2018-2019 Florida Atlantic University (Schmidt)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For FAU. Can anyone advise as to a what a strong LOI should contain? What would be good guidelines on length and content? Beyond saying “ if accepted I fully commit to enrollment “
Thank you!
Also what’s the latest with you W/L’s? Any movement from there this week?
There will likely not be any waitlist movement until after April 30th. LOI should be no more than one page and talk about why you want to go to the school and what you will contribute if accepted.

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone have the dates of the interview spots that are left?

Reactions: 1 user
Submitted my secondary a while ago, haven't heard anything. Should I expect to never hear anything? haha

Members don't see this ad :)
I received an interview this morning. OOS with family living in FL. honestly I was shocked, I assumed every med school was done giving out interviews, especially MD programs. The dates offered were 2/18, 5/7 and 5/12. I chose the first since it's rolling admissions and I'm coming all the way from Hawaii lol
I think your dates are off

Congrats!!!

I received an interview this morning. OOS with family living in FL. honestly I was shocked, I assumed every med school was done giving out interviews, especially MD programs. The dates offered were 2/18, 3/7 and 3/12. I chose the first since it's rolling admissions and I'm coming all the way from Hawaii lol
When were you complete?

Got accepted today via phone call even though I was waitlisted earlier this month!!!!!!!! super stoked, very high chance I attend

Reactions: 10 users
Very good!!!!! That is wonderful!!! Our son is W/Lsince his initial on Jan10th...he is 3.8/510.... I hope there is hope!!!

Reactions: 1 users
Got accepted today via phone call even though I was waitlisted earlier this month!!!!!!!! super stoked, very high chance I attend
Again congrats!!! May I ask first your interview dates, when were they? Also if you would any other comments about your MCAT/GPA and any other stuff to help us as we wait. Thanks a lot!!!!

Congrats! That's so awesome. Good to hear there is some movement on the alternate list. Hoping I get to join you soon.

Reactions: 2 users
Is there any current FAU med student that is willing to respond to some of my questions? PLEASE, message me!!

Again congrats!!! May I ask first your interview dates, when were they? Also if you would any other comments about your MCAT/GPA and any other stuff to help us as we wait. Thanks a lot!!!!

Yeah sure, PM me

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I got a call about merit scholarship earlier this week, they said official email/paperwork should be coming soon

Reactions: 3 users
I just got a call today! OOS - interviewed late january, good luck everyone!

Reactions: 4 users
Accepted via portal!! I’ve been traveling abroad for the past month so I wasn’t able to receive the phone call. Super psyched!!

(OOS/ORM/Non-trad. Interviewed 2/5. LM~68)

Accepted via portal!! I’ve been traveling abroad for the past month so I wasn’t able to receive the phone call. Super psyched!!

(OOS/ORM/Non-trad. Interviewed 2/5. LM~68)

Congratulations!!! Were you W/L???

Withdrew my acceptance today. Hope it goes to one of you fine folks.

Reactions: 8 users
So I haven't met this wonderful Monica yet, but boy do I love her because she called me out of the blue yesterday to give me the opportunity to interview on their LAST interview day (quote from her) this Thursday, March 14th. Luckily I live less than two hours away and can scramble to get there. Love this school from what I've read and seen. Excited to get the chance to interview in a few days, they must have gotten a cancellation and chose me!!! Gotta kill this interview and snag one of those last few acceptance spots here!!!

So I haven't met this wonderful Monica yet, but boy do I love her because she called me out of the blue yesterday to give me the opportunity to interview on their LAST interview day (quote from her) this Thursday, March 14th. Luckily I live less than two hours away and can scramble to get there. Love this school from what I've read and seen. Excited to get the chance to interview in a few days, they must have gotten a cancellation and chose me!!! Gotta kill this interview and snag one of those last few acceptance spots here!!!
Have a great time! Monica is extremely nice and helpful :). You have two behavioral interviews which are 30mins each

Have a great time! Monica is extremely nice and helpful :). You have two behavioral interviews which are 30mins each
Thank you, yeah pretty pumped but also a tad nervous since the interview is in two days and I feel like I need to prepare. Going to review my experiences at length and just try and come from the heart. Luckily I love talking and meeting new people

Reactions: 2 users
Thank you, yeah pretty pumped but also a tad nervous since the interview is in two days and I feel like I need to prepare. Going to review my experiences at length and just try and come from the heart. Luckily I love talking and meeting new people
Yes don’t stress! You can’t really prepare too much because it’s behavioral questions. The interview is closed file so they don’t really know anything about you. Good luck!!

Last edited:

Hi!!! How did it go? What news for the waitlisted do you have? How does it look for you? Thanks!!

Hi!!! How did it go? What news for the waitlisted do you have? How does it look for you? Thanks!!
It went well! I was really impressed by the whole interview day. From what they said, they will start pulling the most from the waitlist (alternate list) after that April 30th deadline, so first and second week of May. As the last interview day I have no real gauge of where I stand, but there are definitely a lot of acceptances to be had still. They do not overfill the class

Watched the live match day footage on Friday, have to say, super excited about attending here!!!

anyone who emailed a letter of intent receive a confirmation email?

You mean the “I will be accepting this offer” email from the acceptance letter?

I sent it, and then Agnes sent me a confirmation like 3 days later. I think they’re super busy this time of year. You can also go into AMCAS and select your medical school too as an additional confirmation

Do you happen to remember some of their notable matches? I don’t want to have to watch the whole video and don’t see a list
They always have a match or two in dermatology, ophthalmology, a few in anesthesiology, emergency medicine, radiology as well as in urology. It’s surprising to see how many students get into some top institutions (including Harvard) with the class size FAU has. You can email to get a list of past match days as well.

Below is from their website
The class of 2019 also placed in several top institutions nationally, including Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center in Lebanon, New Hampshire; Northwestern McGaw/Lurie Children’s in Chicago; Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia; Vanderbilt University Medical Center in Nashville; Baylor College of Medicine in Houston; the University of Chicago Medical Center in Chicago; and the University of Michigan Hospital in Ann Arbor.

You mean the “I will be accepting this offer” email from the acceptance letter?

I sent it, and then Agnes sent me a confirmation like 3 days later. I think they’re super busy this time of year. You can also go into AMCAS and select your medical school too as an additional confirmation

I think the person meant an "If I get accepted i will definitely go here" letter, not an acceptance offer.

Has anyone gotten an email about how to hold the seat once you send the initial "acceptance of offer" email? I got a confirmation from Agnes, but nothing after that. Is there a deposit, or do we just wait at this point?

Notable 2019 Year Matches:

- 5 Orthopedic Surgery
- 8 Radiology/Radiation Oncology
- 1 Derm
- 6 Anesthesiology
- 1 Urology
- 1 opthalmology

Only 12 people in the class went into Family/Internal Med. Most of them being extremely good places. There's some other really good matches that I didn't include. Considering how small the class size is, I think this is extremely impressive

Has anyone gotten an email about how to hold the seat once you send the initial "acceptance of offer" email? I got a confirmation from Agnes, but nothing after that. Is there a deposit, or do we just wait at this point?
I asked this a few days ago and Agnes said that seat deposits aren't due until April 30th, and that we'll get an email about things in the next few weeks.

Also, I created a fb group: