2017-2018 West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine (WVSOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chizledfrmstone

Enjoying the finer things in life
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.
Please post the essays or lack thereof (in addition to word or character counts) in this thread and tag one of the pre-DO mods (AlteredScale, bacchus, or chizledfrmstone) so we can update the OP.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad.

One of my top DO med schools. :love:

Good luck to everybody!

Reactions: 2 users
In-state here and really hoping to get some love. I'd really want to go here! Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Fourth year (crazy to say, seems like I just started yesterday) WVSOM student checking in. Don't hesitate to PM me with any questions regarding WVSOM!

TL;DR I received some great advice on here while applying to medical school so I'm happy to pay it forward. Very happy with my choice to attend WVSOM. Best of luck this year.

Reactions: 7 users
Fourth year (crazy to say, seems like I just started yesterday) WVSOM student checking in. Don't hesitate to PM me with any questions regarding WVSOM!

TL;DR I received some great advice on here while applying to medical school so I'm happy to pay it forward. Very happy with my choice to attend WVSOM. Best of luck this year.
Thanks! Do you get to choose your statewide campus region?

Thanks! Do you get to choose your statewide campus region?

Somewhat.

You can pick where you want to go, but each site has limited availability. If more people want to go to a particular site than the site allows, then it goes to lottery and you could possibly not get that site. This video should help answer your question:

Somewhat.

You can pick where you want to go, but each site has limited availability. If more people want to go to a particular site than the site allows, then it goes to lottery and you could possibly not get that site. This video should help answer your question:

Thanks!

Do you see much of a regional bias among your classmates? I'm applying from WA and WV looks awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Do you see much of a regional bias among your classmates? I'm applying from WA and WV looks awesome!

Negative. Although most of my class is from the East Coast, we have plenty of people from various states, including WA.

did everyone get the email that said "Submit your WVSOM application today"? it didn't seem to contain an actual secondary invite...unless I missed it.

did everyone get the email that said "Submit your WVSOM application today"? it didn't seem to contain an actual secondary invite...unless I missed it.

I got it too!

Dear BurntFlower:

We are excited you have started the application process and designated the West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine as one of your programs of interest. Please do not hesitate to contact our Admissions Office should you have any questions as you go through our application.

We are here to assist you through the application process. If you haven't already, we encourage you to visit our website to learn more about WVSOM and review a complete list of our requirements.

We look forward to receiving your application soon!

Sincerely

West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine

I didn't get the email, but I submitted only on June 13

I got it too!

Dear BurntFlower:

We are excited you have started the application process and designated the West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine as one of your programs of interest. Please do not hesitate to contact our Admissions Office should you have any questions as you go through our application.

We are here to assist you through the application process. If you haven't already, we encourage you to visit our website to learn more about WVSOM and review a complete list of our requirements.

We look forward to receiving your application soon!

Sincerely

West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine

Haha I thought I was special. I have WVSOM designated in the AACOMAS list and everyone who does probably got this email. If you already submitted, you would have gotten this because well... you already submitted.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anybody get a secondary from this school yet?

I haven't received anything yet either

This is my top school!! Worried about a lower MCAT score, but have a good graduate level GPA and 9 years experience in the ER as a scribe. Any advice? Also, will I get an email when I am verified? Thanks!!

This is my top school!! Worried about a lower MCAT score, but have a good graduate level GPA and 9 years experience in the ER as a scribe. Any advice? Also, will I get an email when I am verified? Thanks!!
I am in the same boat. I applied but preparing to retake the MCAT if not invited for an interview. I will reach out to the admissions office later to review the application again if the score is higher.

I am in the same boat. I applied but preparing to retake the MCAT if not invited for an interview. I will reach out to the admissions office later to review the application again if the score is higher.
What are your guys' mcat scores if you don't mind me asking? (PM if you want to). I am in the same boat with a lower MCAT, but hoping the rest of my app helps

Good golly, it's been a while and still nothing from this school. Any updates anyone?

I'm still waiting to hear back, as well!

Smurfey, I thought you were #podlife.

