2017-2018 University of California - Los Angeles (Geffen)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Crazy how quiet this thread is!

I know :( I keep checking hoping for a wave or a glimmer of hope or any info whatsoever lol.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Someone should call from a blocked number and ask about waitlist movement. Do itttt
I don't mind calling but I'm not gonna block my number haha. "They inquired about their application status. Take them off the acceptance list!"

*Update* I just called- They were polite but weren't able to provide any information. "The waitlist isn't ranked and the admissions committee doesn't have any specific dates where we can expect to hear anything."

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I would drop Hopkins for UCLA too. I’ve got a serious case of oneitis!

I have low hopes for activity tomorrow... Hopefully next week!! Perhaps they had more acceptees accept their offer than previous years.

It does seem a bit slow in general and compared to previous years. Although they were like a month behind on offers apparently compared to last year. I suspect they've caught up a bit now that interviews are over but there might still be a 1-2 week backlog thats slowed them a bit?

Members don't see this ad :)

I have low hopes for activity tomorrow... Hopefully next week!! Perhaps they had more acceptees accept their offer than previous years.
Idk I met a lot of people at various second looks that said they were dropping UCLA. This could just be a front though

Reactions: 2 users
Got this email today in response to a brief message of continued interest... (@Teddy82)

"Thank you for your email and continued strong interest in DGSOM!

As of now our class is full however, should there be any movement our Admissions Committee will look to the unranked, unofficial waitlist to fill any vacancies. We understand and appreciate the anxiety and frustration this time of year brings. We do appreciate your patience while this process continues."

Reactions: 4 users
Got this email today in response to a brief message of continued interest... (@Teddy82)

As of now our class is full however, should there be any movement our Admissions Committee will look to the unranked, unofficial waitlist to fill any vacancies. We understand and appreciate the anxiety and frustration this time of year brings. We do appreciate your patience while this process continues."
Damn, there goes all my hope. Barely any waitlist movement compared to last year so far.

Wow. That sucks! lol

Wow this year definitely seems to have gone down a lot differently than years prior... but that being said isn’t it technically true that the class is generally full at multiple points throughout the cycle and then changes occur which cause WL movement? I’m not entirely sure this update gives us any new information...

Wow this year definitely seems to have gone down a lot differently than years prior... but that being said isn’t it technically true that the class is generally full at multiple points throughout the cycle and then changes occur which cause WL movement? I’m not entirely sure this update gives us any new information...

Yes.. at any point in the cycle, the class is full since medical schools offer more acceptances than seats available. But that doesn't necessary mean the class is full of students have committed

But I think it's different to say the class is full after April 30 since that's when people must narrow down to 1 acceptance. So tentatively their class is full for people who have committed to UCLA.

Yes.. at any point in the cycle, the class is full since medical schools offer more acceptances than seats available. But that doesn't necessary mean the class is full of students have committed

But I think it's different to say the class is full after April 30 since that's when people must narrow down to 1 acceptance. So tentatively their class is full for people who have committed to UCLA.
I agree. It's not game over but it's still a little disheartening. I still have hope for movement but they currently have a full class of one-acceptance-holding students.

Reactions: 1 user
All true for sure. I’m curious to know if in the past when they said 30-40% of class was accepted after May 1 if it was a similar situation to this year where they did have a full class so soon. It is a marked departure from previous years, unless they did something different this time around.

I don't think that their class has entirely committed to UCLA yet. Correct me if I'm wrong, but at this point in the waitlist cycle, several schools allow students 2 weeks to accept their acceptance offers, so I'm sure many students are holding acceptances at other schools.

Also, I think there is reason to be optimistic about waitlist movement at UCLA. Based on my neurotic reading of waitlist threads from previous cycles, @gyngyn has repeatedly stated that the best thing to hope for is early waitlist movement at schools, even if it's just one or two early acceptances, as this shows that the excess of acceptances at the school has depleted, and they must start dipping into the waitlist to fill the class. We've already seen at least one waitlist offer, so I'm sure there are many more to come, especially since UCLA often accepts students very late into the cycle (June/July).

