2017-2018 Rowan University School of Osteopathic Medicine (Rowan-SOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats on the II. When you filled out your secondary, for the "Please identify your area of professional interest below", how did you respond? Did you write out an essay describing your medical interests or simply write down "Orthopedics/Primary Care/Whatever"? This is open to anyone who got an II, would like some advice as to how to approach this one!
Thank you! I just wrote " i am currently interested in x,y,z. " hope that helps, good luck!

Thank you! I just wrote " i am currently interested in x,y,z. " hope that helps, good luck!

I wrote something more detailed - like 500 words or so, but since other people didnt and got IIs, I don't know which is better

Congrats on the II. When you filled out your secondary, for the "Please identify your area of professional interest below", how did you respond? Did you write out an essay describing your medical interests or simply write down "Orthopedics/Primary Care/Whatever"? This is open to anyone who got an II, would like some advice as to how to approach this one!

Much like a few other people, I wrote very little about it. I don't think they're looking for a definite answer from you, considering how hard it is to decide from the outside looking in. They just want to get an idea of where your interests lie. I actually spoke about it in the interview some, but again, it's so hard to make that kind of a concrete decision this far out. I'd just list a few areas you may be interested in and leave it at that.

Reactions: 1 user
On the primary app when designating pre reqs it says minimum grades 2.5 although on the school's requirements page it does not mention this, does anyone know if this is a hard cutoff?

Last edited:
On the primary app when designating pre reqs it says minimum grades 2.5 although on the school's requirements page it does not mention this, does anyone know if this is a hard cutoff?

I think that's in reference to the amount of grades you can claim per subject, for example in chemistry you could claim 4 grades but no less than 2. When I say grades, I mean classes. For example, you could claim Gen Chem I- IV w/ labs for a total of 8 grades. That's the only way I can interpret what you're asking, hope that helps!

I think that's in reference to the amount of grades you can claim per subject, for example in chemistry you could claim 4 grades but no less than 2. When I say grades, I mean classes. For example, you could claim Gen Chem I- IV w/ labs for a total of 8 grades. That's the only way I can interpret what you're asking, hope that helps!

It says, using math for example, Minimum Credits 6| Minimum Grades 2.5

It says, using math for example, Minimum Credits 6| Minimum Grades 2.5

That's what I thought you meant. Grades are almost synonymous with classes. You need to fill the minimum credits requirement with more than 2 classes. Hope that helps.

Complete mid-August, RD. Getting antsy for an II

Last edited by a moderator:
Members don't see this ad :)
Complete mid-August, RD. Getting antsy for an II
Takes a lot longer then 2 weeks to hear back. I've been complete since early July and still haven't heard anything. Have patience :)

Reactions: 1 users
II today! LM 70 and complete late August.

Were any other dates offered besides late October? I waited until I got home from volunteering and that was all I saw. I hope I didn't miss something better because I waited 4 hours...

Last edited:
II today! LM 70 and complete late August.

Were any other dates offered besides late October? I waited until I got home from volunteering and that was all I saw. I hope I didn't miss something better because I waited 4 hours...
Congrats! But you were complete late August, and you heard back already? Did you apply ED?

Congrats! But you were complete late August, and you heard back already? Did you apply ED?

I applied RD and I forgot to mention I am IS. I was quite surprised myself.

I wouldn't worry too much. Rowan sends out interviews until February, and accepts lots of people off the WL. Last year I was hearing back from MD schools in October that I applied to in August. Its early and you're not rejected until you're rejected. They might look at your app again in a month or two and say "That guy with the 518 was a robot, maybe this kid won't be?"

Reactions: 2 users
I applied RD and I forgot to mention I am IS. I was quite surprised myself.

I wouldn't worry too much. Rowan sends out interviews until February, and accepts lots of people off the WL. Last year I was hearing back from MD schools in October that I applied to in August. Its early and you're not rejected until you're rejected. They might look at your app again in a month or two and say "That guy with the 518 was a robot, maybe this kid won't be?"

This is honestly the most accurate and simplistic thing I've read on here in forever. It is so true though! Congrats on your secondary. If you applied last year, that may have a lot to do with you hearing back so fast as well.

Takes a lot longer then 2 weeks to hear back. I've been complete since early July and still haven't heard anything. Have patience :)
There's no set time in hearing back. It depends on what your stats are like. Seems like people with high stats hear back sooner.

