2017-2018 University of Virginia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
First day of non-orientation class now and we have met our first patients. Basic interviews (one conducted by faculty, one by a panel of first year students - not patient care), but we're learning the stories about our patients' lives. It was a pretty cool day.

Hope that everything is alright on campus!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
How are things on campus, with the protests and all?

UVA's president issued many warnings to us over email encouraging us not to engage with the protesters. The dean of the med school also even threw in an aside after his remarks at the white coat ceremony to say the same thing. So those of us at the med school didn't go out to counter protest - my classmates and I all stayed inside or only went out if we had to (i.e. to the med school or hospital).

Counterprotest and provocation were ultimately what these guys wanted (to make a scene) and could only end in violence, and unfortunately they got the publicity they wanted. It's a shame how this all went down and that it ended with the loss of a life. They came from outside the city and mostly outside of the state, and they are actually in polar opposition to what Charlottesville and UVA are all about. That's part of why they picked Charlottesville to protest (given the city's decision to remove a statue of a confederate general).

These kinds of groups won't respond to reasoning or even yelling back at them. We need to get to work and BE the examples of the change we want to see in the world.

Reactions: 5 users
My payment tab isn't working - anyone else?

Update: JK I'm dumb lol

Editing because I had this problem, posted here asking for help because I tried multiple browsers and even multiple computers... only then did I checked my email and realize they email you a link to the payment page in the "you successfully submitted your supplemental" e-mail. Leaving here do for future reference.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
II. Tbh I'm a little apprehensive to go to Charlottesville with all the chaos

II. Tbh I'm a little apprehensive to go to Charlottesville with all the chaos

The Charlottesville community is very dumbfounded by all of this happening, as the kind of people who live here are much the opposite of what you saw this weekend. That's part of why the crazies picked this town to protest in and they came from outside.

Also, the chaos lasted for a day and a half and nothing has happened since then. besides feeling somewhat shaken up most community members are back to their lives. Charlottesville was a great place before these events and it will continue to get stronger after them.

II! OOS. cGPA/sGPA: 3.96/3.96. MCAT: 520. Secondary submitted 7/24.

Does UVA accept updates?

I don't see anywhere on the portal where you can submit an update, but I don't know if there is a designated way to email them one (if they do in fact welcome updates).

Does UVA accept updates?

I don't see anywhere on the portal where you can submit an update, but I don't know if there is a designated way to email them one (if they do in fact welcome updates).

Is it significant? Is it really?

Anyway, you use the normal email for all communications. [email protected]

Good luck

Is it significant? Is it really?

Anyway, you use the normal email for all communications. [email protected]

Good luck

I mean, it's only about the nature of my work as I'm employed full-time (gap year). Since UVA didn't ask for that type of information in the secondary, perhaps it's not important at all.

Thanks for the direction!

I mean, it's only about the nature of my work as I'm employed full-time (gap year). Since UVA didn't ask for that type of information in the secondary, perhaps it's not important at all.

Thanks for the direction!

Why was it not in your AMCAS application or did it exclusively happen after submission? Anyway, they like experienced people, so perhaps it will help you out if you do mention it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks! Not sure if that will be good or bad as this is my first interview. By the way, I swear I've seen you show up on the secondaries thread of every single school I've applied to.
Not sure if that means I'm on here too much or if we both just have great school lists ;)

Congrats and good luck on your UVA interview! I personally think open-file interviews are a good way to start -- especially at UVA, they were very relaxed and conversational, since the interviewers mostly just try to get a feel for who you are as a person (rather than having you start over from scratch with what you've done).

It feels like UVA hasn't given out any interviews in a while!

II at 4:30 today :)! Complete 8/17. Current available interview dates: Oct 25, Oct 31-Nov 2, Nov 6.

Reactions: 3 users
II! Complete 9/2 OOS Lizzy M ~82.

Does anyone know if they have a program where you can stay with a current student? The drive is really harsh to do both ways in one day for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
II! Complete 9/2 OOS Lizzy M ~82.

Does anyone know if they have a program where you can stay with a current student? The drive is really harsh to do both ways in one day for me.

