2018-2019 Wake Forest University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I received my background check link from certiphi around January 15th. I haven't seen anything regarding immunizations yet.

Me too

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
How did you guys answer prompt 4 in general?

Members don't see this ad :)
You might want to quote the prompt
"4. Briefly summarize your journey from the time you became interested in a medical career to filling out this secondary application. Do not focus on why you wish to persue a medical career, but how you got to where you are now. (400 words)"

hello! is the grading system a true P/F (unranked) or is it still ranked and the rank will be mentioned in the dean's letter? Thank you

"4. Briefly summarize your journey from the time you became interested in a medical career to filling out this secondary application. Do not focus on why you wish to persue a medical career, but how you got to where you are now. (400 words)"
Easy for me. I’m a non-trad. I volunteered and did prerequisites. Volunteer work affirmed my decision to become a doctor and prerequisites showed I had the determination and perseverance to get those done while in grad school and working.

Easy for me. I’m a non-trad. I volunteered and did prerequisites. Volunteer work affirmed my decision to become a doctor and prerequisites showed I had the determination and perseverance to get those done while in grad school and working.
thank you for the insight. This helped me frame the prompt a bit better

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone have any advice on what else i can do to boost my chances of getting off this waitlist (besides submitting the LOI)? I’m starting to think they aren’t going to take anyone off until April because of the new AMCAS rules, but the silence is killing me!

Anyone have any advice on what else i can do to boost my chances of getting off this waitlist (besides submitting the LOI)? I’m starting to think they aren’t going to take anyone off until April because of the new AMCAS rules, but the silence is killing me!

We can be in a support group together :sorry:

Reactions: 1 users

I think you're right...I remember someone on interview day saying that the waitlist really got moving in April (once they knew how many students were holding multiple seats). Hang in there!!

My guess is that wake is being extra conservative with handing out acceptances this year due to the traffic rules. Seeing as they gave out many acceptance offers to WL candidates last year beginning in December, I would anticipate that we see a very good amount of waitlist movement this spring.

@Pathdocmd are you able to comment any further on this?

Does anyone know if there is a facebook page for accepted Wake students? Or when one will be made?

I am fortunate enough to have another acceptance that I am happy to go to, also I have an II from wake forest. I am deciding if I want to keep the II. Can any current student, or anyone who decided to attend wake forest, comment on why you like wake forest over others? thanks in advance.

II today. Out of state but went to wake for undergrad

Reactions: 5 users
GOT AN INTERVIEW INVITE SUPER PUMPED!!! :)

Reactions: 5 users
I am fortunate enough to have another acceptance that I am happy to go to, also I have an II from wake forest. I am deciding if I want to keep the II. Can any current student, or anyone who decided to attend wake forest, comment on why you like wake forest over others? thanks in advance.
Very nice campus. Nice city. Top notch facilities, new trauma simulation suites, ultrasound for everything.

Also, it’s a very nurturing environment, people are nice and friendly. I’d be very happy to go there if my state school doesn’t take me. The only thing holding me back is the cost.

Damn autocorrect

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

We don’t know your other school, but for me the biggest factors are cost, ranking, and location. You can look up the first two, but wake forest is located near beautiful mountains (you gotta drive to see them) in a calm (not super urban) area.

Congratulations to both of you! When were you complete?

It was some time in August.

Hey guys, has anyone received any "declined for interview"/pre-interview rejections yet? I had my II confirmed in late August and I have heard absolutely nothing. Admissions office says the last interviews are in March... right around the corner :sorry:

Hey guys, has anyone received any "declined for interview"/pre-interview rejections yet? I had my II confirmed in late August and I have heard absolutely nothing. Admissions office says the last interviews are in March... right around the corner :sorry:

II means interview invite just so you know. Yeah, a lot of people have received rejections. They're all throughout the thread

oh whoops, I thought II meant secondary. Hmm -- still concerning :confused:
If you haven't heard from a school by now, you should plan to get a rejection. That doesn't mean you will, but this late in the season, it's the likely result

Anyone received an A after being on the waitlist yet? Its been 6 weeks and im wondering if we will hear something before the end of April

I'm trying to get my vaccinations in order. However, it seems to have 2018 as the due date. Has anyone encountered the same thing?

Edit 2/4/19: Ashely is looking into this.

Last edited:
For those getting rejected pre-II, did you just get an email stating that you’ve been rejected? Just preparing myself for the expected.

Hey guys, just some answers to above questions.
Re: P/F, all pre-clinical grades are truly pass/fail. It’s awesome, and creates such a collaborative environment! I believe the Dean will see actual grades when writing letters way down the line, so if you really have stand-out grades, they will be able to indicate this in addition to all “passes.”
Re: vaccinations, I believe our records and/or new titers were due mid-June. You’ll be sent log-in info for a 3rd party site, so I wouldn’t worry about that at all for now!
Re: why we chose Wake... for me, it was the people. Even 6 months into our first year now, I’m still in disbelief at how much I love our class. Wake does such a great job of building a class that is not only smart, but with such interesting backgrounds and genuine personalities. Wake really puts an emphasis on the people, not so much the grades or MCAT scores. It’s all important, but this ends up building such a caring and cohesive group. ALSO, our curriculum is unique and tailored to help get us into good residencies. Our first 2 years are accelerated compared to most schools, so we spend more time in our clinical rotations figuring out what we actually want to do. Winston-Salem has great hiking and just enough fun stuff for the weekends, but not too much to distract you from med school :) I honestly could go on and on about how Wake was definitely the best choice for me and why I’m so happy here! I can also answer more questions if you need me to.

Reactions: 4 users
Still waiting for the other shoe to drop ...

Still waiting for the other shoe to drop ...
nxsbinIEBk1qzhbquo4_250.gif

Reactions: 3 users
Pre-II R yesterday. Really bummed not to even get an II and looking for advice on what might help me if i reapply next year. I asked admissions but they said they don’t do feedback appointments. LM score 68.9 OOS complete 8/28. My guess is timing or lack of significant patient interaction...

Pre-II R yesterday. Really bummed not to even get an II and looking for advice on what might help me if i reapply next year. I asked admissions but they said they don’t do feedback appointments. LM score 68.9 OOS complete 8/28. My guess is timing or lack of significant patient interaction...

That really sucks. I’d recommend talking to some sort of advisor (ideally) or have someone on reddit/sdn help you out. See where your mcat gpa ec weaknesses are and address them. You got this. There are others with solid stats to not get in. A lot of time, it’s just bad luck. And tbh, it’s not fair and sucks.

Message me! I cant message you for some reason

Just received my II yesterday (complete in August). Wake Forest seems like a beautiful facility, but looking at national rankings, it sits at #51. I was really surprised by this, since I though WF was more upper middle tier?! Would y'all consider WF to be more middle-low middle tier?

I definitely don't want to downplay my II!! I have been accepted at my state institution with a scholarship (a true blessing), and just want to look in more to WF.

Last edited:
Just received my II yesterday (complete in August). Wake Forest seems like a beautiful facility, but looking at national rankings, it sits at #51. I was really surprised by this, since I though WF was more upper middle tier?! Would y'all consider WF to be more middle-low middle tier?

I definitely don't want to downplay my II!! I have been accepted at my state institution with a scholarship (a true blessing), and just want to look in more to WF.

Go to the interview and see what you think.

Also, I think there are 140 something med schools so 51 is slightly upper middle tier.

Residency directors love WF grads.