So I had an interview today at Rowan and just wanted to share some thoughts and experience with you guys. Keep in mind that my experience may not reflect what you would experience in your interview. Just some information, that's all.

The introduction/orientation started around 8:10 and people got there like before 7:30. We just sat on the couch and chatting, people from admission team would take a picture of us and tried to calm the anxiety or nervousness. Today's group was about 20 people, we were divided into 4 groups, and there was one person interview each group. The interviewers may be basic science professor, MD, DO or professional staff. You would not know who your interview is until you go into the room. It is the one-on-one interview.

Try to relax during your interview, I think Rowan staffs were very friendly and did help me to calm my nerve. My interview was very conversational. We started with how my driving was, how my day has been so far (I was the last person) and then we got on the question. I heard other people's interviewer may be very on point that they made sure they asked enough question. My interviewer was not like that. So I was able to talk more about my experience. She asked me basic questions about the ECs and why I choose Rowan and some other "trick" question (not very hard), and then we did a tour around the campus. Then we called it a day.

I really like how Rowan did the interview, it made me really feel that they were trying to know more about me, not judging me on anything, and made me feel at ease so that I was able to share my story, not rehearsed it.

They said that I would hear the decision in 2 weeks so I will keep my finger crossed. Good luck guys!!!!

Reactions: 6 users
So I had an interview today at Rowan and just wanted to share some thoughts and experience with you guys. Keep in mind that my experience may not reflect what you would experience in your interview. Just some information, that's all.

The introduction/orientation started around 8:10 and people got there like before 7:30. We just sat on the couch and chatting, people from admission team would take a picture of us and tried to calm the anxiety or nervousness. Today's group was about 20 people, we were divided into 4 groups, and there was one person interview each group. The interviewers may be basic science professor, MD, DO or professional staff. You would not know who your interview is until you go into the room. It is the one-on-one interview.

Try to relax during your interview, I think Rowan staffs were very friendly and did help me to calm my nerve. My interview was very conversational. We started with how my driving was, how my day has been so far (I was the last person) and then we got on the question. I heard other people's interviewer may be very on point that they made sure they asked enough question. My interviewer was not like that. So I was able to talk more about my experience. She asked me basic questions about the ECs and why I choose Rowan and some other "trick" question (not very hard), and then we did a tour around the campus. Then we called it a day.

I really like how Rowan did the interview, it made me really feel that they were trying to know more about me, not judging me on anything, and made me feel at ease so that I was able to share my story, not rehearsed it.

They said that I would hear the decision in 2 weeks so I will keep my finger crossed. Good luck guys!!!!
Thanks for sharing your experience, that was helpful. What did you wear to the interview? Formal, business casual, etc...

The wait will be killer .-.

@Served
I wore formal (suits). All of the guys were wearing formal business suits with tie. Girls were wearing skirt suits, suits or a nice simple dress with a suit jacket outside. Just wear something like you would wear on a job interview.

Thanks for sharing your experience, that was helpful. What did you wear to the interview? Formal, business casual, etc...
last year, I interviewed with a group of 30
every guy wore a suit and tie, every woman wore a pant or skirt suit

You've only got one chance to make a first impression. I wore a a suit and tie for mine as well.

I agree 100%. I interviewed on Wednesday as well and fell in love with the school and the faculty. I was thoroughly impressed on how well "they've got it together". The interview was very much about getting to know me and not an interrogation session where they picked at my application. I interviewed at another school and had a very different experience, to the point where it seemed like they made me feel uncomfortable. Rowan has a genuinely fantastic set up, faculty, resources, student support and curricular program (both PBL and traditional available). This school jumped right up the list as one of my top choices.

Ah I am really hoping to hear from this school! I'm right within their average MCAT and above average for their cGPA and sGPA. I was born in NJ and most of my family is still there, and I love this schools mission. I am a first time med school applicant...patience is really a virtue. Haha.

