This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
OOS rejected, but not gonna lie the $100,000 OOS tuition was not looking like fun.

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
LM 72, in state applicant, just took the R. **** me for graduating a year early I don’t have a good feeling about this lol

• Sad
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The big R today

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user
Sent for preliminary review on July 25th, and still no word...

Jeez... Eight MMI stations that are eight minutes each that include role playing with a standardized actor... can someone tell MSU to chill out

Can any past interviewees/current students comment on the length/harshness of this MMI? Especially in relation to other school's MMIs

Are there any current students on this thread who might be willing to answer questions?

Current 3rd year here, questions?

Jappa - MMI was pretty chill. Be yourself and try to have fun with it. Part of the purpose of MMI's is to get a handle on how you would naturally interact with a patient in real life. An actor can better pull that out of you over an interviewer. In the end, these are not about being right, just showing that you can do some critical thinking on the spot. Theres that big list of MMI questions that was useful.

Last edited:

Jappa - MMI was pretty chill. Be yourself and try to have fun with it. Part of the purpose of MMI's is to get a handle on how you would naturally interact with a patient in real life. An actor can better pull that out of you over an interviewer. In the end, these are not about being right, just showing that you can do some critical thinking on the spot. Theres that big list of MMI questions that was useful.
Awesome thanks! I was particularly wondering about the differences between campuses. There's stuff on the website about like a few of the different institutions on the GR and EL campus, but I was curious about the satellite campuses as well.

Jeez... Eight MMI stations that are eight minutes each that include role playing with a standardized actor... can someone tell MSU to chill out

Can any past interviewees/current students comment on the length/harshness of this MMI? Especially in relation to other school's MMIs
I had an MMI at another schools that was this exact same set up. The acting station was kind of awkward as no matter what you say the actor will persist and be difficult - just stay calm and do your best to try and offer solutions. Overall though, I sort of enjoyed the MMI experience. Plus since you interview with 8 different people, you can afford to have 1 or 2 stations that don't go to great.

Awesome thanks! I was particularly wondering about the differences between campuses. There's stuff on the website about like a few of the different institutions on the GR and EL campus, but I was curious about the satellite campuses as well.

All students will end up in either GR or EL for your first two years. Once you're accepted, there will be a lottery later in the spring to determine where you end up. Preferences are only given for married couples as far as I'm aware.

As for the differences it varies from year to year, but more or less EL becomes a bit more close/family-ish and GR is a bit more cut-throat and competative. As for which is better, thats also hard to say. I was in EL. EL is a college town with all the bennefits of that, but also the negatives if you've grown out of that stage of your life. Everyone grows a little closer because most stay in the same couple appartment complexes close to school. The school site there is definitely not as nice as GR. You're in the basement of the radiology building - its been rennovated and is nice, but its still the basement. It's not Secchia. Pretty garden though. I rarely every liked to study at school, so this wasn't a big deal to me. GR is, as mentioned, super nice. Brand new building and GR is great as a city - lots to do. But its busy, it's bustling, its crowded - have fun finding affordable housing and parking. You can also tell GR is definitely the administration HQ, EL can become kind of an afterthought.

The satalite campuses are only important for year 3 and 4. Theres GR, EL, Southfield, Flint, Midland/Bay City, Traverse City, and Marquette. If you want the traditional year 3 and 4 academic center hospital with residents et al, you'll end up in EL or GR. Southfield is a community hospital and most of the folks from Detroit and the metro go there. Flint is the primarily the site for certificates in public health and Leadership in the underserved. If you know anything about Flint as of late, you may have heard of Dr. Mona - she is faculty there, and you will likely rotate with her on Peds. Midland, TC, and Marquette are the Rural health programs - they go by different names in the site info (LRM vs RCHP), but they're all the same internally - we do the same things. Only difference is if you're south of the bridge, you won't get the wilderness medicine elective. Whats also interesting in these progams is you are "based" at the main campus, but you're predominantly at a rural satelite campus for much of your time. For example TC has Ludington, Charlevoix/Boyne City, Grayling, and Alpena. Many folks interested in competative fields try for these sites (theres an application process) because the students generally have the best match stats for any of the campuses. It's you and the attending for almost the entire time of your rotations - there are no residents except for Fam Med in TC when you're there. The other campuses downstate are your traditional med student, resident, attending structure.

I hope that answers your question - lmk if I missed anything

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
All students will end up in either GR or EL for your first two years. Once you're accepted, there will be a lottery later in the spring to determine where you end up. Preferences are only given for married couples as far as I'm aware.

As for the differences it varies from year to year, but more or less EL becomes a bit more close/family-ish and GR is a bit more cut-throat and competative. As for which is better, thats also hard to say. I was in EL. EL is a college town with all the bennefits of that, but also the negatives if you've grown out of that stage of your life. Everyone grows a little closer because most stay in the same couple appartment complexes close to school. The school site there is definitely not as nice as GR. You're in the basement of the radiology building - its been rennovated and is nice, but its still the basement. It's not Secchia. Pretty garden though. I rarely every liked to study at school, so this wasn't a big deal to me. GR is, as mentioned, super nice. Brand new building and GR is great as a city - lots to do. But its busy, it's bustling, its crowded - have fun finding affordable housing and parking. You can also tell GR is definitely the administration HQ, EL can become kind of an afterthought.