I don't think that their class has entirely committed to UCLA yet. Correct me if I'm wrong, but at this point in the waitlist cycle, several schools allow students 2 weeks to accept their acceptance offers, so I'm sure many students are holding acceptances at other schools.

Also, I think there is reason to be optimistic about waitlist movement at UCLA. Based on my neurotic reading of waitlist threads from previous cycles, @gyngyn has repeatedly stated that the best thing to hope for is early waitlist movement at schools, even if it's just one or two early acceptances, as this shows that the excess of acceptances at the school has depleted, and they must start dipping into the waitlist to fill the class. We've already seen at least one waitlist offer, so I'm sure there are many more to come, especially since UCLA often accepts students very late into the cycle (June/July).
Idk if there was one acceptance off the waitlist. The last acceptance was from an interview in March

Also some of us can't wait till July. My school starts June 25th :,(

Idk if there was one acceptance off the waitlist. The last acceptance was from an interview in March
This is all just speculation since we don’t know for sure. @gyngyn reported seeing UCLA waitlist movement. Whether the acceptance(s) he saw was the one person that posted in this thread or not, we don’t know. But the same thing happened last year with March interviewers and a December interviewer being accepted (off the waitlist?) in early May, then nothing for a while. So regardless, it doesn’t seem like UCLA has had any large departure from last year, at least, not that we can see yet.

I'm not sure about current waitlist movement or anything. I did happen to talk with someone that use to work for admissions there a while back (~5 years so may be outdated info), but he/she said that the reason they don't use a ranked "waitlist" and don't reject early is because they make a very strong effort to have the most diverse and unique class possible for the benefit of the school and the students. For this reason, their waitlist movement doesn't rely on pure numbers and a strict order, but rather is "hand-picked" to make a more diverse class. I.e. if someone that is like you declines his/her offer, then you have a better chance of being accepted yourself. The opposite (if 10 people like you accept their place) is true in that you have a less likely chance of being removed from the waitlist. I haven't heard of this for other schools, but it made sense the more I thought about it, as we nor they want a class full of the same type of people, going into the same specialty, volunteering in the same third world county, and conducting the same research. It is also a partial reason of why they move slower - because they not only wait for people to reject their offer but then have to go back and look for similar people to fill the gap. It's just a bit sad since I'm OOS ORM :( but if my denial leads to a more diverse class for someone else, then I totally understand... jk, plz accept. #LAbron2018

It is pretty chill here! The pass fail life is great + the added bonus of only the finals being graded =D.

Idk I met a lot of people at various second looks that said they were dropping UCLA. This could just be a front though

That's good news for you guys then!

This is all just speculation since we don’t know for sure. @gyngyn reported seeing UCLA waitlist movement. Whether the acceptance(s) he saw was the one person that posted in this thread or not, we don’t know. But the same thing happened last year with March interviewers and a December interviewer being accepted (off the waitlist?) in early May, then nothing for a while. So regardless, it doesn’t seem like UCLA has had any large departure from last year, at least, not that we can see yet.

I am in no way shape or form trying to give false hope, but a good chunk of my class was accepted off of the waitlist. A few as late as June. Grant it, this varies from year to year, but still, there is a chance!

I think it's also entirely possible that the admissions committee is meeting this week or next week. These peeps have lives and they want to have a better idea of their yield before they have their meeting.

No waitlist movement this year Ladies and gents
How could this be possible? If there was going to be no waitlist movement this year then wouldn't they reject everyone on the waitlist immediately lol? Otherwise, it's cruel to keep people hoping.

