2018-2019 University of Vermont

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
II earlier this afternoon!!! OOS, complete 7/13, LM 72

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
LMK how you like the school! I was told by my mentor that they are very progressive and super LGBT+ friendly.
That is why I applied. I was very open on my app about being gay because if a school was not about it, I was NOT about them. Feel free to message me if you'd like

Reactions: 5 users
Can I ask how people utilized the "additional comments" essay? Should I write about why I am applying to the school, or is that space more for people to address issues?

Can I ask how people utilized the "additional comments" essay? Should I write about why I am applying to the school, or is that space more for people to address issues?
I did a why this school essay

Is everyone receiving II's via email?

i wrote what i plan on doing my gap year

I combined my interests/diversity with a why this school.

I left mine blank but you can discuss either, whatever you think benefits your app more

Members don't see this ad :)
I left mine blank but you can discuss either, whatever you think benefits your app more
+1. I didnt have too much to say besides what was given in the 2 essays so I left it blank. And my gap year plans are the same as stuff I have been doing during my past gap year. Imo I feel like a "why this school" isnt needed unless the school asks for it because they can see in your application if your ECs and goals align with the school which would be your motivation for applying. But thats just me.

For most schools that had this "optional comments" section, I wrote why I wanted to attend that school. For UVM, I took a different approach and wrote about my hobbies. I also included a reference to one of my recent publications.

Does anyone know if UVM reviews CASPER before giving out II's? I'm hoping that getting an early II here is a sign of a halfway decent CASPER score.

My application is marked complete on the portal and has been since I submitted it a month ago. However, I never received a complete email. Did you all receive a complete email?

My application is marked complete on the portal and has been since I submitted it a month ago. However, I never received a complete email. Did you all receive a complete email?
I did not receive a completion email, but if you look on your application status, you can see if it is complete or not.

for the residency history, are they wanting an essay? (bc of word count) or would a list with dates suffice?

II today. I am OOS (although my father did his fellowship here). I took casper on 7/8

This school has really good rankings, I wonder why the number of applicants is so few.

Probably cause it's vermont
Honestly tho. I know a lot of people who want to stay in a bigger city. The idea of schools like UVM doesnt always appeal because of the location. VT is fun from my experience but thats if you like the outdoors and the smaller "hometown" feel of the area.

I have completed my secondary for a while now but I have an AAMC Fee Waiver. However, there is no option for me to pay using my fee waiver and I can't submit my application without paying the fee. I have already emailed them a copy of my fee waiver twice (one probably a month ago and then again about 2 weeks ago). I called them and left a voicemail a little less than 2 weeks ago. I also sent an email through the communication portal on my secondary about 2 weeks ago. I keep calling every 2 days to talk to a real person but no one picks up.

Does anyone have any advice on anything else I can do?

I have completed my secondary for a while now but I have an AAMC Fee Waiver. However, there is no option for me to pay using my fee waiver and I can't submit my application without paying the fee. I have already emailed them a copy of my fee waiver twice (one probably a month ago and then again about 2 weeks ago). I called them and left a voicemail a little less than 2 weeks ago. I also sent an email through the communication portal on my secondary about 2 weeks ago. I keep calling every 2 days to talk to a real person but no one picks up.

Does anyone have any advice on anything else I can do?

I feel your pain. I was told to email after receiving the secondary so they could note in my file that my LOR's are acceptable. I have emailed them twice...no response. Not sure whether to keep waiting or just submit the secondary not knowing if a note was made in my file.

II Yesterday, IS, ~74 LM Verified 7/13, Submitted 7/19.

I've lived in Burlington for >5 years. I'm happy to answer any questions people have regarding life in VT, although I don't log in all too often.

So long as you don't mind long winters (mid Nov - late April), I think there are many ways to be happy here; especially if you love the outdoors. People are friendly and approachable and the community is very progressive.

Reactions: 1 users

I've lived in Burlington for >5 years. I'm happy to answer any questions people have regarding life in VT, although I don't log in all too often.

