2018-2019 University of California - Davis

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For the activities section, if I selected 3 most significant activities on my primary, but instead want to switch out 1/3 and write about an activity I did not classify as being significant, can we do that? Or do they want us to keep the same 3 we put on the primary on the secondary? I wrote about tutoring as 1/3 most significant, but want to expand more on my volunteer experience at a clinic instead since it relates to my decision to do medicine.

For the activities section, if I selected 3 most significant activities on my primary, but instead want to switch out 1/3 and write about an activity I did not classify as being significant, can we do that? Or do they want us to keep the same 3 we put on the primary on the secondary? I wrote about tutoring as 1/3 most significant, but want to expand more on my volunteer experience at a clinic instead since it relates to my decision to do medicine.
I did the exact same thing where I switched one for another experience. I don't know what the right answer is for sure, but for me, I chose to do it because I wanted to tailor my answers to the application.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Did anyone (IS) NOT receive a secondary?

Reactions: 5 users
Prompts are same as last year's, but activity descriptions have been shortened to 500 characters instead of 750: You will have 30 calendar days to complete the secondary application from the day you received the Secondary Application request. The 30 calendar day deadline does not include the letters of recommendation.

Essay Questions Section
1. Discuss any elements of your application that you feel might be concerning to the Admissions Committee.
2. Do you have a connection to Northern or Central California? (Yes or No)
3. If you answered 'yes' to having a connection to Northern or Central California, please explain below. If you answered 'no' type 'not applicable'.

Experiences Section
At UC Davis School of Medicine we realize that each applicant brings diversity and perspective from a broad range of experiences. In this section we give you the opportunity to describe in detail the 3 extracurricular activities or experiences that have been most influential in leading you to a career in medicine. We realize that many applicants have identified key experiences in the main application. However, some do not and others identify less than 3. We apologize for any redundancy - feel free to reproduce the comments from your Primary application and expand on them as appropriate.

Interview Feedback: University of California Davis School of Medicine

Are these all of the questions for the secondary application?

Been lurking on sdn for years finally decided to just make an account and post. I'm OOS and got a secondary and tbh im really surprised given what i've now read from diff threads. I don't know much about the UCs at all (im from florida) or how much this really means. I applied to a lot of schools bc I felt like my app wasn't the strongest (actually). Anyone know if i should just write this off as them wanting to collect $$ ? i feel like thats what so many schools do nowadays and if i rlly have no chance given OOS status i could use that app fee on another school w even the slightest better chances

Been lurking on sdn for years finally decided to just make an account and post. I'm OOS and got a secondary and tbh im really surprised given what i've now read from diff threads. I don't know much about the UCs at all (im from florida) or how much this really means. I applied to a lot of schools bc I felt like my app wasn't the strongest (actually). Anyone know if i should just write this off as them wanting to collect $$ ? i feel like thats what so many schools do nowadays and if i rlly have no chance given OOS status i could use that app fee on another school w even the slightest better chances
You should submit your secondary if you got it! They screen pretty heavily and they at least have some interest in you. Even if chances are slim, you don't want to regret not submitting.

Did anyone (IS) NOT receive a secondary?

LM 76, went to UC Davis as undergrad, NorCal resident my entire life, strong connection to their student-run clinics ... still no secondary :( maybe they'll send another batch out on Monday.

LM 76, went to UC Davis as undergrad, NorCal resident my entire life, strong connection to their student-run clinics ... still no secondary :( maybe they'll send another batch out on Monday.
I'm in almost the same boat as you... LM 72, UC Davis undergrad, born/raised in norcal, leadership in thier SRC's. Verified mid June.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm interested to see how they send out the secondaries, I'm assuming it may be more about fit than stats? I received a secondary last week with the first batch but all you others posting who have not received a secondary have much higher LizzyM than me. just goes to show how random this process is

I'm interested to see how they send out the secondaries, I'm assuming it may be more about fit than stats? I received a secondary last week with the first batch but all you others posting who have not received a secondary have much higher LizzyM than me. just goes to show how random this process is
I have the fit and the numbers I'm just waaaaaaaiiiiting

Hi, does anyone know when Davis will begin sending out interview invites/if they already did? Also, do people get an email saying that they are completed?

If Davis decides to not send you a secondary, will they tell you that, or will you just never hear from them?

If Davis decides to not send you a secondary, will they tell you that, or will you just never hear from them?

you'll get rejected in a couple of months/weeks.

