2019-2020 Idaho College of Osteopathic Medicine (ICOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Glad to do my monthly SDN login and see the premed and med student who don't even go this school are still spending a weirdly personal-vendetta-ish amount of time talking smack about it lol.

Back to actually important things - I'm still willing to answer any questions y'all have as a current ICOM student. :) Hope you're all staying healthy and sane. Can't imagine going through a pandemic and interview season at the same time. Just thinking about it gives me anxiety.
Are you a second year or first year?
How has the pandemic affected your education?
What loans did you apply for?

Members don't see this ad.

Are you a second year or first year?
How has the pandemic affected your education?
What loans did you apply for?

First year!

As for the pandemic: I watched all the lectures and studied at home anyway so it wasn't as much of a difference for me as some of my classmates. We finished respiratory at home including our final, and now we have started neuro. Instead of two midterms and a final for neuro, we now have shorter, weekly, timed exams. For OPP, we've been continuing to watch our videos of the techniques; now they have us writing synopses on the techniques and making videos of ourselves performing several of them each week. We obviously can't do our practical exams, but we did our written exam at home. Simulations can't be replicated, and I'm pretty disappointed about those...we had just finally started doing sims which are really fun and then this happened! OSCEs can't really be replicated either, but we are doing case studies and things like that at home. We will be going back a week early in July to make up our OSCEs and OPP practicals. Overall, I feel like ICOM has done a good job at making adjustments to at-home and online learning. It's already a very tech-savvy campus, a lot of our faculty was already using technology anyway (like the OPP department), and our IT department are rock stars, so I think we had an easier transition than a lot of schools. I miss everyone though :(

I applied at Wells Fargo with a cosigner and got a 5.75% interest rate. I didn't even complete my Sallie Mae application because the interest rates were quite a bit higher for me.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
First year!

As for the pandemic: I watched all the lectures and studied at home anyway so it wasn't as much of a difference for me as some of my classmates. We finished respiratory at home including our final, and now we have started neuro. Instead of two midterms and a final for neuro, we now have shorter, weekly, timed exams. For OPP, we've been continuing to watch our videos of the techniques; now they have us writing synopses on the techniques and making videos of ourselves performing several of them each week. We obviously can't do our practical exams, but we did our written exam at home. Simulations can't be replicated, and I'm pretty disappointed about those...we had just finally started doing sims which are really fun and then this happened! OSCEs can't really be replicated either, but we are doing case studies and things like that at home. We will be going back a week early in July to make up our OSCEs and OPP practicals. Overall, I feel like ICOM has done a good job at making adjustments to at-home and online learning. It's already a very tech-savvy campus, a lot of our faculty was already using technology anyway (like the OPP department), and our IT department are rock stars, so I think we had an easier transition than a lot of schools. I miss everyone though :(

I applied at Wells Fargo with a cosigner and got a 5.75% interest rate. I didn't even complete my Sallie Mae application because the interest rates were quite a bit higher for me.
Thank you for your answers.
How about the anatomy lab exams? How can you do it at home without cadavers?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for your answers.
How about the anatomy lab exams? How can you do it at home without cadavers?

We are already done with anatomy! We do all of anatomy in the first semester. For neuro, we were supposed to go back into the lab to look at a few prosections, but they have moved that online too. This is obviously less of a big deal because we weren't going to be doing the dissection ourselves anyway, just look at it. It's not as cool to watch pictures and videos, but it works.

Edit: I feel like I should clarify - we already took the brains out and did basic surface anatomy of the brain during gross anatomy. The prosections were to view specific cross-sectional views now that we are learning (much) more detailed neuroanatomy.

Reactions: 2 users
Hello,
Are any current ICOM students willing to have a zoom chat with me about their experience so far? I did a webcam interview and am currently on the waitlist but was not able to visit the ICOM campus.
It would be great to connect with students to get more information about the school.

Thank you!

