2019-2020 Idaho College of Osteopathic Medicine (ICOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys, I was just wondering if there were any current ICOM students or native Idahoans that are on this forum that I could DM. Thanks in advance!
Hey there, I’m a first year at ICOM, and would be happy to answer any questions you may have.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
II today....First II been waiting since August. Any one who has interviewed have any tips? What to expect?

II today....First II been waiting since August. Any one who has interviewed have any tips? What to expect?
It's pretty relaxed! They are told not to ask you any questions that would make you nervous. All of it was pretty conversational with questions they have to ask, but they just are making sure you are human I think, good luck !

Reactions: 1 users
It's pretty relaxed! They are told not to ask you any questions that would make you nervous. All of it was pretty conversational with questions they have to ask, but they just are making sure you are human I think, good luck !

Definitely this. Also, I’d say have at least five questions prepared to ask your interviewers, the interview questions they ask don’t take all 30 minutes

II yesterday!! Just out of curiosity, has this school filled its incoming class yet? I just want to know if I will be interviewing for a waitlist spot. Thanks!

Most likely going to be giving up my acceptance here in the next few days, hope it goes to one of you guys!

II today, scheduled for 2/24

Is anyone else interviewing on 2/10 on here, and possibly interested in checking out downtown Boise the sunday before?

Members don't see this ad :)
I have been accepted. How can I find people to connect with? Is there a Facebook group? Thanks

Reactions: 2 users
I have been accepted. How can I find people to connect with? Is there a Facebook group? Thanks

There is a facebook page on the school's facebook page but it only has 13 members, not sure we're supposed to be joining yet haha.

Hi guys! I recently got an II here, so I was wondering if some of y'all can describe your interview experiences. More specifically, how should I prepare and what kind of questions did they ask? Thanks in advance!

Withdrew from my invitation. Hopefully it goes out to one of y'all!

Reactions: 3 users
Hey there, I’m a first year at ICOM, and would be happy to answer any questions you may have.
Hey Amy! Can you tell me a little about the financial aid that you receive? Also, what's the deal with the clinical rotation sites?

II today for Feb 24th! So happy to be returning home from leaving state to do masters degree. Hope it goes well. Reach out to me if you’ll be there on the 24th

JUST GOT THE CALL! interviewed 2/10.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Withdrew from interview. Good luck to anyone waiting on a date.

Anyone heard back from 2/17 interviews ?
They said they would reach out by phone For accepted students between 12:30-1:30 idaho time.

Anyone heard back from 2/17 interviews ?
They said they would reach out by phone For accepted students between 12:30-1:30 idaho time.
Waitlisted. got the email around 2 p.m. Does anyone know if it's okay to ask which number you are in the waitlist?

I also got waitlisted ! :nailbiting:

I for sure felt solid after those 3 interviews even though my first interviewer seemed stoic/intimidating. I’m still content with their decision tho

Hey Amy! Can you tell me a little about the financial aid that you receive? Also, what's the deal with the clinical rotation sites?
Hi there, sorry for the late reply. I have my financial aid through Sallie Mae, which I only chose because I had existing loans with them. About the rotation sites, a second year could probably tell you more about it. But as far as I know, the number is expected to expand for rotation sites next year. They are still making some choices on how they decide who goes where. But overall I believe the second years were content with the rotation match. You would stay there for third year, with option to stay on the fourth year, or set up your own rotatIons.
Let me know if you have any other questions!

Adding to what my classmate said, ~1/3 of the class will stay in the Boise/Meridian area for rotations. The other 2/3 will go to one of the other rotation sites, as of right now. The second years seem overall fairly happy with how they got placed. The school is trying to place people at "home" if that's where they want to go, i.e. student from South Dakota are getting preference to go back and do clinicals there, students from NY are getting preference to go to the NY rotation site, etc. I guess this is because preceptors express a stronger interest in training students from where they're located (also probably makes students in general happier). Also they are always working on expanding and improving our rotations.

Reactions: 2 users
Adding to what my classmate said, ~1/3 of the class will stay in the Boise/Meridian area for rotations. The other 2/3 will go to one of the other rotation sites, as of right now. The second years seem overall fairly happy with how they got placed. The school is trying to place people at "home" if that's where they want to go, i.e. student from South Dakota are getting preference to go back and do clinicals there, students from NY are getting preference to go to the NY rotation site, etc. I guess this is because preceptors express a stronger interest in training students from where they're located (also probably makes students in general happier). Also they are always working on expanding and improving our rotations.
Did anyone get a rotation in Michigan? I am from there but I just want the best training. So it doesn't really matter. What matters is letter of recommendations, good scores, and good clinical skills.

