2019-2020 Midwestern University, with campuses in (Glendale, Arizona) AZCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
How do we log into our midwestern email?
Sign into the Midwestern portal and click on the Office 365 link to get to Outlook. Your Midwestern email address was probably mentioned in one of the emails following your acceptance!

Reactions: 1 user
Sign into the Midwestern portal and click on the Office 365 link to get to Outlook. Your Midwestern email address was probably mentioned in one of the emails following your acceptance!
I’m assuming we have to pay the deposit first to see it, right? I haven’t paid mine yet so I don’t see an office 365 link

Im pretty sure i heard that most clincial rotations are in arizona, california, and chicago. If i want to go to cali for rotations, how likely is that?

Im pretty sure i heard that most clincial rotations are in arizona, california, and chicago. If i want to go to cali for rotations, how likely is that?
First come first serve. I heard people tend to trade them away later as they don't have the best reputation of quality.

Also, join FB page, someone posted a list recently.

anyone on the pre-II waitlist get an II lately? I’ve been held since late july

anyone on the pre-II waitlist get an II lately? I’ve been held since late july

I was placed on the Pre-II waitlist in October and I received an II in February. Interviewed February 25th, then placed on the post-II alternate list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I hope the Canada-US border doesn't close since I will have to cross that border to get to my interview. The price of a direct flight has plummeted, though.

Reactions: 1 users
Have they closed down AZCOM campus in Glendale?

Interview cancelled through April 30th! Rescheduling spots for almost everyday from early - mid May

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Interview cancelled through April 30th! Rescheduling spots for almost everyday from early - mid May
Praying and sending positive thoughts to those impacted by cancellations and hoping that you will not get too stressed about it. Goodluck to those waiting to interview/need to reschedule!

Can someone post the link to the latest match results? Can't seem to find it

Reactions: 2 users
Can someone post the link to the latest match results? Can't seem to find it
Follow this thread. It may take time for students to upload the results because I don’t think AZCOM makes their match results public. Have some patience and don’t let the neuroticism from the thread overcome you.

Last edited:
Follow this thread. It may take time for students to upload the results because I don’t think AZCOM makes their match results public. Have some patience and don’t let neuroticism overcome you.
Thanks for sharing this thread!

Does anyone know if this school has a dress code (i.e. business casual)? Thanks!

does anybody know if there is a dress code for OMM lab and if we can get accommodations for it?

Does anyone know if this school has a dress code (i.e. business casual)? Thanks!
does anybody know if there is a dress code for OMM lab and if we can get accommodations for it?

No dress code for day to day lectures. Obviously in cadaver lab we just have to wear pants (no shorts), closed toe shoes and hair up. For activities where we act like physicians, only on thursdays, we are required to wear business casual and usually our white coats but that’s only like 3 hours/week. In OMM we have to wear Sports bra and leggings or shorts. I’m not sure what kinda of accommodations there are and I think it would depend on your reason. If it’s just modesty or shyness, they expect you to still participate and that often means allowing your partner to palpate your back or stomach.

No dress code for day to day lectures. Obviously in cadaver lab we just have to wear pants (no shorts), closed toe shoes and hair up. For activities where we act like physicians, only on thursdays, we are required to wear business casual and usually our white coats but that’s only like 3 hours/week. In OMM we have to wear Sports bra and leggings or shorts. I’m not sure what kinda of accommodations there are and I think it would depend on your reason. If it’s just modesty or shyness, they expect you to still participate and that often means allowing your partner to palpate your back or stomach.
Thanks for the response! I only ask because I have some religious reasons for needing to cover up and cannot wear leggings/shorts & a sports bra

Hi all !
Is there a Facebook page for accepted students yet ?

Thanks for the response! I only ask because I have some religious reasons for needing to cover up and cannot wear leggings/shorts & a sports bra
During my interview at another school, they specially asked me if I was ok with the dress code during the OMM classes, and the fact that we'll be working in groups and we need to learn the art of palpation. I understand your concerns as I'm coming from a somewhat religious family. I also met some individuals during my interview who were religious.
I said I was ok with it for several reasons. We're going to DO schools, meaning that we'll be taking OMM classes which basically teaches us all the hands-on examination techniques. For us to learn those techniques, we need to work in groups. When my friends volunteer to help me learn a technique by allowing me to examine their body, I will have to volunteer as well so that they also learn the concept.
The second thing to keep in mind is the white coat ceremony. At the very beginning, we all take the Hippocratic Oath, meaning that we become professionals (students doctors). Those who will be in the classroom, aren't just friends. They are also student doctors who took the oath at the same time as you.
These are just my personal viewpoints that made me to be more comfortable with the idea. Having said that, you can always talk to admissions committee and see if they can suggest an alternative.

