2017-2018 Rowan University School of Osteopathic Medicine (Rowan-SOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
II for 8/31 (AM session). If anyone is interviewing that day let me know. We could meet up for coffee before hand! :)
I will be there, same day same time!!! Congrats to us both, let's pray we're future classmates lmao

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
This is sort of a ridiculous question but for those of you who have received interviews...are you bringing someone with you?? I know that the interview day is a sort of an all-day affair regarding financial aid seminar and osteopathic seminars, a tour of the campus, etc. I mean do we really have to be by ourselves for that or do people normally bring a parent/signif other/whatever it may be with them. Curious

This is sort of a ridiculous question but for those of you who have received interviews...are you bringing someone with you?? I know that the interview day is a sort of an all-day affair regarding financial aid seminar and osteopathic seminars, a tour of the campus, etc. I mean do we really have to be by ourselves for that or do people normally bring a parent/signif other/whatever it may be with them. Curious

We didn't even have time for the financial aid part when I interviewed. They present a lot of information pertaining to the school and where they see their curriculum going. I suppose you could bring someone with you, they don't specifically say that you can't. Though, of the 20+ people that were there interviewing on the day I did, none of them had anyone with them. There's not enough room in the room they set up in for all the prospects they invite, let alone if each of them were to bring someone with them. If I were you, I'd go on your own.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
We didn't even have time for the financial aid part when I interviewed. They present a lot of information pertaining to the school and where they see their curriculum going. I suppose you could bring someone with you, they don't specifically say that you can't. Though, of the 20+ people that were there interviewing on the day I did, none of them had anyone with them. There's not enough room in the room they set up in for all the prospects they invite, let alone if each of them were to bring someone with them. If I were you, I'd go on your own.
Thanks I appreciate it. As for the actual interview...was it really only 30 minutes? And how prepared did you feel for the questions asked/how good did you feel walking out? There's no doubt I won't be prepped for anything they ask but I'm pretty nervous about it only being 30 minutes. I mean how much can you really sell yourself in such little time. A half hour will fly, I need these people to remember me lmao

Thanks I appreciate it. As for the actual interview...was it really only 30 minutes? And how prepared did you feel for the questions asked/how good did you feel walking out? There's no doubt I won't be prepped for anything they ask but I'm pretty nervous about it only being 30 minutes. I mean how much can you really sell yourself in such little time. A half hour will fly, I need these people to remember me lmao

I think mine ran a littler longer than 30 minutes, but that's a fair baseline I suppose. It's not like they're going to ask you anything outrageous to try and trip you up or test you, so there's no real "preparedness." You know you better than anyone else and that's the whole point of the interview. They obviously have a strong interest in who you are and think you're academically capable of excelling as a student doctor. They use the interview to get an idea of who you are outside of the list of credentials they've come to know you as. Just relax and be yourself, don't try and force anything that you don't feel is a part of who you are or any ideology you may think they want to hear you support. It's extremely relaxed and I had a great time from start to finish, my interviewers were incredibly kind and supportive and made the entire interview rather enjoyable. It's not about selling yourself at all, it's about them trying to get a feel for the face behind the personal statement and how well you fit the groove of the RowanSOM mission.

I think mine ran a littler longer than 30 minutes, but that's a fair baseline I suppose. It's not like they're going to ask you anything outrageous to try and trip you up or test you, so there's no real "preparedness." You know you better than anyone else and that's the whole point of the interview. They obviously have a strong interest in who you are and think you're academically capable of excelling as a student doctor. They use the interview to get an idea of who you are outside of the list of credentials they've come to know you as. Just relax and be yourself, don't try and force anything that you don't feel is a part of who you are or any ideology you may think they want to hear you support. It's extremely relaxed and I had a great time from start to finish, my interviewers were incredibly kind and supportive and made the entire interview rather enjoyable. It's not about selling yourself at all, it's about them trying to get a feel for the face behind the personal statement and how well you fit the groove of the RowanSOM mission.

Makes sense, thank you. That that gave me a little bit of relief. I've heard such great things about RowanSOM and would kill to get in. When did you interview with them?

Makes sense, thank you. That that gave me a little bit of relief. I've heard such great things about RowanSOM and would kill to get in. When did you interview with them?