Did anyone get a rotation in Michigan? I am from there but I just want the best training. So it doesn't really matter. What matters is letter of recommendations, good scores, and good clinical skills.
No, we don't have a core site in Michigan right now. That said, fourth year is pretty much open for electives and you're allowed to go wherever you want for rotations then. :)

No, we don't have a core site in Michigan right now. That said, fourth year is pretty much open for electives and you're allowed to go wherever you want for rotations then. :)
Is there a list of where one can go? Thanks.

For those who were accepted, how long did it take from the acceptance email to receive your email from myrecordtracker? Thanks!

Waitlisted. got the email around 2 p.m. Does anyone know if it's okay to ask which number you are in the waitlist?
I don’t think it ever looks good to ask. Let admissions do their thing. Also just a heads up, at my interview they specifically said they don’t have a number based waitlist. More of a “loose grouping”
Also heard that ~70 from waitlist were offered acceptances last year. If you want ICOM and got waitlisted, expect an acceptance eventually.

I was also waitlisted and I did ask what spot I was. The admissions team seemed happy to answer me and took it as I was really interested in going to their school. She did let me know that they do not actually number their candidates but rather place them in groups of high-medium-low. They anticipate that all the high people will get acceptances off their waitlist, but you never know.

I was also waitlisted and I did ask what spot I was. The admissions team seemed happy to answer me and took it as I was really interested in going to their school. She did let me know that they do not actually number their candidates but rather place them in groups of high-medium-low. They anticipate that all the high people will get acceptances off their waitlist, but you never know.

So did they say if you were in the high, medium, or low region ?

Accepted on Friday! In order to return the favor, if anyone would like to ask me questions, you may

some of you have been very kind in answering all my questions about ICOM

Howdy, y'all! Hope everyone is doing just dandy. Can anyone comment or summarize what interview day was like? Any tips? Closed/Open interview? Additionally, I'm looking to fly out at 2:45PM. Do y'all think that would work, considering how late or early the interview day ends?

Thanks!

Howdy, y'all! Hope everyone is doing just dandy. Can anyone comment or summarize what interview day was like? Any tips? Closed/Open interview? Additionally, I'm looking to fly out at 2:45PM. Do y'all think that would work, considering how late or early the interview day ends?

Thanks!

it’s open file
go on the sdn interview feedback for this school and learn the common interview Qs like tell me about yourself, why medicine, why DO, why ICOM in particular.

they will accommodate if you have a flight in the afternoon. Ms Martin was really nice about it.

Thank you for the info! Anyone current students care to comment on ICOM's core rotation sites for third/fourth year? I've read very mixed things about this and seems to be alarming. Grandmaster @Goro, do you have any thoughts about ICOM? Let's say a student has no other acceptances aside from ICOM or Caribbean schools. Ruling out reapplying next cycle, would a Caribbean school be a better option than ICOM?

Thank you for the info! Anyone current students care to comment on ICOM's core rotation sites for third/fourth year? I've read very mixed things about this and seems to be alarming. Grandmaster @Goro, do you have any thoughts about ICOM? Let's say a student has no other acceptances aside from ICOM or Caribbean schools. Ruling out reapplying next cycle, would a Caribbean school be a better option than ICOM?
No, ICOM would be better, but you're wise to scrutinize this particular school's rotation sites.

Honestly, I can't recommend either path. You wanna be a doctor? Do it right. This is the advice I'd give my own children.

Here's why I can't recommend ICOM:
Not recommended due to the apparent dishonesty they had in setting up their school that poisoned the relations with hospitals in Idaho and/or the Idaho Medical Association. In addition, most of their rotation sites are very far away from the school. This raises the risk that the rotations are not adequately supervised and preceptors are not fully trained in teaching.

• Love
Honestly, I can't recommend either path. You wanna be a doctor? Do it right. This is the advice I'd give my own children.

Here's why I can't recommend ICOM:
Not recommended due to the apparent dishonesty they had in setting up their school that poisoned the relations with hospitals in Idaho and/or the Idaho Medical Association. In addition, most of their rotation sites are very far away from the school. This raises the risk that the rotations are not adequately supervised and preceptors are not fully trained in teaching.

Is there any evidence that they upset the IMA or is this hearsay? And poisoned relationships with hospitals? Is that seen in the rotation sites?

I will be interviewing soon at ICOM and was wondering if I should rent a car or rely on uber while I am there. I will not be 25 until April, so I am not sure if it is worth the fees and will be interviewing this month. Thank you!

I received an interview invite today. I've already been accepted to LUCOM and have paid my deposit. Is it still worth it to go to the interview? I'm from NJ and plane/hotel costs are a concern.