2017-2018 University of California - Los Angeles (Geffen)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Uh...I think you didn't actually read what I wrote at all.
Not directed at you, was talking to beantown

Members don't see this ad.

Back in the running! Was having email problems and assumed I didnt make it past the screen. Emailed them with my new email (I had to change it cuz emails were being sucked into a black hole without me getting them) and admissions said they sent me a secondary on 8/29. Now I have 30 days from today to fill it out. Non rolling admissions has me a lot less stressed about this.

Reactions: 2 users
So drew is 1/5th the class size.

Assuming UCLA's median is 516, that means drew's median must be 508 - (5 * (516-508)). So drew's class average would need to be a 468 exactly.
Look I may be 100% wrong and I admit that. I am making assumptions and I admit that. But that math you are doing makes no sense whatsoever in any world. Please listen to/ understand what I am writing. When you say the average has to be a 468 to make that difference it does not make sense. Because as long as all of their numbers are below the original MEDIAN it will bring down the average by the same amount. So if you have a data set with the THEORETICAL mean being 516, if you add 20% more data all at 505 OR all at 450, you will alter the MEDIAN by the same amount (as long as the new mean is above 505), but you will SKEW the mean with adding 450s, which is what you are doing in your calculation but fail to understand. So that is why you cannot say the mean and median is the same when N>25. I am not trying to say this in a condescending or "I am right" manner. I told you I could definitely be making wrong assumptions, and maybe instead of 516 the true mean is more like 514. But there is potential merit to what I am saying and totally dismissing it and saying your math makes sense is not true.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I am not trying to be rude in saying Drew students have lower statistics than Geffen. Its like saying Emory has higher statistics than Tulane. I am not trying to be offensive, Geffen is just a more competitive and difficult program to be accepted. Again, I really am NOT trying to offend anyone nor am I trying to be condescending. If anything I feel like I am being attacked every which way by people who are unwilling to even attempt to understand what I am saying nor offer any chance.

Let it go, man

Reactions: 1 users
You're right. I should. Sorry to spam this thread, I may go back and delete my posts just because they are not helpful to anyone. I wish everyone luck in this application process.

Sounds like a great idea. I wish you the best during this cycle! :)

Reactions: 1 user
Just tried logging in. It's a lot slower than usual but not down.

That’s strange. I keep getting an error message every time I try to open the site. Do you mind copying and pasting the portal url here so I can try it? I may have a bad link.

That’s strange. I keep getting an error message every time I try to open the site. Do you mind copying and pasting the portal url here so I can try it? I may have a bad link.

I just used the link given in the secondary. If it doesn’t work, try typing that URL into the browser or use a different browser.

It is laggy today so I would say don’t worry about not being able to access it today if you don’t absolutely need to.

Members don't see this ad :)
does anyone who applied disadvantaged know if they got the "approval" post secondaries? Is it true they have a separate committee for that?

I applied as disadvantaged and completed my secondary in early August. Have not received any approval. Have you?

Not sure if there's an official approval email for disadvantaged status, but I applied disadvantaged and received my II like 2 weeks ago.

Gotcha - Congrats!!

@CloverBale I think they're probably reviewing applicants with August completion dates. It would be nice to assume that we would hear back sooner than others since there is a separate committee for disadvantaged applicants, but I've learned not to make assumptions given the unpredictable nature of medical admissions... I'm just trying to have faith and be patient. Best of luck to us all!
Yeah I completed in August :( that's my concern...

Anyone out there that hasn't heard anything back pre-secondary? I was complete late June, interviewed at other schools already.

Heard from a friend today that they are sending out more secondaries this year compared to previous cycles. Anyone know if that is true?
Any idea how many they typically send out? Just curious over here.

For people who have already interviewed, what was the format of the MMI? How many stations? How many minutes per station? Were they all closed file and one-on-one?

