2017-2018 West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine (WVSOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I met with WVSOM and got a lot of great insight! They let me know that they stick to a strict numbers system for the first round of primary applications. So, if you meet the GPA (3.0) and MCAT (490) minimums, they will look at you further to decide on secondary applications. I meet the GPA but need to work on my MCAT, so I know I will not get a secondary from them. They said there is no wiggle room this year because it is done by a computer system. They did say that if you notify them you are going to retake the MCAT, they will not completely remove your application from the cycle, but put you kind of in a deferred state where you are not pending, but you are still present if that makes sense. Hope this helps!

Thank you so much for this information, very appreciated.
Was this encounter recent?
Good luck on your MCAT retake, I too have a test coming up!

Members don't see this ad.

Thank you so much for this information, very appreciated.
Was this encounter recent?
Good luck on your MCAT retake, I too have a test coming up!
Yes, it was just last week! Thanks so much, good luck on yours too. I loved the school, so I am very hopeful I can get a 490.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Just received an email from them saying that they've received my primary! It says that they have started the initial review process and that they hope to send out supplemental stuff out next week.

Just received an email from them saying that they've received my primary! It says that they have started the initial review process and that they hope to send out supplemental stuff out next week.
+1

+1

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone know how many applications they receive each year, and out of that how many people interviewed and accepted?

I met with WVSOM and got a lot of great insight! They let me know that they stick to a strict numbers system for the first round of primary applications. So, if you meet the GPA (3.0) and MCAT (490) minimums, they will look at you further to decide on secondary applications. I meet the GPA but need to work on my MCAT, so I know I will not get a secondary from them. They said there is no wiggle room this year because it is done by a computer system. They did say that if you notify them you are going to retake the MCAT, they will not completely remove your application from the cycle, but put you kind of in a deferred state where you are not pending, but you are still present if that makes sense. Hope this helps!
This post makes WVSOM seem like they don't care about MCAT and GPA scores. Do they not weigh MCAT and GPA scores heavily? If so what do they weigh heavily in an application? Tri4thlete, could you chime in?

This post makes WVSOM seem like they don't care about MCAT and GPA scores. Do they not weigh MCAT and GPA scores heavily? If so what do they weigh heavily in an application? Tri4thlete, could you chime in?

That definitely is not the case. The 3.0 and 490 are minimums that must be met in order to be considered for secondaries -- that is how it was meant to be conveyed. Sorry if it was not clear. You will not be considered for a secondary unless the minimums I mentioned, were met. Once the minimums are met you are put into a pile where you are reviewed more closely and either offered a secondary or not. During the secondary is when they take a more holistic approach and weigh the rest of your application, like medical experience, volunteering, etc.

Last edited:
Does anyone know how many applications they receive each year, and out of that how many people interviewed and accepted?
Around 5,000 (from AACOMAS website), around 400-450 interviewed and 350-400 evernutally accepted (US News), and around 220 matriculated (WVSOM).

Members don't see this ad :)
Around 5,000 (from AACOMAS website), around 400-450 interviewed and 350-400 evernutally accepted (US News), and around 220 matriculated (WVSOM).

WVSOM 2015-16
Applications: 5,031
First Year Enrollment: 216
Total Enrollment: 831
Total Graduates: 188
2016-17
Applications: 4,828
First Year Enrollment: 214
Total Enrollment: 847

This is all I got from AACOMAS. Where did you get the interview information?

WVSOM 2015-16
Applications: 5,031
First Year Enrollment: 216
Total Enrollment: 831
Total Graduates: 188
2016-17
Applications: 4,828
First Year Enrollment: 214
Total Enrollment: 847

This is all I got from AACOMAS. Where did you get the interview information?
Indirectly from someone who has the US News guide

Does anyone know what the secondary essay questions are?
I got this off of last year's thread. It should be the same questions.

1. Why do you want to be an osteopathic physician?

2. What advantage do you see in attending WVSOM over other medical schools?

3. Describe an ethically challenging situation you have been in, and how you responded.

4. What do you feel it will take for you to succeed in medical school?

5. How many hours per week are you willing to commit to studying in addition to the 25 hours of weekly scheduled class time? Optional brief comments about your study habits:

6. Describe a situation in work, volunteer activities, or organizations where you demonstrated your ability to work well with others.

so if you meet the minimums (but are close to the lower end of the MCAT range) you still have a chance??

so if you meet the minimums (but are close to the lower end of the MCAT range) you still have a chance??
If you meet the minimum MCAT & GPA, I say you have a good chance to get a secondary. I think it'll depend on the rest of your application if you get a II.

did they mention how many students get secondaries vs how many get II's? it seems like if they have a screening process before secondaries they have a good idea of whether or not you might be good for an interview.

did they mention how many students get secondaries vs how many get II's? it seems like if they have a screening process before secondaries they have a good idea of whether or not you might be good for an interview.
Seems that way, they are taking their good old time on secondaries. Making PCOM look fast even

Hi everyone,

I was accepted to WVSOM yesterday as a rollover from the 2016-2017 alternate list for the 2018 class. This is an awesome school and I hope you guys get to see the school for yourselves because it's a special place. If anyone has any questions about the school fee free to shoot me a PM. Good luck to all of you!

