2019-2020 Midwestern University, with campuses in (Glendale, Arizona) AZCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Im a current MS1 at AZCOM. I absolutely use an ipad pro for note taking. In fact I cannot imagine med school without it. I use notability. In terms of textbooks, I don't really use them. However, I do have First Aid and a few of the BRS books saved on my ipad.

Pros: Note take is so much more efficient when you can do it on the pdfs of the slides. Also, ipad doesn't take up much space and is relatively light.

Cons: I cant really think of any
Also, I back-up all of my notes to my google drive. 256 gb should be good

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Do we know if we are still starting school this august or does anyone know if start date will be pushed due to virus?

Do we know if we are still starting school this august or does anyone know if start date will be pushed due to virus?
I’m a current azcom student. According to our emails from the midwestern President, she’s planning on keeping Orientation and start dates as published. I think the programs that start soon (like PA) will be hosting online orientation and classes for the summer so they aren’t falling behind schedule. We haven’t been told anything regarding the Fall yet but I’d imagine they’d do the same for azcom 2024 if this persists into July and August.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I’m a current azcom student. According to our emails from the midwestern President, she’s planning on keeping Orientation and start dates as published. I think the programs that start soon (like PA) will be hosting online orientation and classes for the summer so they aren’t falling behind schedule. We haven’t been told anything regarding the Fall yet but I’d imagine they’d do the same for azcom 2024 if this persists into July and August.
Thanks for the info, I really appreciate it!! :)

Any current students have access to the 2020 match list?

I apologize if this has already been provided on this thread, but are there any current students who can post a schedule of what a typical MS1 week looks like in terms of required lectures/labs (pre-COVID lol)? Also if possible, an overview of a block since I wanted to get a better sense of how frequent the testing schedule is at AZCOM. And if there are any MS1s/MS2s I can reach out to directly to ask more specific questions, that would be super helpful!

Does anyone know if it’s a good/bad idea to live 10-20 mins from campus (25 mins with traffic)? The place is 20 miles from campus. I’m from CA so that seems normal to me but idk if that would be a big turn-off as a med student. Also it’s a 2BR with rent of $1050 and some utilities paid for. Is that price worth it?

Just withdrew my A here, hopefully it goes to one of you still waiting to hear back. Best of luck!

Does anyone know if it’s a good/bad idea to live 10-20 mins from campus (25 mins with traffic)? The place is 20 miles from campus. I’m from CA so that seems normal to me but idk if that would be a big turn-off as a med student. Also it’s a 2BR with rent of $1050 and some utilities paid for. Is that price worth it?

I would say living 20 miles away from campus is a bit far. Depending on which area in the valley you're looking out, you could be setting yourself up for a sizable commute. There are some affordable living options (similar in price to the one you mentioned) closer to campus. It really depends on your circumstance (like if you are going to live close to a S.O.'s work or something). Feel free to PM me with any questions!

I just got an II for this school! I’ve already accepted at Touro NV but I was wondering which school has a better overall appeal/ranking/reputation?

I just got an II for this school! I’ve already accepted at Touro NV but I was wondering which school has a better overall appeal/ranking/reputation?

Congrats! Were you previously on the II waitlist? What dates were available still for Interview?

Another question for current or former students. I am going to purchase an ipad pro. Was wondering if anyone uses this as their primary note taking source, and to store their books on. What are your pros and cons using this device? Also I am going with the 256 gb, is this adequate space or should I bump up to the 512 gb?

DO IT. It was the best purchase I made prior to starting at MWU. I prefer GoodNotes, but will occasionally use Notability for is audio recording functions. It keeps everything well organized and essentially (not entirely) replaces a laptop. Would HIGHLY recommend.

Has anyone that’s been waitlisted for acceptance heard anything?

Members don't see this ad :)

I've been wait listed for acceptance too, haven't heard anything yet. They said the latest they would tell us is a week before classes start...let me know if you hear anything.

For anyone who was moved to an online interview in May, have you been able to schedule it on the portal yet?

Anyone get off the Pre-II waitlist for an interview? I know we're at the tail end of the cycle but I've been on pre-II waitlist since late July without any further communication

According to aacomas traffic guidelines, they start reporting to schools the names of people who are holding multiple acceptances on May 15th and then schools can start rescinding offers. Based off of the guidelines and looking at last cycles thread I believe the waitlist will start moving around that time. Good luck!

According to aacomas traffic guidelines, they start reporting to schools the names of people who are holding multiple acceptances on May 15th and then schools can start rescinding offers. Based off of the guidelines and looking at last cycles thread I believe the waitlist will start moving around that time. Good luck!
literally did not know about this until i saw your comment. been holding 2 A's after putting deposits and have been pondering about which to attend. Thank god I came across your comment in time!

literally did not know about this until i saw your comment. been holding 2 A's after putting deposits and have been pondering about which to attend. Thank god I came across your comment in time!
Congrats on your A’s! Here’s the website for the full information. Basically if you’ve paid multiple deposits or are holding more than one seat then after May 15th they’ll give you a 15 day notice to make your decision. If you haven’t responded after that then they can withdraw your offer.

