2018-2019 Rutgers New Jersey Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
thank you! what are the eligibility requirements for the Dean's Scholarship?

There are no specific eligibility requirements. It's a combination of grades and scores (though there's not cutoff point), service, research, etc. Sorry I can't give you more specifics but they really do consider everyone holistically for the dean's scholarship.

If you never got an email or a packet with information about tuition and financial aid definitely reach out to the financial aid office. They're really helpful and can walk you through everything.

Members don't see this ad.

There are no specific eligibility requirements. It's a combination of grades and scores (though there's not cutoff point), service, research, etc. Sorry I can't give you more specifics but they really do consider everyone holistically for the dean's scholarship.

If you never got an email or a packet with information about tuition and financial aid definitely reach out to the financial aid office. They're really helpful and can walk you through everything.

Do you have to have FAFSA filled out in order to be eligible for the dean's scholarship?

Last edited:
Do you have FAFSA filled out in order to be eligible for the dean's scholarship?

As far as I know, you don't have to. I'm pretty sure I hadn't gotten my act together with FAFSA yet when I got the call that I received a scholarship. But again, definitely talk to either admissions or the financial aid office to get a definitive answer to that since I'm not completely sure.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
As far as I know, you don't have to. I'm pretty sure I hadn't gotten my act together with FAFSA yet when I got the call that I received a scholarship. But again, definitely talk to either admissions or the financial aid office to get a definitive answer to that since I'm not completely sure.
Thank you so much for all ur help! Do you know how many people get the scholarship?

Thank you so much for all ur help! Do you know how many people get the scholarship?
No problem! You guys can feel free to ask any other questions you want either here or through DM. I'm an M2 and I work a lot with admissions and student interviewing so I can probably answer most questions relating to that stuff.

The number of people who get dean's scholarships might vary from year to year. I know there is at least one scholarship for 25% of tuition, one for 50% and one for 100% of tuition. There are also other scholarships that are offered to people through the humanism department and then tons of others that you can apply for once you start med school. The student affairs office is great about sending out emails about pretty much every scholarship we can apply for.

No problem! You guys can feel free to ask any other questions you want either here or through DM. I'm an M2 and I work a lot with admissions and student interviewing so I can probably answer most questions relating to that stuff.

The number of people who get dean's scholarships might vary from year to year. I know there is at least one scholarship for 25% of tuition, one for 50% and one for 100% of tuition. There are also other scholarships that are offered to people through the humanism department and then tons of others that you can apply for once you start med school. The student affairs office is great about sending out emails about pretty much every scholarship we can apply for.
Do ED applicants get these scholarships too, or are they mainly for RD applicants?

Is it common for this school to ask for a follow up interview? Kinda worried

Does anyone know how much waitlist movement there has been in previous years? Tried to find some information but couldn't find much. Thanks!

Reactions: 2 users
Looks like in May they took few off HPWL.. but not off just waitlist.. Go to last years threads.

Members don't see this ad :)
Doesn’t seem like there’s a HPWL this year though right?

do you mean priority waitlist or high priority waitlist? i dont believe this is a High priority waitlist this year (although there is a priority one)
Yeah you’re righ just t priority I apologize for that should’ve checked before I replied

Reactions: 3 users
Just put on alternate list. Can anyone paste what the priority email says?

Reactions: 1 users
II today, blindsided the **** outta me. Complete late August, OOS LM 70, sent an update like a month ago.

"The NJMS Admissions Committee has reviewed your application. Unfortunately, at this time we are not able to offer you an acceptance. You have been placed on our Priority Alternate List. This means that you will be among the first group of students reviewed by the admissions committee should seats become available in the entering class.

Please be advised that our review of the Priority Alternate List does not begin until after the beginning of May 2019. Should an opportunity arise before then we will notify you immediately."

Hey guys, at this point, is interviewing just for the waitlist? And any tips for the interview? It's on tuesday for mee

just accepted via phone call at 9:00 on a sunday but super excited, oos but offered IS tuition

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
What do you guys think of the 3 year accelerated MD program for primary care? It's interesting. I forsee this becoming a more common program at more schools.

Does anyone know if people get in off of the alternate list? I checked last years thread and it seems that people from only the high priority waitlist get in.

are they still sending IIs?

Reactions: 2 users
Did anyone get acceptances lately? Also how long after the interview does it take to hear back?

Is it acceptable to send a pre-interview letter of interest here? Im IS and have had radio silence ever since I submitted in August.

Is it acceptable to send a pre-interview letter of interest here? Im IS and have had radio silence ever since I submitted in August.
Yes! The admissions committee will read them and add them to your file. Obviously no guarantee that it will help but it definitely won't hurt you and may help you get some attention.

are they still sending IIs?

This was asked at the virtual med school fair today and a rep said "We are almost at the end of our screening process. We will continue to screen through the end of February and expect to be done with interviews by end of March."

Still hopeful!

What is the difference between the high priority waitlist, priority waitlist, and priority alternate list? I was placed in the priority alternate list just now.

What is the difference between the high priority waitlist, priority waitlist, and priority alternate list? I was placed in the priority alternate list just now.

People were just calling it different things. There’s only a priority alternate and an alternate list. Priority applications are reviewed before the regular alternate list ones are.

