2018-2019 University of Iowa (Carver)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone interviewed got a travel voucher? Just wondering if this has any significance.

Members don't see this ad.

Will applicants in the final pool receive a more in depth review? i.e., multiple readers for letters of recommendation, lengthier survey of experiences, more consideration towards interview comments? To me, it would be intuitive for the initial accepted applicants to have the high stats, while the remainder have "good enough" stats with a higher need for analysis.

Just my perspective. Thoughts?

It's pretty scary to think they reviewed your application yet you still weren't good enough to get an acceptance. I interviewed in late December, so I'm hoping my application wasn't even reviewed between now and then, but still, the question remains. I have read that 2/3 of their class comes from the final pool, but it seems like the final pool is more of an up battle than rolling admissions. They might do a deeper analysis of our apps, but now we are literally being ranked against one another as I do not think is the case for rolling admissions.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Final pooled as well. Just to clarify, final pool is not the same as waitlist, in the sense that in a waitlist, there are no spots available, and you are just waiting for someone to drop. My understanding is that Carver holds spots open specifically for final pool, so you still have a fair shot at acceptance (but also may be WL or R)

Just to add some information. Final pool your application is reviewed a second time and given a score in several categories and then a total score. The following is a proposed list a categories from last years forum.

1) MCAT
2) sGPA/cGPA
3) Clinical Experience
4) Interview
5) Personal Statement/Secondaries
6) Volunteering

After review in the final pool you have three possibilities
1) Accepted
2) Denial
3) Waitlist: There are separate waitlists for both IS and OOS applicants. The IS is 50 spots and OOS is 100 spots. OOS waitlist spots seem to be strange in how many end up matriculating to CCOM and it has been as low as 4 and as high as 90 in years past. IS is a little more consistent, here’s the past few years:
2017- 29 spots
2016- 19 spots
2015 - 31 spots
2014 - 24 spots
2013 - 28 spots
2012 - 31 spots
2011 - 24 spots

Reactions: 4 users
I think these are based on your demographics and socioeconomic status, no correlation with the acceptance process
If that’s the case, I love Carver even more. Really looking forward to March and some good news.

If that’s the case, I love Carver even more. Really looking forward to March and some good news.
Can confirm, travel vouchers of varying amounts are given to students from disadvantaged backgrounds, out of state, and underrepresented in medicine.

Just to add some information. Final pool your application is reviewed a second time and given a score in several categories and then a total score. The following is a proposed list a categories from last years forum.

1) MCAT
2) sGPA/cGPA
3) Clinical Experience
4) Interview
5) Personal Statement/Secondaries
6) Volunteering

After review in the final pool you have three possibilities
1) Accepted
2) Denial
3) Waitlist: There are separate waitlists for both IS and OOS applicants. The IS is 50 spots and OOS is 100 spots. OOS waitlist spots seem to be strange in how many end up matriculating to CCOM and it has been as low as 4 and as high as 90 in years past. IS is a little more consistent, here’s the past few years:
2017- 29 spots
2016- 19 spots
2015 - 31 spots
2014 - 24 spots
2013 - 28 spots
2012 - 31 spots
2011 - 24 spots

Interesting that LORs aren't considered too o_O:meh:

Potentially driving from Des Moines airport late at night and possibly in the snow as well. Anyone have better recommendations?

Can confirm, travel vouchers of varying amounts are given to students from disadvantaged backgrounds, out of state, and underrepresented in medicine.
Any possibility we could ask for one? Contemplating cancelling my II just because I cannot afford these travel expenses.

Any possibility we could ask for one? Contemplating cancelling my II just because I cannot afford these travel expenses.

In your case I would probably ask them the question if really interested in interviewing with them.

Members don't see this ad :)
R today, complete 8/24. Really disappointed and frustrated!

Anyone have an idea of how many OOS applicants are accepted from the final pool (on average)?

Reactions: 4 users
Does any one know if submitting an LOI is viewed positively. I don't really have anymore significant updates...but want them to know how much I love the school

Does any one know if submitting an LOI is viewed positively. I don't really have anymore significant updates...but want them to know how much I love the school

Under the application update tab they say do NOT submit letters of intent or letters of recommendation in big red letters; so I assume no. And today is that last day to add updates to your application I think. In one of my updates I added a short paragraph on the end that explained how much I loved the school. I don't know if that was a good idea or not though...

And so the wait begins... how’s everyone feeling in this process?

