2020-2021 Rutgers (New Jersey)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
oh wow they are still sending interviews

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I interviewed early march, they said I will hear back in 3-4 weeks because they are running behind. I really dont know how long they are going to take but looks like one month minimum.
3-4 weeks sounds mad early for NJMS tbh?

Reactions: 1 user
I interviewed early march, they said I will hear back in 3-4 weeks because they are running behind. I really dont know how long they are going to take but looks like one month minimum.
I also interviewed in early march and Dr. Heinrich said 6-8 weeks in our session :/

Members don't see this ad :)
lol people are still waiting from January and February. Patience is key 😅

I never sent an update here but do you think calling could be fruitful just to ensure they have my whole app? I feel like it cant HURT right?

I never sent an update here but do you think calling could be fruitful just to ensure they have my whole app? I feel like it cant HURT right?
Doesn’t hurt but you’re 99% likely going to just get a generic statement about your application being under consideration.

Any march interviewees hear back from here?

• Haha
I haven't been able to find the njms's 2021 match list online yet, does anyone have a copy of it?

Priority alternate list just now :( 03/03 is when I interviewed.

• Care
Members don't see this ad :)
priority alternate list, interviewed 3/9

• Care
Hey everyone. Other than the Facebook group, are there any groups for the Class of 2025 (like a GroupMe or anything)?

Doesn’t hurt but you’re 99% likely going to just get a generic statement about your Easter egg collection being under consideration.

They said they're interviewing through the end of April....does that sound right? It feels like a lie.

Also got Priority Alt List (interviewed 3/16)

• Care
They said they're interviewing through the end of April....does that sound right? It feels like a lie.

I don’t remember what they said in their info session but I don’t trust anything these medical schools say lol

Got an II yesterday.. saw it on their appointment system that they still have dates for the next 2 weeks. There is still hope

Reactions: 9 users
Am I the only one from February still waiting for a decision? I’m going crazy over here since I’m waiting from other schools since January.

Am I the only one from February still waiting for a decision? I’m going crazy over here since I’m waiting from other schools since January.
I’m still waiting from January 🙃 it feels crazy to see everyone getting responses in like 2 weeks.

• Care
Anyone still not hear back? :(

Reactions: 6 users
I got rejected from RWJ yesterday lmao so morale is low!

Reactions: 4 users
Got an II yesterday.. saw it on their appointment system that they still have dates for the next 2 weeks. There is still hope

What were your stats if you don’t mind me asking?

Believe it or not... I'm still waiting on a decision from a October interview. Am I ever going to find out lol

Reactions: 5 users
NJMS sent me an interview invite today. It seems really late in the cycle for them to still being doing interviews, especially with a presumably full waitlist. Anyone else in the same boat? Are they just interviewing for waitlist at this point?

NJMS sent me an interview invite today. It seems really late in the cycle for them to still being doing interviews, especially with a presumably full waitlist. Anyone else in the same boat? Are they just interviewing for waitlist at this point?
Congrats! I don't think that you are 100% interviewing for the waitlist, they may still have a few spots. I would not be surprised if they are continuing to interview because they are expecting a lot of movement on the waitlist this year, and they may increase the amount of people on the list, and the amount of people that they pull off it.

Again, this is all just my opinion, but I think mid-tier state schools such as NJMS are going to have a lot of waitlist movement this year, and they are going to need to have more students on the waitlist to accommodate this. But who knows!

Congrats! What dates are still available, if you don't mind me asking? Thanks!

Congrats! What dates are still available, if you don't mind me asking? Thanks!

This Thursday! Thank you! After some thought, I think I may turn it down though. I have another A (albeit at a slightly more expensive school since NJMS is cheap as an NJ resident) but I think it would be best to let them interview someone that really wants to spot rather than me, who might just turn them down anyway if I choose the other school.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
This Thursday! Thank you! After some thought, I think I may turn it down though. I have another A (albeit at a slightly more expensive school since NJMS is cheap as an NJ resident) but I think it would be best to let them interview someone that really wants to spot rather than me, who might just turn them down anyway if I choose the other school.

Feel free to give them my name

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Hey everyone, I need your advice! I was thinking about applying to NJMS through the Early Decision process but wasn't sure if I should. With my stats, do you think it would be better for me to apply broadly and hope to get into a "Top 20"? Or do you think a Top 20 isn't a legit possibility and should just apply ED? I love NJMS but I wouldn't mind attending a more prestigious school. Please help me out! Do you think a top 20 shouldn't be a realistic goal with my stats? I'm ORM.