The NJMS Admissions Committee has reviewed your application. Unfortunately, at this time we are not able to offer you an acceptance. You have been placed on our Priority Alternate List. This means that you will be among the first group of students reviewed by the admissions committee should seats become available in the entering class.

Please be advised that our review of the Priority Alternate List does not begin until after the beginning of May 2019. Should an opportunity arise before then we will notify you immediately. In the meantime, please feel free to send us any updates you would like included in your file via email to: [email protected].

I interviewed here back in mid-October and had not heard a peep from admissions at all. I even reached out 3 times with a letter of intent, and twice reaching out to admissions over X-mas break with them saying that I should get my decision soon...

Fast forward to today, I get and email saying I’m on the priority alternate list...now, let me just say that out of all the schools I interviewed at (8), I thought my NJMS interview went the best...very conversational, connected to the interviewer, and overall great vibe from my interviewer. I also happen to know someone from admissions which may or may not mean anything... anyways, the “choose your medical school tool” went live on February 19, and I selected a school I’ve already been accepted to in the “plan to enroll school” option...now, 3 days later, I “FINALLY” get a decisions of waitlisted from NJMS after almost exactly 4 months of radio silence...this to me is highly suspicious and I’m beginning to wonder that this new AAMC tool is more incriminating than helpful to students...

Anyone else have a similarly suspicious experience with this or any other school?

I interviewed here back in mid-October and had not heard a peep from admissions at all. I even reached out 3 times with a letter of intent, and twice reaching out to admissions over X-mas break with them saying that I should get my decision soon...

Fast forward to today, I get and email saying I’m on the priority alternate list...now, let me just say that out of all the schools I interviewed at (8), I thought my NJMS interview went the best...very conversational, connected to the interviewer, and overall great vibe from my interviewer. I also happen to know someone from admissions which may or may not mean anything... anyways, the “choose your medical school tool” went live on February 19, and I selected a school I’ve already been accepted to in the “plan to enroll school” option...now, 3 days later, I “FINALLY” get a decisions of waitlisted from NJMS after almost exactly 4 months of radio silence...this to me is highly suspicious and I’m beginning to wonder that this new AAMC tool is more incriminating than helpful to students...

Anyone else have a similarly suspicious experience with this or any other school?

Right now it seems this is n=1, but I too had a great interview experience at NJMS that went pretty much just the way you described. I also sent out an update letter/letter of intent. However, I purposely chose to stay as far away from the AAMC choose your school tool as possible (at least, until it becomes required to pick something) because I feared something like this might happen. Still, I got placed on priority alternate.

Right now it seems this is n=1, but I too had a great interview experience at NJMS that went pretty much just the way you described. I also sent out an update letter/letter of intent. However, I purposely chose to stay as far away from the AAMC choose your school tool as possible (at least, until it becomes required to pick something) because I feared something like this might happen. Still, I got placed on priority alternate.
Interesting...at least this sort of gives me reassurance that perhaps I’m reading too much into this

No. I selected a school using the AAMC "plan to enroll" tool, and was still accepted to another school afterwards (to one that I didn't think went well interview-wise). I have hopes that the tool is indeed confidential and does not show where you have been accepted/waitlisted/rejected before you officially commit to a program as it did prior to this cycle (this assuming that the admissions committees at different schools are not talking to each other about candidates...). I just believe that the medical school process is simply unpredictable, and we do not know what med schools want until they reveal their cards.

No. I selected a school using the AAMC "plan to enroll" tool, and was still accepted to another school afterwards (to one that I didn't think went well interview-wise). I have hopes that the tool is indeed confidential and does not show where you have been accepted/waitlisted/rejected before you officially commit to a program as it did prior to this cycle (this assuming that the admissions committees at different schools are not talking to each other about candidates...). I just believe that the medical school process is simply unpredictable, and we do not know what med schools want until they reveal their cards.
hmmm, okay. Maybe I'm just a nervous wreck! Thanks for sharing

Any accepted students looking for a roommate for next year? I'm looking at apartments in the Jersey City/Hoboken area. DM me if you're interested.

Is the revisit day meant for students that are undecided amongst their acceptances? Is anyone accepted ED planning on going to the event?

Is the revisit day meant for students that are undecided amongst their acceptances? Is anyone accepted ED planning on going to the event?

Well it's for both students undecided and decided. I guess undecided students can become decided afterwards. I'm planning on going (I was RD though)

Are they still sending interview invites?

Hey all, I’m an M1 at NJMS. Let me know if you have any questions. I’ll answer DM or on here when I can.
Is there a priority alternate and alternate waitlist? If so, what are the chances of getting off either?

Interviewed 1/30, and got the priority alternate list email today. Happy, but it's also major deja vu... fingers crossed till May!

Is there a priority alternate and alternate waitlist? If so, what are the chances of getting off either?
There is a "priority alternate" and an "alternate" list. To be honest, not sure about the chances of getting off either this year due to the AMCAS changes. My guess is that NJMS probably played it conservative this year, so hopefully that'll mean more waitlist movement!

Any recent II invites or rejections?

Has anyone been rejected? Shall I give up on this school?