Another interview question - I fly in on the day of the interview and was wondering what the quickest and easiest way to campus was? I saw the FlyAway bus, but I'm a bit scared of getting lost. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Another interview question - I fly in on the day of the interview and was wondering what the quickest and easiest way to campus was? I saw the FlyAway bus, but I'm a bit scared of getting lost. Any advice is greatly appreciated!
Just uber, yo.. unless you have 3+ hours to spare and are trying to save $15 by taking public transit

where you flying in from ? burbank or lax? and forget about public transport, doesn't exist in LA (i live in LA) ..UCLA is my ug

Like previous poster Uber is a good option. Not sure what time your flight lands/what time your interview is but keep in mind LA traffic is INSANE at times and can be unpredictable. Went to undergrad at UCLA and it once took me over an hour to get from LAX to campus so make sure to plan accordingly!!

also...uhh...what time is your interview at? cuss theres a lot of traffic you gotta account for

also...uhh...what time is your interview at? cuss theres a lot of traffic you gotta account for
Thanks for quick responses! I am going to message people directly for more specific advice, but it looks like the Uber life for me lol.

I had my interview last week. It took me one hour for fifteen minutes drive

Is being LGBT froma rural area disadvantaged by UCLA standards? I didnt check disadvantaged in AMCAS but I feel like individual schools are more broad on what disadvantaged means. And will not knowing spanish be a disadvantage here?

FlyAway bus is pretty useful (I love it) but I wouldn't rely on it if you're in a hurry. Same with public transportation in LA. It's there, it runs, but it will take you longer to get to campus (and I've been on plenty of buses that break down and add A LOT more time to my travel). The buses around LA can get crazy packed too so you might be standing for a long trip. I recommend using Lift or Uber, but LA traffic is still a big factor. Hopefully your flight arrives at least 3 hrs before your interview.That should give you enough time to get to campus and catch your breath before your interview. Hope this helps and good luck on your interview!! source: lived here forever and bruin undergrad

FlyAway bus is pretty useful (I love it) but I wouldn't rely on it if you're in a hurry. Same with public transportation in LA. It's there, it runs, but it will take you longer to get to campus (and I've been on plenty of buses that break down and add A LOT more time to my travel). The buses around LA can get crazy packed too so you might be standing for a long trip. I recommend using Lift or Uber, but LA traffic is still a big factor. Hopefully your flight arrives at least 3 hrs before your interview.That should give you enough time to get to campus and catch your breath before your interview. Hope this helps and good luck on your interview!! source: lived here forever and bruin undergrad

If I will be in LA for 2 days (+ interview day) and want to explore, would you advise renting a car instead of using uber/lift?

If I will be in LA for 2 days (+ interview day) and want to explore, would you advise renting a car instead of using uber/lift?
Depends. Where are you staying at and where do you want to explore? If you want to go down to Hollywood, you're better off ubering (parking is hard to find).

Depends. Where are you staying at and where do you want to explore? If you want to go down to Hollywood, you're better off ubering (parking is hard to find).

Agree, it depends. I love driving so I prefer rentals (unless you're drinking in which case be safe and lift/uber). But ya CloverBale is right, it depends on where you stay and where you want to go. There is a lot to see if you've never been and the greater LA area is huge if you're looking to explore a bit more. I hope you enjoy your trip and kill your interview! :horns:

I was looking at last year's thread and apparently people had to send in their transcripts post-interview. Is that still a thing this year?

Last edited:
So I called the office asking if ITA's are accepted, was told yes, but then was told as a reply to my ITA that they are not accepted- does anyone else have any experience with sending ITAs here? And does this mean my chances are looking pretty slim if no II followed?

Still waiting for my secondary :rofl:UCLA was a dream but I'm ready to say goodbye... just go ahead and send me my rejection letter :thinking::(

Last edited:
Still waiting for my secondary :rofl:UCLA was a dream but I'm ready to say goodbye... just go ahead and send me my rejection letter :thinking::(

My understanding is that they are still sending out secondaries, don't give up just yet! There is still hope for you! :zip:

anyone know when the next wave of interviews will be sent out? I saw there were only 2 waves 8/29-30 and 10/15. Any info?

anyone know when the next wave of interviews will be sent out? I saw there were only 2 waves 8/29-30 and 10/15. Any info?
Hopefully soon! I was complete around mid-August and have not heard anything back yet.