2018-2019 University of Iowa (Carver)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone know roughly when to expect award notifications? I submitted my FAFSA 10/15 and got my acceptance on 11/15.

Members don't see this ad :)
So, at this point is it safe to say that if we haven't received an acceptance that we are at best in the final pool, or awaiting WL or R? Does anyone know the timing of when these decisions come out?

So, at this point is it safe to say that if we haven't received an acceptance that we are at best in the final pool, or awaiting WL or R? Does anyone know the timing of when these decisions come out?

According to my application page under FAQ, we will be notified if we are on the final pool. I think we have at least one more week before the final pool is formed if we haven’t heard anything today.

Looking back at last year's thread, they found out the Wednesday of this week if they were final pooled. Tomorrow could be the big day.

Wouldn’t it make sense to final pool everyone after the last interview date which is Jan 26?

Reactions: 1 user
I interviewed earlier in the month and they seem to indicate that our group would still be considered for rolling admissions

Members don't see this ad :)
Finally got that R--it's peace of mind at this point, really. Good luck all and congrats to those accepted!

Wouldn’t it make sense to final pool everyone after the last interview date which is Jan 26?
I’d like to believe that everyone interviewing in January is still considered for rolling admission. Their website does indicate that rolling admission ends in January (didnt specify the specific date), so hopefully rolling admission ends with the last interview date.

Is CCOM still sending out II's if the last interview day is 1/26? Since I haven't heard anything yet I'm expecting that pre-II R, but maybe there's still hope?

Have they started sending out acceptances to students who interviewed in December?

Have they started sending out acceptances to students who interviewed in December?

I am wondering the same! I interviewed the first week of December and haven’t heard anything.
The process isn't chronological, so there's no set time when applicants hear back. Some of us that interviewed back in October are still waiting to hear.

Reactions: 2 users
For those who have interviewed, any idea on how to prepare for the interview? I know it’s closed file so besides knowing your app well and going through previous year’s questions, is there anything else I should do to prepare? Thanks

For those who have interviewed, any idea on how to prepare for the interview? I know it’s closed file so besides knowing your app well and going through previous year’s questions, is there anything else I should do to prepare? Thanks

Just read the interview feedbck tab in SDN and try to write out some bullet points of things you really want to highlight during the interview. Let yourself SHINE

Just read the interview feedbck tab in SDN and try to write out some bullet points of things you really want to highlight during the interview. Let yourself SHINE
Thanks! I have been reading the feedback n prepared myself accordingly, just thought theres more to it. Really excited to learn more about this school on interview day!

Final pooled just now. OOS, interviewed 10/19. Not terrible news, just need to wait a few more weeks!

Reactions: 1 users
Just received the Final Pool e-mail. Interviewed 11/12. Fingers crossed and prayers up! Hopefully my next email from them will be an offer of acceptance :yawn:

Final pool. Interviewed early Jan.

Does anyone have any idea how long they take on final pool decisions? Do they take the full 5 weeks they state, or do they come sooner than that?

Final pooled also! Congrats to all! Any recommendations of what updates to add to the application? I am currently in a gap year and am working as a medical scribe ...

Does anyone have any idea how long they take on final pool decisions? Do they take the full 5 weeks they state, or do they come sooner than that?
I was final pooled last year, and I from them the first week of March.
I was final pooled last year, and everybody in the pool heard back the first week of March. I think latest they will notify is March 15.

All aboard the final pool hype train!!! Here's to waiting even more! Tbh, I knew this was coming just happy to have it confirmed. Until March my friends.

So, I was just final pooled, but I have an acceptance to another medical school. I really liked Carver, but I am considering withdrawing. However, I only want to do this if the benefit to someone else will outweigh the cost to myself. Should I just keep myself in contention? I would be happy at the other school.

I was final pooled last year, and I from them the first week of March.

I was final pooled last year, and everybody in the pool heard back the first week of March. I think latest they will notify is March 15.
Just looked over last years thread and it looks like final pool decisions went out on 3/6 at the end of the day. So, maybe 3/5 this year? The wait continues!

I also got the final pool email. Can someone clarify what this means? Does this mean the decision is now between WL and R and that we didn't make the cut for an acceptance during the first round of review? Are there still seats available now or are we all looking at a WL position?

Final pooled as well. Just to clarify, final pool is not the same as waitlist, in the sense that in a waitlist, there are no spots available, and you are just waiting for someone to drop. My understanding is that Carver holds spots open specifically for final pool, so you still have a fair shot at acceptance (but also may be WL or R)

Also final pooled today. I think they still accept some IS students, but not sure about OOS. I want to say they have accepted 60 of the IS students already, and will accept 40 more from the final pool

Does anyone know whether those who interviewed/will interview in mid and late Jan. will be automatically final pooled?

Does anyone know what it means if you don't get the final pool email?

So, I was just final pooled, but I have an acceptance to another medical school. I really liked Carver, but I am considering withdrawing. However, I only want to do this if the benefit to someone else will outweigh the cost to myself. Should I just keep myself in contention? I would be happy at the other school.
If you got into Carver also, would you still attend the other school? I feel that it is best practice to withdraw all applications if you got into a school you are positive you will go to, in order to make the process just a little easier for adcoms and other applicants. If you aren’t sure whether you prefer Carver or the other school, I wouldn’t suggest withdrawing and unnecessarily limiting yourself.
However, if you’re not really interested in Carver but decide not to withdraw (knowing that you won’t go to Carver), someone else will see that they’re waitlisted rather than accepted. I guess the most good that withdrawing would do is expedite when someone else may get an acceptance decision.

Does anyone know whether those who interviewed/will interview in mid and late Jan. will be automatically final pooled?
Everyone will be final pooled moving forward. Rolling admissions has concluded.

Final pooled as well. A little upset but it’s nit a rejection.

Any guesses at just how many they place into the final pool?

Any guesses at just how many they place into the final pool?

For IS my best guess is 300-400 total IS applicants.
Maybe 10% of the IS applicants get R without an interview (30-40 students)
60 IS students accepted via rolling admission in the fall which leaves

400 total applicants -30 R students without an interview -60 students accepted in the fall = 310 students
300 total applicants - 40 R students without an interview -60 students accepted in the fall = 200

Between 310-200 IS students in the IS final pool for the remaining 40 spots.

Last edited:
For IS my best guess is 300-400 total IS applicants.
Maybe 10% of the IS applicants get R without an interview (30-40 students)
60 IS students accepted via rolling admission in the fall which leaves

400 total applicants -30 R students without an interview -60 students accepted in the fall = 310 students
300 total applicants - 40 R students without an interview -60 students accepted in the fall = 200

Between 310-200 IS students in the IS final pool for the remaining 40 spots.
any ideas about OOS?

Haha well glad to see the action in here... I too was final pooled today.

Will applicants in the final pool receive a more in depth review? i.e., multiple readers for letters of recommendation, lengthier survey of experiences, more consideration towards interview comments? To me, it would be intuitive for the initial accepted applicants to have the high stats, while the remainder have "good enough" stats with a higher need for analysis.

Just my perspective. Thoughts?