2019-2020 Cincinnati

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
As a student here can you get by without a car?

Members don't see this ad.

How did you hear back? Just in the portal?
phone call, followed by an email telling me to check the portal. same way they deliver admissions decisions!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
As a student here can you get by without a car?

First and second year, yes but it won’t be convenient and you’ll need to live within walking distance of the medical campus. I wouldn’t recommend it though. Also, if you’re coming from a city with good public transport...Cincinnati ain’t like that.

Some of the MSSP (cardiovascular comes to mind) are more competitive than others (e.g. nutrition). Even if you don't get into one, there are tons of research opportunities available and people usually have to decide between what labs they want to join since there is so much going on at UC and CCHMC.
Hello, any current students able to speak about MSSP? I imagine it is pretty competitive but seems like a really great opportunity for someone if they have a strong idea of the specialty their interested in...

More specifically I'm wondering if prior research experience is necessary to get accepted, since that's one thing I'm sorely lacking. Interested in Peds or Psych if that makes any difference

The broader concern would be if you want want funding and also do research on a very specific/niche area.

Is there some sort of application for merit aid? I've been accepted since 10/15, just want to make sure I haven't missed anything

Is there some sort of application for merit aid? I've been accepted since 10/15, just want to make sure I haven't missed anything
No, on the website it says everyone who is accepted is considered

For those that have interviewed, how many applicants were there at interview day?

The broader concern would be if you want want funding and also do research on a very specific/niche area.

why would this be a concern? Is there a lack of funding for research at Cinci or areas of research not well represented? I heard research at Cinci was pretty ok?

why would this be a concern? Is there a lack of funding for research at Cinci or areas of research not well represented? I heard research at Cinci was pretty ok?
There are dozens of types of funding at UC depending on what area you want to go into. But if you want good funding to study one particular protein, 1) the research may not exist and 2) the research may exist but not covered by funding. The RIRC or office of research will help you find and apply outside of UC however if you want to spend your summer elsewhere to study that protein.

Members don't see this ad :)
@UnknownObi if you just interviewed you don't need to send updates right away but maybe keep it in mind and think of things you can update them with and try to do it within the month (before decisions).

I interviewed Dec 18th and only updated last week once i had sem grades

But yes, def update them, even if it ends up being mostly an interest letter

Anyone who interviewed recently remember if they said to send a thank you email ? Also , I feel like they stressed to send updates afterwards , but don’t really have anything significant Any advice ?
You can always update them on how much you loved the school and express thanks. I did this and got the A. Probably cause of my good looks though.

Anyone who interviewed recently remember if they said to send a thank you email ? Also , I feel like they stressed to send updates afterwards , but don’t really have anything significant Any advice ?

When I interviewed, they said to upload thank you letters to the portal

How many weeks after interview did people start to hear back?

at our Dec 18th interview day they said to expect calls today but I was wondering what a more realistic date would be so I can stop checking my call log/email all day lmao

How many weeks after interview did people start to hear back?

at our Dec 18th interview day they said to expect calls today but I was wondering what a more realistic date would be so I can stop checking my call log/email all day lmao
I got my call at about 12:30 pm est so it might still be today.

Just got the R, OOS applicant, interviewed late December. Rip, Good luck to everyone still in the running.

Just called the admissions office. If you haven't received an II that is a rejection. They are done for the cycle. :/

• Sad
Reactions: 3 users
people who were accepted, did you get an email or call first? i am waiting to hear back this week and im nervous/excited

Just got an email...waitlisted. Good luck to everyone still waiting to hear back! :)

Just called the admissions office. If you haven't received an II that is a rejection. They are done for the cycle. :/
If this is true then my cycle is over. Cinci would’ve been the only school to sway me from my current acceptance.

people who were accepted, did you get an email or call first? i am waiting to hear back this week and im nervous/excited

Phone call around noon before email for me. But I’ve seen in this thread where it was flipped for others

Has anyone gotten off the waitlist yet? or have any information on if that is likely this cycle?

Thanks for taking one for the team and calling! Looks like there is no love from Ohio for me, lol.

Has anyone gotten off the waitlist yet? or have any information on if that is likely this cycle?
don't think they'll do any waitlist movement until after the PTE deadline (4/30) and they know how many more students they need to fill the class. no way of knowing right now, even for the school, let alone the applicants lol

Any advice on how to word an interest letter ? Definitely a top choice for me , loved it here. Semester grades slipped a bit so don’t want to update on that , maybe a new non clinical job I got ?
I just sent a short "Thank you for the opportunity to learn more about the school, I really enjoyed (specific aspects of UC, the vibe from medcats, etc.)" and said a little update I had. you could also go into depth with things that you feel would be a good fit to your goals/interests. And if it's mostly a letter expressing interest, I don't think it would hurt to include dropping a line about a new job.

@UnknownObi rip they did specifically mention wanting any new grades so unless they are super low I would update on that!
But def also include the clinical job and for interest I literally just said that this was my top choice and if accepted I would come. If you wanted though you could include specific things that make it your top choice.

got phone call A tonight!! loved this school

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Anyone know when second look is going to be? Haven't seen any updates.

Why do they not contact for rejections? Seems a bit rude when you spend time and money completing applications etc........ I've had zero contact with them since submitting my application in August.

Reactions: 4 users
Was curious if any current students can comment on the most common places to live, like apartment complexes where other students are likely to be?

Reactions: 1 users
I am going to miss looking at that beautiful portal. So long, Cincinnati.

Got the R I knew was coming.
That’s it folks, it’s over for me. Going to my second choice! Good luck everyone, in whatever endeavors the future holds!

Just rejected pre-II, complete 7/27

Got the R, as expected. Peace out Cinci

• Sad