Late February of this year. I wasn't complete until late October of last year lol

Late February of this year. I wasn't complete until late October of last year lol

I see. Have you received an acceptance? If so, about how long did they take to get back to you on a decision?

To those who got interview invites, congrats. When did you get your app officially completed for review?

Not entirely sure when it was officially completed because I didn't really watch my application status, but I submitted my application on 7/14 if that helps.

Congrats on those who received II's - question for you; were you ED or in the regular decision pool?

My Rowan application status says that it's "verified", but I heard from people that it has to be "complete" for the school to view your primary application. Is this true? My application isn't "complete" because AACOMAS didn't receive all my rec letters yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
My Rowan application status says that it's "verified", but I heard from people that it has to be "complete" for the school to view your primary application. Is this true? My application isn't "complete" because AACOMAS didn't receive all my rec letters yet.

You're asking in reference as to how it's being displayed on AACOMAS right? In order for it to be complete, all the necessary and required paperwork needs to be complete and submitted to AACOMAS. Once all that is in and reviewed, the application is considered "complete." AACOMAS has no idea when the admissions comm. at RowanSOM looks at your application. Hope that helps.

You're asking in reference as to how it's being displayed on AACOMAS right? In order for it to be complete, all the necessary and required paperwork needs to be complete and submitted to AACOMAS. Once all that is in and reviewed, the application is considered "complete." AACOMAS has no idea when the admissions comm. at RowanSOM looks at your application. Hope that helps.
Ugh, that's really bad. Two of my writers keep putting off their letters, and one said he'll upload by 8/25... Maybe I should've used interfolio instead. Since the application has already been submitted, I can't even delete their names off the evaluations list. What can I do at this point to make the status as complete?

Last edited by a moderator:
Ugh, that's really bad. Two of my writers keep putting off their letters, and one said he'll upload by 8/25... Maybe I should've used interfolio instead. Since the application has already been submitted, I can't even delete their names off the evaluations list. What can I do at this point to make the status as complete?

Nothing, just wait. I do believe the apps get sent to the schools regardless of the letters being in or not yet. However, they won't be reviewed until after those letters arrive. I wouldn't worry too much about not being complete yet, you're not that late in the grand scheme of things. I wasn't done my secondary until basically November.

Recieved II for August 30th! My application was complete 7/14

Interview on August 30th. Stats: Overall 3.8, Science 3.82, MCAT 507

Reactions: 2 users
Accepted for 2018, if anyone has any questions please don't hesitate to send me a message.

Reactions: 6 users
They're already handing out acceptances?? o_o

I'd say it's a lot more earned than handed out, but yes, they are. I was on the hold list, with a few other people from last year. So myself and a few other people have been offered admission for 2018.

I'd say it's a lot more earned than handed out, but yes, they are. I was on the hold list, with a few other people from last year. So myself and a few other people have been offered admission for 2018.
Well congrats! So you basically know that you're guaranteed a spot when they put you on a hold list.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well congrats! So you basically know that you're guaranteed a spot when they put you on a hold list.
Hi all! Current first year and someone who was accepted off the hold list. There was A LOT of confusion with the hold list last cycle so writing to try to relieve any anxiety for the new cycle applicants! If you are accepted to the hold list you are guaranteed a spot for the FOLLOWING year's class (so you'd be guranteed a seat for 2019). If the current cycle has open seats later in the cycle, typically beginning in May and going through August, you may be called up. Once the hold list is exhausted they move to the waitlist.

Best of luck everyone!

Hi all! Current first year and someone who was accepted off the hold list. There was A LOT of confusion with the hold list last cycle so writing to try to relieve any anxiety for the new cycle applicants! If you are accepted to the hold list you are guaranteed a spot for the FOLLOWING year's class (so you'd be guranteed a seat for 2019). If the current cycle has open seats later in the cycle, typically beginning in May and going through August, you may be called up. Once the hold list is exhausted they move to the waitlist.

Best of luck everyone!

I am SO envious of you, but I wish you the best of luck! Loving it so far I imagine?

II just now! Only two dates available at the end of September and a few in October

Reactions: 4 users
Does anyone know if a committee letter is required? I found on their website: "A Premedical Advisory Committee recommendation is required. If the applicant’s undergraduate, graduate, or post-baccalaureate program does not have a pre-medical committee, we require two letters from science faculty who can attest to the applicant's qualifications for medical school." My undergrad school does have a committee, but I chose to not go through it and I have 2 science letters instead. There is another part on their website though that says committee letter OR 2 science letters. Thoughts?

