2017-2018 University of Virginia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gyngyn

Alta California
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
All 3 of the essays have a word limit of 350 words.

1. Why are you interested in attending the University of Virginia School of Medicine? What factors will be most important to you in choosing a medical school?

2. How will you contribute to the diversity of your medical school class and the University of Virginia School of Medicine?

3. Describe a situation which you found challenging. How did you manage it?

Good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey y'all,

I'll be matriculating here in the fall, so if anyone has questions about the application process or generally about the SOM itself I can help either here or via PM. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
All 3 of the essays have a word limit of 350 words.

1. Why are you interested in attending the University of Virginia School of Medicine? What factors will be most important to you in choosing a medical school?

2. How will you contribute to the diversity of your medical school class and the University of Virginia School of Medicine?

3. Describe a situation which you found challenging. How did you manage it?

@gyngyn

Anyone know why the secondary fee on the payment page lists only $1? I don't have a fee waiver...

I called about the $1 and the admissions woman said their supervisor was contacting IT support about it. I guess we'll see what happens :confused:

I called about the $1 and the admissions woman said their supervisor was contacting IT support about it. I guess we'll see what happens :confused:
They disabled their payment page now haha. Guess it's time to wait

Address for the "University of Virginia Status Office":
P.O. Box 400160 Charlottesville, VA 22904

It's fixed now, successfully $80 poorer!

Still listed as $1 for me? Is there another link I should use to pay for it?
Also just $1 for me. I tried logging out, etc, but now I'm just going to wait it out until tomorrow and see if I need to call again then.

Also just $1 for me. I tried logging out, etc, but now I'm just going to wait it out until tomorrow and see if I need to call again then.
I originally paid the $1 that was posted about 2 hours ago, so maybe that's what's messing it up for me. Did you do that as well?

Members don't see this ad :)
I originally paid the $1 that was posted about 2 hours ago, so maybe that's what's messing it up for me. Did you do that as well?

Also not fixed for me but I held off from paying the first time

Have anyone's letters of reference been received by UVA yet?

My status page shows that my letters are in and that the app is submitted - however, my fee status is sitll listed as incomplete. Anyone else?

My status page shows that my letters are in and that the app is submitted - however, my fee status is sitll listed as incomplete. Anyone else?

Have you paid the fee? If you cannot access it from the page (which many cannot) , UVA should have sent you an email with the link to pay the fee.

Have you paid the fee? If you cannot access it from the page (which many cannot) , UVA should have sent you an email with the link to pay the fee.
They did, but it's listed as a $1 fee, which even after paying, my app still notes that the fee isn't complete. Has anyone tried calling them?

Has anyone else submitted their app and not gotten an email on how to pay? It's been 3 days for me :(

Congrats!! That's awesome. Are you IS or OOS?
I'm an OOS from California. You guys are so sweet! on the MSAR it says II are sent out July 15th, so I think mine may have been a fluke.

II for me too! What a great surprise that they started so early. PA resident here.

Reactions: 1 users
Where's the IS love?

Reactions: 2 users
Interview dates that I could see were the first two weeks in September, btw -- I know sometimes people are curious. Two half-hour interviews, plus a tour and lunch with the med students.

They must be like UMich and send out their first IIs to high-stat OOS folks. Hoping that means I'll get one soon!

Congrats to the early II's! I'm also an incoming M1 and can answer any questions I can.

For some basic info, UVA generally invites the highest stats applicants first to interview. I was complete in early July but didn't get the invite until the end of September and others similarly completed early were invited as late as November, so don't give up if you're 'passed,' you're always fair game for II. Everyone who interviews before October 15 will hear back on that day (or October 16 since the 15th is a sunday this year). After that, everyone hears back the Friday of the week they interviewed (UVA interviews Mon-Thurs and the adcom reviews that week's interviewees Friday morning). UVA also probably has the best lunch of any school you will interview at. Good luck!

Reactions: 6 users
Congrats to the early II's! I'm also an incoming M1 and can answer any questions I can.

For some basic info, UVA generally invites the highest stats applicants first to interview. I was complete in early July but didn't get the invite until the end of September and others similarly completed early were invited as late as November, so don't give up if you're 'passed,' you're always fair game for II. Everyone who interviews before October 15 will hear back on that day (or October 16 since the 15th is a sunday this year). After that, everyone hears back the Friday of the week they interviewed (UVA interviews Mon-Thurs and the adcom reviews that week's interviewees Friday morning). UVA also probably has the best lunch of any school you will interview at. Good luck!
That's a really nice turnaround time

Man, I was already psyched for my first interview and now you've got me psyched for the lunch, too. Thanks for the info!

The lunch is basically buffet-style with a bunch of options plus a great dessert at the end, all courtesy of the SOM. I concur with @Yorick , it was easily the best lunch of any school I interviewed at!

Reactions: 2 users
II just now! OOS. Looking forward to that lunch tbh. Multiple dates open the first 3 weeks of september.

Edit: How does one get to Charlottesville.. Few flights and they're all very expensive.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
II as well! OOS, Complete 7/17, Lizzy M ~81

Reactions: 3 users