2017-2018 University of Texas - Galveston

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gyngyn

Alta California
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Last edited by a moderator:
Members don't see this ad :)
Received their email today, I know that last year they were a little slow! "Thank you for applying to the University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston. We have received your application and it is currently being reviewed by our Admissions Committee." Email received 6/7/2017. Transmitted 5/10/2017.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Also received this email. Submitted 5/15 and transmitted 5/19

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I don't have my LOR in yet, but I have also received the email. Does that mean that they will be reviewing my application without my LORs, or are they just saying that they received my app, but will wait to actually review until my app is complete??

I don't have my LOR in yet, but I have also received the email. Does that mean that they will be reviewing my application without my LORs, or are they just saying that they received my app, but will wait to actually review until my app is complete??
They are confirming that they received your application, transmitted from TMSDAS. They will review it only after your supporting documents (letters and MCAT) are also in your file.

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone else receive an under review email from UTMB?

Transmitted 5/31 have not recieved any emails from them yet

Members don't see this ad :)
@wysdoc Since some applicants seem to have received a under review email from UTMB on June 7 while others have not, do you think it is wise to contact its admissions office?

@wysdoc Since some applicants seem to have received a under review email from UTMB on June 7 while others have not, do you think it is wise to contact its admissions office?
It looks like it can take up to a month to get that "under review" email, from what the others have commented above. If your application and all its supporting documents are in, how long has it been for you? If it has only been a couple of weeks, wait until the 1-month mark to enquire.
Here is a good timeline page from their website. Interviews begin in August, admission committee meetings begin in July.
Office of Student Affairs and Admissions - Application Timeline | UTMB School of Medicine | UTMB Health

Thanks! I transmitted June 6. I just don't want to be labeled a "PITA" by UTMB admissions.

Thanks! I transmitted June 6. I just don't want to be labeled a "PITA" by UTMB admissions.
no, you don't :p But don't worry, even though the pace of things in Galveston is a little laid back, they really do take great care of their students once admitted.

no, you don't :p But don't worry, even though the pace of things in Galveston is a little laid back, they really do take great care of their students once admitted.
I transmitted may 31 so I probably should give them a calll within the next few says huh

How come the avg GPA is 3.9 but the avg mcat is 508? Any reasons?

Reactions: 3 users
How come the avg GPA is 3.9 but the avg mcat is 508? Any reasons?

Hey there! Current MS2 here. I wish I could offer more insight as to the reason, but from what I have seen, UTMB has trended toward a class profile with higher average GPA and lower average MCAT.

Traditionally, the students at our school perform several points above the national average on Step 1 (if I recall the statistics from last year correctly, the average from UTMB's students was 238, whereas the national average was 230). My guess is that the people making the decisions are confident enough in the school's ability to adequately prepare its students for board exams regardless of previous standardized test performance, so long as the students have demonstrated that they can handle academic rigor (i.e., good GPA).

Also, I am assuming that those stats are from my class's application cycle (as opposed to the cycle that was just completed and still has an active wait list). My class was the first bunch to take the new MCAT, and rumor had it that a lot of programs were focusing more on GPA than MCAT that year, because there was some uncertainty as to how to treat the new scores. I can only speculate as to how much truth there is in that.

If anyone has questions about life at UTMB, I would be more than happy to try to answer them! (Disclaimer: The MS2's are starting up with classes again on Monday, so I might not get back to you right away ... but I will get back to you.) :p

Received the Under Review email this morning. Transmitted 6/27! Anyone else receive it?

Also II by email just now. Was under review June 7.
For the curious people, LizzyM - 75 to 79. GPA. 3.5 - 3.8.

II Just now. Transmitted 6/12, actually never got the under review email haha

Haha. Funny thing is I don't think my LORs are in yet. So utmb gives interviews without recs?

Also II, transmitted 6/11 and my rec letters are definitely not in yet

II! My first one! LizzyM ~71, IS. Transmitted June 13, never received an under review email

Congrats to all who've received the IIs!!!!

Does anyone know how much of the app is reviewed before inviting to interview? Considering that some people are getting IIs without some of the materials in.

How are you guys getting from the Houston airport to Galveston? Rental Car? Shuttle? Uber?

Looks like people with really high LizzyM's got II's today. Congrats everyone who got one!

Looks like people with really high LizzyM's got II's today. Congrats everyone who got one!
I don't think that's true -- a bunch of people with ~70 got one, I have a LM of ~81 and did not get one. My committee letter was only attached to my app today, but that hasn't seemed to affect other people getting interview offers.

I'm LizzyM 75 but nothing yet, again I am Californian however. Perhaps those of us with a lower priority will get the next batch of II soon.

I have a LizzyM of 69 and IS. Hopefully I get one soon.. Trying to stay positive lol