During my interview at another school, they specially asked me if I was ok with the dress code during the OMM classes, and the fact that we'll be working in groups and we need to learn the art of palpation. I understand your concerns as I'm coming from a somewhat religious family. I also met some individuals during my interview who were religious.
I said I was ok with it for several reasons. We're going to DO schools, meaning that we'll be taking OMM classes which basically teaches us all the hands-on examination techniques. For us to learn those techniques, we need to work in groups. When my friends volunteer to help me learn a technique by allowing me to examine their body, I will have to volunteer as well so that they also learn the concept.
The second thing to keep in mind is the white coat ceremony. At the very beginning, we all take the Hippocratic Oath, meaning that we become professionals (students doctors). Those who will be in the classroom, aren't just friends. They are also student doctors who took the oath at the same time as you.
These are just my personal viewpoints that made me to be more comfortable with the idea. Having said that, you can always talk to admissions committee and see if they can suggest an alternative.
Thank you for writing this! I appreciate you taking the time to reply :) throughout the interview trail, I typically would ask about OMM dress code (I forgot to here) because I know some schools are different in what they require and being a Muslim woman observing hijab, I cannot adhere to wearing leggings/shorts + sports bra for obvious reasons which is why I wanted to know if there's a specific department I should reach out to about it. The other school I have been accepted to had an outline on how to request accommodations which had to be done prior to matriculating, so I thought I'd ask since I hadn't see anything about it on the AZCOM site besides requesting accommodations for possible disabilities

Thanks for the response :)

Are on-campus interviews in May still realistic and happening? Even the thought of getting through a connecting airport panics me.

Apparently AZCOM is calling on their MS4s to work in their local Phoenix hospitals during this crisis. Link to the reddit post from anon student. Someone else also shared the email from Dr. G in the comments. What are your thoughts on this?

Any third or fourth years on this thread I could PM a couple questions? Thanks!

Apparently AZCOM is calling on their MS4s to work in their local Phoenix hospitals during this crisis. Link to the reddit post from anon student. Someone else also shared the email from Dr. G in the comments. What are your thoughts on this?
Hospital volume in phoenix and I assume throughout AZ is low. I doubt there is any actual action for med students.

Hospital volume in phoenix and I assume throughout AZ is low. I doubt there is any actual action for med students.
Yeah I found the whole thing to be strange and it was a rollercoaster with all of the updates. They have now made it an optional rotation for students though. Glendale has confirmed one case of COVID-19 on their campus according to their website.

Has anyone received their housing assignment yet?
Yup, I do see my student housing assignment.
For any current students, are there any major differences in the student apartment buildings ? Are there three floors per building ?

Yup, I do see my student housing assignment.
For any current students, are there any major differences in the student apartment buildings ? Are there three floors per building ?
When did you apply? I just got denied in email :(

Got my first choice in apartment. Applied basically in December.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

When did you apply? I just got denied in email :(

Aww ! Well, good news is that there is a lot of affordable housing close by campus. :)
I applied right when they opened the housing application, in mid Dec

Can anyone living off campus give some recommendations? I am looking to keep the drive no more than 10-12 minutes away. It will be me and my girlfriend and we are trying to stay around $1300 a month for base rent for a 2 bedroom.

Can anyone living off campus give some recommendations? I am looking to keep the drive no more than 10-12 minutes away. It will be me and my girlfriend and we are trying to stay around $1300 a month for base rent for a 2 bedroom.
The interview packet included a list of apartment complexes in the area. It tells you approximately how far they are from campus and also indicates which ones give student discounts.

The interview packet included a list of apartment complexes in the area. It tells you approximately how far they are from campus and also indicates which ones give student discounts.
Yes I have that and have been looking at them. I am more now asking about personal experience with apartments in the area.

No. They do face-to-face interviews until May 15th which can be booked on the portal, with an invitation.

How likely is the face to face given all the shelters in place everywhere through the month of April? I haven't heard many II being given out recently, so just wondering if they have all been booked out, transitioning to virtual, or being canceled altogether?

How likely is the face to face given all the shelters in place everywhere through the month of April? I haven't heard many II being given out recently, so just wondering if they have all been booked out, transitioning to virtual, or being canceled altogether?
They have not been booked out. May 7th and May 11-15th are all available. They are not transitioned to virtual yet.

If you mean something along the lines of wearing long sleeves/sweatpants instead, several of my classmates did that without issue.

Any third or fourth years on this thread I could PM a couple questions? Thanks!
Third year here, shoot me a message. I'm not super great about checking this but will do my best

I lived in Paseo Park on Thunderbird Rd (~10 min drive) in a one bedroom for ~$900/mo with no complaints

Another question for current or former students. I am going to purchase an ipad pro. Was wondering if anyone uses this as their primary note taking source, and to store their books on. What are your pros and cons using this device? Also I am going with the 256 gb, is this adequate space or should I bump up to the 512 gb?

Who do people recommend getting rotations in east phoenix instead of west?

The May interviews have been switched online.

Another question for current or former students. I am going to purchase an ipad pro. Was wondering if anyone uses this as their primary note taking source, and to store their books on. What are your pros and cons using this device? Also I am going with the 256 gb, is this adequate space or should I bump up to the 512 gb?
Im a current MS1 at AZCOM. I absolutely use an ipad pro for note taking. In fact I cannot imagine med school without it. I use notability. In terms of textbooks, I don't really use them. However, I do have First Aid and a few of the BRS books saved on my ipad.

Pros: Note take is so much more efficient when you can do it on the pdfs of the slides. Also, ipad doesn't take up much space and is relatively light.

Cons: I cant really think of any