Reactions: 2 users
I feel all this on a spiritual level. I just need one acceptance just one and I can be happy

Reactions: 3 users
For all the pre-II rejection people out there (I myself am one), I highly recommend taking advantage of the feedback appointments that Carver offers. My conversation with the assistant Dean of Admissions was VERY insightful; not a lot of schools offer this service to applicants who don't receive an interview! What I gathered from our conversation:
1) Although I have 200+ volunteering hours in a hospital, Carver wanted to see more diversity in my volunteering experience (both clinical and non-clinical).
2) I have an institutional action from my freshman year in college, and the committee wanted to see more reflection on that event from me, rather than just a factual report. She mentioned a lot of students with institutional actions apply/receive II/matriculate, but being reflective and self-aware in your explanation of the event in the AMCAS is what the committee really looks for. (This, in my opinion, seemed to be pretty BS, as my institutional action was a drinking violation [I was 18, c'mon] and it clearly didn't affect my preparedness for med school in any way... I didn't feel it necessary to elaborate on "what I learned from the event".... whatever o_O)
3) As an OOS applicant, my 513 MCAT falls into the "good/great" category, rather than the "great/excellent" category. However, I am not planning to re-take this beast, lol. I'm happy with my score!

All in all, this feedback appointment was SUPER helpful and I highly recommend both pre-II rejects and post-II rejects take advantage; you'll learn EXACTLY what you can improve for the next cycle! The fact that I had such a great experience with the staff at Carver gets me excited to reapply. :)

Reactions: 1 users
With each pssing day I’m more convinced I’m going to have to make one of those calls. My MCAT is only a few points higher, I’m also OOS, and I definitely don’t have as much volunteering! :( Waiting for our doomsday will really put a damper on my spring break.

If you got into Carver also, would you still attend the other school? I feel that it is best practice to withdraw all applications if you got into a school you are positive you will go to, in order to make the process just a little easier for adcoms and other applicants. If you aren’t sure whether you prefer Carver or the other school, I wouldn’t suggest withdrawing and unnecessarily limiting yourself.
However, if you’re not really interested in Carver but decide not to withdraw (knowing that you won’t go to Carver), someone else will see that they’re waitlisted rather than accepted. I guess the most good that withdrawing would do is expedite when someone else may get an acceptance decision.

Just withdrew today. Good luck to whomever gets to join the final pool.

Anyone that’s accepted received an award letter yet?

There’s a link now that takes me to a letter but I see no aid, not even including loans even though I filled out FAFSA. Also, I never received an email that it’s ready.

It’s just weird because just yesterday the link to an award letter popped up.

There’s a link now that takes me to a letter but I see no aid, not even including loans even though I filled out FAFSA. Also, I never received an email that it’s ready.

I received email correspondence in December regarding a scholarship and received an official letter in January. Can give the details in a PM for anyone who might be interested.

+1, I also received an email notifying me of my scholarship in December but I haven't heard anything about need-based grants yet. You should definitely email the financial aid or admissions office and ask, since you have to accept/reject the scholarship offer by the end of April!

I received email correspondence in December regarding a scholarship and received an official letter in January. Can give the details in a PM for anyone who might be interested.
I'm very interested to hear! If you dont mind

Currently dying knowing that, according to last year’s thread, next Wednesday is very likely to be the day...

Currently dying knowing that, according to last year’s thread, next Wednesday is very likely to be the day...
Omg, I had a dream I sat down with the dean to go over the scores they had given me for each category they considered for admission- not very good lol. Unfortunately I didnt get to see the outcome of that meeting.

Omg, I had a dream I sat down with the dean to go over the scores they had given me for each category they considered for admission- not very good lol. Unfortunately I didnt get to see the outcome of that meeting.
I had so many interesting dreams before the interview haha. I have no idea how to feel at this point. I am going on a spring break trip next week, and I know I won't be able to relax and enjoy it, so I'm torn between really wanting to know and really not wanting to know. I am rooting for you, though...here's to hoping you won't have anything but a good result from that fictional meeting!

I had so many interesting dreams before the interview haha. I have no idea how to feel at this point. I am going on a spring break trip next week, and I know I won't be able to relax and enjoy it, so I'm torn between really wanting to know and really not wanting to know. I am rooting for you, though...here's to hoping you won't have anything but a good result from that fictional meeting!

Haha, thanks! I had that dream about 3 weeks ago. It was interesting to say the least. Hopefully, it all ends well for the both of us. I really love this school and could see myself really happy there- probably same goes for everyone else who is also waiting lol. 1 more week to go. Hang in there everyone!

This week is the week! Waiting game will hopefully come to an end...in a good way :)

Reactions: 5 users
What are all of the possible decisions? Do they reject this early or just waitlist everyone?

Don’t call and ask what day decisions are coming, don’t call and ask what day decisions are coming :confused:

Reactions: 3 users
What are all of the possible decisions? Do they reject this early or just waitlist everyone?
based on last year's thread, it looks like they do reject quite a bit first, and then waitlist with a few acceptances sprinkled in

This week is the week! Waiting game will hopefully come to an end...in a good way :)
Hopefully Tuesday! Seems like in past forums, two Tuesdays before 3/15 seemed to be the day. Some people are saying Wednesday. Apparently decisions are uploaded to portals and emails are sent out. I have noticed CCOM's portal can update much sooner than emails get to you (my interview invite came through on a Sat. morning via portal, but the official email arrived midday Monday). So, I'll be checking the portal regularly! Good luck to those in the final pool!

Reactions: 8 users
So is today going to be the day??? Has anyone heard anything yet?