The satalite campuses are only important for year 3 and 4. Theres GR, EL, Southfield, Flint, Midland/Bay City, Traverse City, and Marquette. If you want the traditional year 3 and 4 academic center hospital with residents et al, you'll end up in EL or GR. Southfield is a community hospital and most of the folks from Detroit and the metro go there. Flint is the primarily the site for certificates in public health and Leadership in the underserved. If you know anything about Flint as of late, you may have heard of Dr. Mona - she is faculty there, and you will likely rotate with her on Peds. Midland, TC, and Marquette are the Rural health programs - they go by different names in the site info (LRM vs RCHP), but they're all the same internally - we do the same things. Only difference is if you're south of the bridge, you won't get the wilderness medicine elective. Whats also interesting in these progams is you are "based" at the main campus, but you're predominantly at a rural satelite campus for much of your time. For example TC has Ludington, Charlevoix/Boyne City, Grayling, and Alpena. Many folks interested in competative fields try for these sites (theres an application process) because the students generally have the best match stats for any of the campuses. It's you and the attending for almost the entire time of your rotations - there are no residents except for Fam Med in TC when you're there. The other campuses are your traditional med student, resident, attending structure.

I hope that answers your question - lmk if I missed anything
Does the limited exposure to patients since it’s a rural hospital with less beds hinder competitive applicants though since they may not see as many cases as those medical students that are placed in more populated places?

Does the limited exposure to patients since it’s a rural hospital with less beds hinder competitive applicants though since they may not see as many cases as those medical students that are placed in more populated places?

Good question - this was a concern of mine too. While it might seem like small hospitals have limited access to patients, this is absolutely not the case. Munson is a ~450 bed large community hospital with patients out the nose. This is also apparent as Petoskey is adding another 100 beds to their already 200 - they need the space. These community hospitals offer all the bread and butter you need to see. As a future intern, I've been told this is tramendously helpful from past grads. Another example: We tried to get psych for a patient today and found outpatient psych is booked into next April. Yes, there are less zebras, but applicants get what they need during sub-i's and audition/aways. Given the match lists, they are clearly not hindered and in fact, it has only helped them. If you go up there, you will do more, your attendings will rely on you more and expect more out of you because there are no residents. The attendings are not academics like at the downstate hospitals and this makes a difference in many many ways.

I should rephrase how often you're at a satalite - TC for example, if its fam med, outpatient OB, psych you're at the satalite. Same for the first month of surgery (2nd is at Munson), IM and Peds are at Munson - basically any of the heavy hitting medicine clerkships are at the Main, the less medicine intensive are away. Suprisingly, everyone has enjoyed surgery more at their satalite so far - usually smaller practice with 3-4 docs and 1 student. You do learn a lot this way.

Last edited:
II received. Complete late August. LM 63-66.

Reactions: 4 users
Got the R today. Complete August 2nd. IS

Was hoping for some love from my state school and alma mater

found out my EDP application didn't go my way so i took a long shot and submitted a few primaries. What do y'all think my chances are at this point?
I'm a business major, OOS, 511, cgpa and sgpa in mid 3.8's, pretty decent ec's
Should I be hopeful or just kiss my chances at a secondary goodbye

found out my EDP application didn't go my way so i took a long shot and submitted a few primaries. What do y'all think my chances are at this point?
I'm a business major, OOS, 511, cgpa and sgpa in mid 3.8's, pretty decent ec's
Should I be hopeful or just kiss my chances at a secondary goodbye
They don't screen secondaries, so you would definitely get one. You would be kinda late, but not too bad, submitting at most schools if you got ur secondaries in before the end of September. Wouldn't recommend this school tho based on you being OOS

They don't screen secondaries, so you would definitely get one. You would be kinda late, but not too bad, submitting at most schools if you got ur secondaries in before the end of September. Wouldn't recommend this school tho based on you being OOS

why? nearly half their class is OOS

why? nearly half their class is OOS
Crazy high tuition for OOS, also the percentage of OOS applicants who matriculate is less than 0.5% of those who apply, which is pretty low.

II today! Complete 7/25, LM-70

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users

Do you recall where this list of MMI questions came from? Email?

Oh I see. I thought it was like an official list or something. Duh. I suppose that would take the fun out of it.

Is there any way to update michigan state on new things i want to add to my app? I recently started in a research lab (had no prior research experience on my app) and would really like to add that in there!

Is there any way to update michigan state on new things i want to add to my app? I recently started in a research lab (had no prior research experience on my app) and would really like to add that in there!

I believe you can only update your application if you have been placed on the waitlist after an interview.

Checked the portal today and it looks like my app is on hold. Has anyone else experienced this /chances of receiving an II later on? This is my literal dream school.

Checked the portal today and it looks like my app is on hold. Has anyone else experienced this /chances of receiving an II later on? This is my literal dream school.
Would you mind letting me know when you were marked complete?

II just now!! Crazy excited, given the 11/22 date. IS. Applied and submitted early like July-ish

where does it say hold?

same, also on hold :(

I've been placed on hold here before, and it stayed that way until I was formally rejected at the end of the cycle. However, I have seen others on sdn placed on hold still be invited for an interview. I think it simply means they have taken a look at your application and will come back to it later. Basically you're just left on read.

Both complete and forwarded for preliminary review since 8/13 and haven't heard anything back since then. OOS and no ties but I really resonate with the school's mission! I hope this is a good sign!

@bernice_anders same - forwarded for review 8/9. Nothing yet.
Do you know if they sent out rejections already? I hope we made it past that hurdle.

@Gram1027
I'm so sorry!
Do you mind me asking when you submitted?
I submitted on 8/2, was marked complete on 8/3 and got the R on 9/12.
509/3.85, re-applicant (was placed on hold before getting rejected in January last year), strong ties to the school, IS

Good luck, hope you hear about an II soon

• Sad
I submitted on 8/2, was marked complete on 8/3 and got the R on 9/12.
509/3.85, re-applicant (was placed on hold before getting rejected in January last year), strong ties to the school, IS

Good luck, hope you hear about an II soon
I know how frustrating that can be. My stats are just below yours and I have 0 ties to the school. Well, this isn't a good sign. :(

+1. Under review 8/1. No email, had to check portal