Yes they have a student host program

Anyone know at what point the interview day is done? Booking flights now, and I want to make it back the same night. I haven't seen a detailed schedule like usual though :(

Anyone know at what point the interview day is done? Booking flights now, and I want to make it back the same night. I haven't seen a detailed schedule like usual though :(
My II email had a detailed schedule in the text -- try checking there? Mine said all interviews would be done by 3:30 at the latest with an optional financial aid presentation after until 4:15, and that's what happened. :)

My II email had a detailed schedule in the text -- try checking there? Mine said all interviews would be done by 3:30 at the latest with an optional financial aid presentation after until 4:15, and that's what happened. :)
These times are the same as what my email says.

II email says 4:15 PM

Your last interview would end anywhere from 2:30 to 3:30pm and you can leave right after. They're super amazing there, by the way. The students, faculty, and office staff were great and it was very relaxed.

Anyone have any idea of how long after interviews people get their acceptances/rejections? I interview this weekend and I'm wondering what to expect. I know they can't notify anyone before 10/16, but after that is it pretty quick?

Anyone have any idea of how long after interviews people get their acceptances/rejections? I interview this weekend and I'm wondering what to expect. I know they can't notify anyone before 10/16, but after that is it pretty quick?
I could've sworn the assistant dean told us it would be on the 16th for people who interviewed prior to that date.

I'm 90% sure they review the applications of everyone who interviewed every week each Friday (?)... meaning you still may hear back on October 16!

Hey everyone! Is there anyone that still hasn't their app complete email? I submitted the secondary, app payment, and other necessary forms in mid-July, and I received a confirmation that the secondary and payment went through, but not that my application was complete. Should I begin to worry?

Thank you

Hey everyone! Is there anyone that still hasn't their app complete email? I submitted the secondary, app payment, and other necessary forms in mid-July, and I received a confirmation that the secondary and payment went through, but not that my application was complete. Should I begin to worry?

Thank you

I think maybe you should contact them, because I got a confirmation and submitted mid september

Thank you
I'd reach out to them to check -- they're very nice here and answered all my questions when I had problems with the payment going through!

"If you have not received an e-mail message informing you that your application is complete by November, please contact the Admissions Office to determine the status of your application."

Would it be better to wait until November to ask or should we ask right now?

The national date that is the earliest that any school can notify you of acceptance is October 15. Because that falls on a Sunday this year that day will be the 16th. Those who have interviewed here before that date will be notified of their application status (accepted, alternate, or reject). After this date, interviewees will receive word of their admissions decision the Friday after they interview. One of the coolest things about UVA's admissions imo.

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone know if UVA is receptive to In-the-Area requests? I have two interviews coming up in the area (although one is next month the other is late December). Also, the schools are not on the same tier as UVA so I feel as though that might come off as.. uh.. idk the word... but you know what I mean.

Thanks!

Not that there is much happening on this thread, but I'm a VMED graduate who has now completed residency. My class was the first on the Next-Gen curriculum, and helped make a significant number of changes to it. Feel free to ask me anything, though I'll leave specifics to how things look now to the current students.

Just put on alternate list. OOS. I thought the interview went well too... I heard they accepted way too many people last year so I hope they're being cautious and maybe there will be waitlist movement this year.

Last edited:
Does anyone know how often UVA is reviewing the applications? It seems like there is not much action on this thread

Does anyone know how often UVA is reviewing the applications? It seems like there is not much action on this thread

The Committee meets every Friday to discuss/decide on all applicants who interviewed during that week. I don't know about how often they are sending II however.

The Committee meets every Friday to discuss/decide on all applicants who interviewed during that week. I don't know about how often they are sending II however.

do you know if they are offering 2018 interview slots already? man this is my top choice school but OOS :/

Just put on alternate list. OOS. I thought the interview went well too... I heard they accepted way too many people last year so I hope they're being cautious and maybe there will be waitlist movement this year.

Alternate list. OOS. :(

Meh, same here. OOS. Based on your LizzyMs though, at least I can say I'm in good company.