Does anyone know if a committee letter is required? I found on their website: "A Premedical Advisory Committee recommendation is required. If the applicant’s undergraduate, graduate, or post-baccalaureate program does not have a pre-medical committee, we require two letters from science faculty who can attest to the applicant's qualifications for medical school." My undergrad school does have a committee, but I chose to not go through it and I have 2 science letters instead. There is another part on their website though that says committee letter OR 2 science letters. Thoughts?
If you do not have a committee letter then you need 2 science and 1 non-science

You can never go wrong by following what the school says it requires of you. That being said, this is exactly what the requirements page says:

The Admissions Committee requires that every applicant submit:

The two are interchangeable as is the case for most schools at this point. I did not go through my committee and instead got letters from faculty members. No where does it say anything about any non-science faculty so I think you'll be just fine in doing the same as me. Good luck.

You can never go wrong by following what the school says it requires of you. That being said, this is exactly what the requirements page says:

The Admissions Committee requires that every applicant submit:

The two are interchangeable as is the case for most schools at this point. I did not go through my committee and instead got letters from faculty members. No where does it say anything about any non-science faculty so I think you'll be just fine in doing the same as me. Good luck.
I saw that on their website too. But if you go to their FAQs page and click on "How many letters of recommendation do you require?" it says a committee recommendation is required unless your school doesn't have one.
Admissions FAQ RowanSOM

I saw that on their website too. But if you go to their FAQs page and click on "How many letters of recommendation do you require?" it says a committee recommendation is required unless your school doesn't have one.
Admissions FAQ RowanSOM
I am pretty sure that if you meet the requirement with 2 science letters then you will be fine. I know my school makes you apply for the committee letters fro DO and MD and there were alot of people who did not get it if because they limit it to only like 30 students they "sign-off on" with the committee letter. If you are worried you could always reach out to Rowan and ask, their admissions office seems to be good at replying.

Admissions FAQ RowanSOM

My school has a committee, I didn't get the letter from them and instead went with faculty members that I actually knew.

I'm just trying to let you know that, although my school has a committee I chose not to get a letter from them and went with faculty. Everything worked out fine for me, so you too should have no problems in going with faculty members over your schools committee.

Last edited:
just got my II today, was verified 6/20! Good luck everyone keep the faith :)

I am pretty sure that if you meet the requirement with 2 science letters then you will be fine. I know my school makes you apply for the committee letters fro DO and MD and there were alot of people who did not get it if because they limit it to only like 30 students they "sign-off on" with the committee letter. If you are worried you could always reach out to Rowan and ask, their admissions office seems to be good at replying.
My school has a committee, I didn't get the letter from them and instead went with faculty members that I actually knew.

I'm just trying to let you know that, although my school has a committee I chose not to get a letter from them and went with faculty. Everything worked out fine for me, so you too should have no problems in going with faculty members over your schools committee.
I just called the school and they said the 2 science letters are fine even though my undergrad school has a committee! Thanks everyone.

MCAT scores people are posting are very high 505-512? Setting the bar high seems really competitive this cycle
It is still early, they will come down as all of those people end up going MD

so do they not review applications in order? I'm confused b/c I was complete a few days before some of you and haven't heard anything..

Secondary received 07/7 Submitted 7/11. Got the email for completion 08/02 and then got II today 08/18. 503 mcat 3.61 cgpa 3.81sgpa NJ resident

I got WL last year, and I am going ED this year!
good luck everyone!

II yesterday complete 7/21!
Congrats on the II. When you filled out your secondary, for the "Please identify your area of professional interest below", how did you respond? Did you write out an essay describing your medical interests or simply write down "Orthopedics/Primary Care/Whatever"? This is open to anyone who got an II, would like some advice as to how to approach this one!

Congrats on the II. When you filled out your secondary, for the "Please identify your area of professional interest below", how did you respond? Did you write out an essay describing your medical interests or simply write down "Orthopedics/Primary Care/Whatever"? This is open to anyone who got an II, would like some advice as to how to approach this one!

I wrote two sentences for that question.
My response was along the lines of "My professional interest includes a,b,c,d and e. I want to look into other fields as well."

(a,b,c,d,e are specialties that I am currently interested in.)