Hello,
Are any current ICOM students willing to have a zoom chat with me about their experience so far? I did a webcam interview and am currently on the waitlist but was not able to visit the ICOM campus.
It would be great to connect with students to get more information about the school.

Thank you!
I second this

Reactions: 1 user
Hello,

Thank you!

This sounds like a good opportunity to have a group session, so that we can all chat! Are any ICOM students available for this? I think we could maybe plan for an hour; I certainly don't want to eat up their time. Let us know! Also, if anyone is interested in this, message here and we can get something going. Perhaps, even a discord session if that's more suitable.

Are there any second years out there who have already received their assignments for year 3 rotations? How does ICOM's lottery system work for those and would you care to share how you feel about some of your site assignments?

Thanks!

Reactions: 1 users
Are there any second years out there who have already received their assignments for year 3 rotations? How does ICOM's lottery system work for those and would you care to share how you feel about some of your site assignments?

Thanks!
All 3rd-year assignments have been designated. From what I've heard the overall process is essentially a combination of a lottery system(luck of the draw) and a pre-lottery petition period where students report particular hardships they may have in order to be granted special consideration for sites.

Has anyone who has been accepted started the loan process yet? Or anyone know when we should start looking into it?

Hi everyone, first time poster so I'm not sure if this belongs here. I've heard that ICOM doesn't support students in years 3 and 4 in terms of clinicals and clerkships, and that the hospitals in the area hate the school. I'm a low stat applicant so I was thinking of applying here until I heard that. Does anyone know how much truth there is to what I heard?

Hi everyone, first time poster so I'm not sure if this belongs here. I've heard that ICOM doesn't support students in years 3 and 4 in terms of clinicals and clerkships, and that the hospitals in the area hate the school. I'm a low stat applicant so I was thinking of applying here until I heard that. Does anyone know how much truth there is to what I heard?
Here we go again....

Edit: Please read through this forum in its entirety. All of the info you are requesting is here.

Members don't see this ad :)
Interviewed 4/20 and placed on High Priority waitlist today 4/24! Hoping that the waitlist movement this year is as good as last year! Hope to be a part of ICOM class of 2024!

This sounds like a good opportunity to have a group session, so that we can all chat! Are any ICOM students available for this? I think we could maybe plan for an hour; I certainly don't want to eat up their time. Let us know! Also, if anyone is interested in this, message here and we can get something going. Perhaps, even a discord session if that's more suitable.

Hey there! I'm a current first year student and am available for whatever questions y'all have.

Reactions: 3 users
Hey there! I'm a current first year student and am available for whatever questions y'all have.
What note taking app do you use, if any? How has your experience with ICOM been thus far? Best advice for an incoming first year? (aka things you wish you knew beforehand)

What note taking app do you use, if any? How has your experience with ICOM been thus far? Best advice for an incoming first year? (aka things you wish you knew beforehand)
There's a pod cast that suggests how to work with their technology. It's called the Com Pod. They go over note taking technology at ICOM. Just a suggestion even though I am not a student.

Were you wanting some form of Zoom meeting it sounded like? I can answer all those questions better through a discussion/speak to all of this in more detail over Zoom if that's what y'all prefer. If not I don't mind answering these on here briefly:

- I personally use Goodnotes because I like the way it's organized though I know others like notability or just using googledocs
- I love ICOM and I'm so happy to be going here and am really happy with my decision. I have a lot of friends at other DO schools and I just think that ICOM handles everything in a really organized, transparent fashion and really cares about our feedback/input. All the faculty are so approachable and I really feel a sense of community here, which I really appreciate having as I'm away from home and didn't know anyone when moving here.
- Relax as much as you can/feel well rested before you start because it gets pretty chaotic as you adjust. The last thing you want is to be burnt out before the ball starts rolling.