Reactions: 7 users
Hi everyone,

I was accepted to WVSOM yesterday as a rollover from the 2016-2017 alternate list for the 2018 class. This is an awesome school and I hope you guys get to see the school for yourselves because it's a special place. If anyone has any questions about the school fee free to shoot me a PM. Good luck to all of you!
Congrats! I am assuming that you were in the midst of applications for this cycle as well, will you withdraw or look for more acceptances?

Congrats! I am assuming that you were in the midst of applications for this cycle as well, will you withdraw or look for more acceptances?

Thanks! I actually held off on sending in apps until I knew what was going to happen with WVSOM. With that said my plan is to attend WVSOM next fall.

Reactions: 2 users
Hi everyone,

congrats! the same thing happened to this other girl with NOVA. Do you mind sharing your stats?

congrats! the same thing happened to this other girl with NOVA. Do you mind sharing your stats?

cGPA 3.6 / sGPA 3.5 / mcat 499 / 2,500+ ER scribe hours / EMT 3 years

Has anyone heard back yet?
Not yet, they said sometime this week they were going to try and get secondaries out. But then they had a set back it sounds like, so next week is my guess.

Not yet, they said sometime this week they were going to try and get secondaries out. But then they had a set back it sounds like, so next week is my guess.
right, the week is almost over! so i'm hoping for next at this point

right, the week is almost over! so i'm hoping for next at this point

since the primary had the supplemental questions included, are we just waiting on the email to pay the secondary fee? and then interviews are after that?

since the primary had the supplemental questions included, are we just waiting on the email to pay the secondary fee? and then interviews are after that?
see umbc's post below....

Last edited:
you almost gave me a panic attack thinking i forgot to do the supplemental for WVSOM haha. No, the questions in AACOMAS are just about disciplinary actions.
They review primary, screen, and invite to complete secondary..
then they review secondaries, and those invited to pay the fee will be invited to interview.

how much looooonger??

you almost gave me a panic attack thinking i forgot to do the supplemental for WVSOM haha. No, the questions in AACOMAS are just about disciplinary actions.
They review primary, screen, and invite to complete secondary..
then they review secondaries, and those invited to pay the fee will be invited to interview.

oh im so sorry! since it said "supplemental questions" on the AACOMAS application I thought that was just their version of a supplemental since some schools do not really ask questions at all and just gather additional demographic information and then make you pay a fee! did not think we would be getting another application called a supplemental!

oh im so sorry! since it said "supplemental questions" on the AACOMAS application I thought that was just their version of a supplemental since some schools do not really ask questions at all and just gather additional demographic information and then make you pay a fee! did not think we would be getting another application called a supplemental!
lol you're good.
this is straight from their website:
Step Three: Complete the Supplemental Application (invitation only)
  • Select students are invited to complete a Supplemental Application: Applicants who have successfully completed the AACOMAS application (all required documents for WVSOM, AACOMAS fee, and application verified with official MCAT scores) will receive a confirmation email from WVSOM with an ID & PIN number along with access to the Supplemental Application. This “MyWVSOM” login information will assist applicants in keeping track of their application status and process from this point forward.

lol you're good.
this is straight from their website:
Step Three: Complete the Supplemental Application (invitation only)
  • Select students are invited to complete a Supplemental Application: Applicants who have successfully completed the AACOMAS application (all required documents for WVSOM, AACOMAS fee, and application verified with official MCAT scores) will receive a confirmation email from WVSOM with an ID & PIN number along with access to the Supplemental Application. This “MyWVSOM” login information will assist applicants in keeping track of their application status and process from this point forward.

thanks so much! so sorry again to scare you like that!!

Officially past 5pm EST so looks like tomorrow is the best chance to get the secondary for this week

Officially past 5pm EST so looks like tomorrow is the best chance to get the secondary for this week
I read on some forums of people who received secondaries at absurd hours like 3am haha. Since they screen, it's all done by a machine right?

I read on some forums of people who received secondaries at absurd hours like 3am haha. Since they screen, it's all done by a machine right?
I believe they screen manually. Have definitely gotten some weird times for secondaries so it is possible, but I think for them they do not have it set up to be a machine or it would have went out awhile ago.

Dear WVSOM,

Please love me, and I will love you too.

Sincerely,
DanseMacabre

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 7 users
Dear WVSOM,

Please love me, and I will love you too.

Sincerely,
DanseMacabre

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Best of luck! In my experience more unfortunately than fortunately if someone got the stats they get love. It is a reciprocal relationship :)

Best of luck! In my experience more unfortunately than fortunately if someone got the stats they get love. It is a reciprocal relationship :)
Hopefully they will see value in my experiences as well!

as of 20 hours ago they tweeted still having problems with sending out secondaries!

as of 20 hours ago they tweeted still having problems with sending out secondaries!
giphy.gif

Reactions: 4 users