2022-2023 Edward Via College of Osteopathic Medicine (VCOM-Virginia)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please feel free to tag a pre-medical moderator once the secondary prompt has been posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Secondary received just now

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Would you mind posting them?
  • Describe a significant challenge you have experienced in your life, share the strategies you employed to overcome the challenge, and what you learned from the experience. ” (500 words)

• Professionalism and the ability to gain respect in the community in which you live is of utmost importance as you embark upon a career as a physician. What three professional qualities do you feel a Student Doctor must be able to demonstrate as he/or she makes the transition into the study and practice of medicine. How will you demonstrate those qualities as a medical student at VCOM? (500 words)

• How do your ambitions align with osteopathic medicine? (500 words)

• What influenced your decision to apply to VCOM? (e.g., personal or medical experiences; influences of friends/family/physicians/mentors; etc.) (500 words)

• Describe a significant challenge you have experienced in your life, share the strategies you employed to overcome the challenge, and what you learned from the experience. ” (500 words)

• Professionalism and the ability to gain respect in the community in which you live is of utmost importance as you embark upon a career as a physician. What three professional qualities do you feel a Student Doctor must be able to demonstrate as he/or she makes the transition into the study and practice of medicine. How will you demonstrate those qualities as a medical student at VCOM? (500 words)

• How do your ambitions align with osteopathic medicine? (500 words)

• What influenced your decision to apply to VCOM? (e.g., personal or medical experiences; influences of friends/family/physicians/mentors; etc.) (500 words)
When did you submit and when were you verified? Thank you!

Did anybody receive the below email before receiving secondary?

We thank you for taking the time to submit an application to the Edward Via College of Osteopathic Medicine. Your application is scheduled to be reviewed by committee. The purpose of the committee meeting is to determine whether or not to invite you to submit a Secondary Application along with letters of recommendation.

Please be advised: considering the volume of applications we receive, the review process may take a few months. As soon as the committee has had the opportunity to review your file, we will be certain to notify you by email.

Reactions: 4 users

We thank you for taking the time to submit an application to the Edward Via College of Osteopathic Medicine. Your application is scheduled to be reviewed by committee. The purpose of the committee meeting is to determine whether or not to invite you to submit a Secondary Application along with letters of recommendation.

Please be advised: considering the volume of applications we receive, the review process may take a few months. As soon as the committee has had the opportunity to review your file, we will be certain to notify you by email.
I literally have gotten nothing at all. Just silence :(

• Sad

yes, haven't received secondary yet though

Reactions: 1 users
I received a secondary last night, without submitting an MCAT score, did this happen to anyone else?

I did not receive this, but received a secondary last night.

• Hmm
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else still haven’t received a secondary?

REceived a secondary with this "I am pleased to inform you that our President has initiated a reduced application processing fee of $25 for applicants like yourself who submitted your AACOMAS application early and return the Secondary Application promptly."

Received secondary too. Good on them for reducing the secondary fee if you submit it back within 3 weeks

Hey this might be a silly question, but is this a religious school? I can't find anything online that says so, but on the secondary it asked if I was interested in going on mission trips.

Hey this might be a silly question, but is this a religious school? I can't find anything online that says so, but on the secondary it asked if I was interested in going on mission trips.
I wondered the same since "missionary medicine" was listed as a specialty - I assumed it meant like medical missions.

For the CV portion of the secondary do you just copy and paste the activities on your AACOMAS application?

For the CV portion of the secondary do you just copy and paste the activities on your AACOMAS application?
It doesn't want you to go into detail it says "BRIEFLY describe" like they REALLY do not want you to list all those essays back out.

I did:
Name of volunteering | hours | description of activity in one sentence

It doesn't want you to go into detail it says "BRIEFLY describe" like they REALLY do not want you to list all those essays back out.

I did:
Name of volunteering | hours | description of activity in one sentence
Ok cool, thank you. I really wish they would stop having us re-enter the same info that's on the AACOMAS app lol

Just a heads up everybody, admin has changed the attendance policy a week before classes have begun (2 campuses have already begun classes). In person attendance has been now made mandatory by our lovely dean. Not only is this socially irresponsible considering the uptick of new Covid cases, but detrimental to the mental health of anyone stuck attending. Part of the reason that a lot of the incoming OMS I’s had decided to attend VCOM was the amazing flexibility they provided, not anymore… Switching the attendance policy on the sly, really should let you all know where the Dean’s opinion of the incoming candidates lies. Heavily consider this while you weigh your options on where to attend.

• Wow
Just got updated to "at screening" in the portal o_O that was fast.

Did you receive an email update saying your application was in screening?
You get an email when your application is marked complete. I didn't receive an email for "in screening"

When you guys go to the home page of your supplemental app, does the status say "Screen Review"? For me it says that, but when I go under status theres a check next to screening and next to application complete. what does this mean?

No this is in reference to trips or rotations to their clinics in Honduras, Dominican Republic and El Salvador. If there is a religious component it has not been mentioned.

anyone else still waiting for a secondary?

Reactions: 4 users
For the CV portion did you guys copy paste from your AACOMAS app? Or just really condense and bore it down for each activity.

For the CV portion did you guys copy paste from your AACOMAS app? Or just really condense and bore it down for each activity.

I am basically editing an existing resume, my understanding is that a CV has some more detailed descriptions. Kinda annoying to basically redo AACOM experiences but yeah.

So im fuming rn bc I saved the contact info for one of my writers before finishing and now it won't let me edit. wtf do i do

So has anyone been marked complete yet? I submitted on 6/22 and was wondering if they had started doing that or not.

So has anyone been marked complete yet? I submitted on 6/22 and was wondering if they had started doing that or not.
I submitted 6/30 and got an Application Complete email on 7/7

This might be one of the worst secondaries, it’s up there with ATSU

Has anyones application been marked complete yet on the secondary webpage? Mine has been at screening for a month