Were you wanting some form of Zoom meeting it sounded like? I can answer all those questions better through a discussion/speak to all of this in more detail over Zoom if that's what y'all prefer. If not I don't mind answering these on here briefly:

- I personally use Goodnotes because I like the way it's organized though I know others like notability or just using googledocs
- I love ICOM and I'm so happy to be going here and am really happy with my decision. I have a lot of friends at other DO schools and I just think that ICOM handles everything in a really organized, transparent fashion and really cares about our feedback/input. All the faculty are so approachable and I really feel a sense of community here, which I really appreciate having as I'm away from home and didn't know anyone when moving here.
- Relax as much as you can/feel well rested before you start because it gets pretty chaotic as you adjust. The last thing you want is to be burnt out before the ball starts rolling.

Thank you for all the info! Yeah, if everyone is interested we can setup a Zoom or Discord session. Can I get a headcount on who is interested (reply or like this comment)? Additionally, what's a good day for you, @Quinnmedwoman ? I was thinking this Friday AM? You're probably the busiest, so let us know what works best for you. You can PM me.

Thank you for all the info! Yeah, if everyone is interested we can setup a Zoom or Discord session. Can I get a headcount on who is interested (reply or like this comment)? Additionally, what's a good day for you, @Quinnmedwoman ? I was thinking this Friday AM? You're probably the busiest, so let us know what works best for you. You can PM me.

Friday works! Anytime before noon
Or can do any time Saturday :)

How is Saturday at 10AM EST? That would be 9AM for you, @Quinnmedwoman . So far, it seems like we have 5ish people total.

I think that would be 8am for someone in Idaho when it's 10am EST, correct me if im wrong. But that time should work for me!
Was just about to say that

Edit: assuming they are still in Idaho

Last edited:
Yeah, you're right (Good catch!). How about 12PM EST (10AM Idaho time)? Work for everybody? Also, we won't be using Zoom; there have been too many security issues with it. We'll be using Jitsi. There is no account needed, good security and no download. I'll provide the link.

Yeah, you're right (Good catch!). How about 12PM EST (10AM Idaho time)? Work for everybody? Also, we won't be using Zoom; there have been too many security issues with it. We'll be using Jitsi. There is no account needed, good security and no download. I'll provide the link.

Saturday at 10AM mountain time works great with me! Are you going to direct message a link?

Saturday at 10AM mountain time works great with me! Are you going to direct message a link?

Yeah, I can direct message a link. I have created a conversation and added all who are interested so for, except for those who have their settings set in a way that doesn't allow me to add them. @Quinnmedwoman, is it possible to change your setting, at least for the action of adding you? If anyone is uncomfortable changing their settings, just direct message me so I can send you the invite link. Also, anyone who is interested and hasn't been added, please post here. I'll gladly add y'all.

Last edited:
For anyone who submitted a letter of intent, who did you address it to? Did you just email Janette?

Yeah, I can direct message a link. I have created a conversation and added all who are interested so for, except for those who have their settings set in a way that doesn't allow me to add them. @Quinnmedwoman, is it possible to change your setting, at least for the action of adding you? If anyone is uncomfortable changing their settings, just direct message me so I can send you the invite link. Also, anyone who is interested and hasn't been added, please post here. I'll gladly add y'all.
I'm interested!

Hey guys - if you want a second ICOM student in on your Zoom meeting, I would be happy to join too, just let me know. I'm free Saturday at 10 and can set aside an hour or so.

• Love
Hey guys - if you want a second ICOM student in on your Zoom meeting, I would be happy to join too, just let me know. I'm free Saturday at 10 and can set aside an hour or so.

Yeah, sure. The more the merrier. I think we have about 10 people including you. I'll PM you. :)

EDIT: Can't PM you; I believe it's your settings.

Last edited:
Current OMSs, is the school communicating to yall about future curriculum plans? Because of the pandemic, I believe classes will be held online until a vaccine is made... As an incoming student from out-of-state, I am not sure if I should find housing and move in due to the costs if classes are held virtually. What do you guys think? Will the school send out an announcement anytime soon regarding that? I know it's a tough situation and everything is uncertain, but I am sure the school should be planning something. Thank you

Last edited:
I'm in the same boat as you @rufzdog, I would love to have a touch base from the school regarding their plans. HOWEVER! They did send a newsletter in the last few days which emphasized that your presence is mandatory for orientation, so if I'm trying to extrapolate that, I believe we will be Idaho bound.