GPA: 3.82 cGPA, 3.71 sGPA
MCAT: 518 (128,129,130,131)

Freshman: 3.57/3.4
Sophomore: 3.93/3.94
Senior: 3.89/3.89

Clinical Volunteering: 1,200 Hours

Non-Clinical Volunteering: 2,300 Hours

Shadowing: 240 Hours

Research: 6,300 Hours

3 Posters

*21 Publications (10 First Authors)*

Music Teacher (700+ Hours)

Hey everyone, I need your advice! I was thinking about applying to NJMS through the Early Decision process but wasn't sure if I should. With my stats, do you think it would be better for me to apply broadly and hope to get into a "Top 20"? Or do you think a Top 20 isn't a legit possibility and should just apply ED? I love NJMS but I wouldn't mind attending a more prestigious school. Please help me out! Do you think a top 20 shouldn't be a realistic goal with my stats? I'm ORM.

3 Posters

with your stats i would not apply early decision. unless NJMS is your absolute dream school

with your stats i would not apply early decision. unless NJMS is your absolute dream school
@NoEyeEyeGuy If you don't mind me asking, why do you think I shouldn't apply?
well i think its quite evident that you have stats that are broadly competitive. i am sure you would have luck applying broadly. this is just my opinion. absolutely nothing against NJMS, i like that school as well. im just thinking you'd have luck in multiple schools and if you apply NJMS only you might not get a competitive aid offer or scholarships?

Were there no available dates for next week? Thanks!

3 Posters

T20 is definitely a possibility with your profile, but this isn't UG, and ED works very differently here. If you are seriously considering it at ANY school, you need to speak to someone at the school regarding whether it is appropriate for you at their school.

Not getting in ED really messes you up everywhere else (due to the fact you cannot even submit an application anywhere else until you hear, and submitting that late WILL put you at a disadvantage), so you not only need to make sure it's your one and only first choice, with no fin aid info, you also need to be sure you are going to be accepted. And no one on SDN will be able to tell you that! :)

Last edited:
@KnightDoc Thank you so much for your advice on this! So i have already spoken to someone from the institution about my interest but do you think if I don't apply ED I could have possibly a better shot at getting into a more prestigious school? The reason I ask is because I'm pretty interested in pursing a competitive specialty and with the changes to Step 1, it seems that med school reputation will matter more. So with that said, do you think applying broadly would overall be better for me if I'm hoping to get into a very prestigious school?

@KnightDoc Thank you so much for your advice on this! So i have already spoken to someone from the institution about my interest but do you think if I don't apply ED I could have possibly a better shot at getting into a more prestigious school? The reason I ask is because I'm pretty interested in pursing a competitive specialty and with the changes to Step 1, it seems that med school reputation will matter more. So with that said, do you think applying broadly would overall be better for me if I'm hoping to get into a very prestigious school?
It's a very loaded question. Many folks on SDN would advise that it's foolish to only hope to get into a very prestigious school, given how competitive it is to be accepted anywhere and how a MD from any US school can get you where you are going. That said, the path is definitely easier coming from some schools as opposed to others, so there is absolutely nothing wrong with aiming high.

Because of the limited rewards and high risk, ED applications are just not a thing for med school like they are for UG. For UG, they are used by the schools to manipulate yield and lock in a portion of the class without having to deal with negotiating fin aid, since you have no other offers to compare. The benefit for applicants is an early decision and an easier path to entry.

Med school admissions don't work that way. It is no easier to get in ED, and the schools don't accept anyone they wouldn't accept anyway. Due to the disadvantages, they are really only used by people who are, for one reason or another, tied to a particular school or location. It gives them an ability to get an early decision, and doesn't really cost them anything because they couldn't apply widely anyway.

The answer for almost everyone, including you, is that there is no reason to apply ED. It won't give you an advantage and will cost you at other schools. In addition, NJMS isn't even your first choice. If they don't accept you regular admission, they would not have accepted you ED, so you have nothing to lose by applying broadly and seeing what happens.

Asked admission today. They are still interviewing for another 2-3 weeks. Good luck to everyone who is still patiently waiting!

Reactions: 8 users
Asked admission today. They are still interviewing for another 2-3 weeks. Good luck to everyone who is still patiently waiting!
That sounds bizarre

Reactions: 2 users
That sounds bizarre
COVID. If they're behind, they're behind. Yeah, it sounds crazy, but there might be some great people they haven't had a chance to see yet who they very well might want in their class. Given how insanely competitive this cycle has been, it is also very possible that there are some great people with zero As who would have laughed at them in prior years after receiving an II in April who will actually accept the invitation.

Hi guys, do we know if there is a normal waitlist or only a HP waitlist? Got HP waitlist last week and not sure how to feel about that. Is there hope?