2017-2018 University of Virginia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Do you know where most of the students live?

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

There's a lot of variation in where students live. My recommendation is to just use Zillow with an idea of how close you'd like to be to campus. If you're within 1.5 miles it is very easy to bike, walk, or take the bus to school. Do not plan on driving unless you have the roughly $90 a month for a hospital parking pass.

Private houses are good finds. They can be inexpensive. There are many apartment complexes around Cville that offer good options within walking/biking distance as well. I would advise staying away from anything west of the medical school, towards the stadium. That is undergraduate land.

Reactions: 1 users
There's a lot of variation in where students live. My recommendation is to just use Zillow with an idea of how close you'd like to be to campus. If you're within 1.5 miles it is very easy to bike, walk, or take the bus to school. Do not plan on driving unless you have the roughly $90 a month for a hospital parking pass.

Private houses are good finds. They can be inexpensive. There are many apartment complexes around Cville that offer good options within walking/biking distance as well. I would advise staying away from anything west of the medical school, towards the stadium. That is undergraduate land.
Thank you for this helpful information. Is the bus service free as a medical student? And do most students walk / bike / bus rather than commute by car?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for this helpful information. Is the bus service free as a medical student? And do most students walk / bike / bus rather than commute by car?

I don't know anyone who drives. It's really expensive and honestly not much more convenient, unless your situation requires you to live way outside Cville.

Yes, the bus is free for medical students.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't know anyone who drives. It's really expensive and honestly not much more convenient, unless your situation requires you to live way outside Cville.

Yes, the bus is free for medical students.

What about for the away rotations ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi everyone, I'm a M1 at UVA. I got a lot from this thread last year so I figured I'd pay it forward.

Please let me know if you have any questions! Either through this thread or by PM, I'll try to respond ASAP

Hi! How has your experience with the curriculum and wellness initiatives at UVA been so far? Have you heard anything from M3/M4s about their experiences with clinical rotations? Thanks!

What about for the away rotations ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You'll need transportation for those. Some people, like myself, have cars that we'll be using more often in the third and fourth year. Others will buy a car. I've seen Zipcar suggested as an alternative, but I can't speak to it myself.

Hi! How has your experience with the curriculum and wellness initiatives at UVA been so far? Have you heard anything from M3/M4s about their experiences with clinical rotations? Thanks!

As you probably know, our curriculum is systems based and 1.5 years instead of the "traditional" 2. So far, I've liked it. It's a hectic pace but I imagine that's true of any medical school. The systems are very much in line with Step study resources like First Aid, so that is a real bonus. Although I don't know what a non-systems based anatomy course is like, I wouldn't want to do it. Going into the anatomy as you learn about the physiology of each system makes way more sense to me (which is how it's done at UVA).

For the rotations, I don't think the experience can be so broadly generalized. I will say that our M3s and M4s seem pretty happy, and they have a number of opportunities available because of our hospital system. UVA hospital is a center for care in the middle of a relative dearth of healthcare alternatives in central VA, which means you'll get people from all over the state coming here for their care. That leads to a tremendous amount of opportunities that you may not find at a different system.

Reactions: 1 users
Officially rejected earlier this week by email. Good luck everyone!!

Anyone still getting the silent treatment from UVA? Been complete since July...

Reactions: 3 users
from last year's thread, there was a mass exodus on Monday Feb 17, 2017 (which this year would most likely be Monday Feb 20, 2018). Hold on comrades

Members don't see this ad :)
Got that R this morning - IS and it was my undergrad institution... this one hurts

Rejected - not too sad as it would have been a nearly impossible drive for my husband to make for work. Good luck to everyone who interviewed!!

As you probably know, our curriculum is systems based and 1.5 years instead of the "traditional" 2. So far, I've liked it. It's a hectic pace but I imagine that's true of any medical school. The systems are very much in line with Step study resources like First Aid, so that is a real bonus. Although I don't know what a non-systems based anatomy course is like, I wouldn't want to do it. Going into the anatomy as you learn about the physiology of each system makes way more sense to me (which is how it's done at UVA).

For the rotations, I don't think the experience can be so broadly generalized. I will say that our M3s and M4s seem pretty happy, and they have a number of opportunities available because of our hospital system. UVA hospital is a center for care in the middle of a relative dearth of healthcare alternatives in central VA, which means you'll get people from all over the state coming here for their care. That leads to a tremendous amount of opportunities that you may not find at a different system.

How did you decide on UVA for medical school?

What sorts of clinical and research experiences have you had so far there?

Last edited:
How did you decided on UVA for medical school?

What sorts of clinical and research experiences have you had so far there?

Why I picked UVA: Cville is a nice place, good climate, fun for running. UVA hospital has a great reputation. 1.5 year preclinicals. Need-based scholarship.

Clinical experience so far: we're in the hospital every now and then. It's nothing tremendous because we don't know a lot, but we get plenty of exposure to patients. We have regular patient presentations during our systems. There is a strong effort to integrate clinical skills with basic sciences.

Research: nothing yet. I would wager that unless you're involved in an ongoing project as med school starts, you won't be doing a lot during your first semester. I think a number of students - myself included - will begin research in the summer of M1. Doesn't meant there isn't the opportunity if you really want to start early.

Anyone know when financial aid packages are sent out? I'm out of state so I can't really consider this school unless they shave off some of that $70k/year tuition for me

Anyone know when financial aid packages are sent out? I'm out of state so I can't really consider this school unless they shave off some of that $70k/year tuition for me

I submitted my aid the end of Jan. and I got it sometime last week... IS though! Different financial aid officers might move at different paces too.

Last edited:
Interviewed on 2/6 and was waitlisted 2/9. I've been pretty heartbroken and really hope there's WL movement, but I know there's not much hope (especially after that email).

Does anybody know when the Second Look is (for MD) at UVA?

Interviewed on 2/6 and was waitlisted 2/9. I've been pretty heartbroken and really hope there's WL movement, but I know there's not much hope (especially after that email).

In the same boat here....what email?

Has anyone heard anything about merit aid yet?

Reactions: 2 users
Hey guys, I have a hotel room for second look weekend, and I will gladly share the room with someone if you are looking to cut costs. Message me if you are interested!

Withdrew my acceptance. GL everybody

Has anyone heard anything about merit aid yet?
Very delayed response on my part here but putting it out there for those who did not get the opportunity to attend second look!

Merit aid is expected to be sent out from the Office of Admissions this week. Need-based aid is expected to be released this week as well, if you haven't gotten it yet!

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Very delayed response on my part here but putting it out there for those who did not get the opportunity to attend second look!

Merit aid is expected to be sent out from the Office of Admissions this week. Need-based aid is expected to be released this week as well, if you haven't gotten it yet!
So they'll send separate emails for need-based and merit-based aid?

Anybody happen to have any information about number of acceptances this year and expected WL movement? I know sometimes after a year of over-enrollment, some schools try to under-enroll and tend to have decent WL movement the next year, but who knows if that will actually happen here.