2019-2020 Idaho College of Osteopathic Medicine (ICOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone who interviewed last week on the phone heard anything?

Hey, everyone, I want to get to know those of you who have matriculated so we can talk about apartments, roommates, etc.
So, I encourage joining the Facebook group called ICOM class of 2024.
You will find it under the ICOM's official Facebook page.

Placed on high waitlist :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Hopefully, the waitlist movement is like last cycle. :)

Was last cycle quite good? I'm waitlisted at one other school. I know my friend who is a first year at ICOM was accepted off the waitlist but I had no clue how his app and interview compared to mine :)

Was last cycle quite good? I'm waitlisted at one other school. I know my friend who is a first year at ICOM was accepted off the waitlist but I had no clue how his app and interview compared to mine :)

I was placed on the waitlist and then about a week later, I got the phone call saying I was accepted. Did they tell you which priority you are?

Did you call them to ask?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No. When I emailed them to confirm that I want to remain on the waitlist, they emailed back saying thanks and that was was placed on the high waitlist.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was placed on the waitlist and then about a week later, I got the phone call saying I was accepted. Did they tell you which priority you are?
When were you placed on the waitlist or when did you interview?

Hey, everyone, I want to get to know those of you who have matriculated so we can talk about apartments, roommates, etc.
So, I encourage joining the Facebook group called ICOM class of 2024.
You will find it under the ICOM's official Facebook page.

How do you get into this group? Ive been pending for like 3 days now.

Reactions: 1 user
I was accepted a few minutes after requesting, so if I were you I'd message the moderator of the group.

Does anyone know how many people are on the high portion of the waitlist?

You have to direct message ICOM. Ask if you can get in the class of 2024 group. I got accepted in less than a minute after my request.
I would assume your Facebook name matches your actual ICOM application name so they recognize you.

Did they tell you that you were "high" on the waitlist after the interview???
They emailed saying I was placed on waitlist after my email, and to confirm that I wanted to remain on waitlist. When I confirmed, then they emailed stating I was placed on the high waitlist rather than the normal waitlist.

Did they tell you that you were "high" on the waitlist after the interview???

ICOM has 3 groups for the waitlist: High, medium, and low priority. You can email Ms. Janette Martin and ask her where you are

How long after you finished and submitted your secondary were you contacted by the school regarding II or rejection?

Anyone a current student on here? Wanted to DM some questions.
I am. Sorry, I'm not on here often. You can DM me your questions and I will do my best to answer them.

ICOM has 3 groups for the waitlist: High, medium, and low priority. You can email Ms. Janette Martin and ask her where you are
have you heard of anyone being placed on the medium or low priority? I feel like everyone that has been waitlisted and is on SDN has said they were high priority which makes me really nervous.

Reactions: 3 users
When were you placed on the waitlist or when did you interview?

I interviewed 3/9, was placed on the high waitlist on 3/13 (they're pretty fast about making decisions), then accepted 3/24.

I apologize if this was already addressed, but does anyone know when ICOM interviews until? And if ICOM is receptive to update letters and letters of interest/intent?

I apologize if this was already addressed, but does anyone know when ICOM interviews until? And if ICOM is receptive to update letters and letters of interest/intent?

They are receptive to update letters. I don’t know about the rest sorryy

Honestly, I can't recommend either path. You wanna be a doctor? Do it right. This is the advice I'd give my own children.

Here's why I can't recommend ICOM:
Not recommended due to the apparent dishonesty they had in setting up their school that poisoned the relations with hospitals in Idaho and/or the Idaho Medical Association. In addition, most of their rotation sites are very far away from the school. This raises the risk that the rotations are not adequately supervised and preceptors are not fully trained in teaching.

Hi! This is from ICOM's twitter feed: "ICOM has appointed four new board members, including: Dr. David Pate, retired Pres/CEO of
@StLukesHealth; Rachel Gonzales, Pres/CEO of Madison Memorial Hospital; Dr. Steven Nemerson CCO of @SaintAlsHealth; and Jeff Sollis, CEO of
@EIRMC." To me, that sounds like a pretty SOLID relations with local hospitals in Idaho?

Hi! This is from ICOM's twitter feed: "ICOM has appointed four new board members, including: Dr. David Pate, retired Pres/CEO of
@StLukesHealth; Rachel Gonzales, Pres/CEO of Madison Memorial Hospital; Dr. Steven Nemerson CCO of @SaintAlsHealth; and Jeff Sollis, CEO of
@EIRMC." To me, that sounds like a pretty SOLID relations with local hospitals in Idaho?
Do you know what board members actually do?

Do you know what board members actually do?

Is this a rhetorical question? Since you're a faculty, maybe you can enlighten us???

I would be my presumption that having local hospital executives on the board of trustees would be at least some assistance in securing both rotations and possibly a residency program.

Is this a rhetorical question? Since you're a faculty, maybe you can enlighten us???

I would be my presumption that having local hospital executives on the board of trustees would be at least some assistance in securing both rotations and possibly a residency program.
board members are expected to do nothing related to the medical school accept raise money for it

Having a hospital CEO on your school's Board of Trustees will not help you at all in securing a residency position at their hospital. These CEOs won't know who you are or really care about your existence. You're just one of almost 650 students, and you will probably never meet them anyway. Also, hospital CEOs have little to no involvement in the selection process of residents. In fact, I doubt they even have regular conversations with PDs or residency faculty. They are usually quite far removed from clinical practice.

Just for everyone's education, I thought I'd drop a link to a document here. It's a little out of date and current plans are slightly different/clarified, but I could not find my updated copy. For anyone that wants to remain in Idaho, this is just good information to have.