So long as you don't mind long winters (mid Nov - late April), I think there are many ways to be happy here; especially if you love the outdoors. People are friendly and approachable and the community is very progressive.
Location, social scene, and night life are very important factors to me when looking at different medical schools. It doesn't necessarily have to be a big city, I'm fine with something smaller like a small city or town, just as long as there is some presence of a social/night life and not completely isolated or deserted.

From what I've researched and heard about UVM, I'm very impressed with the medical school and very excited to be interviewing here soon. But I am a bit concerned about feeling bored, isolated, or "missing out" being in Burlington for four years of my youth. That being said, how is the social scene and night life in Burlington? Is there much to do in the downtown area (places to eat, coffee shops, bars/clubs, etc.)? Have you ever felt bored or isolated there? Just want some general input about life in Burlington. Thanks in advance for your time!

I like the outdoors; what are some notable areas to hike around Burlington?

Anyone with lower stats (LM <70) receive an II? I submitted early, and grew up in Vermont, so I am anxiously waiting to hear back from them

Anyone with lower stats (LM <70) receive an II? I submitted early, and grew up in Vermont, so I am anxiously waiting to hear back from them
You shouldn’t worry. the majority of IS applicabts get IIs

I'm not an IS applicant unfortunately. Moved away during high school

I would think you have an argument for having a connection to the state of Vermont, though obtaining residency for the public school I imagine would be difficult

II just now! First of the cycle for me. Low overall GPA, decent MCAT, non-trad, URM, reinventor.

Reactions: 5 users
Not sure complete date to be honest, submitted 8/14 but I don’t believe my Casper has been scored yet so I’m not sure how that played out.

Location, social scene, and night life are very important factors to me when looking at different medical schools. It doesn't necessarily have to be a big city, I'm fine with something smaller like a small city or town, just as long as there is some presence of a social/night life and not completely isolated or deserted.

From what I've researched and heard about UVM, I'm very impressed with the medical school and very excited to be interviewing here soon. But I am a bit concerned about feeling bored, isolated, or "missing out" being in Burlington for four years of my youth. That being said, how is the social scene and night life in Burlington? Is there much to do in the downtown area (places to eat, coffee shops, bars/clubs, etc.)? Have you ever felt bored or isolated there? Just want some general input about life in Burlington. Thanks in advance for your time!

The nightlife and social scene in Burlington are fantastic. There are great weekend crowds in the winter (skiing tourists from Boston, Montreal, NY), and the summer nights are incredible. On a nice night, there can be literally thousands of people walking around and enjoying the lake / mountains / energy of the town. There are lots of places to eat, drink, and socialize depending on what you are into, and tons of "local events" like the farmers market (very popular Saturday AM activity all summer) and local concert series. Burlington is consistently ranked as one of the best places to raise children and live as a young adult. I'm confident that if you make "getting out" a priority you will find no shortage of places to visit and people to meet. I have never once felt bored. The sheer length of the Winter can be isolating for some, but so long as you acquire a hobby like a winter sport, such as hiking / xc skiing / apline skiing / some organized indoor group activity, you will find friends and happiness!

"I like the outdoors; what are some notable areas to hike around Burlington?"

Camel's Hump and Mount Mansfield are the most popular options. The Green Mountain Club is a local organization that hosts hikes weekly to peaks throughout the county and VT. Some local outdoors shops do the same. The Adirondacks are ~2 hours west across the lake (endless great hiking), and the white mountains are ~2 hours east in NH (endless great hiking). You couldn't ask for a better hiking hub in the East.

Complete mid-July and nothing. I'm assuming they passed me.

II this morning as well! OOS, ORM, LizzyM 70-71. I was complete on 7/24!

So excited to interview, UVM seems to be an incredible school

Reactions: 2 users
Does UVM send a complete email? I received a complete email from all my CASPer schools on 8/17 and had my secondary in 8/6, but no email yet.

Does UVM send a complete email? I received a complete email from all my CASPer schools on 8/17 and had my secondary in 8/6, but no email yet.

I did not receive a complete email, just an email that my secondary was successfully submitted!

II today! OOS.