Edit: Just want to add that this applies to acceptances only. For example it does not apply if you have one acceptance but are also on the waitlist for other schools.

Last edited:
Anyone get off the Pre-II waitlist for an interview? I know we're at the tail end of the cycle but I've been on pre-II waitlist since late July without any further communication
Have you sent them an update letter or LOI?

Waitlisted in December. Just got an interview, but will likely be declining.

Does anyone happen to have AZCOM's 2020 Match List?

Has anyone been assigned a time slot for their online interview yet?

Hi! My application was completed on April 21st which I know is pretty late (I didn’t know about the program before :(). Do they send out secondaries to everyone? How long after sending the app should we expect secondaries? Thank you!

Hello everyone! I withdrew my acceptance a couple of weeks ago and figured I post this here. I did a little research on the schools 990 (a public document for nonprofits) and saw that their president or CEO makes almost 2.2 million a year. The next highest-paid person, their COO, makes approximately 1.1 million a year.

Might explain where our tuition is going. Something to think about as the exorbitant cost was what made me withdraw.

Reactions: 5 users
Hi! My application was completed on April 21st which I know is pretty late (I didn’t know about the program before :(). Do they send out secondaries to everyone? How long after sending the app should we expect secondaries? Thank you!
I think their last interview date is May 15th.

Any current students have recommendations for study apps or materials. Just looking at some programs and wondering if I should purchase any of them. I am thinking of buying sketchy medical soon. Any other recommendations?

Any current students have recommendations for study apps or materials. Just looking at some programs and wondering if I should purchase any of them. I am thinking of buying sketchy medical soon. Any other recommendations?

I remember during the interview day, the second year students basically said don't buy any books. You will find what works best for you. Most of them said they tried Anki and only two of the four kept it going I think.

Don't buy anything. The exams are verbatim from the slides and nit picky about random bullet points you just have to memorize. If you want to go on a spending spree, buy an iPad and spend some time looking at apps. The BRS books are great for practice questions and concise descriptions if you don't understand the slides or the lecturer. You can get them on amazon used for roughly $15 and you're really only taking anatomy and biochem to start.

Don't buy anything. The exams are verbatim from the slides and nit picky about random bullet points you just have to memorize. If you want to go on a spending spree, buy an iPad and spend some time looking at apps. The BRS books are great for practice questions and concise descriptions if you don't understand the slides or the lecturer. You can get them on amazon used for roughly $15 and you're really only taking anatomy and biochem to start.
Does the school provide students with Sketchy, UWORLD, or any other resources?

How is the online interview held? Is it like a full interview day through a web interface or is it just the panel interview for 30 minutes or so?

Last edited by a moderator:
We have until May 15th to only hold one acceptance correct? Getting a little confused since April 30th deadline is for AAMC but seems like May 15th is ACOMAS. Also, we dont have to "choose our school" through AACOMAS right?

We have until May 15th to only hold one acceptance correct? Getting a little confused since April 30th deadline is for AAMC but seems like May 15th is ACOMAS. Also, we dont have to "choose our school" through AACOMAS right?
wait, what happens if we're on a WL for a school? i didn't realize we had a date to commit

Yes, May 15th is the “deadline” for DO schools to hold one acceptance. After May 15th, schools will be able to see if you’re holding multiple acceptances and they have the right to withdraw your seat but you will also be given a 15 day notice. Basically they’re just going to put some pressure for you to only hold one acceptance. There’s no immediate action taken. And I don’t think there’s a “commit to enroll” on AACOMAS like on AMCAS.

wait, what happens if we're on a WL for a school? i didn't realize we had a date to commit
If you have one acceptance but are on WLs for other schools then there isn’t any further action needed by you. If you don’t have any acceptances and are only on WLs then this also does not apply to you. The only thing is that when you get pulled off a waitlist after May 15th, you don’t have as long to decide if you want to commit to that school. It just becomes a courtesy to drop seats in a timely manner to keep the WL moving if you’ve already got the acceptance you want.

How is the online interview held? Is it like a full interview day through a web interface or is it just the panel interview for 30 minutes or so?
Okay. There is a dean's panel, my interview, and then a student panel. Each is an hour long

Last edited:
How long does it take for a decision to come through? If accepted, does the "accepted student checklist" pop out the day after interview?

How long does it take for a decision to come through? If accepted, does the "accepted student checklist" pop out the day after interview?

definitely not day after. Took 2 weeks when I interviewed in Feb.

I interviewed in November and received an acceptance email five days later.

Somebody in this thread said the day after interview, they could access they "accepted student checklist" on the interview/secondary portal, before they sent out the acceptance email.

Somebody in this thread said the day after interview, they could access they "accepted student checklist" on the interview/secondary portal, before they sent out the acceptance email.
It seems to vary. At the in person interview they said it would take 2 weeks maximum to hear a decision directly from admissions either by phone, email, or postal mail but you’re right in that most people have known their status prior to an official decision based on portal changes. Some people saw their portal change a few days after their interview and for others it took a couple of weeks.

A few people within 2 business days of interview

Withdrew my acceptance. Hope it goes to one of you guys!