Tables 10 and 11 are the ones that I tend to focus on, although the entire document is a helpful read. Even with the best outlook, by 2025 there will be 119 residency positions available in Idaho each year (note that Bingham IM closed). That doesn't even cover the 162 students that ICOM wants to graduate each year. Then add 10 Idaho graduates from U of U, 40 from UW, 5+ from PNWU, 20-40 (complete guess) Idaho residents graduating from other programs, and people who just decide they like residencies Idaho (who knows what this number is) and it actually starts to sound pretty competitive. To be fair, many of those graduates will be interested in specialties with no residency positions in Idaho, and others may not want to be in Idaho, so I think you can realistically cut those numbers down a fair amount when assessing the competition, but it still isn't ideal, especially as a graduate of a newer school.

I just want everyone to be realistic. Matching is hard for anyone. Don't set yourself up for disappointment by setting unrealistic expectations. I hope that you'll all match to the specialty that you want, but it may be pretty competitive to match in Idaho if that is what you want. Having a hospital CEO on your school's Board of Trustees will not help you secure one of those spots.

• Love
Anyone hear/know of any recent waitlist movement? I hope everyone is safe and healthy. :)

Anyone hear/know of any recent waitlist movement? I hope everyone is safe and healthy. :)
They'll be finishing up interviews in May so I'm assuming we'll hear back around that time

Hello! Hope you're safe and healthy as well :) I recently was accepted off the high waitlist. My advice to those on the waitlist is to email admissions or Janette every few weeks to express your interest in the program because I think they do have a couple seats opening up every week.

Hello! Hope you're safe and healthy as well :) I recently was accepted off the high waitlist. My advice to those on the waitlist is to email admissions or Janette every few weeks to express your interest in the program because I think they do have a couple seats opening up every week.

Thanks for the advice! Can you let us know dates of your interview/waitlist/acceptance? Thanks!

Thanks for the advice! Can you let us know dates of your interview/waitlist/acceptance? Thanks!
Absolutely! Interview: March 23, Waitlisted: March 27th, Acceptance: April 8th. Let me know if there are any other questions.

Absolutely! Interview: March 23, Waitlisted: March 27th, Acceptance: April 8th. Let me know if there are any other questions.
When did you turn in your secondary application? I turned mine in on 3/31, received a confirmation email that it was received and have yet to hear anything back. Should I be worried?

When did you turn in your secondary application? I turned mine in on 3/31, received a confirmation email that it was received and have yet to hear anything back. Should I be worried?
I turned mine in on 2/24! I think you could probably contact admissions to see the status of your application just to make sure your application is complete and ready for review, but there are still interviews going on through May so hang in there! Good luck :)

I turned mine in on 2/24! I think you could probably contact admissions to see the status of your application just to make sure your application is complete and ready for review, but there are still interviews going on through May so hang in there! Good luck :)
Thanks! I actually just received the invite to interview today! For anyone that has done the virtual interview, how was your experience with it?

Also, for anyone wondering, they did say that they are only interviewing for wait list positions at this time.

Thanks! I actually just received the invite to interview today! For anyone that has done the virtual interview, how was your experience with it?

Also, for anyone wondering, they did say that they are only interviewing for wait list positions at this time.

Don't stress too much about it; it's very conversational and you can essentially direct the narrative. Make sure you review your primary/secondary application and have good answers for why ICOM/DO/Rural/etc. Additionally, if there are any red flags on your app, make sure you have something for that. It's about 30 minutes with two ICOM faculty and goes by quickly. Be confident, vulnerable and try having fun. Good luck!

Don't stress too much about it; it's very conversational and you can essentially direct the narrative. Make sure you review your primary/secondary application and have good answers for why ICOM/DO/Rural/etc. Additionally, if there are any red flags on your app, make sure you have something for that. It's about 30 minutes with two ICOM faculty and goes by quickly. Be confident, vulnerable and try having fun. Good luck!

My experience was very different. I only spoke to one lady, who spoke most of the time. She really only asked me maybe 2 questions, but the rest of our conversation was just casual stuff like me being non-traditional, she was also a non-traditional path to medicine. I had no why ICOM/DO/Rural questions at all. I think it very much depends on who you get assigned to for the interview.

Did anyone receive an R? The interview is so chill. It's like they really want you to be there.
Some other place that I applied to had a super stressful interview. It was AWFUL.

Glad to do my monthly SDN login and see the premed and med student who don't even go this school are still spending a weirdly personal-vendetta-ish amount of time talking smack about it lol.

Back to actually important things - I'm still willing to answer any questions y'all have as a current ICOM student. :) Hope you're all staying healthy and sane. Can't imagine going through a pandemic and interview season at the same time. Just thinking about it gives me anxiety.

• Haha
Reactions: 11 users
Did anyone receive an R? The interview is so chill. It's like they really want you to be there.
Some other place that I applied to had a super stressful interview. It was AWFUL.
Was the interview over the phone through Cisco or does it actually use the webcam? My interview is set for Monday morning 4/20.

I haven’t seen anyone post that they’ve been rejected yet......and they took 77 people from the waitlist last year so I’m pretty hopeful! The ICOM class of 2024 Facebook page currently has 65 individuals and their class size is 162 from what I’ve read.

Was the interview over the phone through Cisco or does it actually use the webcam? My interview is set for Monday morning 4/20.

I haven’t seen anyone post that they’ve been rejected yet......and they took 77 people from the waitlist last year so I’m pretty hopeful! The ICOM class of 2024 Facebook page currently has 65 individuals and their class size is 162 from what I’ve read.

I'm pretty sure they will strictly be over the phone. Yes, apparently last cycle was good for the waitlist. Let's hope this cycle is like last, or better! Good luck on your interview.

Mine was a Zoom meeting, video included.