Alright, I'm about to be an annoying double-poster. I am visiting family NJ at the very end of September. I'm interested in all of the NJ schools, but am seriously diggin' RowanSOM. It says online that you are able to call and schedule a campus visit with the medical school. I want to visit, and am wondering if this could potentially be beneficial and show that I am genuinely connected to NJ despite living all the way in Arizona! That being said, it is close to a 2 hour drive from my sister and I am only in NJ for about 4 days (2 of which are on the weekend with Sunday consisting of a baptism). Do you guys think it may be to my benefit to visit? I will happily do the 2 hour drive while in NJ if so but would love an opinion on this :)

Alright, I'm about to be an annoying double-poster. I am visiting family NJ at the very end of September. I'm interested in all of the NJ schools, but am seriously diggin' RowanSOM. It says online that you are able to call and schedule a campus visit with the medical school. I want to visit, and am wondering if this could potentially be beneficial and show that I am genuinely connected to NJ despite living all the way in Arizona! That being said, it is close to a 2 hour drive from my sister and I am only in NJ for about 4 days (2 of which are on the weekend with Sunday consisting of a baptism). Do you guys think it may be to my benefit to visit? I will happily do the 2 hour drive while in NJ if so but would love an opinion on this :)

Yes.

Thanks for your response. My brother in laws friend is in a doctor back east and he more or less said it was a good idea too, just to show that I'm legitimately interested in the school and am prioritizing visiting the campus. I'll call them Monday :D

I guess going off this point... I was unable to make any of the earlier open houses in May. Being offered an II, would visiting an open house be useful in preparation for the interview?

On one hand I want to do everything I can to make my interest clear, and come knowing as much about the school as I can.

On the other I'm sure I'll get the same information during the tour during, etc. and as far as demonstrating interest goes it'd be a lot like shadowing a doctor after you've submitted AMCAS.

Last edited:
I guess going off this point... I was unable to make any of the earlier open houses in May. Being offered an II, would visiting an open house be useful in preparation for the interview?

I mean, if you have an II I don't see why it would because you get a campus tour during the interview. Though if you live close I suppose you could just to see the school and whatnot. If anything I imagine it just gives you a better feel for the school. Nothing about visiting is meant to be super personal or interview related though- anyone can visit the school. For me personally, I am super out of state and want to show that I'm prioritizing them by visiting during my NJ trip to express interest.

Im a Texas resident looking to apply here. My stats aren't the best either but I already received an interview invite from another school. Should I apply here or will being from Texas with probably below average stats compared to the ones post on here, hurt me and just be a waste of money?

A person from my interview group was from Texas so I don't see why not. Not sure what their stats were though

II today. Anyone else only see a 10/05 interview date available?
Stats: IS/cGPA 3.42/sGPA 3.43/505

Weird! I got one last week with 10/25 only.

Are they giving specific people certain dates? Or would any other recent II's care to chime in?

Are they giving specific people certain dates? Or would any other recent II's care to chime in?

When I interviewed last year, I only had one choice as well.

I would gladly switch with you if you want :p

I got one this morning and the only date showing up for me was 10/5 (8am) too. Which program did you apply too? I applied PBL, so maybe they're scheduling specific interviews for specific dates?

I wrote that I was interested in ____ and ____because of my experience doing _______. Then I said that I'm excited to complete clinical rotations because I understand that my experience up to this point is limited. Having never even met a nephrologist or a gastroenterologist, I can't honestly say that I'm interested in either of these, but who knows? I might be! :laugh:

II this morning!

I got one this morning and the only date showing up for me was 10/5 (8am) too. Which program did you apply too? I applied PBL, so maybe they're scheduling specific interviews for specific dates?

Good point about the interview dates being sorted by PBL preference! They could have specific faculty involved with that track interviewing!

I would gladly switch with you if you want :p

Tempting... though as I think about it a month to prepare sounds like such little time! I hear the committee meets twice per month so my own concerns about a late October interview are likely unfounded. GL!

And you were doing all that nail-biting... grats/stats/dates?

Interview date given is not based on preference. I had a choice between two days (august 30th and 31st). Way it works is that after you get accepted to the school, you apply for the pbl curriculum. So even if one put down pbl as their first preference and got accepted they still would have to apply for it. To my understanding, they do not pick specific interview dates on the basis of curriculum choice. May just be that they opened up another interview date after you chose

Good point about the interview dates being sorted by PBL preference! They could have specific faculty involved with that track interviewing!

I've been complete since 7/14 and haven't heard anything. It seems like its normal for people to have to wait 2 months, but being neurotic, it is worrying me as I really like this school. Anyone else wait a while and have a positive result?

Does anyone know the percentage of students that are interviewed vs accepted?

I've been complete since 7/14 and haven't heard anything. It seems like its normal for people to have to wait 2 months, but being neurotic, it is worrying me as I really like this school. Anyone else wait a while and have a positive result?

I've been complete since 06/22 and no news yet! Just hang in there! It's still early.