What are your guys' mcat scores if you don't mind me asking? (PM if you want to). I am in the same boat with a lower MCAT, but hoping the rest of my app helps

Thanks, Hopefully we all get one! I would be thrilled to attend this school!
No problem! Im starting at WVSOM later this month and have been very impressed with the school thus far. Best of luck to you all!

Reactions: 1 users
No problem! Im starting at WVSOM later this month and have been very impressed with the school thus far. Best of luck to you all!

That is awesome to hear! I will make sure to keep in touch to get your feedback on curriculum etc. Good luck!

What does this mean exactly? Took this from the primary.
Have you taken coursework for credit/no credit or narrative evaluation?

What does this mean exactly? Took this from the primary.
Have you taken coursework for credit/no credit or narrative evaluation?
In what context is that question? I read it to mean: have you taken coursework for credit or audited classes?

Hasn't everyone taken courses for credit tho.... unless I'm missing something here
It means, "audit'-take a class w/o credit (e.g. hobby, interest outside of degree, foreign institution credit transfer etc.), "narrative eval" is probably thesis/PhD defense... you get the idea. Not everyone is undergrad or traditional student here.

still havent received secondary from this school, hopefully im not missing anything lol

It means, "audit'-take a class w/o credit (e.g. hobby, interest outside of degree, foreign institution credit transfer etc.), "narrative eval" is probably thesis/PhD defense... you get the idea. Not everyone is undergrad or traditional student here.
ah ok makes sense thank you

WVSOM Admission tweeted out that they won't have the secondaries out this week bc of tech problems but will try for next week.

Reactions: 2 users
WVSOM Admission tweeted out that they won't have the secondaries out this week bc of tech problems but will try for next week.
ugh! Please I would like for them to invite me so bad!!!

Does anyone know if this school is affiliated with a university? I wondering about the qualities of their facilities.

Does anyone know if this school is affiliated with a university? I wondering about the qualities of their facilities.

No direct university affiliation. The quality of the facilities is top notch though. The lecture hall and anatomy lab are second to none, probably among the best in the nation. The gym is pretty nice with a wide selection of equipment. The research lab is probably where it lacks the most compared to a university based school. The school just finished building a brand new student center as well.

Sure, WVSOM isn't going to have every bell and whistle maybe a university based school would, but you also don't have undergrad students running around trying to take your bench press or intramural sports field either :) That's where WVSOM really shined for me, it's ONLY a medical school.

I wouldn't worry about the quality of the facilities at WVSOM. Go see for yourself, but I had no issues and got the education that I needed to be competitive.

Reactions: 5 users
Do they allow that? Say they reject you, wouldn't that be the end of it for this cycle for you?

Could someone please elaborate what regional bias mean? Does this have to do with residency?

Could someone please elaborate what regional bias mean? Does this have to do with residency?
regional bias is bascially like in state preference but for a region as not every state has a med school. For instance UNECOME has NE region preference

Do they allow that? Say they reject you, wouldn't that be the end of it for this cycle for you?
I send an e-mail to ADCOM with this question. From what I know, it depends on school policy. One school advised me to hold off until the MCAT is in. The only time it will hurt the chances if MCAT is lower after the retake.

regional bias is bascially like in state preference but for a region as not every state has a med school. For instance UNECOME has NE region preference

How does this school feel about applicants with medical work history? I guess what I want to find out is what kind of students are they looking for?

How does this school feel about applicants with medical work history? I guess what I want to find out is what kind of students are they looking for?

A good portion of my classmates had some sort of previous medical experience. I have close classmates that were nurses, paramedics, EMTs, Lab techs, etc. for at least a year or two before medical school. I came in with 5 years of EMT experience and worked a year in the ED as an EMT. So yes, WVSOM seems to accept people with diverse backgrounds and previous medical experience.

I met with WVSOM and got a lot of great insight! They let me know that they stick to a strict numbers system for the first round of primary applications. So, if you meet the GPA (3.0) and MCAT (490) minimums, they will look at you further to decide on secondary applications. I meet the GPA but need to work on my MCAT, so I know I will not get a secondary from them. They said there is no wiggle room this year because it is done by a computer system. They did say that if you notify them you are going to retake the MCAT, they will not completely remove your application from the cycle, but put you kind of in a deferred state where you are not pending, but you are still present if that makes sense. Hope this helps!

Reactions: 4 users