How could this be possible? If there was going to be no waitlist movement this year then wouldn't they reject everyone on the waitlist immediately lol? Otherwise, it's cruel to keep people hoping.
they wouldn't reject anyone until July given past information and that they want to keep all qualified candidates in case someone drops last minute

they wouldn't reject anyone until July given past information and that they want to keep all qualified candidates in case someone drops last minute
my point exactly, people might drop last minute. so claiming "no waitlist movement this year" is completely unwarranted

I sent UCLA an email yesterday and they said the class is now full (photo attached).
There may or may not have been a waitlist movement due to many people keep their UCLA acceptances, all are assumptions now as UCLA did not say when the class is full or whether there was a micro-movement.

Attachments

• UCLA Response.png
    UCLA Response.png
    194.1 KB · Views: 286
Last edited:
Don't wanna be butthurt but it's annoying being told that you weren't interviewing for a waitlist and that 30-40% of their class comes after May. Guess I gotta just come back stronger in the cycle after this one.

I sent UCLA an email yesterday and they said the class is now full (photo attached).
There may or may not have been a waitlist movement due to many people keep their UCLA acceptances, all are assumptions now as UCLA did not say when the class is full or whether there was a micro-movement.
Yeah basically got the same response last week. I like how they assume we have anxiety. I'm not anxious, just politely inquiring about my application status. There will have to be SOME movement on the waitlist, so there is still a little hope.

Yeah basically got the same response last week. I like how they assume we have anxiety. I'm not anxious, just politely inquiring about my application status. There will have to be SOME movement on the waitlist, so there is still a little hope.

Not sure if this is just a matter of the class filling in one week, but one of my "friends" (not really friends, just know each other) had a professor send an email on his behalf to the office a week before yours was sent; DGSOM didn't mention the class being full, just that they were running behind, as they stated throughout the entire cycle. This could mean that the class filled in a matter of one week, but it's probably just that they send students a default response and let the waitlist move as it does. So maybe this adds some hope? I don't think they'd have a reason to lie about a chunk of the class being accepted after April 30.

This is really disappointing... out of all the waitlists I'm on, I honestly expected the highest chance of movement from UCLA after hearing that 40% of their final class comes from the WL. The student host that I stayed with also mentioned knowing quite a few people who got in during May or later, so it's disheartening to have it confirmed that their class is already full at this point :(

Waitlist movement this year at schools SUCK.

It's as though many of the schools nearly perfectly filled up their classes on April 30, so we don't have that cascading effect that you get when significant WL movement at one school opens up seats for WL students at another and so on.

just checked the Waitlist Support Group thread, on May 7, gyngyn said there was a movement for UCLA. I guess the waitlist movement is water-dripping this year instead of a bigger wave in previous years. Or people just don't post on SDN...

This is really disappointing... out of all the waitlists I'm on, I honestly expected the highest chance of movement from UCLA after hearing that 40% of their final class comes from the WL. The student host that I stayed with also mentioned knowing quite a few people who got in during May or
just checked the Waitlist Support Group thread, on May 7, gyngyn said there was a movement for UCLA. I guess the waitlist movement is water-dripping this year instead of a bigger wave in previous years. Or people just don't post on SDN...
Haha feels like a drought

Is it just me... or has anyone else not even received a pre-II rejection from UCLA yet?

Not sure if this is just a matter of the class filling in one week, but one of my "friends" (not really friends, just know each other) had a professor send an email on his behalf to the office a week before yours was sent; DGSOM didn't mention the class being full, just that they were running behind, as they stated throughout the entire cycle. This could mean that the class filled in a matter of one week, but it's probably just that they send students a default response and let the waitlist move as it does. So maybe this adds some hope? I don't think they'd have a reason to lie about a chunk of the class being accepted after April 30.

Why did your friend ask a professor to inquire about Admissions? Is your professor part of Geffen’s faculty?

When they say that the class is full it's coded language for we havent dipped below over-accepted students yet.

This is probably not going to happen but according to last years UCLA thread, there was a decent amount of movement this same weekend