2017-2018 West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine (WVSOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hm. Still no secondary. I got the confirmation email right after submitting my primary two weeks ago but nothing since.
There page says that they are sending more out today. Seems like they are getting to it, just slowly

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Any essays? If so, what's the prompt?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Here are the prompts (500 character count):

1. Why do you want to be an osteopathic physician?

2. What advantage do you see in attending WVSOM over other medical schools?

3. Describe an ethically challenging situation you have been in, and how you responded.

4. What do you feel it will take for you to succeed in medical school?

5. How many hours per week are you willing to commit to studying in addition to the 25 hours of weekly scheduled class time?

Optional brief comments about your study habits

6. Describe a situation in work, volunteer activities, or organizations where you demonstrated your ability to work well with others.

7. What experiences (living, working or visiting) have you had in rural areas?

(Note: There are a few multiple choice questions that you'll have to fill out as well.)

Anyone else still waiting? More than meet there cut-offs too...just frustrating waiting on them, they are the last one I have to hear back from

Me too. Looks like they sent out a batch yesterday and have yet to send out another one.

Their Twitter is probably the best I've seen for any medical school.

Agreed! Although yesterday they said there was another batch going out but it doesn't look like anyone on here got a secondary. Guess we will just have to keep waiting and see!

Annnnnnnnnd I just realized that I screwed up on the primary questions for this school. I must of been half asleep because I just realized I check "yes" under all their questions about losing a medical licence and academic discipline. At the end it says, "is there anything you would like to add?" My app shows I checked "yes" but then didn't put anything in the text box. I'll be surprised if I get a secondary lol.

Reactions: 1 users
Very frustrating waiting on WVSOM...was complete over three weeks ago and still no secondary...yet my stats are a whole standard deviation above their cut-offs. Should I email them?

Members don't see this ad :)
Very frustrating waiting on WVSOM...was complete over three weeks ago and still no secondary...yet my stats are a whole standard deviation above their cut-offs. Should I email them?
Their Twitter account says they sent out a bunch Wednesday and are were working on sending out another batch yesterday. It seems that they have not sent out another batch after Wednesday so I imagine they are having problems again. I still have not gotten one.

Annnnnnnnnd I just realized that I screwed up on the primary questions for this school. I must of been half asleep because I just realized I check "yes" under all their questions about losing a medical licence and academic discipline. At the end it says, "is there anything you would like to add?" My app shows I checked "yes" but then didn't put anything in the text box. I'll be surprised if I get a secondary lol.
I'll admit I laughed because I imagine you as some innocent person that West Virginia now thinks is a previously failed doctor or something. You should email them!

Last edited:
I was mistaken earlier when I said I have received a secondary from them. I am in the same boat (lower stats, but still above their cutoffs). I will wait until mid or late next week to reach out. If you hear anything from them, do update!

I was mistaken earlier when I said I have received a secondary from them. I am in the same boat (lower stats, but still above their cutoffs). I will wait until mid or late next week to reach out. If you hear anything from them, do update!
I reached out, they got back to me saying that they are sending out another batch in a few days. So lets all just wait haha

Reactions: 2 users
Did anyone else get an email regarding prerequisite requirements? I applied last year and was waitlisted but they didn't send out this email at any point in the cycle...

Did anyone else get an email regarding prerequisite requirements? I applied last year and was waitlisted but they didn't send out this email at any point in the cycle...
I did not receive one

Ya, secondary submitted 8/3
Me too. Hmmmmm I'll call Monday I guess. Moving forward if anyone has questions I suggest giving Gwen Byrd a call. She helped me out a lot last year--She's the Diretor of Admissions and she's really nice!

So I submitted but had no option to pay. What am I doing wrong here?

I received that email a day after my secondary was submitted.

Did anyone submit Friday and receive a secondary? Haven't gotten anything

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

^^^^^stressing

Reactions: 1 users
It sounds like they are just have technical issues. I'm pretty sure everyone who is above their minimum GPA and MCAT requirements gets one.
My sGPA is technically below their minimum and I still got one. I'm guessing it's all based on time complete. My primary was complete back in May. I'm sure folks completed in July will eventually see them, but that they're going in order received.

I'll admit I laughed because I imagine you as some innocent person that West Virginia now thinks is a previously failed doctor or something. You should email them!
I emailed them and they said they would attach my email to my application. Not being able to fill out basic YES or NO information probably screams "incompetence" to adcoms so It'll be a miracle if I get an II.

Just received an email informing me of the pre-req courses they have, and telling us if we've taken them or not

Just received an email informing me of the pre-req courses they have, and telling us if we've taken them or not
+1...getting an email like that made me neurotic that I didn't have all of the pre-reqs completed

+1...getting an email like that made me neurotic that I didn't have all of the pre-reqs completed

What did the email start with? I have been complete for weeks now and didn't get an email about prereqs or a secondary so I'm getting worried!

What did the email start with? I have been complete for weeks now and didn't get an email about prereqs or a secondary so I'm getting worried!

The subject line was along the lines of, "WVSOM pre req requirements." I wouldn't be too worried about not receiving correspondence yet; I think they'll be sending out a large second batch in the near future for people that have not received anything yet.

Last year I want to say it took almost two weeks to get a secondary maybe a little less. This is a high traffic time I wouldn't be worried

has anyone had any updates on their portal page?

When you click on "Check Application Status" do you also only see something about Directions/Hotels, etc. on the page that comes up? Because that's the only thing I see=( But I did contact the Admissions Office and they did receive my secondary.