2018-2019 University of Iowa (Carver)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So is today going to be the day??? Has anyone heard anything yet?

I think it’s closer to 5PM!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
I hope!! Nothing yet, but checking constantly!

Last year's sdn thread reported that the decision status in the portal would change to "uploading decisions" which took a few hours and then were viewable at around 4:30-5pm central time.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Last year's sdn thread reported that the decision status in the portal would change to "uploading decisions" which took a few hours and then were viewable at around 4:30-5pm central time.
I love how on top of things we all are :laugh: Good luck to everyone, I REALLY hope today is the day! If not, atleast we should know by March 15 at the latest!!

Reactions: 1 users
This is how we all look using previous years’ threads to make these predictions lol!!

Attachments

• BF2C9C1F-D8CB-4CE4-A73B-FE98030C490C.png
    BF2C9C1F-D8CB-4CE4-A73B-FE98030C490C.png
    811.4 KB · Views: 106
Reactions: 5 users
See Iowa see! We can do group based work well!!

Accepted people: have y’all gotten financial aid info? Accepted in October but still haven’t heard anything

Also good luck to everyone hoping to hear back today!!

Accepted people: have y’all gotten financial aid info? Accepted in October but still haven’t heard anything

Also good luck to everyone hoping to hear back today!!
Accepted in November and just heard about financial aid a couple days ago. I'm sure you'll hear soon!

And good luck to everybody here today, I have my fingers crossed for you!

Today is the day that determines if I either go to medical school in the fall or retake the MCAT (not as high as I was hoping) haha. The other schools I am waiting on won't get back to me until May, which is way too late to gamble not retaking it. I am confident but I am also realistic. Here we go!

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
This is awesome, good luck to all you guys!!

I got a "rural" tab now but nothing else new

Accepted! Super thankful for this opportunity! II early January OOS.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Just got the email. Waitlist, IS top 10 --- I hope and think this will turn into an acceptance!?

Last edited by a moderator:
Just got the e-mail also. Waitlisted (Alternate list) OOS. Congrats to all those accepted!

Last edited:
alternate list, OS...anyone know if letter of interest can help?

Still waiting and super bummed. I hope they aren’t done uploading all the good news...congrats to those accepted!

alternate list, OS...anyone know if letter of interest can help?
At my interview day, they said they rank all applicants and then take the top x number they need to fill the accepted students, then the next person becomes waitlisted person #1. So our positions and fates have been decided.

accepted...1st one of the cycle... So relieved and grateful!

Reactions: 8 users
Portal updated, "decisions are being uploaded" Waiting waiting waiting!

Anyone else waiting for this portal to update??

for those accepted are you guys IS or OOS?
I'm OOS. II at end of October. Congrats to everyone!! To those of you WL - I will be praying for you every night! There was a lot of movement in past years so I am hopeful for you all! :)

Have you gotten an email? I didn't get an email about decisions being posted either.
Apparently they should upload close to 5pm or before, so I think we still have time. From what I gather, we will hear something either way!

Apparently they should upload close to 5pm or before, so I think we still have time. From what I gather, we will hear something either way!
5pm CST right? I am going to go get dinner and attempt to distract myself until 6 EST then... hoping for good news for us!

I know we are all figuring it out, but does anyone have an accurate number of IS alternate list movement from years prior?

From Jan 19
  1. iowaPT
    2+ Year Member

Final pooled as well. Just to clarify, final pool is not the same as waitlist, in the sense that in a waitlist, there are no spots available, and you are just waiting for someone to drop. My understanding is that Carver holds spots open specifically for final pool, so you still have a fair shot at acceptance (but also may be WL or R)
    Just to add some information. Final pool your application is reviewed a second time and given a score in several categories and then a total score. The following is a proposed list a categories from last years forum.

1) MCAT
    2) sGPA/cGPA
    3) Clinical Experience
    4) Interview
    5) Personal Statement/Secondaries
    6) Volunteering

After review in the final pool you have three possibilities
    1) Accepted
    2) Denial
    3) Waitlist: There are separate waitlists for both IS and OOS applicants. The IS is 50 spots and OOS is 100 spots. OOS waitlist spots seem to be strange in how many end up matriculating to CCOM and it has been as low as 4 and as high as 90 in years past. IS is a little more consistent, here’s the past few years:
    2017- 29 spots
    2016- 19 spots
    2015 - 31 spots
    2014 - 24 spots
    2013 - 28 spots
    2012 - 31 spots
    2011 - 24 spots

Rejected out of the final pool. OOS. Weird, I don't know why they would final pool me and then just reject me outright, but med school admissions is a mysterious business. I have my acceptances, I'm happy, but I would have loved at shot at this school. Good luck everyone!

Rejected out of the final pool. OOS. Weird, I don't know why they would final pool me and then just reject me outright, but med school admissions is a mysterious business. I have my acceptances, I'm happy, but I would have loved at shot at this school. Good luck everyone!

+1 for all you've said. I feel the same exact way.

Congrats on your other acceptances though!!