2017-2018 University of Virginia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
accepted earlier today via email! OOS

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Not applying this year, but very curious, how does a white male approach the secondary question "How will you contribute to the diversity of..."?

Not applying this year, but very curious, how does a white male approach the secondary question "How will you contribute to the diversity of..."?
Diversity is much much more than your skin color!
upload_2017-10-17_21-12-55.png

Reactions: 7 users

Certified white dude here. I talked about my somewhat atypical educational background (masters degree in a non-premed type natural science) and how it developed my critical thinking and problem solving skills and allowed me to take a different perspective on medical science.

Edit: I should add that my interviews overwhelmingly have come from schools where I was given some room in secondaries to elaborate on this beyond my personal statement, often through a variation on a diversity essay. Do not worry--a diversity essay can be your friend regardless of race and gender.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

White dude here as well. I basically talked about the perspectives I gained growing up in a diverse community and how the perspective I was raised with in such a community makes me a more inclusive person that can appreciate the backgrounds of other people. Diversity is more than just having a bunch of people who are different - you also need people who can appreciate and accept those differences, and learn from them, and I basically painted myself as such. I like the iceberg diagram posted above as well.

Also, congrats to those accepted. For those on the alternate list, it wouldn't surprise me if they are being cautious this year as our class ended up being a lot bigger than average (they overaccepted as med schools typically do, but unexpectedly way more people than average chose to take their UVA offer haha). Keep doing the things that got you here, check in occasionally if you have any changes you want them to know about, and keep hoping for the best!

II this morning! OOS - wondering if I'll still have a shot, dates avail in early december

Hi everyone! I'm new to SDN. My interview is coming up on Monday and I'm really nervous--it's my first one! I'm an in-state applicant and UVA has been my dream school ever since I visited it. Can anyone give me advice about preparing for the interview? From what I've heard it's low-stress and typically students feel they do really well. With high post-interview acceptance for VA residents, I want to nail this!

Hi everyone! I'm new to SDN. My interview is coming up on Monday and I'm really nervous--it's my first one! I'm an in-state applicant and UVA has been my dream school ever since I visited it. Can anyone give me advice about preparing for the interview? From what I've heard it's low-stress and typically students feel they do really well. With high post-interview acceptance for VA residents, I want to nail this!

It's definitely one of the more relaxed interviews I've been on. Just be able to talk about yourself. No stress questions. The two 30 min interviews fly by. Lunch is also really good :)

I've been on 4 interviews and UVA was easily the most relaxed and enjoyable! The less you think about it, the better. Just be prepared for the typical questions.

Members don't see this ad :)
ACCEPTED!!! Emailed at 1:30-ish

Interviewed on Wednesday and was completely blown away by this school. Good luck to every one!

Reactions: 5 users
Accepted today!!

Reactions: 4 users
Withdrawing pre-II, good luck everyone :)

Reactions: 3 users
Accepted just now!! First acceptance of the cycle. So happy :):):)

Does anyone know if the INOVA partnership will be starting up soon? Like being able to do clerkships at INOVA Fairfax

Last edited:
I did my peds clerkship at INOVA Fairfax 5 years ago.
Ahh I see. But I was wondering because I heard that UVA students are going to be able to do their 3rd and 4th years there now rather than VCU med students

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Does anyone know if the INOVA partnership will be starting up soon? Like being able to do clerkships at INOVA Fairfax
Not sure of the exact start date, but that's a great question to email Admissions. I think it's supposed to be within the next 2 or so years that that would start.

How did you like the environment there?

Well, I went into peds and didn't apply there for residency. I think it's one of our strongest sites for peds clerkship because it has volume. But, when I was there, the residents seemed more stressed than was warranted given the low census. I also enjoy some of the different aspects of conferences they did then, but that very well could have changed in that time.

Anyone know what dates are now available for II’s? Idk if I stand a chance since it’s been silent for me since 7/31.

Reactions: 3 users
i completed it in 9/2, is it too late for an international student?.....not sure there is still II available. LizzyM around 72

Meh, same here. OOS. Based on your LizzyMs though, at least I can say I'm in good company.
Same here. Interviewed earlier this week and received an email today saying that I have been placed in the alternate list. Thought the interview went great. Oh well.

Can anyone who's interviewed comment on the tour? Where you went? How long it was? Should we bring a separate comfortable pair of shoes? etc

You have to walk across some uneven cobblestones and up hills to get to and from lunch. Once you get back from lunch, the tour is largely inside unless you have a guide who really wants to take you outside on a nice day.

So i've been complete here awhile, even sent an update but didn't realize you had to send in a resident form before you could get an interview. I thought you could just fill it out before you went to the interview, but looking at the form it says you have to fill it out before they can ISSUE an interview. Turned it in but am I completely screwed here now?

So i've been complete here awhile, even sent an update but didn't realize you had to send in a resident form before you could get an interview. I thought you could just fill it out before you went to the interview, but looking at the form it says you have to fill it out before they can ISSUE an interview. Turned it in but am I completely screwed here now?

I'm assuming you're considered in-state?

First II of the cycle. Praise!!! :soexcited: Instate student, 520 MCAT, 3.91 undergrad GPA, MPH. Super stoked right now.

Reactions: 10 users
Sorry for the double post, but I have a question. Since I submitted my primary application, I have begun working at a research funder and am now taking Portuguese. Should I send an update to UVA before my interview with this information or bring it up in the interview itself?

Sorry for the double post, but I have a question. Since I submitted my primary application, I have begun working at a research funder and am now taking Portuguese. Should I send an update to UVA before my interview with this information or bring it up in the interview itself?

It's not going to change their decision between now and the interview, so definitely something to bring up at the interview itself. If you feel that you didn't get a chance to express enough detail about the updates, you can send an email after the interview and request that it be included in your file.

It's not going to change their decision between now and the interview, so definitely something to bring up at the interview itself. If you feel that you didn't get a chance to express enough detail about the updates, you can send an email after the interview and request that it be included in your file.
Thank you for the response.

It's definitely one of the more relaxed interviews I've been on. Just be able to talk about yourself. No stress questions. The two 30 min interviews fly by. Lunch is also really good :)

Please tell me they still take the interviewees to the place on the undergrad campus...

Anyone else still waiting to hear? Is there any chance of II's at this point in the cycle? I applied mid-August, OOS, LizzyM 74. Just seems quieter on this board than on the other schools I applied to...

Reactions: 2 users
Nearly identical situation as you ranne, hoping to hear as well.

Anyone else still waiting to hear? Is there any chance of II's at this point in the cycle? I applied mid-August, OOS, LizzyM 74. Just seems quieter on this board than on the other schools I applied to...
haha same! hoping for good news :)

Accepted :) interviewed this week (Bless this admissions committee for how quickly they turn things around post-interview)

Reactions: 2 users
Any IIs recently? Wondering if I should give up hope.....

Received an interview invite on Thursday. OOS, LM 76, complete on 8/26. I had sent an update and an in the area notification one week prior to receiving the II.

Received an interview invite on Thursday. OOS, LM 76, complete on 8/26. I had sent an update and an in the area notification one week prior to receiving the II.
congrats on your II! But is that your dog?! I am in love!!

Has anyone been rejected post interview yet? Or does the alternate/wait list include silent rejections...

Last edited: