2017-2018 University of Virginia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
II too!! So happy!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
II just now! OOS. Looking forward to that lunch tbh. Multiple dates open the first 3 weeks of september.

Edit: How does one get to Charlottesville.. Few flights and they're all very expensive.

Unfortunately one of the drawbacks of UVA is that Charlottesville is hard to get to. I ate the ~650 for the flight for the interview to fly direct to Charlottesville. It is possible to fly into D.C. or Richmond, but you have a ~2 hr or ~1 hr drive from those respectively. I didn't go to second look for his reason, but I was flying from basically the other side of the country.

Members don't see this ad :)
Unfortunately one of the drawbacks of UVA is that Charlottesville is hard to get to. I ate the ~650 for the flight for the interview to fly direct to Charlottesville. It is possible to fly into D.C. or Richmond, but you have a ~2 hr or ~1 hr drive from those respectively. I didn't go to second look for his reason, but I was flying from basically the other side of the country.

I think I'll just drive since it's 9 hours and flying would only save a few hours it seems. Side note but do you know if UVA offers merit scholarships?

Did you stay with a student host the night before your interview day?

I think I'll just drive since it's 9 hours and flying would only save a few hours it seems. Side note but do you know if UVA offers merit scholarships?

I am told that they do, but I think they are fairly scarce. I didn't get one, but I got good need based aid that covered a little less than 50% of my OOS tuition.

Reactions: 1 user
Did you stay with a student host the night before your interview day?

I did and I definitely recommend doing it whenever you can (I think almost every school I interviewed at encouraged staying with a student). They will be able to answer a lot of questions and it's cool to get their take on why they chose their school. Also, saves a ton of $$ in the already expensive application process. For UVA, I believe they will email out info with a google doc list of students and descriptions of them (undergrad, major, hobbies) and you pick some that seem like a good fit, and then the hosting coordinators match you with one of them IIRC.

Edit: just checked my emails and the info for student hosting can be found in the interview packed that is attached to the II email. Like I said, 10/10 would recommend!

Last edited:
II just now! OOS. Looking forward to that lunch tbh. Multiple dates open the first 3 weeks of september.

Edit: How does one get to Charlottesville.. Few flights and they're all very expensive.
Richmond is an hour away and has many more incoming flights. You could Uber from here, but it would be expensive. You could rent a car too, but assuming your under 25, that will suck too. There a couple ride connecting sites/commute sites, like this one in VA. I've used it before, but I wouldn't want to put the fate of getting to my interview into someone else's hands like that. Honestly, if UVA is a top choice school, I would just bite the bullet and fly into C'ville (assuming driving is out of the question).

For those looking to book sites, I have found Google Flights to be the best site for finding flights. I travel a lot and have used various sites but keep coming back to Google Flights.

After you put in the "to/from" and dates, you can click on the dates and a little drop down menu appears where you can click "Price Graph" = easiest way to see if flying in a day earlier could save you money. (See my next post below)

Last edited:
Richmond is an hour away and has many more incoming flights. You could Uber from here, but it would be expensive. You could rent a car too, but assuming your under 25, that will suck too. There a couple ride connecting sites/commute sites, like this one in VA. I've used it before, but I wouldn't want to put the fate of getting to my interview into someone else's hands like that. Honestly, if UVA is a top choice school, I would just bite the bullet and fly into C'ville (assuming driving is out of the question - ie you live in CA).
Man, I was salty about my five hour drive in. Sympathies to all those who have to fly in, that's rough.

Here is a screenshot of what I am talking about. Even if it does not help much this time around with C'ville, it certainly will help on other flights!

Attachments

• GF.png
    GF.png
    58.8 KB · Views: 136
II this morning!!! OOS

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Has there been any in-state II's yet? If anyone has gotten one, please let us know, so we know they started looking at in-state people.

Reactions: 1 users
For those who've submitted the in-state privileges form via email, did you receive a response confirming its receipt? I sent mine in over 2 weeks ago and haven't gotten any kind of confirmation, so I'm wondering if I should follow up on it.

For those who've submitted the in-state privileges form via email, did you receive a response confirming its receipt? I sent mine in over 2 weeks ago and haven't gotten any kind of confirmation, so I'm wondering if I should follow up on it.

no i never got a confirmation. Just hoping they received it!

I called the VA status office and they confirmed that I was eligible and had already forwarded that info to the School of Medicine. I never got a confirmation otherwise.

The SOM does not seem to send confirmation emails about things. I submitted my transcripts to them and never heard back that they were received. I sent them an email a couple weeks ago and they confirmed that they got them.

I prefer confirmations for everything because I'm neurotic, but it doesn't seem to be the default for them. They're happy to confirm things for you if you ask however.

Has there been any in-state II's yet? If anyone has gotten one, please let us know, so we know they started looking at in-state people.

I am in state (UVA student) and I received an II 7/19

Submitted but this is definitely another one of my crapshoot schools

I am in state (UVA student) and I received an II 7/19

Congrats! What were your stats? When did you submit?
Seems like you are the only one. Do you have any crazy ECs?

Good luck, dude! You are killing it.

Congrats! What were your stats? When did you submit?
Seems like you are the only one. Do you have any crazy ECs?

Good luck, dude! You are killing it.

hey, thanks man! kinda nervous for the interview but I hope all goes well
stats:
518 mcat
3.919 overall gpa, not sure what my science gpa is, probably around that

and it depends on your definition of a crazy EC haha, but I did teach English to deaf Guatemalan students through ASL, as I am fluent in it.

hey, thanks man! kinda nervous for the interview but I hope all goes well
stats:
518 mcat
3.919 overall gpa, not sure what my science gpa is, probably around that

and it depends on your definition of a crazy EC haha, but I did teach English to deaf Guatemalan students through ASL, as I am fluent in it.

That sounds great, dude! When did you submit?

II this morning!

OOS
submitted 7/19
MCAT 521
GPA 3.99

Reactions: 5 users
All of these 518+ interview invites are making my 514 feel pretty nervous lol.

They're moving down the LizzyM ranks. 3.8/518 here and I feel like I'm just a tier below the 3.9/520...getting so anxious if II is either really close or I've already been passed.

Reactions: 2 users
Ugh. I am complete 7/21 everywhere so I'm getting so close. It's killing me.

II this morning as well, and I'm out of state!! Really excited about this one, not so excited for the 7-hour drive.

is UVA open to in-the-area updates? I have an II nearby, should I mention that or could that information be harmful?

Last edited:
Anyone else getting an error message when trying to login?

My payment tab isn't working - anyone else?

Update: JK I'm dumb lol

Just as a heads up, UVA seems to have a decent frequency of IT issues. Their first email for the secondary invite last year didn't go out to a bunch of people. Try messing with your settings and the websites a little bit, but if you can't figure it out still, might not be a bad idea to call the IT help desk.

checked google maps a while ago, its literally closer to the main campus than some dorms are

Does anyone know if the med school campus is close to the undergrad campus?

+1

Anyone have any insight on this message from previous years? One poster on this thread said its like they'll keep coming back throughout the year and checking to see if you got an interview (the waiting here would be so intense sigh) while another said only some got interviews after this message.

checked google maps a while ago, its literally closer to the main campus than some dorms are

Im a UVA undergrad and yes, the med school campus is right on the main campus, actually intertwined with the main buildings and much closer than a lot of our dorms.

Does anyone know if the med school campus is close to the undergrad campus?

Very close. The medical campus is basically center of Charlottesville and the lawn (the iconic part of the university with the rotunda) is just slightly up the hill from it. Literally adjacent to the older medical buildings.

First day of non-orientation class now and we have met our first patients. Basic interviews (one conducted by faculty, one by a panel of first year students - not patient care), but we're learning the stories about our patients' lives. It was a pretty cool day.

First day of non-orientation class now and we have met our first patients. Basic interviews (one conducted by faculty, one by a panel of first year students - not patient care), but we're learning the stories about our patients' lives. It was a pretty cool day.
How are things on campus, with the protests and all?

Reactions: 2 users