Just wanted to check in. I think we have 10 total for tomorrow's Video Conference with two, current ICOM students. If you haven't received a PM from me and are still interested in participating, please like this or reply and I'll add y'all. We plan to meet at 12PM EST tomorrow via Jitsi (Zoom will be a backup). Should be a good time. :)

Current OMSs, is the school communicating to yall about future curriculum plans? Because of the pandemic, I believe classes will be held online until a vaccine is made... As an incoming student from out-of-state, I am not sure if I should find housing and move in due to the costs if classes are held virtually. What do you guys think? Will the school send out an announcement anytime soon regarding that? I know it's a tough situation and everything is uncertain, but I am sure the school should be planning something. Thank you

So far they've told us to plan to be back at school for the last week of July, which is a week earlier than planned. This is due to needing to make up for hands on clinical and OPP classes we've missed since the quarantine started. So as far as I know, they are still planning on opening the school and you should be on track for orientation I'd assume. Idaho in general is opening up here pretty soon so this makes sense but if anything changes I will be sure to update y'all!

For anyone on the waitlist, I just gave up my A here finally as I've chosen a different school to attend. Best of luck to everyone going here!

So far they've told us to plan to be back at school for the last week of July, which is a week earlier than planned. This is due to needing to make up for hands on clinical and OPP classes we've missed since the quarantine started. So as far as I know, they are still planning on opening the school and you should be on track for orientation I'd assume. Idaho in general is opening up here pretty soon so this makes sense but if anything changes I will be sure to update y'all!
ICOM put something out on social media today. From what I understood in the link, they are planning on having classes as normal come the Fall.

https://bit.ly/2YovHJi

Hi guys! Just wanted to say again that I enjoyed our chat this morning and hope it was helpful for you guys. Interview season and trying to choose a school is super stressful, so hang in there. You all seemed like neat people so hopefully we all get to hang out on campus together soon. Good luck!

Hi guys! Just wanted to say again that I enjoyed our chat this morning and hope it was helpful for you guys. Interview season and trying to choose a school is super stressful, so hang in there. You all seemed like neat people so hopefully we all get to hang out on campus together soon. Good luck!

For sure! I think everyone had a good time. Thanks for letting us bother you with questions for an hourish! Hope to meet y'all one day. :)

Interviewed 2/17 and put on medium-priority waitlist. Still have not heard anything about waitlist movement. Advice I received was to NOT send a letter of intent because it wouldn't matter as the waitlist is ranked.

I called in March and admissions said they couldn't tell me exactly where I was on the list but that I still had a "very good chance" of an offer.

I see that others who interviewed after me have been placed on higher priority and then accepted though.

Should I be worried? Can I still send a letter of intent?

Interviewed 2/17 and put on medium-priority waitlist. Still have not heard anything about waitlist movement. Advice I received was to NOT send a letter of intent because it wouldn't matter as the waitlist is ranked.

I called in March and admissions said they couldn't tell me exactly where I was on the list but that I still had a "very good chance" of an offer.

I see that others who interviewed after me have been placed on higher priority and then accepted though.

During my interview they said they do consider update letters. So I think it would help. When I checked my place on the waitlist I said I intended to send an update letter and Jeanette didn’t advise otherwise so I’m sure it can only help.

I don't think a letter of intent would hurt at this school, especially if you already have acceptances elsewhere. I would send it. Good luck!

Did anyone else get an email regarding their interest in being taken off the waitlist today?

Did anyone else get an email regarding their interest in being taken off the waitlist today?
I did as well. I just replied and expressed my desire to REMAIN on the waitlist and how excited I would be to join the class of 2024.

I want to reply to CONFIRM my spot, but then the second line of the email stating "shoot me an email if you want to be OFF the waitlist" discouraged me. Unless it means off the waitlist to be accepted lol.