona. My interview was supposed to be in person but it was cancelled and then re-scheduled to a virtual format due to the covid-19 outbreak. How is life in Arizona/Glendale? Do you know if the curriculum is organ based? During your interview, did you talk to current students in person? Did they think that AZCOM provides a supportive learning environment? Once again, thank you for your time.

Thank you so much guys. I truly appreciate your taking the time to answer my questions. I'm an international applicant, and have never been to Arizona. My interview was supposed to be in person but it was cancelled and then re-scheduled to a virtual format due to the covid-19 outbreak. How is life in Arizona/Glendale? Do you know if the curriculum is organ based? During your interview, did you talk to current students in person? Did they think that AZCOM provides a supportive learning environment? Once again, thank you for your time.

I don’t recall too much about the curriculum, but we did get to speak to some students. Overall it seems collaborative but at the same time isolated groups of students a do their own thing. It’s a big class so I wouldn’t expect to know everyone by name and have a trusting relationship with everyone.
Most of Glendale is a ghetto, except the north part where the school is located. It’s still boring unless you drive around. Apartments and houses in the area are actually very nice (and priced fittingly). Phoenix is huge but not a very exciting metropolitan. We do have sports teams (go Suns, even though we stink ) and a huge party school in Arizona State University (technically in Tempe but close enough). Scottsdale is the fancy part of Phoenix (Paradise Valley is where celebrities live) as well as all the fancy restaurants. If you have a car, exploring isn’t difficult.
A lot of Arizonans drive to San Diego for a weekend getaway by the beach (5 hour drive). Vegas is also 6 hours I think. You won’t go every weekend in med school but they’re awesome vacation destinations within driving distance . I feel like I’m just ranting but if you have specific questions about the city DM me.

Members don't see this ad :)
The curriculum is traditional, subject based and with such a big class there are a lot of smaller groups that just happen naturally. I don’t know where you are coming from internationally, but the heat here in Arizona is no joke haha! Everywhere has AC and you will be inside studying most of the times so no big deal there. Lots of good food, nice places to live. The area directly around the campus is nice- other parts of Glendale are a little sketchy. I have a few friends who just finished their first year here and they say that their class is very supportive and collaborative. Obviously with so many people in each class there will always be your typical cut-throat gunners, but for the most part it’s a good environment from what I hear.
Have you already had your online interview? And if I may ask, are you already accepted at other schools as well?

I don’t recall too much about the curriculum, but we did get to speak to some students. Overall it seems collaborative but at the same time isolated groups of students a do their own thing. It’s a big class so I wouldn’t expect to know everyone by name and have a trusting relationship with everyone.
Most of Glendale is a ghetto, except the north part where the school is located. It’s still boring unless you drive around. Apartments and houses in the area are actually very nice (and priced fittingly). Phoenix is huge but not a very exciting metropolitan. We do have sports teams (go Suns, even though we stink ) and a huge party school in Arizona State University (technically in Tempe but close enough). Scottsdale is the fancy part of Phoenix (Paradise Valley is where celebrities live) as well as all the fancy restaurants. If you have a car, exploring isn’t difficult.
A lot of Arizonans drive to San Diego for a weekend getaway by the beach (5 hour drive). Vegas is also 6 hours I think. You won’t go every weekend in med school but they’re awesome vacation destinations within driving distance . I feel like I’m just ranting but if you have specific questions about the city DM me.
This was great! Thank you so much!

The curriculum is traditional, subject based and with such a big class there are a lot of smaller groups that just happen naturally. I don’t know where you are coming from internationally, but the heat here in Arizona is no joke haha! Everywhere has AC and you will be inside studying most of the times so no big deal there. Lots of good food, nice places to live. The area directly around the campus is nice- other parts of Glendale are a little sketchy. I have a few friends who just finished their first year here and they say that their class is very supportive and collaborative. Obviously with so many people in each class there will always be your typical cut-throat gunners, but for the most part it’s a good environment from what I hear.
Have you already had your online interview? And if I may ask, are you already accepted at other schools as well?
Just sent you a DM :)

Sure, the One Health initiative is just basically the overarching ideal that the healthcare team is interprofessional. So because we have so many other professional schools on campus, we meet in interprofessional groups once (or twice?) a quarter to discuss cases. It's a required class.

Are people hearing back from May interviews?

• Hmm
does anyone know if the school still accepting students or are they interviewing for the waitlist?

Does anyone know the school-specific policies that AZCOM has regarding multiple acceptances after May 15?

Just a quick question for anyone who has interviewed: is the dean's panel and/or student panel mandatory? I have my interview online in the morning but I also have to work and a grad ceremony to watch. Please let me know!
I think you should treat it as if the interview was in person. So do you think you could go late and miss the dean's panel and then leave early and miss the student's panel?
That being said, if there is no way you can join those two panels, email admissions office and see if attending those two sessions is mandatory.

Reactions: 1 users
I don’t think anyone who interviewed early May will hear back till after May 15th when interviews wrap up. That way admissions can go over everyone at once and not meet 3,000 times. These are the last interviews of the cycle.

Just my thoughts.

For accepted students. Does anyone know where to send your final transcripts to?

I thought they get them from AACOMAS?
They don’t accept the transcript from AACOMAS because for some people it’s not a complete transcript. You have to send in another copy, unfortunately.

Do you just send it to the admission's email?
I’m sorry, I thought I replied! I’m not sure about how your transcript request process works but for mine, I entered the mailing address for the school and addressed it to AZCOM Admissions. If it’s a digital transcript then yes, you would send it to the admissions email.

I never sent in a transcript to AZCOM. So even though I have a green check mark next to my transcript row on my accepted checklist, I still have to send in another one?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

I never sent in a transcript to AZCOM. So even though I have a green check mark next to my transcript row on my accepted checklist, I still have to send in another one?

I believe all accepted students have to resend final transcripts but you may want to check with admissions.

I just reread the acceptance letter and if I’m understanding correctly, MWU takes the transcripts from AACOMAS. But say if you needed a prereq and recently took it, then you would need to send an updated transcript to the school.

I just reread the acceptance letter and if I’m understanding correctly, MWU takes the transcripts from AACOMAS. But say if you needed a prereq and recently took it, then you would need to send an updated transcript to the school.

I haven’t been enrolled in classes in over a year and still had to submit my transcripts separately to Midwestern. The exact same ones I sent to AACOMAS last year when I applied. Hopefully this helps!

That’s what I remembered reading so I was confused. No change in my transcript since AACOMAS submission. I’ll just email and ask to make sure.

That’s what I remembered reading so I was confused. No change in my transcript since AACOMAS submission. I’ll just email and ask to make sure.

Yeah I’m confused too haha. Let me know what they say if you don’t mind!

Yeah I’m confused too haha. Let me know what they say if you don’t mind!
Same situation, let me know too please. I believe we are fine as long as aacomas transcripts reflects current transcripts.

Could a current student comment on how many weeks do students have to study for board exams? Also, do M3 and M4 take any class or do anything with OMM? If so, how's the time commitment for them?

Last edited:
How can you be so confident?
They told me on my interview that we’d hear working two weeks of my date (aka this Wednesday). My brother interviewed last Friday and was told he’d be hearing in a week

Is everyone joining the video conference today? Is it mandatory?

Is everyone joining the video conference today? Is it mandatory?
I'm trying to join it but it says it hasn't started yet? Isn't it 3pm right now in Arizona?

Edit: I guess it's still 2pm there. I always thought they were an hour ahead of PST?