I got rejected in Jan last year w/o a secondary.

I recently called and apparently they're dealing with delays due to software issues. Hang in there everyone!

Reactions: 6 users
for anyone not complete b/c of the fee waiver, I emailed them and they said they are working on it and to check again next week

Hi, does anyone know when Davis will begin sending out interview invites/if they already did? Also, do people get an email saying that they are completed?
hi! i called them just now to check on the software issue and they told me they have not started reviewing applications for interviews yet, so we just have to wait a little longer!

Reactions: 1 users
for the connection to Norcal question, do they want it be short and sweet, like just saying I lived in Norcal my whole life, or do they want me to talk about why I love Norcal?? Lol

for the connection to Norcal question, do they want it be short and sweet, like just saying I lived in Norcal my whole life, or do they want me to talk about why I love Norcal?? Lol
why not add the why you love Norcal if you can haha. i talked about why i like being here as opposed to somewhere else

Prompts are same as last year's, but activity descriptions have been shortened to 500 characters instead of 750: You will have 30 calendar days to complete the secondary application from the day you received the Secondary Application request. The 30 calendar day deadline does not include the letters of recommendation.

Essay Questions Section
1. Discuss any elements of your application that you feel might be concerning to the Admissions Committee.
2. Do you have a connection to Northern or Central California? (Yes or No)
3. If you answered 'yes' to having a connection to Northern or Central California, please explain below. If you answered 'no' type 'not applicable'.

Experiences Section
At UC Davis School of Medicine we realize that each applicant brings diversity and perspective from a broad range of experiences. In this section we give you the opportunity to describe in detail the 3 extracurricular activities or experiences that have been most influential in leading you to a career in medicine. We realize that many applicants have identified key experiences in the main application. However, some do not and others identify less than 3. We apologize for any redundancy - feel free to reproduce the comments from your Primary application and expand on them as appropriate.

Interview Feedback: University of California Davis School of Medicine

How many characters do we get for the experiences section? Thanks!!

For the prerequisites section, are we supposed to convert our semester hours to quarter units and report the quarter units for each class?

which one
@gyngyn Prompts are same as last year's, but activity descriptions have been shortened to 500 characters instead of 750.
Activity descriptions have been shortened to 500 characters.

Thanks! Do you have the prompt for special tracks? I can't find the one for TEACH-PRIME and RURAL-PRIME anywhere, thanks!!!!

I'm IS and received a secondary a while ago. surprised I did because my LM is in the 60s.. Still grateful as heck though!

Still waiting on a secondary too.....should I give up hope?

Still waiting on a secondary too.....should I give up hope?
Many people haven't received secondaries yet. I've heard from other posters that UC Davis is having software problems and is behind schedule.

Reactions: 1 users
lololol idk whats the hold up. like schools shouldn't have any problems with this. just get the CS department to fix any problems and lets go
UC Davis screens heavily before they send secondaries. According to other UCs, it is based on a combination of a third-party algorithm of stats and admissions review to handpick students (I assume UC Davis does something similar). But yea, many people won't get secondaries so the waiting game sucks.

What does Davis consider as Norcal? Do they specify?

What does Davis consider as Norcal? Do they specify?

I believe anywhere around the bay area is considered norcal "generally." However, I think for you to have a significant advantage you have to have ties to the davis/sacramento area. There are thousands of people applying from "northern california."

Dang they must be really backed up. I was verified June 22nd so maybe there is still hope for me. I'm IS with Norcal ties
I got verified around the same time as you, LizzyM 66-68 (no idea what they screen for)

Secondary today. LM 65 really strong UC Davis and area ties

Can I just say I hate it when schools ask us to write activity descriptions when we already wrote them in amcas? (I'm applying to 50ish schools so I am very cranky at this point)

Reactions: 3 users
No idea but I lived an hour away from Sac from 0-18
I would be worried as an OOS in general. But it’s too early to tell anything. I’m regional with similar stats and no secondary.

Similar stats to both of you, 1hr away from Sac born and raised. +1 secondary today.

Also, hey man.

UC Davis has REACH-PRIME for the Central Valley. I would assume that they would include anywhere in the valley, the Sierras, the Bay and up as NorCal. Given their involvement throughout the valley, I don't think it's limited to Davis/Sacramento.

ALSO, the links on the first page work if you delete "teamsite" from the URL. I'm not sure why that's happening...