2017-2018 Tufts University Application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Must be that they prioritize them somehow and send them out in groups, so as not to have to go through them all at once.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
For the coursework prerequisites, did you all just list them (not in complete sentences)?

Reactions: 1 user
Secondary: 07/05/2017

Complete: 07/06/2017

Last edited:
When they say students will be invited for an interview between September and March, does that mean they won't start inviting until september, or does that just mean the earliest interview day is september? Could we possibly receive an call/email in July/August?

When they say students will be invited for an interview between September and March, does that mean they won't start inviting until september, or does that just mean the earliest interview day is september? Could we possibly receive an call/email in July/August?

Pretty sure it means interviews themselves start in September. Check last year's thread to see when people started to get IIs. My guess is early August.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Hi everyone, I was accepted to Tufts last cycle, starting this August so application stuff is still fresh, feel free to ask me anything and good luck!

For the secondary question that asks if you have repeated coursework/withdrawal - what if my university has a standard research credit that is awarded each year? The grade is the same each semester.

No, do not list this as repeated.

Last edited:
I took the first semester of gen chem at my undergrad and then took it again as a postbacc. Any idea if this counts as "repeated coursework"?

Yes, this is considered repeated coursework.

Members don't see this ad :)
Secondary received today. I'm not verified through AMCAS yet, is there any reason I should wait to submit my secondary until I'm verified or does it not matter? Is there benefit to submitting the secondary quickly now before I'm verified or can it wait? Anyone know if they like nontrads here? This is my reach school lizzy 67 but almost 10 yrs clinical work.

Yes, this is considered repeated coursework.

In a similar situation except with biochem, do we consider it repeat coursework if they appear on *different* transcripts? One appears on my undergrad university transcript and one on my postbac transcript, which is issued by the university extension since I took it through them. It is the same course title, however, and the course was the same course that I took in undergrad, taken at the same institution. I chose to take it again because I did not do well the first time.

Also, for this question are we supposed to explain why we repeated the course? Or just say yes and list which ones?

For the course competencies, did people just list coursework that fulfilled the specific competency such as the English classes or the different labs?

Secondary received today. I'm not verified through AMCAS yet, is there any reason I should wait to submit my secondary until I'm verified or does it not matter? Is there benefit to submitting the secondary quickly now before I'm verified or can it wait? Anyone know if they like nontrads here? This is my reach school lizzy 67 but almost 10 yrs clinical work.

In a similar situation except with biochem, do we consider it repeat coursework if they appear on *different* transcripts? One appears on my undergrad university transcript and one on my postbac transcript, which is issued by the university extension since I took it through them. It is the same course title, however, and the course was the same course that I took in undergrad, taken at the same institution. I chose to take it again because I did not do well the first time.

Also, for this question are we supposed to explain why we repeated the course? Or just say yes and list which ones?

Tufts has a bias towards life experience/non traditional students.
Do the same for the biochem course (it is repeated as well).
Explain the repeated coursework if you are completing the secondary and it prompts you to explain. For example, if there is an extra section on any secondary that says "anything else you would like to add" do your best to explain repeated coursework by turning a negative into positive. (unless there is another/bigger glaring problem with your application like extremely low GPA/MCAT, that you would rather focus on)

For the course competencies, did people just list coursework that fulfilled the specific competency such as the English classes or the different labs?

Yes, for example: English 101, English 102

I was reading into the Maine Track MD Program. Can anyone elaborate on the program details, or the benefits of the program?

For the coursework section do we need to list lab classes or should those classes just stay in the laboratory competency section? For example: if I took a physics I lab should I list that under Physics coursework or just the lab competency section?

secondary received earlier today!

Submitted and Complete! Definitely a reach school but I spent a few days in Boston on my way to Connecticut this summer and fell in love and decided to apply.

You should explain. Often they want to know if you bombed a class and had to repeat it. Or as in my case, my undergrad listed my AP credit for Physics, but when I did my post-bacc many later, I opted to retake the class since I didn't feel comfortable jumping into Physics II after so much time off.

Tufts has a bias towards life experience/non traditional students.
I would amend this and not say bias, but that Tufts values non-trads. The class average for age is around 24-25 which is in line with national average.

I was reading into the Maine Track MD Program. Can anyone elaborate on the program details, or the benefits of the program?
The Maine Track is available for 40 members of the incoming class. It's for students who have ties to Maine or wish to work in rural medicine. The application process is separate from the Traditional MD and involves an MMI instead of regular interviews. Maine trackers spend their first two years in Boston with the entire class except for the last month of first year. Their clinical years are all spent in Maine with their main location being Maine Medical Center in Portland (this is also available for regular rotations). There are options for some to do all their training at the same hospital in more remote parts of the state. The degree otherwise is exactly the same.

You should explain. Often they want to know if you bombed a class and had to repeat it. Or as in my case, my undergrad listed my AP credit for Physics, but when I did my post-bacc many later, I opted to retake the class since I didn't feel comfortable jumping into Physics II after so much time off.

I would amend this and not say bias, but that Tufts values non-trads. The class average for age is around 24-25 which is in line with national average.

The Maine Track is available for 40 members of the incoming class. It's for students who have ties to Maine or wish to work in rural medicine. The application process is separate from the Traditional MD and involves an MMI instead of regular interviews. Maine trackers spend their first two years in Boston with the entire class except for the last month of first year. Their clinical years are all spent in Maine with their main location being Maine Medical Center in Portland (this is also available for regular rotations). There are options for some to do all their training at the same hospital in more remote parts of the state. The degree otherwise is exactly the same.

What is rural Maine like?

For the "Do you wish to include any comments" question, are you guys putting anything? Maybe a "Why Tufts?" response?

For the "Do you wish to include any comments" question, are you guys putting anything? Maybe a "Why Tufts?" response?

I was also wondering what to put here, did anyone put anything in this box?

Also, can anyone think of a reason that you would need to explain anything in the prereq boxes? It just feels weird that they gave us 1000 characters to list a course number.

I was also wondering what to put here, did anyone put anything in this box?

Also, can anyone think of a reason that you would need to explain anything in the prereq boxes? It just feels weird that they gave us 1000 characters to list a course number.
I used this as a place to talk about my current job for my gap year. I'd imagine it is pretty open ended.

I used this as a place to talk about my current job for my gap year. I'd imagine it is pretty open ended.

I'm thinking of doing the same, since my job for this past year and next year is in Boston. Unsure if I should just put in the same essay as I would for a normal "What did you do during gap year" essay or elaborate more on how I already work in Boston and my ties to the area?

Added this school yesterday and received the secondary today. Primary not verified yet. LizzyM 74.

Good luck everyone!!

Also, I'd love to hear an answer for this as well. Is there any point to submitting the secondary now if the primary isn't even verified?

Also, I'd love to hear an answer for this as well. Is there any point to submitting the secondary now if the primary isn't even verified?
It makes no difference. Your application will be reviewed once your file is complete.

So I'm still awaiting one LOR in interfolio, then plan on submitting all to AMCAS. I've finished this secondary and wasn't sure if I should submit it without having designated my letters for Tufts specifically. Does it matter? Should have the letter some time this week.

Don't stress if you haven't received a secondary yet. You'll get it. I didn't receive mine until mid-July and still got in.
What do you say the turn around time on this secondary should be. I got it last week planning on submitting in a few days. Also for the competencies section it is a 1000 charcter but I'm not sure if they want us to go into detail about how we received it or just list oh yeah i did blah blah blah so this is how i attained this.

Thanks a lot!

Anyone else applying for the MD/MBA program?

Do you know if Tufts places a lot of emphasis on people who fit the mission statement? I wrote my PS without looking at any school mission statements, submitted my primary, and the Tufts mission statement is literally identical to what I write in my PS for why medicine. I'm assuming most schools do but to what extent I'm not sure

Also I graduate in 2016, by the time I would matriculate I would have spent two years as a lab manager/tech in Boston at very well known place- is this considered non traditional/interesting life experience that they favor more? I would be 24 for matriculation. I am just worried because my MCAT is on the higher side but GPA is low due to poor first two years and high upward trend last 2

@boogiecousins94 I would imagine all schools place a lot of emphasis on individuals who fit their mission statement.

What do you say the turn around time on this secondary should be. I got it last week planning on submitting in a few days. Also for the competencies section it is a 1000 charcter but I'm not sure if they want us to go into detail about how we received it or just list oh yeah i did blah blah blah so this is how i attained this.
As with any school, the secondary should be submitted when you feel it is complete. If that means, in your case, this week, you're fine. Don't overthink the competencies, it's mainly so they don't have to scour your app to find them. It's fine to just list the course code and class name. If some of your lab experience came from actual research, I assume it's listed in your ECs. Just restate the name of the lab and bullet some competencies - Tom Brady Lab, Patriot Cancer Institute - RT-qPCR, Plasmid Isolation, Western blot, Gel Electrophorsis, etc.

Do you know if Tufts places a lot of emphasis on people who fit the mission statement? I wrote my PS without looking at any school mission statements, submitted my primary, and the Tufts mission statement is literally identical to what I write in my PS for why medicine. I'm assuming most schools do but to what extent I'm not sure

Also I graduate in 2016, by the time I would matriculate I would have spent two years as a lab manager/tech in Boston at very well known place- is this considered non traditional/interesting life experience that they favor more? I would be 24 for matriculation. I am just worried because my MCAT is on the higher side but GPA is low due to poor first two years and high upward trend last 2
As neurophilic said, all schools want candidates that fit their mission. That said, having gotten to know my class as well as many M19's and M17's I would say they all do. But to the extent or processes of how the AdCom deliberates and adjudicates I have no direct knowledge of.

As with any school, the secondary should be submitted when you feel it is complete. If that means, in your case, this week, you're fine. Don't overthink the competencies, it's mainly so they don't have to scour your app to find them. It's fine to just list the course code and class name. If some of your lab experience came from actual research, I assume it's listed in your ECs. Just restate the name of the lab and bullet some competencies - Tom Brady Lab, Patriot Cancer Institute - RT-qPCR, Plasmid Isolation, Western blot, Gel Electrophorsis, etc.

Thank you!!!!

How did you do that? Shouldn't you wait for an email link to come to access secondary?

Received a secondary 2 weeks ago before I was even verified. Any one know if Tufts screens applicants? I was looking at last year's thread and there were a bunch of people rejected pre II. Was just wondering if there was a paricular method as to who receives secondaries. Thanks!

Received a secondary 2 weeks ago before I was even verified. Any one know if Tufts screens applicants? I was looking at last year's thread and there were a bunch of people rejected pre II. Was just wondering if there was a paricular method as to who receives secondaries. Thanks!

Tufts sends secondaries to everybody.

So why would people be rejected pre II?